t-roy 20-Apr-17
Treeline 20-Apr-17
Wayniac 20-Apr-17
JTV 20-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 20-Apr-17
kellyharris 20-Apr-17
C.Beck 21-Apr-17
20-Apr-17
My daughter turned 12 this year and got her hunting licsence here in NY. She is a great shot and shoots archery leagues with me. She has a compound bow and draws 25 pounds. Does anyone have experience or knows how much weight is required to kill a turkey. I would use a cut on contact fixed blade broadhead. Anyone with input? Thanks.

20-Apr-17
Is there a minimum poundage requirement in NY?

20-Apr-17
That draw weight would be more than enough. My son killed several when he was shooting 25-30# traditional bows using a big 3-blade Snuffer. I would even think an expandable would work well with her setup. He killed a whitetail doe with one of those light bows - set up with 200 grain 2-blade Grizzly up front and an arrow tuned to the bow - complete pass-thru ribs in and ribs out.

20-Apr-17
Check the regs.. it's 40 lbs in CT

20-Apr-17
come one you know you cant kill a deer or turkey unless youve got at least a 500 gr arrow or a 80lb bow with a compound, 600 gr arrow for the trad. guys........(that was sarcasm for those in Rio Linda) .... 35-40 lbs is enough depending on the regs ... if legal, the 25 lbs will do it too ...

20-Apr-17
For big game such as deer and bear, minimum draw weight is 35# in New York. Do not know if a bow of less draw weight can be used during turkey season, ie small game.

20-Apr-17
40 lbs. in Ohio but I had an old neighbor who son killed 3 white tail with a 28 lbs. pse compound kids bow

21-Apr-17
Thanks for the feedback guys.

• Sitka Gear