APauls 28-Apr-17
Charlie Rehor 28-Apr-17
t-roy 28-Apr-17
Charlie Rehor 28-Apr-17
Term 16-May-17
19-Apr-17

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
What do you know about mature bucks? Besides schooling you. :)

I'd like some specifics on what you learned about a buck you were hunting, or killed. Do something different? Spot him in an area on camera? Pattern by sighting? Right place right time? Did you know his general "home range", before rut?

Where my wife and I hunt there's one buck that has been schooling us but I think I've narrowed his home range. Granted, that's if he's still alive this fall. He's been caught on camera during late velvet stages on multiple occasions. My wife had a run in with him this past season in mid November and I had a close call with him in late December of 15'. The only things he's done that's pattern-able would be that he is on us in the summer months (camera) and leaves (maybe) in October. He then comes back late when the rut is over and the bucks bachelor back up, according to one sighting and two camera pics . His primary travels are from the South (according to the two sightings and three camera pics) which makes me think he resides on the adjacent property to the South or in the very thick forage on the South edges of our property. These old bucks make me lose sleep and I love talking about them, as you can see. :)

Let's talk...

19-Apr-17
I'll wait to see what the killers say before I chime in :) I definitely have my thoughts though :)

19-Apr-17
Mature whitetail bucks and the guys that kill them are both smarter than me. I'll be listening as well!

19-Apr-17
Ill take a stab, and by no means am I an expert but I do consistently kill upper aged and sized bucks here in NJ each year. First I learned that every buck is different and to be successful you must learn that deer habits and preferences. I live and die by my trail cameras and have learned that unless I am seeing daylight movement from the buck I am after I do not even go hunt that buck. Second, It is my belief that the very best time to kill a mature buck, or any specific buck for that matter, is the very start of the season, which is mid Sept here in NJ. Most would say the rut but here is why I say opening day. I use trail cameras to narrow down where a buck is bedding and where he is feeding. Once I have an idea where he is feeding, I hope he is showing daylight activity and if so I will hunt him. If not I look for another buck that is moving in daylight. Where I hunt, I KNOW where the specific buck will be feeding each evening/night since I have been tracking him with cameras for two months. The variable is IF that buck will be moving in daylight. By running cameras over a variety of properties, I normally find 3-4 shooters each year and 1-2 of those will have some daylight movement going on and those become my targets. This strategy has allowed me to take target bucks the opening week three of the last 4 seasons. Granted early season a buck isn't moving as much as he would during the rut, but when he does move I know more or less where he will be going and its a matter of if he will do that during the daylight. During the rut, the same buck may be moving a ton, but he may also be 5 miles from where I am hunting and in my opinion hunting a specific buck during the rut becomes much more of a gamble hoping that your paths will cross.

19-Apr-17
My big buck killing experience:

Don't make it the center of your life, hunt when you can and your mind is free, enjoy every hunt like it was your last, right place right time, shoot trad you will always see them at 50, and read every post Genesis puts on bowsite!! GL

19-Apr-17
You're probably right about the heavy cover. All of my notable bucks have come from heavy cover, areas most guys would either dismiss or clear excessive shooting lanes, if I can't reach out and break a stick it stays with the exception of a few rare low hangers. I've also noticed the mature bucks I've watch/shot burn their own trail, they don't usually walk traveled paths and they observe more than they move.. until the rut of course.

I normally don't hunt opening day, too hot for this sissy scent freak, and I don't move into my hot spots until I either get a cold snap or I know the rut is starting to pick up. If you have decent cover and a little rut action they throw caution into the wind, granted if they haven't already been bumped out of their core by pressure. I'm not a camera guy, I'll put one out usually later in the season just for fun but otherwise they have the tendency of invoking regular visits to the camera or bait pile stinking up the place, I do neither. Now these new cameras that send you the pictures are pretty slick and a game changer IMO.

19-Apr-17
ohiohunter... good point on the cameras. I rarely put a camera near prime stand locations. We rarely run cameras during the season as well. Maybe one or two cams. The pic above is in a persimmon patch that is an early season hotspot for multiple animals. This might also be the reason I haven't got many pics during the season. This year, I'll run some cams in out of the way locations (persimmon patch) during the summer, just to see if this buck is still alive.

Steve (Genesis), you're up.... :)

19-Apr-17
The last 3 mature (4.5 or older) bucks I have killed all had different tactics involved.

2014: Had him on his summer pattern. Knew exactly when he was coming through in the last several days. Shot him 3 minutes before legal light was over. He was in the same spot the previous 3 nights at the exact same time. 2015: 1 buck I was hunting. Had never seen him in daylight. I only hunted optimum days. Iffy wind? Didn't hunt. Iffy temps? Didn't hunt. The very first cold front we had come through that year was November 6th & 7th. First time in the low 30's. The morning of the 7th I did some rattling. 20 minutes later and he just showed up out of nowhere. Was it the rattling? Maybe. Was it the cold front? Maybe. Both? Maybe. I do feel confident in saying that if I had over hunted that spot in the almost 2 months before then, I don't think I kill him. And the way my hunting spot is set up, I have to over hunt a set up. I'll hunt it a couple dozen times a year if I can. But I don't hunt if something is wrong. 2016: Hadn't seen any mature bucks all summer or fall. Not one. So I just hunted and put my time in. Day before thanksgiving had a 4.5 year old come out on the neighbor's property. Grunted at him and he came in. Had to grunt a couple more times to get him all the way in. Shot him at 8 yards from my blind.

All that is pretty basic knowledge. Everyone knows these things. For me, the hard part was actually practicing these things. Its one thing to say: "Don't hunt marginal winds!" Its another to actual do that when you haven't spent much time in the woods and you get a free evening and then you don't actually go.

19-Apr-17
What I've come to learn over the years is don't over hunt your stands. I don't have a lot of stand locations but I hunt them wisely. I know its hard to not hunt all the time but if you tread lightly and hunt your best stands and the best times the odds shift into your favor. Its doesn't take much to educate a mature buck. Watching fields in the evenings during summer months and scouting in the early spring is a great way to scout without leaving a footprint on your area. Early spring is my favorite time to get out and walk my spots and get my scouting in, most of the trails and rut sign from the previous year will still be very visable. I agree 100% on the thick cover as a prime location, the big mature bucks in my area seldom venture out of the thickset stuff even during the rut. Also pinch points. Find the does during the rut and the bucks will show. Those mature bucks are hard to pattern once the rut kicks in they travel a long ways. I like to keep things pretty basic I'm big on hunting feed to bed, bed to feed travel routes and sitting all day when I can, as most of the big mature bucks I've had encounters with were late morning and midday. I dont even call and rattle much or decoy anymore,used to do it a ton and had fun with it and worked sometimes. I'll do it every once in awhile still. But I've found out that just sitting in good travel routes is what really works for me. Nothing better then the Whitetail rut cranking in November!!

