Paul@thefort 17-Apr-17
Jaeger63 17-Apr-17
Habitat1 17-Apr-17
Guardian Hunter 17-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 17-Apr-17
drycreek 17-Apr-17
bigswivle 17-Apr-17
17-Apr-17
I would like to hear from folks who have boss buck feeders. What has been your experience and would you recommend them? Any tips, do's or don'ts you may be willing to share. Most importantly, do you feel they have helped supplement your herds nutrition as intended? Thanks much

17-Apr-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
not sure if this buck every ate at the feeders but he was in the area and on the property and I am sure he took advantage of them
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
not sure if this buck every ate at the feeders but he was in the area and on the property and I am sure he took advantage of them
A friend of mine has 8 of these on his property in Kansas. 1. if you use corn, use crushed corn and not whole corn as whole corn will have a tendency to roll and fall out of the feeder ports and pile up on the ground when the wind blows too much. The raccoons loved that.

2. we blocked off two of the four feeder ports as the deer were eating too much food especially when more than two deer showed up at the feeder. To block off two of the ports, we used PVC pipe caps to do to that.

3. All of his feeders had tall legs and were hard to dump in the bags of feed from the top, when they came in 50# bags. We switched to 30 # bags as the feeder held 400#. He had to stand on the truck tail gate to load them. He later purchase a portable conveyor which made the process much easier.

17-Apr-17
4. Supplemental feeding? It surely helps the does and fawns during their daily foraging and it does keep the animals on the property longer. I would guess it might depend on that you will and can afford to feed them, to what degree and how long and the quality of the feed. It might also depend of the quantity and quality of the natural feed in the area if supplemental feeding will help.

5. if you use corn, make sure it is very dry as we received some corn with higher moisture content and there was mold on the inside of the feeder later.

17-Apr-17
Thanks much Paul. What brand protein or mineral mix does your friend use in the gravity feeders? Does he use the spin casters to distribute corn or does he gravity feed corn as well?

17-Apr-17
I use the boss buck with whole corn and record rack berry flavored,they eat more record rack than corn and I find some corn on ground but I think it's just what they don't eat.Coons still climb legs,some say they put Vaseline on legs a couple times a year.I dump from 5 gal buckets.Stand on the first empty to fill the rest

17-Apr-17
I use the gravity feeders and like them. The deer can clean them out quickly. I would recommend the spin caster to save some dough. G

17-Apr-17
Tony, all of the feeders are gravity fed and when he used corn, it is cracked corn, not whole.

Not sure what high protein high priced feed he used. I know it cost a lot of have it special blended by a local feed mill. Not sure if he still uses it.

He has deer and turkeys on the property plus 7 food plots, mostly in clover and alfalfa.

17-Apr-17
If you're feeding protein to bridge the gap between winter and spring green-up, seems like to me you would feed all the protein that they could eat. When you're talking protein, it ain't about saving money, it's about helping the herd. I'm fortunate enough to live in a climate where that period is pretty short, but lots of managers feed protein anyway. I tried it a little, but couldn't keep the coons out, so I try to have enough clover to bridge between winter crops and summer crops.

17-Apr-17
Love mine. Had to build metal tops for a couple of them though. Squirrels ate thru the tops.

• Sitka Gear