BUGLELK 27-Apr-17
Jaquomo 27-Apr-17
Glunt@work 27-Apr-17
Jaquomo 27-Apr-17
wyobullshooter 27-Apr-17
Glunt@work 27-Apr-17
ElkNut1 27-Apr-17
23-Apr-17
I am sitting here watching the NWTF Grand National Championship from 2016 on TV. As I watch these guys call I can't help but think how I feel that being a good turkey caller is just slightly more important than having camo boots. I feel that setup, patience and good hunting areas are way more important factors for consistently killing turkeys.

I do think that Michael Waddell will call in a few turkeys that I won't but I honestly think it is a few. I just don't think calling is that important. I think setup is the #1 factor.

With all that being said....Is elk calling the same? Do guys who stumble around in the woods but call like champions kill elk or do guys who understand elk, play the wind and have persistence kill elk even if their bugle sounds like a sick goat? I tend to think the latter but what I know about elk hunting can be put through the eye of a needle. :)

23-Apr-17
I'm no expert, but the majority I have taken have been without a call. I don't know if that speaks to poor calling, or good set ups.

23-Apr-17
It's all just one piece of the puzzle...all are important. You obviously need to be competent at stalking, shooting, knowing when to move and when not to, etc. Calling is no different. Being competent and confident can sometimes be the difference between drawing that bull into your lap, or sending him silently into the next drainage.

That said, there are times when silence is golden.

23-Apr-17
The guys that have calls to sell will say calling is important:)

23-Apr-17
I know how to call and has worked sometimes, but I seldom do. It hasn't worked as well for me as sneaking in and ambushing them. Does it work yes, but it's just another trick in your bag of tools to kill an elk IMO.

23-Apr-17
Depends on how you want to hunt and where your hunting! If your in a pressured otc area I think you need to just about be silent and ambush them, with the exception of locator bugles very early and late in the day but early in the season. In a draw unit without much pressure, just call and try to get better as you go, you'll see some elk.

23-Apr-17
Chuck Adams doesn't call. He's killed a couple bulls, I think.

None of my 10 biggest herd bulls were taken by calling. Plenty of satellites.

Bigdan has taken many big herd bulls by bugling in their faces.

24-Apr-17
"There is a time for everything under the sun. A time to hunt wallows. A time to hunt water. A time to call. A time to spot and stalk."

-The Bible

24-Apr-17
I've found not calling to be a good tactic. Elk on public land typically don't come Charging in to a cow call like the primos videos want you to belive

24-Apr-17
I think calling is very over rated to harvest.

A good locator call is of value.

Good luck, Robb

24-Apr-17
I've had alot of fun and success using calls....both bugles and cow calls. That said, the successes were primarily raghorns and occasional satellite bulls. Once I became more selective on bulls, my calling frequency went way down.

Killed my best bull to date without using a call at all. Used the herd bull's bugles to maneuver in front of the herd and let him come to me.

A single cow call lured my second best bull into easy bow range after stalking in as close as possible....again using his own bugles to get close.

24-Apr-17
Interesting. What about actual calling ability? Is just being able to to remotely sound like an elk good enough if you are calling?

24-Apr-17
Realistic elk sounds are critical if you sell elk calls or want to call in other hunters.

24-Apr-17
Also depends where you're hunting. The provincial park that I've always drawn for has an average of about 5 yards visibility. Go ahead and spot and stalk them.

24-Apr-17
Bowfreak, in some situations yes! As hunters we need to appreciate that elk have different voices mostly because of their age. A 2-1/2 year old bull will not have the same mature sound as an older bull even though they may using the exact bugle tone to convey the same message. Right sound right time. The more believable you are to the elk the better!