19-Apr-17
Hunt where they are. Put the time and learn to read fresh sign. Never or rarely have ever used trail cameras and I have taken a fair share 4.5 or older. Here in NY where I hunt a 4.5 year old may only be 120" buck. In states where the season open early Sept. or so, pattern from afar and move in when conditions are right. Ya may only get one chance. Scooby

19-Apr-17
I've killed a handful of mature deer in my life. In all cases it was hunting travel areas. In other words, I hunt areas deer travel instead of trying to find and pattern a particular deer

I don't have access to parcels of ground that would hold a deer in a home range and allow unpressured habits to be expressed. As most of it is moubtainous and deer travel long ways to and fro in big woods. So, I hunt travel areas as most of the Bucks I see it is the first and last time I'll ever see them.

What I learned by mature deer is how crafty they can be. How they are something entirely different than a young deer in their alertness. And, they are easier killed on the tail end of the rut versus all the stuff magazines write about.

As the rut winds down, there is a three or four day period that the big boys are cleaning up or looking for the last does in heat. They are extremely vulnerable as they really move a long ways in doing so. If you can be in an area that deer naturally travel through at this time, you'll see deer you never seen. If they don't find a hot doe when they travel through, you better hope you catch him coming through. As you not lay eyes on him again. God Bless

19-Apr-17
For mature bucks there are a couple things that finally after 40 years of bowhunting,I am going to follow the moon guide more this year.Most common mistake is pressure.

19-Apr-17
I find that a mature buck will do the same thing from one year to the next. The farmer had been seeing a mature buck for a couple of years but I never saw him and I was not using cameras. One year he saw the buck coming out of a strip pit in Dec.. I put up a stand in the area in April. In September the farmer was squirrel hunting and saw the buck bedded in the strip pit. When the wind was right in November I hunted the stand I set in April and shot the buck at 1:10 pm as he checked for does on the spoil pile around the pit.. That was the first time I had seen him. That stand is still up and I have not seen another buck use that travel pattern. It was specific to that buck. I now hunt that stand with a different wind condition. It was also the first time I hunted that stand so the buck had no idea that I was there. W/O the information on the sighting from the farmer I would not have know to make the set. There was not enough sign for me to figure it out. When ever I can get information that a mature buck moved through an area in daylight I try to set a stand for the next season the next spring.

19-Apr-17
Like WV Mountaineer, I like to hunt travel areas. Areas bucks cruise through on their way from bedding to bedding, feed to bed, bed to feed, etc. Where I hunt, it's essentially all bedding cover, and all feed, with acorns abundant in usual years. The deer have favored bedding areas, but can also bed down any and everywhere. It makes it frustrating at times. Some of the heaviest used travel areas (as shown by trail cameras), have literally zero sign, or aren't consistent year to year with sign. However, what is consistent is usage of the route. Some of these places get constant use in daylight from multiple mature bucks season after season after season. At varying times of the season too

What's really interesting to me is the difference in hunting areas. Frankly, trail cameras have really debunked some mature deer myths for me, on the farm I mainly hunt.

I used to think mature bucks were super smart, ghosts, that could evade Superman. I no longer think that. In fact, I've got multiple years of pictures of bucks over 4.5, that walk in daylight as much as some 2 year olds

I used to think mature bucks were largely nocturnal. I no longer think so.

I used to think that multiple sits in a stand were the kiss of death. I no longer think so.

I used to worry incessantly about pressure. I don't worry about it so much anymore. (this would change if the farm I hunted wasn't already 90% escape cover--I've come to believe that with the huge amount of cover on the farm I hunt, pressure is not nearly as big of a factor as it is on farms with smaller amounts of escape cover)

What I do think, is that at least where I hunt, mature bucks are inconsistent, wandering, wastrels. They're experienced, so they may hunker in cover and watch you walk by. They walk in daylight . . . a lot. They may bed near one acorn tree on the farm for 2 days and really use one area, then be half a mile away the next two days sniffing after some hot ladies. They're not any smarter than any doe on the place, but they also don't let their November hormones completely over-ride their good sense. They live off forbs, browse, and acorns, so they wander a lot.

I've never gotten any picture of a mature buck from a trail cam near the same time at the same place on multiple days. It's not avoidance of the camera, it's just that they are that inconsistent in their movements.

Hunting them is largely a matter of putting ones time in on stand in good areas. And even then, a target buck may spend 90% of his time off your farm.

You may disagree with me, and I confess I don't know all the particulars of your area. But with your big 10, that we've talked about before, I tend to think he lives off your place. As much as you've seen him and photographed him, I'd bet he spends more time on his feet in daylight than you think. I just bet it's off your farm. He hasn't outsmarted you guys, it just hasn't happened yet.

As much as I still think of them as mythical ghosts with super powers to detect hunters, I really don't think they are. There may be a rare unkillable buck out there that is primarily nocturnal. But I tend to think that most of those "nocturnal ghosts" just spend the majority of their time somewhere else.

Now here's a question for you. . . . I spend an inordinate amount of time on the farm I hunt. Between scouting, turkey hunting, mushroom hunting, checking trail cams, hunting, etc., I would guess I set foot on my farm at least 100 days out of a year. (even though it may just be walking 100 yards to check a cam) Would you think that my scent from my intrusion (which is so common), would bother the resident deer as much as the scent of someone they've never come across? Can they even tell the difference?

19-Apr-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
this Buck I had at full draw under 15 yds & I let him go. Then a week later he presented me with another close shot that I declined. I had seen him the year b/4 a couple times & knew I was going to pass (he was a little smaller & not as much mass) My wife was with me when I drew my bow & "pleaded" to me to let him go one more year (that is why). The next year I told her I was going to kill him if he showed. I have never seen him again. This is him with a point & shoot camera.

