stagetek 27-Jun-17
stagetek 27-Jun-17
loopmtz 27-Jun-17
houndy65 28-Jun-17
Don 28-Jun-17
SteveB 28-Jun-17
ohiohunter 28-Jun-17
23-Apr-17
I have a pair of Danner higher ground boots and absolutely love them but Iam looking for a second pair for a back up sgoes . What do yall recommmend. Been looking at the Keens.

23-Apr-17
if you absolutely love something why go else where?

23-Apr-17
Go with Danners again but if you want something different I love my Asolos

23-Apr-17
I really like Scarpas and Lowas. I usually can find a discount for about 50% off at Sierra Trading and other websites. I don't think you can ever have to many boots! It's always nice having a dry backup and several boots to choose from for different hunting situations....snow, rain, long hikes, steep/rock hikes, etc.

23-Apr-17
I loved the Brownings with the soft crepe type sole, but they are gone.

Many boots have hard soles and to me that's just about the worst thing you can put on your feet.

Also, pure leather is a must if you hunt in prickly pear country.

23-Apr-17
I gave up boots years ago and absolutely love the Merrell All Out Blaze trail shoes. I always thought that boots were a must, but I actually traverse better with the lighter trail shoes. But before the Merrells, it was Lowas all the way!

23-Apr-17
Amen on leather and cactus!

24-Apr-17
My keens did ok for two seasons and by the third were totally shredded. Never a blister one the first two seasons with them, actually I commented on how much I loved them. Tore my feet to shreds the third. Sole is not stiff enough either.

24-Apr-17
Crispi have been getting a good workout from me lately.

25-Apr-17
About 23 hard days on my Keens last fall with no issues. Hope they last 3 or more years

25-Apr-17
I have a bunch of different ones for different conditions but my current all-round favorites are Salomon GTX.

25-Apr-17
I am now in the Salomon's. Will give them a try this season. So far I really like them.

25-Apr-17
Buying boots is more about what fits your foot than a specific brand in my opinion. There are a lot of good ones out there, but they don't all fit the same type of foot. Don't buy online without trying them on. I have lately been liking the more lightweight mid height hikers like the Merrells and Salomons for most bowhunting seasons.

26-Apr-17
I used the Salomon's last year and they did great. This was my first time not using a tall hunting style boot. I picked up some Meindl Perfekt Hikers the other day that feel great so far. I looking forward to trying them out in the mountains this year. Between the two I should be set.

26-Apr-17
I just picked up a second pair of Danner High Ground. They work well for me. I also have a pair of Irish Setter Vaprtrek's and Cabela's hikers for in truck or back at camp back ups.

27-Apr-17
Check out the new Crispi Dakotas.

27-Apr-17
I'll be buying a pair of Dakotas as soon as they are available.

27-Apr-17
I have several pairs of Danner USA made elk hunters (Nubuck,$285 on Danners site) , two in 400g insulate and one uninsulated. I absolutely LOVE then for all mountain stuff. One pair of wool socks and the un insulated one are more than enough down to sub freezing and snow/stand hunting. I also have several pair of Meindl perfeckt hunters, which are comfy, a tad heavier, not as good of traction, and soles fall off at a few years (MY oldest Danner Elk hunters are 10 years old and going strong). I also like the old USA made OD green US Jungle boots if the terrain is not too rocky.

29-Apr-17
my best hunting boot is the kenetrek .. quality boot

29-Apr-17
I fully intend in July to hike some back country using my LEMS Boulder Boots and if I draw my muzz tag I'll be using them for elk season.

minimalist shoes - not typical elk boots but they're what I wear on my feet 90% of the time now

30-Apr-17
I usually use Lowa Tibets. Or .tennis shoes!

21-Jun-17

del_binari's embedded Photo
I used La Sportive Pamirs for 5-6 years, but they discontinued that line and don't have anything comparable. So bought a pair of Scarpa Kinesis Pro (GTX) and a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX to see which I like better.

21-Jun-17

The Scarpa's are full grain leather compared to the Nubuck leather of the Lowa's.

21-Jun-17

The Scarpa's are full grain leather compared to the Nubuck leather of the Lowa's. Oops, they are both listed as nubuck leather. My bad.