By some comments here the definition of calling to some differs from others. Calling is calling. If you call to locate elk, you are calling. If you only call at the time to stop a bull for the shot then you are calling. For some it sounds like when those of us that use calling to locate & kill elk they have in their mind that we call excessively or during the entire encounter. Guys this is not the case at all. Calling has its place in dark timber country to locate elk before they locate you. The same applies in thick downfall country where a silent ambush is impossible no matter how much a bull is bugling on his own, calling is king in those spots if you are to have any chance at all. Glassing has its place in more open sage or above timberline country, it's more recommended than calling for obvious reasons.

As hunters the more we understand what message is being sent as we use calling or we are hearing elk vocalize on their own the better hunters we will be. If you are a Runner & Gunner of elk you will find that calling is an essential part towards your success. Being a successful hunter on OTC DIY elk hunts requires a wide variety of tricks up your sleeve, there's no one size fits all or the kill stats would be 90% each year over 9% each year! There's times to call & times to be quiet & ambush. Read your present situation during an encounter & exercise your odds that will give you the best chance of a close encounter. Finding elk is one thing knowing what to do with them is another!

ElkNut1

24-Apr-17
Definitely not overrated where I hunt. Last year my partner and I called up 14 different bulls in 1.5 hours. That's a record for us, but the bulls always seem to run to a hyper hot if you call during the rut.

24-Apr-17
I believe it's a good tool to have in your bag. And I don't believe the quality of your sound matters as much as what you say, or how you say it.

24-Apr-17
Agree that locator bugles are important, especially before first light. IMO, the public land success rate for everyone would be higher if everyone put that bugle and lanyard of calls away after they get an answer, instead of wildly and randomly calling their heads off with no plan or purpose behind it.

How about "underrating the importance of not overcalling?"

Back in the 70s we could call with wood flutes and coiled gas pipes and the public land bulls would march in across meadows bugling their heads off like on the Primos vids. Now, more often than not, they sneak in silently to the source, even when it's real elk making elk sounds, and they sometimes take 30-40 minutes to show themselves.

Wonder what changed?

24-Apr-17
Without these big calling contests the manufacturers won't sell calls, period. It for calling in all the hunters to get the newest bestest call.

24-Apr-17
Lou,

I see the very same thing with turkeys in my country. I am only 45 but I was hunting when they opened our county to turkey hunting. The farm I hunted was one of the primary spots for the original relocation. :) You can only imagine how fun it was for the first 3-4 years of hunting these birds. They gobbled their brains out and pretty much anyone could call them in. 20 years later and it is a different ballgame. While the birds I encountered anywhere 15-20 years ago seemed to love to gobble they are all pretty much the opposite now. More often than not when I kill a gobbler or even have an encounter they come in silent now. I believe it is hunting pressure and predators that have changed the game. I saw my first coyote in 1991 in my county...I don't even need to expand on how many we have now as everyone knows the coyotes adaptability and ability to survive.

24-Apr-17
The best "call" I like to use is to move in really close to a bull with cows and snap a few branches and light tree raking.

24-Apr-17
Calling is great fun when it works but in OTC CO it often spooks elk! That said I had a lot better luck in CO stalking elk than I did calling. IMO if you are in dry country, hunt water holes for a the best chance at a big bull, unless the water holes are pressured so all the activity is nocturnal (my limited AZ experience). The comment above about turkeys 15-20 yrs ago, reminds me of when I learned to use a mouth call (turkey diaphragm) to bugle CO elk in the early '80s......they mostly came charging in. Ten years later they rounded up the herd and left the country if you bugled at them in most OTC areas I hunted.

24-Apr-17
Kurt, our CO OTC history is very similar.

Now, if you truly want to become a master cow caller, learn to do it with two diaphragms in your mouth and an external reed at the same time. Place one diaphragm behind the other. Sounds like a calf following two cows, and you can walk right into herds.

24-Apr-17
this

"It's all just one piece of the puzzle...all are important. You obviously need to be competent at stalking, shooting, knowing when to move and when not to, etc. Calling is no different. Being competent and confident can sometimes be the difference between drawing that bull into your lap, or sending him silently into the next drainage. That said, there are times when silence is golden."