19-Apr-17
* X3 on travel areas * I f can get him all by yourself * You can kill him with low impact all day sits. * A mature deer is a mature deer regardless of score * Just because he scores well does not me that he is mature * Once he decides to come your way get ready because he is already committed * Hunt prime days to reduce impact and increase probability * You can kill on a bad but more than likely you will educate him * He is already educated enough * His will to live is amazing so do everything right * Security, sex, food in that order except early season and late season * Hunt 10 to two during the rut * Hunt places people overlook * The first set is the best set * Hunting mature deer is not as hard as hunting a certain individual mature deer " What I know will not fill a thimble compared to what he knows

19-Apr-17

Now, The places I bowhunt get the hell gun hunted by the owners. They cut wood often in the timber as they have wood burners "for heat" in their homes. They have corn, beans (great for me) + cattle & horses & are in the fields often. No food plots or management (brown, down gun season). I "rarely" see the larger Bucks I get on a camera. MY Mature Buck encounters, regardless of what I do seem to be random. I was never a "horn" hunter until a few years ago as I decided with 100+ bow Whitetails I didn't need just "a deer". I no longer shoot Does or small bucks. I am privy to live in an area of the Midwest where the next state record "could" walk out. Yes, I see at least ONE or TWO every year but not always within bow range.. These 2 guys were about to get it on at around 70 yds when the lesser decide not to. I had a Doe standing 15 yds away watching them. When the smaller buck trotted away, the Doe left for heavier timber, brush & the big boy followed & never came with 65 yds of me. Little guy had passed at 20 (go figure).. I saw this big boy ONLY this time & never on a camera & was going to kill him if he got within my range.. I have drawn my bow on Bucks 4 times in the last 8 + years & released TWO arrows (both missed)... It's just pure luck for me, no hunting knowledge at all. Now, the 8 gun hunters I must say have YET to kill any Buck I have encountered that I would shoot. In fact, they have never seen the Big Boys I have encountered. So, they must hide on one of the properties with less gun pressure.

19-Apr-17

A close up of the larger buck. Oh, point & shoot camera I always carry with me.

19-Apr-17
Good discussion...

Bake... Great points!

19-Apr-17
Another factor is dumb luck and quality seat time. If he gets on a hot doe, she is the one that dictates his movements more so than vice versa. She may very well drag him right past your stand....if you're in it. You can't kill him if you're not there. I have probably had more success hunting on the edges of bedding flats than any where else, but I always play the wind and try to get in way before daylight and set all day, if possible. I generally try to save my better spots for the pre-rut/rut. I don't spend that much time hunting in early-mid October (trying to get all caught up with my work so I can hunt most of November) and those times will be from a fringe stand so I hopefully don't pressure the area too much. I believe some stands can be hunted over and over again, if you can get into them with minimal disturbance, whereas other I'll only hunt a time or two and only when conditions are ideal.

I also try and have up most of my stands and trim lanes by late winter into the spring, although I have hung stands, trimmed lanes, a killed a buck the same day. I enjoy running trail cams but I never use them to try to pattern a buck, more so for inventory/enjoyment than anything else, plus during the timeframe that I'm hunting, their movements can be very unpredictable. Most of my cameras in the fall are over rubbing posts or scrapes along field edges and are situated where I can access them with minimal intrusion.

Lastly, a few of my better bucks have been deer that I had no idea were even around until they walked by me...hence the dumb luck statement. Like Matt stated, enjoy every hunt!

19-Apr-17
I hunt high doe travel areas primarily. I may get 4-6 deer on camera a year that I would shoot.

Last two seasons the deer I have shot were not on my cameras.

With zero ag, not using feeders and acorns everywhere, I have found that if I hunt the does, the bucks will come thru.

There is a drop tine buck that I have got on camera two years in a row. He is in the same area preseason and postrut.

I am going to try and avoid the area early this year and see if I can catch him slipping come post rut.

19-Apr-17
Bake I agree with everything you said and would say that is what I have found out using 14 cameras on our farm. Couldn't have said it any better than you did.

19-Apr-17
Bake X 10.

19-Apr-17
Deaver... "With zero ag, not using feeders and acorns everywhere, I have found that if I hunt the does, the bucks will come thru."

Very similar to how we hunt. We hunt the does and their hang outs. Leave most stands alone until late October- early November.

Bake...your points are valid and what I was looking for. We do overthink hunting these deer, at times.

I think many of the precautions we all take are very similar. Last years thread on this very subject will show you that. I feel that what Bake said is close to being realistic. How many times have we came close to killing these elusive bucks and don't realize it? Actually, I do realize it. In reality, this buck (in photo) would be a Hollywood star compared to some of the bucks I've killed and had never once seen. I love this talk.

19-Apr-17
I have a story. Two years ago I was hunting a public piece where there was a small square soybean field that was bordered on the east by a thin line of trees and scattered red cedars/native prairie grass. Past the trees to the east it dropped off a cliff, a huge eroded river bank. I walked in down the edge of those trees on a day with a strong NW wind and set up in the line of trees where they were a bit wider and there were some bigger hardwoods to set up in. I no sooner got set up and out of those little cedars came a dandy I guessed 170 class buck. I watched walk across that soybean field to the west stopping every several yards to look back toward my direction. He disappeared into the woods on the other side. Not 5 minutes later another I'm guessing 4.5 year old 140 class buck came out of the same cedars! He fed in the beans for about 5 minutes then literally sprinted 3/4 speed straight south past me at 40 yards without stopping till he got to the woods to the south.

I swear those two bucks were bedded in that thin line of trees and smelled me walk by and just sat tight. Then they got up and just casually avoided me. Amazing to witness and very humbling. From that position they could smell any hunter or hot doe that came by.

19-Apr-17
Collectively we could get 25 different consistent mature buck killers and the tactics would be as contradictory as the posts here.The one fact of whitetail hunting is that every "neck of the woods " carry a different socio-behavioral trait that will make one tactic a little better than the next.Couple that fact that every buck (like our pet dogs)will have a different nature about them.Its counterproductive for guys to assume a tactic used by xyz will be successful for them or that every buck is the same.

That said my unconventional principles that I adhere to each year is

I don't hunt trails just suttle changes in topo or internal edge diversions like blowdowns or fresh tops.

I don't hunt "hard edged " funnels like seen on aerials aka the no brainer standsites on aerials everybody is crazy about????

I will hunt "soft edged " funnels where a buck has multiple escapes or options .