21-Jun-17
I'm using this forum as a sounding board to help me decide bwtn the Scarpa KP's and the Lowa T's. Scarpa Kinesis Pro's ($280 delivered): All seams smooth and no gaps. Snug heel cup. Lacing system nice with even distribution of pressure. No pinch points. No heel slip, no forward slip into the toe box. Toe box roomy (no pressure on small toes, but can feel the side of the boot). Using thick socks used for late fall hunting (use thinner socks in summer and archery elk). Shoe laces a tad too short and could be slightly thicker, suspect that these will wear out sooner than some. Rand nicely done and just over the tip of the toe. Nice beveled rand top edge for water to run off. One issue for me - there is a high spot under the front of the ball of both feet. Not uncomfortable walking around the house (not sure about a five miler on uneven terraine) but noticeable. Fit very well.

Lowa Tibet GTX ($265 delivered): Mosst seams smooth and no gaps some hairline space where foot bed meets up with the rand. Not sure if an issue where water could seep in. Snug heel cup (not as firm a fit around the heel as the Scarpa). Lacing system nice with even distribution of pressure, very adjustable with a locking lug before the flex point of the boot. This can distribute different pressure over the top of the foot versus the ankle. I found this important because I laced too tight over the foot and cut off circulation the first go. The pressure above the lock can be tighter and snug the ankle into the heel cup. Nice feature but one must pay attention to how they lace up. No pinch points. No heel slip, no forward slip into the toe box. Toe box roomy, no pressure on small toes and can wiggle all five toes. Using thick socks used for late fall hunting (use thinner socks in summer and archery elk). Shoe laces thicker than Scarpa's and of a good length for double tied knot. Rand not as nice as the Scarpa, it is a two piece rand with a vertical seam on each side of the boot and the glue joint is not smooth or tight. The Lowa rand does not bevel and with a flat edge will catch water and keep it from flowing off the boot. I suspect that on most dewy mornings and rainy days leather will get soaked sooner and hold more water than the Scarpa's. Meaning that extra care must be taken to treat the leather etc.. so the boots stay dry (that's why one gets GTX right?). Comfortable walking around the house. These too Fit very well.

21-Jun-17

Lowa Tibet's rand, without the beveled top edge.

22-Jun-17
in comparison wouldn't the water just hang up a little further from the edge on the Scarpa's whereas the water would hand up right on the far edge of the boot on the Lowa's? both edges look very small from the pictures. To me it looks like the Scarpas could hold some water on that little edge, and now it is a little ways back of the toe.

22-Jun-17
The Scarpa R-evolution looks pretty intriguing. When and if I wear out my Caminos, scarpas will be on my watch list.

22-Jun-17
Jaquomo, I just got a pair of the Salomon 4d quest GTX to try out. I was unpleased with discomfort of the high ankle pads rubbing legs. Did you have that problem. I was hoping to really like them but sent them back. RIght now I have Meindl Perfekt to try. Althouth I do like the Perfekts, I am on this thread now looking to see other options.

23-Jun-17
I vote for LOWA Like wearing the most comfortable shoes you own yet fantastic for long days climbing. Backpacking boots

23-Jun-17
Lowa generally fits me the best and really, that is what a boot is all about. Find one that fits you and you'll be happy. My latest Lowas are the Innox. They are a lightweight hiker, in the same line as the Solomon Quest 4D. They fit me much better than my 4D's and are lighter. I'm looking forward to giving these an early season work out.

23-Jun-17
Other than the few complaints of waterproofing (only on the interweb), I have yet to talk to someone who did not like Lowas, more specifically the renegades. Furthermore most are box to trail, no break in needed. The heavier duty boots introduce more potential issues as cited by Del above, I appreciate the review.

23-Jun-17
I like my Renegades but they are a little "soft" for my liking in some situations.

I picked up a pair of Lowa Caminos as a compromise between the Renegade and Tibet. I'm wearing them around home a bit and so far I'm liking them a lot.

They're worth checking out if you're looking for a "midweight" boot

23-Jun-17
I really like danner pronghorns uninsulated for early season elk. They definitely are not water proof very long but so comfortable on my feet and super light to hike and the terra sole is great as well. No break in and tough leather for the cacti.