24-Apr-17
No matter the game, calling is vastly overrated. By far, the best call for any species is silence or more specifically, knowing when to shut up. Most hunters with game calls are much like men with an erection. They simply won't leave it alone.

24-Apr-17
I have 6 bulls over 300" and I didn't call in any of them. I use a call to locate elk and then they call me in. I know people kill big bulls by calling them in but I guess I'm just not good enough.

24-Apr-17
Calling is great for location, although walking from ridge to ridge tooting your bugle all day produces mostly silence where I hunt.

In a closer encounter, calling can be effective in a team situation, but if you are solo hunting and you call, you just gave away your exact location to that bull. Oftentimes, he'll come straight at you looking for you. He'll be on alert, and you have to be lucky enough to get drawn, and to have a frontal shot opportunity.

24-Apr-17
Jsw, that's calling elk! (grin) Again, guys get the wrong impression as to what calling elk is! We are not the Ricola man out there! (grin) By the way great job on those bulls!

Bowfreak, calling is not overrated. If you take a tally of all who have responded on your thread that have taken elk through any sort of calling for contact or a simple mew or grunt to stop an elk for the shot I think you will find it's a land slide that calling was used over 100% silence.

ElkNut1

24-Apr-17
Elknut,

My original question probably wasn't clear enough but I am talking mostly about calling prowess. Assuming one calls, do you have to be a good caller? I can't answer than for elk but I absolutely believe it makes almost no difference for turkeys. I think if you can make a sound that is similar to a turkey that you call well enough to kill most turkeys.

I would venture to guess that since the intelligence level of an elk is leaps and bounds above a turkey it is safe to assume that sounding more realistic is probably a little more important with regard to elk. Again....I have no idea, just assuming.

24-Apr-17
AHH, I see said the blind man. (me--grin) No, you certainly don't have to be a world class caller to call to elk & receive a response! The hardest part to killing elk when calling is the only way because of terrain issues is that last 100 yards! Be believable from that distance in & good things happen! Believable translates into using the sounds elk expect to hear during a specific encounter. Outside of that & it becomes a crap shoot at best, this is where most elk are pushed than killed!

Take your calling practice serious now & you will do great when it's needed most!

ElkNut1

24-Apr-17
Bowfreak, to directly answer your original question, no, calling is not overrated. However, as Jaq and others have pointed out, it can most certainly be overdone! In areas that are more open and allow for glassing, spot and stalk, ambush, etc, then calling assumes a lesser role. The areas I hunt are very thick, so calling is critical. That said, like most things related to elk hunting, you need to know when to be aggressive and when to back off.

As far as being a proficient caller, IMO it's extremely important. No doubt, quality isn't real important when throwing out locator calls. Heck, at a distance you could probably elicit a response with a duck call. However, and it's a big however, when you get in tight to a bull, you better sound like the real deal. He may not pay much attention to quality from a distance, but from 50yds on in he certainly does. The one thing I've found that absolutely enrages a bull to the point he just HAS to come in and kick this "other" bull's butt is to cut off his challenge bugle with one that mimics his bugle EXACTLY. If you don't have the ability, and the confidence to do this, you're missing out on some incredibly intense, up-close-and personal experiences, IMO.

24-Apr-17
Honestly....I don't think it is that hard to "make similar" sounds to elk. Making what you guys would call good sounds is a different story. Knowing when to call and what I am saying.....that is altogether different as I am a novice in this area.

When I learned to turkey call I was a Junior in college. My friend was an experienced turkey hunter and I explained to him that I had bought a Dick Kirby cassette and a call to learn and that I could mimic a few of the calls after a day or so of practice. My friend came over and wanted to hear me call. I made a couple of yelps that were just barely considered yelps and he said, That's good enough. You can kill turkeys with that. The next spring I tagged out on public land in a few days of hunting with a scattergun. Nothing has really changed my opinion about turkeys and calling ability being overrated but I am a pretty good turkey caller (which may cause some positive bias) but more importantly I know what works to kill them.