I do learn every possible timber food source ......does are far more predictable than bucks.

I do most of my scouting in the prime of the rut.Have chainsawed shooting lanes at 11am and killed from that tree 3 hours later ha.

Don't be afraid to move from thick habitat to more open chase zones as the rut develops.

Be smart with what your experience as already taught you.Chasing the latest fad usually is a waste of time

19-Apr-17
That's what they do. They generally don't make maturity by being fleet footed. In hunting season, that generally puts them in harms way again.

I've got a story to testify to that. Rifle season. Late rut that year. Public ground. A herd of deer got pushed up to me. I know this because my brother busted them. I saw a "Big Buck" among them. I waited for him to clear the best he could of the brush and squeezed off. He was still moving pretty good when I shot. Deer exploded every where at the shot. I lost him in the madness. I jumped off that rock and ran down to the area where he was standing as quickly as I could. It was so thick on the ground, dry, and noisy, I run right in to all the confused deer basically unnoticed. It was mayham. I scrambled up on another rock and spent the next 8 or 10 minutes scoping all the deer looking for him.

Finally they nervously regrouped and left out around the mountain. I was dumbfounded. As I stood there trying to figure out where he had went I kept hearing something very faint in the leaves. Peering through the thick laurels with bino's from above, I finally caught a small color of white through a hole. In that instant his eye jumped out at me. That deer was hunkered down like a cat about to pounce trying to hide. He wasn't 25 yards away. But, he wasn't going to break and run. At that instant, I turned around, lowered by bino's, shouldered my gun, turned and faced him and shot him dead. Upon skinning, he had only one bullet hole. And, his big rack was a 19 5/8" wide FIVE point. But, his teeth were nubs. He didn't get that way being careless.

Mature deer all posses different personalty's. But, the one thing they all share is the ability to elude hunters. God Bless

19-Apr-17
T-Roy, spot on! Not far from you I have killed a few decent ones with the same techniques. A few things that have paid off include, but are not limited to: 1. Sit all day during the rut or gun season, I don't get down even to do my business. 2. If I have to trim limbs, I do it in the summer or spring and carry them out with me. Never leave them lay in the area. 3. Don't hunt near doe hot spots until the pre-rut/rut. 4. Never had a picture of the bucks I shot, but many pictures of ones I never shot. 5. Shoot does away from big buck core areas. 6. Wear rubber boots and have clean clothes on. 7. Watch the wind.

19-Apr-17
Thing to remember is their is a HUGE difference between hunting pressured and unpressured bucks... A highly pressured mature whitetail is a totally different animal than exclusive rights animals... Actually all game animals such as elk, pronghorns, turkeys etc are different when pressured... Have never had the pleasure of having exclusive hunting rights and there seems to be a xgunner behind every tree all October and November where I hunt, so they are highly pressured and mature whitetails are mostly nocturnal except early November peak rut...

20-Apr-17
Always set up where deer can get by you without detecting you. That's it!

Some days I come down on the "just lucky" side and other days the "skill/experience" side. One thing for certain is you need to kill lots of deer to get the confidence to get it done when the opportunity comes to you. A few years ago I posted that you needed to kill at least 50 deer to start to "get it" and took a beatin for stating that. It surprised me that guys thought that was a lot however it's not the number killed so much as it's the RANGE of experience that brings the confidence. If an opportunity on a great buck comes once every three years you must be confident. When I shoot a nice deer I think about about how many times the deer zigged and the many hunters before me zagged and he some how made it to me. Many of these mature bucks are just plain lucky like me:))

20-Apr-17
"Collectively we could get 25 different consistent mature buck killers and the tactics would be as contradictory as the posts here.The one fact of whitetail hunting is that every "neck of the woods " carry a different socio-behavioral trait that will make one tactic a little better than the next.Couple that fact that every buck (like our pet dogs)will have a different nature about them.Its counterproductive for guys to assume a tactic used by xyz will be successful for them or that every buck is the same"

Genesis... good points. The hunt for a particular mature buck is different from region to region and one hunter over another, along with their tactics.

"You may disagree with me, and I confess I don't know all the particulars of your area. But with your big 10, that we've talked about before, I tend to think he lives off your place. As much as you've seen him and photographed him, I'd bet he spends more time on his feet in daylight than you think. I just bet it's off your farm. He hasn't outsmarted you guys, it just hasn't happened yet."

Bake... I agree. Although, he might be on his feet, he doesn't travel far, in my opinion. I do think he lives off of us too, for the most part. Could you say he's just "lucky", maybe? Then, to try and answer your question at the end of your post. I would think ANY human whether new hunter on the land or one that has hunted there for several years, results would be the same. The deer would flee or respond accordingly and similar reaction.

Many good points and methods from posters above. I think many of us utilize very similar traits when it comes to hunting mature bucks. Some are a little more fortunate than others due to region, deer density or superior genetics. Or maybe they are quicker at making adjustments in hunting situations? Then you have the moment of truth when that deer is coming down the trail to your hideout, can you keep it together and make it count?

20-Apr-17
There's a ton of good points. I could sit down and listen to guys talk about this for days. Getting in the Wensels living room by the wood stove would be like Christmas morning.

One thing that I have really started to key in on where I hunt is finding areas where bucks can live their lives while being out of view from roads. Being very flat and having consistent mile roads, I found by lucking into mature deer that I have hunted over the years that they have found places where they can go from food to bedding and have staging areas all out of sight from the road. Timber up here isn't very tall, so a TON of scouting can be done from roads, I do a lot myself. You can also see mature deer from roads sometimes. But after following a a number of mature bucks and killing some of them I have found that they found areas where they can live their lives in areas that don't jump out as great hunting areas, but have everything they need, in out-of-the-way areas. I have now taken to google maps to try and find more spots like this. Sometimes where most fields and areas hold an obvious 10-12 deer, these spots have 1 or 2, but they're big bucks, and they have moved a LOT during daylight hours. Also, I've had GREAT mid October hunting, with these bucks on their feet often until 8:30-9:00 in the morning, and sometimes I can't get there quick enough in the afternoon in mid October with these bucks hitting their feet sometimes as early as 3:30. Another common denominator has been high grasses such as CRP, cattails for them to wander and cover large areas unseen.

20-Apr-17
They are finding that bucks 3 yrs and older are prime carrier for cwd, going be a came changer for point restriction that was in S.E. Mn. where recent cwd was discovered, just a thought.