23-Jun-17
There are several boots that are good quality boots. Get a pair that is within your budget. Get a pair that is waterproof. There is nothing worse than wet feet all day. The rest is up to you. You need to take the time to break them in so you do not get blisters on your hunt. Enjoy your hunt.

24-Jun-17

Sole of the Scarpa
Sole of the Scarpa
Checking back in with an update. Apauls you have a point, and all I can say is that with the Scarpa rand being up on top of the toe the water will run down the edge to the side of the boot and shed off there. Probably will build up a bit but the level rand around the Tibets is IMHO likely to hold more water in the situations I'm concerned with.

Bottom line after wearing them around the house on and off for three days with different sock combinations, the Scarpas are going to work better for me.

Reasons: The Lowa Tibets have a compression point around the top of the boot that digs into my skin just wearing around the house produced a indentation ring around my leg a few inches above my ankle. Could I wear these boots and be happy? Yes, they are comfortable enough and I have made boots work in the past. If I were going for apparent durability over overall comfort I would chose these. The stiffer leather feels a minute bit thicker (no way for me to measure) and double stitching on all seams show the build quality of the boot. It is highly rated may many on this site and everywhere you look for a reason.

The Scarpa Kinesis Pro just felt better on my feet. They arn't noticible after putting them on, no pressure points (save the foot bed insert which may need to be changed for a different insert at some point). A glove like fit all round for my particular feet. I have med width feet with high arches and these just felt better. I expect them to last a goodly while, and there are no concerns about build quality. Actually a bit better in some of the details than the Lowa's. They both are nubuck leather with GTX.

Bottom line is the Scarpas are more comfortable and are going to start seeing some trails this weekend!

Thanks for the insights and comments.

24-Jun-17

Top of the Lowa's that was denting my ankle.

24-Jun-17

Rand joint that was a bit rough.
Rand joint that was a bit rough.
Tibet tread. Sorry for the multiple posts of some of the photos. Still learning the Bowsite way.
Tibet tread. Sorry for the multiple posts of some of the photos. Still learning the Bowsite way.
Photo of the rand joint and sole of the tread of the Lowa Tibets.

24-Jun-17
lowa's are well made but do not fit me. for me, I like the meindl's from cabela's. any of the models that are still made in Germany are best. I recently picked up the Alaska hunter. I have been wearing meindl's for nearly two decades, and love the support for hiking, elk and chukar hunting.

26-Jun-17
Meindl are very good Booth as well

27-Jun-17
What Mike said. The Lowa Caminos have fit me perfect from the start, thats a big key. They are enough boot you need to break them in, but it's a short break in. Had them about a year now and they do all I want and more. Even the sole is a softer rubber that is quieter in the rocks and such. More support than the renegade but not the stiff mountain boot the Tibet is. For elk, if you're packin' in light or out heavy they would be hard to beat.

27-Jun-17
I just returned a pair of Lowa Renegade's. The inside of my ankles became very sore. The other issue was on flat ground it felt like the insides of my feet were tipping in, kind of forcing me to walk a bit knock-kneed. I was really looking forward to these being the most comfortable boot I ever owned. After less than a mile, they're on their way back.

27-Jun-17
I didn't use any at first. Then put in a Skydex Coolmax. Those work great in my Merrills. But, in the Lowas the fit was too tight.

27-Jun-17
Used Lowa tibets for many seasons and loved them. Last season they just started leaking badly. Picked up a pair of Lathrop and Sons and loving them so far. The custom fit made them feel like my favorite pair of slippers...

28-Jun-17

houndy65's Link
Hoffman boots just came out with a new boot, I have wore their other boots for years and have loved them, this will be my next boot.

28-Jun-17
Anybody wear Kenetrek's?

28-Jun-17
Ended up trying a pair of Merrell Moab 2 Mid GTX Waterproof. Found them for $109 and come in wide widths. I was willing to spend more but they felt great and light and they were comfy from the first mile. I figured I had little to lose.

28-Jun-17
Kenetreks are a love hate situation. My feet hated them. If you don't get them good and broken in before you climb you will curse them till the day's end.

• Sitka Gear