24-Apr-17
I have killed a few bulls without making a single sound, but I have killed more with some calling. As others have said, it might be just one bugle to locate and then stalk, just cow calling, or a combination of both. Having more than one caller is a luxury that isn't always possible, but when it is, it can be very effective, even on heavily hunted elk. I agree with Like Jaq, I have called in a lot more satellites than herd bulls, but like Wyo, I have had some luck on bigger bulls by cutting them off and mimicking their sounds. In my experience you don't have to sound exactly like the bull, but if you cut them off during their bugle, it really can get them fired up. I think the cadence is more important than the actual sound. If his bugle last 2 seconds and he adds on 3 chuckles, I do the exact same thing. Like all calling, it doesn't always bring them right in, but it can lead to incredibly exciting encounters.

24-Apr-17
Calling definitely worked up in NW Colorado draw units. More than not- setting up in an ambush location, playing the wind, and being patient is about the only way I've killed elk.

The comment about satellite's and cow calls is good- but I'd shoot a cow before a satellite so that does not do much for me.

24-Apr-17
Bowfreak, had to laugh. This season I called two mature toms in to 20 yards when my box call fell off my day pack as I was reaching for the water bottle. It squawked like no turkey I've ever heard, the two toms sounded off and came running across the opening and in to the timber by my setup, gobbling all the way.

Don't know what I said, but it sure fired them up!

24-Apr-17
It doesn't surprise me. Turkeys are stupid and unpredictable but they can at times make a guy lose his religion. Lol.

24-Apr-17
Over calling is a big problem in the area I hunt. Many of these hunters have never learned the basics of getting close and setting up. I know Elknut and others try to communicate the basics of hunting, setting up and waiting, but it falls on too many deaf ears. "Run and gun" sure comes through, as these impatient elk chasers can only wait 5 minutes max then they take off for 100 yards and start calling again. That is repeated again and again. I had a guy stop by camp a few years ago about 2:00 PM. He had a necklace of cow calls and a grunt tube over his shoulder. He was beat. He told me he had hiked and called for 17 miles. It was a good day. He saw several elk.

24-Apr-17
Is calling overrated? Depends... Works pretty well on satellite bulls. I don't recommend calling at all if you're after a herd bull... Let them do all the talking while you sneak in.

24-Apr-17
Met this guy once in the Breaks..... I had my little primos flute and was getting nowhere fast, any reactions were pretty much the opposite of what I wanted. Folks told me the elk were pretty much uncallable in the unit, calling doesn't work, etc. I was talking to him about that..... his reply was calling works.... you just have to be GOOD at it. All the sounds, not just a 3 note bugle.... know when to call and when to shut up (which many times is most the time.) But to have your best shot at it, you have to be good at it.

I went home and for the next year probably wore out a couple dozen diaphragms in the closet with the door closed. I got much better at it. And you know what? I started having a blast. Haven't killed a bunch, but that's more my fault on the set ups. Solo can be tough, they pin you down to within a couple feet is seems. Bulls hang up at 60 and are just too wary, sometimes spitting close and no shot, sometimes you can hear em as they methodically work their way downwind and bust you. Herd bulls I'm finding are almost another animal. I fail a lot a set ups. That is where I have to focus getting better at. But every now and then.... Fun to call in for buddies too and watch them kill em. Sitting water or treestands in some places is very..... effective. Spot and stalk is pretty cool. But IMO calling elk is hands down the most fun you can have with your clothes on....

To the OP..... Bigdan was spot on. Like most everything in life...... getting good at it will normally yield much better results.

25-Apr-17
Alot has to do with what's going on socially with elk in the spot you have your boots in. If a bull has been dry humping a tree for a day or three..... ya never know what he does with the next thing he hears.....lots of fat girls at bars go home with..... somebody..... hehehehe.....