20-Apr-17
Very interesting reading all the different thought processes on this thread.

The one consistency I've found where I hunt (very fragmented farmland) is the biggest bucks tend to bed in the smallest wood lots. And quite often, not far from busier roads.

20-Apr-17
Camera's may be an indicator for the presence of mature bucks but they do have limitations.

Nothing will beat "boot time scouting"

I hunt a large tract of land with both a large amount of thickets and big timber.

So I would say experience has taught me to,

Know the terrain,

Read the sign you see, "if his prints aren't there, he isn't either"

Stand placement is paramount, "concealment is a priority with entrance to and from the stand being quick and quiet" Be willing to spend time on the stand, If busted be willing to relocate stand, Finally the last 20 yards prior to the shot will require some luck,

Why luck ?,

After doing everything right, he may stop for no reason, no alarm, doesn't wind you, he will just turn and go another way / direction.

Mature Bucks require a lot of "patience and a lot of humility"

:^}

20-Apr-17
Just refreshing to have a whitetail thread without mention of seed varieties or herbicide :)

20-Apr-17
I am far from being a big buck killer, but I have hunted mature bucks (4+ year old) deer in PA for years. A mature buck is an entirely different animal from younger bucks that often times act like does. I do know this, if you don't keep them from smelling you, you won't kill many of them. I firmly believe that the average hunter doesn't have a clue of how good their sense of smell is. I would like to know how many times I have had a mature buck smell me without me evening knowing that he is in the neighborhood.

20-Apr-17
If he's honed in on your fastballs....throw him a changeup.

I believe mature bucks (and does) are exceptionally skilled at sensing and avoiding hunting pressure. In many scenarios, they are better at patterning you than vice versa. Since he likely knows your patterns, bust out the changeup. Pop up a groundblind or even hide in a brushpile. Hunt odd little pockets of timber and cover you would normally overlook. Don't be paralyzed by fear of bumping him as the season ticks away, get aggressive. Instead of hunting the bluebird cold fronts, be out there in a driving storm. Alter your approaches. Jump around to different spots and stay mobile and quiet with a climber. Don't call, stay stealthy. Or if you don't call much, give it a try. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same results, one of my favorite quotes all time.

20-Apr-17
Bake, I agree about inconsistency to an extent (and absolutely during the rut), do you think you would find more consistency on your farm if you weren't constantly in there? It certainly sounds like the farm is a hot spot with plenty of cover which gives deer more options due to feeling safe.

In general I'm a strong believer that unpressured bucks will maintain their core areas until the rut. That core area may change over the years, and a rut crazed buck can get shot 5mi from where you've been hunting him and you'd never know.

20-Apr-17
Ohiohunter. . . I doubt it. While I don't believe pressure on this farm to be a huge factor, I'm still OCD about it, and stay out of my interior spots except hunting and brief flash scouting from September through December. Most of my pressure during this time is on the fringes, and much of the trail cam checking, etc. is done from the seat of the pickup, where the deer are accustomed to regular farm vehicles.

20-Apr-17

Here's an aerial of the SW portion of our property. The red line is our South and west borders. Green dots are where I believe he spends a lot of his time. Orange dots are two sightings... one further west was December 2015 and the other last November. The blue dots are where a camera has gotten pics. The timber along the southern edge is SUPER thick. Thinking of throwing a "Yinzer curve ball" this fall and hunting off of the ground in a natural blind. Food for thought...

20-Apr-17
So you're not really pounding that farm 1/3 of the year, big difference between being at the farm and stomping it up (which is how I read your post).

I think most successful deer hunters have an OCD bug somewhere. I'm OCD about scent control and how quietly I can get to and in my stand. I've noticed I don't breathe b/c I'm trying to listen especially in morning darkness, I have to stop myself and consciously breathe.

21-Apr-17
ohio I bet if you waited long enough you'd breathe even without thinking ;)

21-Apr-17
"I have watched many times a doe come thru and run her nose up a sapling that i brushed my leg on coming in, in the dark."

I've noticed this numerous times as well. In my case it's tall grass or briars in a lot of instances. Those does can be perfectly content and then, BAM.... they stop in their tracks and either do an about face or get edgy. I try to share stands with guys on my place, but they NEED to know MY entrance and exit to the stand, to a T. I've also been an advocate of not educating the deer/does in the area. The way to do this, in my opinion, is to limit the amount of times you go in and out of there. Also, like Yinzer said above, throw them a curve ball. Have stands in several locations if possible.

21-Apr-17
On many occasions I've cut corn maize type walking paths (using several right angles) to get through thick saplings on downwind entry.This helps tremendously with reducing deer usage as a trail which will happen when snipping straight point A to B entry routes.

21-Apr-17
Big beautiful rubs are my best find when hunting mature bucks.

22-Apr-17
EF, I usually get the early season jitters out by shooting a doe before rut kicks in and usually not in anywhere near where I think the bucks are; more like a different property. I think it helps curb the adrenaline when its crunch time. I remember a few different times where I've seen does look up trees they've busted me before, I just moved over a few trees and culled those deer if given the chance. One specific time this doe came in and I was 20yds from a permanent stand, that deer stared down that stand. Had to take her out, too educated for my liking.

Lot of scent comes from your head. I like to powder my hair with baking soda, gets kinda gritty but I shower before every hunt. My clothes never come in the house unless washing, and always always hang them to air out after I hunt.

22-Apr-17
This has been a great thread, lots of good tactics. Much better than the meth, dope, and booze threads, nice to see those gone, they make us look like idiots.

