elkstabber 26-Apr-17
YZF-88 28-Apr-17
cnelk 28-Apr-17
TD 29-Apr-17
YZF-88 29-Apr-17
24-Apr-17

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Has this ever happened to any of your DeLorme inReach screens? Took it out to check in this past weekend and screen went crazy. I keep it wrapped up in my first aid kit AND my rain gear AND I have a custom 3D printed cover over the buttons all the time. I just tried a soft reboot per customer service. Waiting for advice from them on what to do next. Please advise if you've had this happen or had any experience with their customer service.

In the pic I just blocked out my name and state but you can see the right 3/4 of the screen is crazy and the upper right looks like the birthmark on Gorbachev's head.

I really, really like this device and hope to get the situation resolved ASAP.

24-Apr-17
Is this a new Garmin Inreach? Why I bring it up is I've had five Garmin GPS screen failures over the years and wonder about their reliability. My experience resembles the Inreach photo above in four cases and the fifth failure was the screen totally breaking on a touch screen Oregon model. No recourse to fix em through Garmin in my experience either.

24-Apr-17
Looks like the DeLorme. I don't know that there are many if any Garmin units out there yet. They should be designated on the unit "In Reach SE +" if they are a Garmin.

24-Apr-17
This is the inReach before Garmin purchased it. I am working my way through Garmin customer service. Hope it doesn't take a while.

25-Apr-17
Please keep us updated. I'm considering purchasing one and your experience will influence my decision.

25-Apr-17
I've been emailing them back and forth this week. Since it's past my 90 day warranty, I'm going to pay $170 for a refurbished one. A new one is not in the budget this year...neither is this one actually but personally this is truly a "need" rather than a "want". I went home at lunch and put it in the mailbox so I'll keep everyone updated. At this point I do not know if I'll get the original inReach or the Garmin version. When I get my refurbished unit, I need to call them so they can activate it. I'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully I'll have it in a week.

25-Apr-17
I can't wait until we get InReach technology in our iPhone/Smartphone! It has to be possible and there sure is a demand for it!

26-Apr-17
Are there any alternatives to the InReach communicator? The only one that I know of is the Cerberus and my experience with it wasn't ideal.

28-Apr-17
Update: The refurbished model showed up today. I figured out how to activate it, sync it, switch my user over to it an cancel the service for the old one. Just hope I don't get charged twice this month for the fee. My only beef is the lid on the USB port doesn't want to stay closed. Not happy about that. It ended up costing $160 or $170 and only took 4 days. What a hassle. Really didn't budget for this right now.

28-Apr-17
If you slide the USB lid down just a tad after you put it in place it will stay closed.

29-Apr-17
You have a hunting budget?

How much college does a kid really need anyway..... ya know, in real life...... =D

29-Apr-17
Well I just got an invoice and they did end up charging me a monthly fee for two devices so now I have to get that straightened out. Good grief.

• Sitka Gear