25-Apr-17
Bigdan's example tells me that being a good caller will result in killing mature elk. He's killed mature bull elk for decades by calling, DIY, most of them not in top-tier units where bulls are more easily called in.

Sure, there's lots of people that kill elk without calling. People also kill huge white tail without calling/rattling. You put your butt in the right place with the right setup/conditions and they'll walk right past you without you ever making a sound. That doesn't mean a lick when it comes to calling. It just means that putting your butt in the right place can result in you shooting a bull, whether you ambushed him or stalked him.

I don't only hunt elk by calling, but I know one thing for sure - *for me* calling has resulted in many more shot opportunities than any other way, has been the only way I've ever killed elk, and is buckets more fun.

That said, I hunted a public land giant this past year that absolutely would not come to calls that I tried in every way I knew how over several days. I figured out that *I* need to ambush him and hopefully I'll get the chance this September. Perhaps Bigdan could call him in, but I'm not Bigdan. I call in several elk every year. But there are people that are waaaay better at it than I am, so I'd say it's not overrated.

Every animal in every scenario can be killed if you hunt it right. That's one of the things that's so rewarding about hunting: Are you good enough to outmatch the animal on its own terms more than blind luck will allow?

25-Apr-17
Only overrated if it's not working... if they're responding, you'd better know what you're doing!

25-Apr-17

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
2016 - called in from 300 yards away in heavy dark timber! Couldn't get closer but could hear him bugling! Plan B!
2016 - called in from 300 yards away in heavy dark timber! Couldn't get closer but could hear him bugling! Plan B!
2015- Same thick stuff, nearly impossible to sneak through without being heard! Plan B, call him to us! He came in from behind.
2015- Same thick stuff, nearly impossible to sneak through without being heard! Plan B, call him to us! He came in from behind.
No doubt respectable/believable calling can be an asset, if as a hunter you feel you lack in sounding good enough to use your calling anytime it's needed then you will most likely shy away from doing so. This shows you lack confidence! Bowfreak, do your practicing now in the off season if you feel you fall into this category. Heck, we all need it, there's no one that couldn't use a bit of polishing up before the season. The better you are the more likely you will use it! The next key is knowing when to use it! (grin)

As much as many of us would love to slip in unannounced to a bugling bull it's just not possible in a lot of country elk inhabit. There's so much downfall & underbrush that you will be heard on your approach, then there's cows between you & the bull, there's the wind to contend with. We need to evaluate our situation when in each individual encounter & hopefully read the Situation correctly & apply a method that will give us the best odds for a close encounter. First & foremost I do my best to try to slip in the direction of elk I know are there with no calling. If I get to the point because of terrain obstacles/cows in the way & this is no longer possible I now adjust my thinking & go to plan B. What that plan is depends on the action I'm hearing, this will tell me if I have an aggressive bull or a non aggressive bull I'm dealing with. Bottom line, multiple aggressive bugling bulls represents defensive action & means there's a hot cow present, this is a good candidate to be aggressive with. A bull bugling on his own from same area every 5-15 minutes represents a bull Advertising himself, he's looking for cows to build his harem, this is not a Location bugle & he's not interested in a confrontation, if you get aggressive with this bull off the get go you have a 5% chance of killing him, this is a bull you must start by being subtle with if calling is needed, you can amp things up once the hook is set, patience is a virtue here. Reading A Situation & hunting smart go hand in hand.

These two photos here show some of the terrain that is encountered where slipping in silent is not an option so calling is needed to seal the deal!

ElkNut1

25-Apr-17
Elknut,

I don't lack confidence in blowing on a call to and mimicking sounds. Making elk sounds are not super difficult. Yes...I can become way better at it but it is not difficult. I also don't lack confidence in killing an animal with my bow. What I lack is experience on how to close the deal on elk. I could make the most beautiful sounds in the world on elk calls and if knowledge and experience is not up to snuff it won't matter. Time, persistence and experience is what I need and with every season I am learning more.