When I'm not hunting in the Midwest I mostly hunt public land around home that is highly pressured. This has forced me to hunt closer to where the deer are bedded. If you find yourself in this predicament set your stands where you need them and try to have at least 10-15 mph wind in order to slip in undetected. I have found the deer don't hear me get in and they will move before dark. If I don't have the wind, I don't hunt them and go to travel areas to hunt. When I find a new area I want to hunt I always spend a few weeks in an unkillable position to watch what goes on and how I can get myself into position. Once I have watched movements and figure out the best spot for stand placement then I will set up and begin hunting. I have to admit this technique sometimes doesn't always get me in a huntable place that season, but it more than helps make the ultimate decision the following year. In doing this I have learned what I ultimately thought was going on sometimes is not the case and has lead me to newer areas that I never thought to hunt. This type of scouting has proved to help me if you can be patient and enjoy the journey of finding key spots. I do a lot of post season scouting, my public land hunting doesn't have artificial food sources, so where deer hang out late season helps me to know where they are going to be when pressure is on and late season natural food sources are available. Some stands I only hunt in the late season because the deer are not there yet. I look for low cover browse like viburnums and young staghorn sumac as well as areas with ferns, deer where I hunt tend to be in these areas when browse is low. I'm not a scent nut but I will say my hunting season technique is simple, head and body hair is buzzed off, shower twice a day, no deodorant, after shave or cologne. Doesn't help your love life, but I truly believe when deer actually smell me I am so low odor that they think I'm further away than I really am. They just seem to skirt on by than stomp there feet and snort for a half hour. One last thing that has been most important in all my set ups is allow the deer to get by you undetected. The wind has to be 2/3rds in a mature deers favor if they are going to travel in pressured areas, if they can't they will only move in the cover of darkness. Setting up an observatory stand like I spoke of earlier will allow you to find the right position to allow this to happen. I'm always looking for fallen trees, streams, hills, anything that makes them go through an area that I can use to my advantage to position myself where they have the wind in their favor and can't smell me. That has made me have more encounters with mature animals. It's not always that way but for public land pressured deer that are mature, I have found that to be the case.

24-Apr-17
Matt... your positioning with the wind is definitely worth touching on. I agree that wind needs to be greatly in the animals favor. Say an animal is approaching a bottleneck and they are coming from the N/NE and they have a S/SE wind in their face. In many instances you/I just need to find that suttle bend in the landscape that will allow access and a spot for a treestand or blind on the Westerly part of the approach. The deer feels content and will travel into that setup.

24-Apr-17
I wouldn't call myself a " killer" but I've killed a handful over 150 and a couple in the 170's. One thing I've learned is something others have mentioned. Don't over hunt a stand, wait until conditions are right and I'm not just referring to wind. Other than rut it seams there are a handful of days each year where the conditions align and deer movement is abnormally high. I'm hunting those days and not goofing up my stands. I also like the post rut in late December early January when bucks become patternable again as they begin to grub up for the winter, feeding a lot during daylight.

24-Apr-17
I think that too many people get excited about getting a picture of a mature deer and forget to "breakdown" why that deer was there and what time he was there... Was he there in the morning, evening, midnight..? Which way did it appear he was traveling? Food to bed or bed to food? Cruising? Is it a rutting area? Lots of questions to be answered before you can execute an ambush.

I few years ago I killed a 7.5 year old buck that I hunting for 3 years. The final piece that I was missing had nothing to do with wind, weather or my setup. It was really simple, the deer only lived on our farm for 10 days out of the year... We never got one picture of him before Nov 4th and never one pic after the 15th. He came in, worked the same doe group every year and went home. So after I identified the pattern, I waiting until I picked him up on camera and hunting the access to that doe groups bedding area. Killed him Nov 8th following a big doe that I had on camera every day going to a cedar thicket.

24-Apr-17
You would be correct Embry. Where I live the wind more often then not has a westerly component. There for my observatory position, as well as my eventual stand location are always on the easterly side of things.

I agree with Link that seasonal stands, meaning go to spots, your ole faithful stand, shouldn't be over hunted. If you are a more aggressive hunter and you are slinking around spot to spot in your climber getting into the right position an area can take pressure for a little while so long as it's not in a constant artery of travel. Many guys I know are constantly moving with herd so speak as food sources change, movement in an area has changed, hunting places like Garrett said where bucks are moving into known doe bedding areas. Some years the does may approach a bedding area from a different place, you could really make yourself crazy if you want to.

I know earlier Bake brought up a good point about your scent being around as you check cameras, as I interpret that statement do any of you feel getting deer used to your scent in an area is a good thing? Reason I ask is I do not use cameras, in my mind (hunting pressured deer on public land) I feel as though any intrusion could blow a good spot, if you over pressure an area... any thoughts would be much appreciated! Maybe it's time to invest in cameras and get a little more of my scent out there:)

24-Apr-17
I like Matt's comments about the overwatch stands ( as I consider them ). I don't do that :), but I have some areas on the farm that I want to hunt, but I'm not sure how to do it, and I've hung some stands to hunt in prime times mainly to learn how the deer are using the area. I may not move the stand for several years, I like to see at least 2 mature bucks do the same movement pattern before I reposition a stand in such a scenario. Once I see it twice though, by mature bucks, I rehang. I try to pattern overall mature buck tendencies versus an actual one animal pattern. I don't know if that's right or not, honestly.

I also like Genesis's comment about clipping paths at right angles. . . . never thought about that, but that's a little gem I'm putting away for future use, for sure.

The scent thing around cameras. . . . Some of my cameras are on areas I access by truck or ATV. The landowner is on his Kawasaki mule EVERY day checking cows, fences, etc., and in his truck or tractor doing things regularly. I figure checking those cameras (some of them I don't even get off the seat of the Ranger) is about as harmless as you can get with deer hunting. In fact, I have a camera on a licking branch on a woods road that is heavily used by deer and for farm purposes. I've got picture sequences of the landowner on his ATV, then hours later a mature in broad daylight.

Just like deer can become habituated to farm machinery, farm activities, etc, I wonder if they can become habituated to an individual scent?? If they encounter my scent trail 50 times a year, with no negative repercussions, are they as alarmed by my scent as by the scent of someone who is never there? I mean this more for residual scent left behind while scouting, cam checking, after leaving a stand, etc. Not so much my scent as I actively hunt. . . .

Bake

24-Apr-17
Individual scent with no negative effects, that's what I was trying to say, thank you Bake! Would love to hear people's thoughts on this..... Not bringing bait to the pile for those states that allow baiting, but just your own continual scent in a spot with no natural human presence...

24-Apr-17
I call "overwatch" stands, survey stands. I utilize them as well. As far as deer becoming habituated to YOUR scent... I feel (as I stated earlier), that the difference between your scent and that of others is just that, human scent. In my opinion, there's no difference. The deers flight response or alertness, will be the same. As quick as I say that, it would be hard to determine one way or the other, for certain.

One thing I will be doing differently during early season is hunting field edges and out of the norm spots. Actually, I think I'm going to hunt more field edges during the rut as well. I've always relied on my "deep stands", maybe a bit too much. Good talk...

