Contributors to this thread:
non typ 22-Apr-17
Buskill 22-Apr-17
non typ 23-Apr-17
Buskill 23-Apr-17
Buskill 23-Apr-17
Medicinemann 23-Apr-17
22-Apr-17
Looks like I will be going to POW Island in mid August for work. I'm starting to look into a deer hunt or fishing or both. I'll probably be there for 7-10 days with working taking 6. We will be in Craig. Does anyone have any suggestions on guides for fishing ? On the Sitka hunting I'm thinking about sending my elk spike hunting gear on the materials shipment and going DIY on deer. I've been going back and reading old posts on deer hunting the Islandon here and google searches. Still quite a bit of time to prepare but still kind of short notice for an Alaskan adventure

22-Apr-17
You'll need to go high for deer. Up in the treeless type areas at the mountain tops . The forest can be pretty dense and steep on your way up . If the fog is crazy thick I'd be leery of bush whacking my way much. Wait for it to be clear .

23-Apr-17
That's what I've been reading. Any idea when the bucks lose velvet? Is there much for freshwater fishing around Craig? We will have 5-6 hrs each day where we could fish. Besides doing a charter for a day

23-Apr-17
I honestly can't say when they lose velvet. Freshwater fishing exists everywhere you go seems like . Black bear creek is good ( north of Klawock ). Klawock river is good . Last time I was there some talk existed of making the Klawock river a permit type place . At this point you may have to buy a permit to fish it. Contact the native corporation or I'm sure the fish and game office in Craig can point you in the right direction . Good pizza joint by that game office too ! If you are there late August and early September then the salmon will be running like made . Prepare to see millions.

23-Apr-17
When those salmon are running you can't overlook Harris river also . Several others I've fished but the names escape me without a map . I'll try to dig one up. Twelve mile creek is fun and easy also

23-Apr-17
Send a PM to Muskeg asking for info......he'd be a valuable resource regarding questions....

• Sitka Gear