25-Apr-17
Calling Elk is the single most over hyped, over marketed tactic in the hunting industry. Calling has cost more guys Bulls by double than it has ever killed...

25-Apr-17
Too often calling is used as a substitute for good hunting skills. A grunt tube and a diaphragm no more makes you a lethal hunter than picking up a football makes you a Marcus Mariota. If a person learns to hunt well and how to set up, then their calls can be a good tool. Used otherwise and a person is just courting disappointment.

25-Apr-17
I agree with Elkman when it comes to solo hunters. More elk would be killed if solo hunters shut up and moved in on the bull rather than calling him straight in, the bull hangs up or circles behind, bolts, never seen again. I've killed my share of bulls with solo calling but have had more opportunities blown.

Team calling setups are a different story, provided each guy is in synch and the primary caller knows what he's doing. I prefer the added challenge of solo hunting but no question team calling is very effective if done the right way. Problem is, it takes a lot of experience to learn all the nuances. Newer hunters don't have that experience and end up educating a lot of bulls.

25-Apr-17
Bowfreak, one thing you bring up in your original post is HUGE yet I didn't notice it right off! You mention Setup as # 1 -- That is a great evaluation & one of the most overlooked things in elk & turkey hunting. When an animal has the luxury to get to a spot where he can or should see the source of the calling & sees little to nothing especially in elk hunting then that's where they hang-up! Remove that from the equation & your close encounters increase dramatically because animals will stay in search mode until they get to where they can see & this needs to be at an area that puts them into your range.

Good smart calling & a good setup are paramount in dark timber country! The greatest calling is for want if you have a lousy setup. The same applies to stalking, you can be the greatest stalker around but when you hit the downfall crap that halts you your odds drop off the table for success. The versatile hunter that is able to think clearly & weigh his options with what he's faced with will find a way in many cases! Being one dimensional can cost us!

ElkNut1

ElkNut1

25-Apr-17
Some really interesting replies here....A lot of it has to do with timing when it comes to calling.

25-Apr-17
Willieboat, seeing as how you've killed more elk than anyone else posting on this thread, what are your thoughts on timing?

25-Apr-17
Good post swede. I'm also interested in Willieboat's thoughts on timing.

25-Apr-17
IMO if non-res elk hunters that travel a good distance to hunt elk for a week exercised timing, patience and stealth [like they do at their WT deer stands] they would probably be more successful

25-Apr-17
Timing to me is letting them get to their beds and getting comfortable for the day. I tend to hunt country that is a little more open than most. If i can sit back all morning watching a herd get to the patch of trees they are going to bed in for the day, I'm gonna be able to get in tight with them. By mid day the wind is usually pretty stable also.

Sneak in as close as you dare to then start by raking a tree first ! A lot of times that is all you need.

Yes i can hunt them in the trees also, but i have much greater success because i have figured out how to hunt open country.

We are all gonna go about it a little different....But one thing is for sure...Nobody knows more than all of us combined;)

25-Apr-17
Hunting bedding areas is our # 1 destination for killing bulls! Hunt them where they want to be instead of chasing them & your odds increase 10 fold!

ElkNut1

25-Apr-17
A big problem I have is getting an elk to keep talking. I'm hunting heavily timbered country and often the elk aren't talking its hard to figure out where they're at. Looking at the expansive terrain it feels like a needle in a haystack, especially when feed, water and shelter are nearly everywhere. A locate bugle sometimes will only illicit one or two far off responses and then nothing. With only that much, it's hard to figure how far away they are, are they moving and if so what direction?

This year I'll be going completely solo to Wyoming and hopefully can break my curse! But I plan going later than I have in the past, hoping the elk may be more vocal so I can have better odds of locating and stalking them.