25-Apr-17
Matt to me does the single best thing in the scent dampening arsenal and that is to shave your body......amazing at the guys would work so hard to dampen scent and never remove the million wicks of odor dangling off their body....plz don't turn this into a manscaping thread!Shaving is caring...

As to Bake's comment about wondering if some individual ppl on individual farms get less a reaction due to exposure I would have to respond with an unsubstatianted "I wouldn't think so".Common sense would think that as one guy "grows" BO more than the next,It begs the question.However , I just think the exponential amount of molecules minimally being dispersed regardless would override this difference 99% of the time.

On observation stands , I use to use them a lot when if I had a concentrated food source early/late season but just really haven't had that opportunity in a good while. Now I seem to be far more aggressive than in my youth as the bucks dumb down in the rut.I still set up 25 yards or more to help with scent but am not in observation mode when the chasing begins

Another interesting scent snippet.I've seen many times the ever wary southeastern whitetail cut tires tracks from vehicles and atvs while obviously smelling the odor always not detouring due to the odor,however rubbber boots will turn them inside out every time....maybe 1 1/2 old bucks will not.

I have seen some mature does in MS go crazy over rubber boot scent where I had scouted 6 hours previously while I was perched 100 yards downwind in another tree.

In the midwest or Coues hunting NEVER had deer detoured by the same old stinky rubber boots.No doubt a guy could run his cameras off an ATV with minimal impact for sure.

25-Apr-17
Embry, are there cows are that property?

My first impulse would be to scout the western side of the property across the ditch.The east/west cuts make for good perpendicular runs for bucks north/south.

I like the hard timber edge to the most north of that western area as night chasers can easy retreat perpendicularly southward and continue cutting those east/west timber cuts as he heads south.

It's not that easy but it looks like an area where a southern movement tendency could be predicted and leveraged against some northly wind vector.Mature bucks won't give you much play in the angle but boots on the ground may let you find that 15-20 degree mistake he could make once you factor the terrain in????? Just a stab

25-Apr-17
No cows, Steve. The West side is really tough to access due to the creek that runs N to S. The line in the center of the pic are RR tracks. The other straight line openings are gas line right of ways. The rest of the openings are just overgrown fields. The South side of the pond and where it almost meets the RR tracks has made a great transition area for many does and mature bucks.

25-Apr-17
Rick, you state,"he then comes back when the rut is over". What is the reason he is leaving the property to rut elsewhere? Maybe he is heading to a non-pressured, non-hunted adjacent property with more does. Not unusual for some mature bucks to travel miles in search of hot does and only they know why they leave their summer core area..

Might have to hunt him pre-rut when he is on his "normal" bed to feed and drink.

25-Apr-17
Im surprised [not really] no one has mentioned shooting mature bucks over bait - where legal - we know that happens on Bowsite.

That bait must be like a drug or something to them...

25-Apr-17
Paul... that's only an assumption on my part, that is made from sightings, trail cam pics prior to season and late in the season after rut. There was one pic that was during the rut from two years ago and he was in the central portion of our property. Could I be wrong about him leaving? You bet. I still think he chases the girls on our place as well as South of us (where I think he lives primarily). The properties surrounding us get hunted heavily throughout all seasons and they run feeders. One thing I've drawn a correlation to regarding this particular buck is... he loves to move when it is overcast or at night. Who knows, he could just be hanging out and traveling routes that are nowhere close to any of our stand locations. I just love talking about mature deer and their behaviors.

25-Apr-17
Rick, a few years ago my buddy had a good 5x5 (160py) on his Kansas, 1200 acre property, with perfect 9 in drop tines on each side so we could surely id this buck. This property had feeders and food plots and the property was 40% burr oak stream bottom habitat and 60% agriculture. Limited bow hunter pressure as only 3-4 hunt the property. Also the property had plenty of does of all ages. There were lots of good trail camera pics of this buck during the summer and early fall but then he disappeared not to be seen during the archery season. At the end of archery season, a story was being circulated that a big 5x5 with drop times had been archery wounded on a property two miles away, but the buck was never recovered.

A month after the rifle season in December, the local Wildlife Officer was walking he property and a creek bottom and found the buck dead under a blow down and only 150 from where I had killed my buck in early November. So this wounded buck, traveled two miles back to his core area and died there of his wound.

One might expect with lots of does, food, cover, water, and low hunting pressure, this buck would have stayed on the property, but NO, he wandered off in search of who knows what. Buck are buck I guess and sometimes we will never figure them out.

Good luck on your quest. Paul

25-Apr-17
Here's one for you. . . .

I pulled cams this year in early January. One of my favorite areas to hunt, I pulled the cam and checked the card, and had 1 picture of a very nice 8 point for our area, obviously mature, at 11 a.m. I have never seen that deer before, and I generally have a really good idea of what bucks are on the place regularly.

Never saw him before. No pics after. Just one day. Broad daylight, moving. Sun was shining. No does in the pictures. No does in prior pictures. He appeared to be completely alone. No significant food source around besides the standard woody browse.

I have no idea what he was doing there. I'm curious if I'll ever get pics of him again. He had a funky tine, so he'll be recognizable probably.

This stuff fascinates me. Wish I knew more.

Bake

25-Apr-17
Great thread. Makes me realize how little I know!

25-Apr-17

EmbryO-klahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryO-klahoma's embedded Photo
A lot of truth in what you say, James, so many variables. That chess match is what is SO much fun, to me. Trying to figure them out, even though we cannot fully is what it's all about. Safe to say, hunt the does, don't over hunt your prime stand(s), hunt the wind (duh), hunt the food, and make your access to and from part of the equation. Oh, and having mature bucks helps. :)

Speaking of bucks that were ghosts or had never laid eyes on... this buck from 2012 we had never once got a photo of or viewed with our own eyes. He showed up like a ghost. I think I'm okay with never seeing a buck if they have this head gear. Thinking back on this particular buck... I think he was run out of his "core area" by oil workers. They had cleared an area to the North of us which was a jungle of briars, river cane and thick under brush along with plenty of red oaks and water. Basically, his and other deer bedding areas, or sanctuary. They cleared this all out (30-40 acres) around the first week of October which I feel displaced him. I killed him in late October as he crossed a creek near a right of way, on my second sit from a new stand. Go figure.

