ohiohunter 23-Apr-17
BULELK1 24-Apr-17
BOHNTR 24-Apr-17
BOX CALL 25-Apr-17
ELKMAN 25-Apr-17
smarba 25-Apr-17
Sparky27 25-Apr-17
18-Apr-17
I have two pairs of kenetrek mountain extreme. I love the boot but Looking for something light weight. I will be going to the GILA this year for two weeks then Idaho. What do you guys suggest?

18-Apr-17
Depends on which part of the Gila.

19-Apr-17
16b

19-Apr-17
I have a pair of Nike, hiking boots. They would be hard to beat. Unless you are going to be in malpais or other volcanic rock, they can handle rough treatment and are super comfortable with great support.

19-Apr-17
Lowa Renegades

19-Apr-17
+2 Lowa Renegades

19-Apr-17
x3, hard to beat Renegades for light duty. Not so long ago I picked up a pair for $99 at Sierra trading post.

19-Apr-17
Has anyone had experience between the Renegades and the Salomon 4D's?

19-Apr-17
I've got many years of hard use out of the Han Wag Mountain Lights. Still good as new, with many more years of use in them.

19-Apr-17
Renegades are softer than the 4D's.

19-Apr-17
I just got the Solomon quest 4d gtx due to the light weight and are still built to carry a heavy load. According to all the reviews these boots should do the trick. Some reviews had problems with the soles coming off but with a two year manufacturers warranty I figured I should be covered.

19-Apr-17
Lowa Innox! You'll never want to wear any other boot

19-Apr-17
Had both Renegade is softer and had half the life of the Salomon. Both good boots. 4Ds took a few hikes to break into my foot. Favorite boot currently is Salomon Ultra Mid GTX.

19-Apr-17
I've had Browning Kanaroo featherweights and Danner Pronghorns in the past. They were both great and very light. Not sure if either is still made.

20-Apr-17
I really like my UA Speed Freaks for those warm Nv. & Ut. bow muley hunt dates in hot-August.

Good luck, Robb

20-Apr-17
Bullelk, I had a pair of those and I could step on a penny and tell you the date. The soles were about as firm as a flip flop! Any improvement?

21-Apr-17
Light boots are priceless, I've got some meindl's and some lowa's that are light, also have the heavy duty ones that I will never use again, too bad as they were $400! Heavy boots are fatiguing .

21-Apr-17
Depending on where you hunt but speed freaks would be hard to beat in most of the Gila.

Softer soles will be a big plus on Rocky surfaces

21-Apr-17
I have had 2 pairs of UA speed freaks that were awesome, but the goretex is finished after a year. As far as use they were wicked. Still used them for a couple years each and logged major miles just cause they are so nice and light to wear. Now have a pair of Meindl's that Cabelas slapped their name on that's pretty good as well. Light and has a wider foot.

21-Apr-17
Rocky, I'm guessing you've never bruised your feet. Thats why I couldn't handle the Speed freaks, too many rocks out here (NM) beat the snot out of your feet.

21-Apr-17
I need to try the Renegades sometimes.

I have two pairs of UA Wall Hanger boots and love them. Light. Short. No insulation. Sure, the gore tex is done after a year. But I'm more concerned about light and comfortable.

21-Apr-17
Try on a pair of Vasque Breeze.

21-Apr-17
Ohiohunter, I spent twenty four years in the infantry so no I didn't bruise my feet. That could problem for some.

21-Apr-17

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
I walked a few miles across this stuff with the Quest 4D's and immediately went to a stiff soled boot. If you're on dirt and sticks, that Renegade will be a good all leather hiker.

21-Apr-17
I am breaking in a pair of 4d's right now. Like them so far.

21-Apr-17
I have had good luck with a pair of Kenetrek Safari boots.

21-Apr-17
x2 on Salomon ultra mid gtx. Humped 90+ lbs with them - good support (course, with my ortho), and they stay watertight for the first year, unlike one bud's repeated experiences with 'waterproof' Lowas. Lowas do appear to be a really well-made boot all-around, but the gtx is light! I've got a backup for when my current pair craps out.

22-Apr-17
I had a pair of Renegades and they were super light with decent padding. I get mine about a size larger so I can replace the originals with more padded insoles. The Renegades were nice but didn't last as long as some of my other boots. I have 2 pairs of Scarpa Kailach's that outlast my Renegades by around 2x. They are a little heavier though. They would be better if there is more rock and steeper slopes. I've used and abused them on 6 Alaska sheep and mtn goat hunts. I just bought a pair of Lowa Vantage GTX off Campmore for $107. They seem like in tweener boot between the weight of Renegades and Kailash. If you shop around you can likely find some boot bargains on Lowas, Scarpas, etc at Sierra Trading and other places for around 50% off what most places sell them for. Look for bargain coupon codes! I don't think I've ever paid over $110 for all the Lowa and Scarpa boots I've purchased online...and go through a bunch for working in the field every day plus scouting/hunting.

23-Apr-17
Lowa Renegades don't work at all for me. Had a pair for a week and insole area was breaking down getting uncomfortable due to huge divots at each toe and ball of foot. They went back to REI for a full refund. On the other hand they are my wife's favorite hiking and hunting boot unless it is wet.

23-Apr-17
None of my Boots wear their original insole. Super feet green have been good to me.

24-Apr-17
That is what I like the most about my UA Speed Freaks is the cushion feel of the insole and the thickness to the sole on the ground.

Never had a problem with them making my feet tender or sore from the ground/rocky area.

Wore a pair yesterday and all these trails here in my home state are rough and rocky---Rocky Mountains ya know.

Sorry ya had those problems -oh-

Good luck, Robb

24-Apr-17
You REALLY need to look at the Keen Hiking Boot series (Pyrenees, Durand, etc.). VERY comfortable (no wear in time), waterproof, and made in the USA.

25-Apr-17
I like my cabelas kangaroo boots.good traction and lite weight.

25-Apr-17
The new Crispi Dakotas are hands down the best light weight boots out there right now.

25-Apr-17
My favorites are Asolo Reston.

25-Apr-17
If you like your Kenetrek boots and they fit you well, I'd recommend their Bridger Ridge boots. I have the low-top version. I wear them with lightweight gravel gaiters and I love that setup for early/warm hunts. I've worn that setup on two NM elk hunts. They also make the Bridger in a high-top version if you prefer that.

• Sitka Gear