25-Apr-17
Too many guys are equating calling to killing.

The example of turkey hunting was used - the epitome of turkey hunting is calling in a mature tom and shooting it. NO other way is considered more rewarding than fooling a mature bird. Argue all you want but that's held as the highest goal. That's why fall hunting isn't as popular or rewarding.

Elk calling is the same scenario - when you can fake out a mature bull to come into bow range you have just accomplished the pinnacle of elk hunting. I've had bulls close enough that they were throwing bushes on me as they raked them (yet frustrating enough I couldn't get a shot).

I'm not saying other ways aren't effective or bad - they just aren't the same.

25-Apr-17
Well if your not a good caller it would be over rated That's why guys use cow calls Most can't bugle good enough to call anything 10% off the hunters kill 90% of the elk That will never change. Public land bulls are much harder to call in. Private Land bulls are much easier to call . One of the reasons I like to hunt the first week of the season is that the bulls have not been messed with. The longer the season goes on the less chances you will have.

26-Apr-17
"That's why guys use cow calls Most can't bugle good enough to call anything"

Or it's because they have been successful using cow calls or a combination of cow calls and bugles. It's also possible they are roughing it out in highly pressured OTC units hunting lower aged class bulls who are susceptible to cow calls.

26-Apr-17
Or they have all their bottom teeth and can't make those special "Bigdan" sounds!

:)

26-Apr-17
Good point, Lou. ;^)

26-Apr-17
What's funny is that I describe many calling setups and strategies to create close shots in my new elk tactics feature in the current issue of Traditional Bowhunter.

Also collaborated with cnelk and OTCwill for an elk hunting article coming in Bowhunter in June. Some calling info in there and probably too late to edit it out..

Don't pay attention to any of the suggestions. They don't work and are highly overrated! ;)

26-Apr-17
Since the OP referenced turkey calling in the first thread, and compared it to elk hunting, one big fact that was not mentioned is that when turkey hunting, hunters PRIMARILY use hen [female] sounds. When elk hunting many also also cow [female] sounds.

Maybe because it works?

Or maybe maybe most turkey hunters "cant gobble good enough to call anything"

26-Apr-17
listen to the elk and give them what they want. On heavily hunted public land, where 9 times out of 10, you don't hear them calling, I pretty much don't call. On private, where they are a lot more vocal, I have used it with a lot of success. The last ranch I hunted on I called in 3 bulls in the space of 2 hours with a cow call. That said, none of them were herd bulls. I would not go on any elk hunt without at least a cow call though.

26-Apr-17
I liken calling to trolling big lures for big fish like Marlin. Sure you can get bit below the water but there's nothing better than a top water bite. Nothing.

When calling it's about that amazing experience using multiple senses.

27-Apr-17

BUGLELK's embedded Photo
Bugle. Shoot. Pack. Repeat...
BUGLELK's embedded Photo
Bugle. Shoot. Pack. Repeat...

BUGLELK's Link
Man, I can't believe the folks that are on the "elk-calling-is-overrated" bandwagon! :-) Why else would anyone want to hunt elk??? Just kidding, but seriously, I can't think of a more exciting hunting experience than calling a mature herd bull into close quarters. If I wanted to hunt an animal that didn't call, I could think of a lot of other animals that aren't as heavy to pack out!

A few thoughts after reading through the posts...

ELKMAN said, "Calling Elk is the single most over hyped, over marketed tactic in the hunting industry. Calling has cost more guys Bulls by double than it has ever killed..."