25-Apr-17
In my last post I forgot to mention that my pic of that stranger mature buck was on December 15. Not in the rut

25-Apr-17
Great thread guys. When I find a thread like this I look for Genesis' posts, immediately read them and then read everything else.

The information in this thread is impressive. I'll keep following and will contribute when the topic is shooting does and 2.5 yr old bucks. :)

25-Apr-17
Bake I love the way you say it fascinates you. That word actually begins to describe the feeling we have with these mature bucks.

Whether in business, or hunting I try not to let the "one-offs" like that buck detract me from the overall of what I'm seeing. As much as we'd love to get in their heads we can't, who knows maybe he was chased there by a coyote, and soon returned to wence he came. If you see him again next year...then it's no longer a one-off :)

25-Apr-17
Bake,when I was reading your posts I was remembering the several times I had seen (two separate studs) a couple of seasons apart follow a 1 1/2 year old buck like he was his body guard.Amazingly I shot one (wounded :() 3 miles where I had seen him a week earlier with the same small buck.Both of these bucks were in the last/post rut when bucks had started to get back together.In both cases,the mature buck was only interested in where his little sidekick was going and had not a care in the World.I was amazed at the vulnerability the mature buck put himself in as he was totally dependent on small fry's movement

Very strange stuff they do.....

26-Apr-17
And just like a big "blue Collar," he's back in the cover before light! Must be rut time for Ole Genesis... thanks for posting up, lots of good insight for us youngins

26-Apr-17
Ha...caught me!!!

26-Apr-17
Since the topic was mentioned a bit here in the tail end of our talks, here's another question... of all the mature bucks you have shot (let's go back 10 years), how many of them were deer that you have seen prior? Either on camera or your own eyes.

2006 - 2 bucks, 1 never knew was there, 1 I had seen once

2007 - No, cruiser (3.5 yr old) wish I hadn't shot him. (woke me from a nap)

2010 - one sighting on camera the year prior

2012 - no sightings

2013 - camera video of him from year prior

2014/15 - 1st buck, yes, on camera prior year. 2nd buck one sighting/close encounter during rut, shot him in January.

2015 - No sightings (5.5 yr old)

2016 - camera pics from early season

All of those bucks were 4.5 or older except the 2007 buck. Is a 4.5 year old deer considered "mature"? If not, I've been killing teenagers. :)

26-Apr-17
Speaking of age, I shot one non typ a little over 180" and asked the taxidermist to age it. His teeth were worn worse than their oldest example.. 9yrs. Accurate or not, he was an old SOB.

26-Apr-17
Since starting to run trail cameras in 2010, I haven't shot a buck I didn't know about. 7 bucks from 4 to 6 years old. Some of them were homebodies and I had literally hundreds of pictures over multiple years. Some of them didn't spend much time on the farm, and I had 4 or 5 pics a year for a year or two. And about everything in between. Includes one 5 year old on a farm where I don't run cams, but I knew about him from previous sightings

26-Apr-17
Never owned a camera and out of my top 6 I had seen two before...all 4.5+.One 2 years previous and one I missed 3 times before I killed him all in the same year.

26-Apr-17
I run a ton of cams, every buck I have shot I have tons of pics of. I cant even think of many bucks that I have seen alive that I didn't have pics of.

26-Apr-17
I run at least 2 cameras per property and rarely if ever see a deer I don't already know about. Properties vary from 600 acres to 40. When I really feel like I'm close to closing the deal on a big bucks pattern I will put out cell cams to limit any activity I will have in the area.

27-Apr-17
My three highest scoring bucks I saw one 5 days before I killed him, the second, I nor anyone else who hunted the property ever saw, the third my friend had a trail cam pic of the buck a quarter mile away taken in September.

28-Apr-17
Something I've tried to use, thus far unsuccessfully, with mature bucks is something a few friends who are very successful with them do. Regrettably, this is more a ML or gun tactic.

On the biggest pieces of land you have, with a snow, start walking. When you find a track that appears to be a buck, start on it. Watch for where the animal has put it's head down to feed - kicking snow out of the way or if it's minimal snow, just pushing it aside with it's nose.

Look for antler marks in the snow, above the head.

It's amazing, how with like 6" or more of snow, you can actually see where the antlers tips push into the snow when the feed. Clearly, bigger racks leave bigger marks in the snow.

For me, this has only resulted in watching big deer run away... but the guys that taught it to me have used it to shoot several big deer for our area (4.5+ YO's) Then again, one of the biggest was blind in the left eye, which is the side my friend managed to sneak up on it from... So that one was just cheating :)

28-Apr-17
Genesis, after reading your story about the big buck and little buck I remember a hunt with my bro-in-law year before last. It was New Years and we were hunting public land in OK and he had a giant come by following a spike. He'd only been hunting a few years and the spike busted him out when he tried to draw on the big buck causing them both to spook. But he said the big one didn't have a care in the world. Of course I didn't see anything that morning...

28-Apr-17
I run 8-10 cams and of the last 3 bucks I've killed (which are also 3 of the 4 best bucks I've killed) I had zero pics of 2 of them, and the buck I killed this past year, I had a total of 2 pics of him from the year before. ( quite a few of him this year though) The 4th buck, I had pics of him for 4 yrs but never laid eyes on him till 2 days before I killed him.

Not sure if they are camera shy, just happen through, live only on the fringes of my properties, or my woodsmanship skills at picking prime camera spots is lacking. Some deer are just more visible than others.

28-Apr-17
Without a doubt my success rate has been higher when I've been able to spend more time in the field scouting/hunting. As time goes down you depend on luck more and more.

With a younger daughter right now I'm depending on more luck than I'd prefer, but if I shot basket racks for the rest of my life I'd take it over having a bad family life.

28-Apr-17
No one has mentioned the 10 or so good bucks you must pass before a "no doubt" comes along. Passing great deer is an acquired taste and not for everyone. This video shows four.

28-Apr-17
Good point Charlie. Some guys are more fortunate than others to have that option. Get em to at least 4.5 and your chances at getting a crack at killing a dandy goes way up.

28-Apr-17
Agreed, 4.5 begins the magic. A lot of deer management is human management and it's very hard to find/hunt ground where all hunters are holding a standard. It took me 15 years before I ever thought about letting good bucks walk and only then because I was fortunate to hunt some great bow only ground in the Midwest.

16-May-17
Thanks for that video!! That helps me hang on until oct!!!

• Sitka Gear