I couldn't agree less... :-) In my opinion, bad calling has cost guys bulls, yes, but good calling, not hardly. And I'm not talking about being a good caller in terms of quality sounds. Knowing what to say and when to say it, and more importantly, how to say it, is the key. Once you figure that out, calling can be incredibly effective, and in my experience, takes the elk hunting experience and success to new levels.

txhunter58 said, "listen to the elk and give them what they want." Very wise words for sure. You can't just go out and expect to call in an elk doing the exact same thing every day of the season. It takes understanding elk and elk behavior to effectively use calls to communicate with elk. However, many of my experiences regarding elk densities have been opposite from what txhunter58 described. I usually prefer to rely on my calls more on heavily-pressured, public land, OTC bulls. When I get into an area where there are a lot of elk and a lot of vocalization (draw units, etc.), that is probably when I'm going to be most likely to put the calls away for a few minutes and start shadowing the bugling bulls. If I can single out one bull that is somewhat responsive, I will attack him with calling. When there are multiple bulls bugling, it can be more difficult to get the attention of a mature bull with the calls. Regardless, calling without understanding what the elk are saying - or what you are saying to the elk - is not going to be very effective.

Lastly, when someone like willieboat talks about elk hunting...listen closely to every word! :-)

Carry on...

Many thanks, Corey Jacobsen Elk101.com

27-Apr-17
Corey, to ELKMAN's point, with which I agree in principle, is that most elk hunters don't put in the time and effort to become accomplished virtuoso callers. They buy a few calls, watch some videos, then strike out into the woods saying the wrong things at the wrong times, or worse, with the wrong setups, so they negatively educate the elk.

I'd wager that 95% of elk hunters have no clue what they're saying or why. A few get lucky once in awhile and accidentally make the right sounds and a bull comes in. Otherwise the success rate would be significantly higher than mid-single digits on public land.

27-Apr-17
Calling is one of the most important tools in killing elk.

Calling is one of the biggest reasons people don't kill elk.

I could write a 3 book series on the latter statement and fill up most of an index card on the former :^)

27-Apr-17
Scoot, I agree. Calling is an important tool in the kit, but in the wrong hands it can be a big detriment to success.

27-Apr-17
Completely agree. A violin can make beautiful music in the right hands. OTOH, it can sound worse than fingernails on a chalkboard in the wrong hands.

27-Apr-17
Hey, that hits little too close to home. I should change my name to "WrongHands".

*Hoof thumps and sticks breaking fades

"We should have just closed in. The wind is perfect, ground is wet and good cover!?"

"Sorry, I thought I could pull him in"

"You always think that. Are you here to call elk or kill elk?"

"Ummm, actually.."

"Never mind, lets go find some more."

"You mean locate bugle?"

"No"

"Sneak into the bedding area and cow call?"

"No"

"Go over the hill and do a blind call set-up?"

"No"

"You mean put my calls away?"

"Thank you"

"Ok, we'll just rake trees I guess. I didn't bring my rattling horns"

"Are you kidding me?"

"Sort of"

27-Apr-17
Calls in the right hands certainly can make a difference just as a golf club can look good in the right hands. That same club can look like crap in the wrong hands! The real problem with most hunters these days isn't the areas they're hunting it's that they do not do what it takes to become a better caller & knowing when & when not to use those calls. You will get out of calling what you put into it, just like your golf game! (grin)

Those of us that recommend calling do so because it can work in a huge way towards ones success, but, if you're one of those guys that wants maximum benefits with minimum amount of effort put forth it won't sit well when it comes to calling elk or about anything in life.

One of the biggest issues I see on a yearly basis is guys do not call enough, they expect the elk to do all the calling, when the elk do not do this these hunters are silent most the day themselves, this is a mistake. Many days you have to make things happen. Now if you are sitting an ambush spot or destination area then that can change things. But if you want the biggest adrenaline rush elk hunting has to offer take the challenge at beating elk at their own game on their home court, there's no better satisfaction in life! You will quickly realize that knowing a couple cow calls & bugles won't cut it. Calling is an art.

If you haven't taken many elk in your career then lower the bar & get some bow kills under your belt, don't feel you are under peer pressure here & it has to be a 5-6 point or nothing! You gain confidence by being successful, all elk are trophies!

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear