JDM 28-Apr-17
Brotsky 28-Apr-17
dgildy 29-Apr-17
donnybowhunter 29-Apr-17
Pigsticker 29-Apr-17
26-Apr-17

JLS's embedded Photo
JLS's embedded Photo
T-150 and counting folks! Are you getting ready? Hopefully you are diversifying your training, and doing some weights if you are an endurance guy, and doing some endurance work if you're a weights guy.

I'm hunting a man eater of a unit this year, so I'm doing more hill training than normal. This hill is 800 ft elevation in 0.2 miles. I go down and back up with 50 lbs in my backpack, and do this 2x a week. Right now, it takes me 30 minutes to go down and back up. My goal is to be doing 2x down and up in under an hour.

Heavy weights at least once a week,(including dead lifts, sumo deadlifts, full range of motion back squats, pullups, KB swings, etc), and some mountain biking and trail running mixed in.

Train hard and train smart!

26-Apr-17
For now I have been doing a full body weight work out twice a week. For cardio it's been 45 lb pack on the treadmill 6 days a week.

I think this is my last week on the jobsite. So when I get back to the office. Things will pick up. Running hills as well as mtn biking. The weights will get increased to 4 days a week as well.

These long days on the jobsite make workouts difficult. I am ready for a 10 hour work day instead of a 12 to 14.

26-Apr-17
It's going great. Today I've had six cookies and two pieces of strawberry pie. My wife had ACL surgery and the church ladies have been cooking for us. I've only put on five pounds so I guess I'm doing ok. Another week and it's time to get serious, right after all the desserts are gone. ;)

26-Apr-17
Just looking at that picture you get an idea of how steep your workout is! LOL

26-Apr-17
I have been hiking with a 40lb of water softener salt in my pack. Few miles a couple of time a week and I can feel it. Took the 25lbs of charcoal out and upgraded a couple of weeks ago.

26-Apr-17
Turkey season here missing out on some of my workouts!

26-Apr-17
I'll be doing a 10k in a couple weeks. I also plan on hiking up and down the dunes on the Lake Michigan shoreline near home with a 60lb bag of sand in my pack. I'll incorporate some weight training at my fitness center at work, and keep up with my regular running....It all pays off come September in the mountains chasing elk!

26-Apr-17
Alternating between pack training in the mountains (30 lbs now, 2-3 miles with uphill-downhill at 9000'), kettlebell/weight training workouts, and distance biking on rough roads with the mountain bike.

Thanks to RockyD's coaching, I've set up a varied program to reach specific goals by certain dates (climb a rough mountain I hate, backpack trip, like up an awful incline, etc..). So far I'm right on target. The toughest part is forcing myself to do the pack work when its cold/windy/spitting snow, like today and I wasn't feeling real spiffy.

Then I remind myself there will be plenty of days like that from September-January when hunting, so I suck it up and am happy with myself for doing it.

26-Apr-17
Jaq,

I've felt the same way a few mornings when the wind was howling nd the rain coming in sideways. And then I picture the shitholes we'll be chasing bulls into and I get motivated.

26-Apr-17
79.1 lb pack. That's what my scale says. 1.1 miles, 3 times a week. A little over 500 feet down and, then back up. for a total of about 1050 feet in elevation change in that 1.1 mile. In a cheap pack. It's starting to get my back down. Decent pack that simply isn't designed to carry that much weight for any distance

I'm almost to my goal for a Kifaru Duplex. Hopefully sell a few stickbows on the auction site by Friday and, have enough for frame, an Apollo, and to put some back into the "for later" account, when I order. If my bows don't sell, I'm going to work the wife for the extra dough from the budget to get it ordered this weekend. I'm excited. When I bat my eyes, if we got the extra, I get what I want. :^)

Actually, the training isn't bad even with the Cheap pack. I've been doing it for the better part of two months steady now. Going to knock some weight off the pack and, add a couple miles to my workout after turkey season. My GPS said I walked 4.96 miles this morning hunting turkeys. In very steep country. So, since Saturday, no pack training at all. And, I was back in the truck by 9:45. Saturday it might be 8 or 9 miles total with the longer hunting time. So, there is no need to train like previously on top of the hunting miles. Too many injuries risked at my age with my cadaver enhanced knees, with no meniscus left between the bones, to go any harder than that.

Good luck to all and God Bless men

26-Apr-17

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
I just hike everyday. Good for the mind, body, and soul. Did 8 miles yesterday. Bout to leave on my nightly 2 mile loop up the mountain behind my house. No extra weight. I'll carry chit on my back when I have to. Otherwise, I'd rather just go farther and faster and enjoy myself. No sheds found yesterday :( There are no damn deer in SoCal.

26-Apr-17
Personally, I'd be really careful about heavy pack training on a regular basis. I rarely go over 50 lbs. Overuse injuries are a bitch.

26-Apr-17
We got a new guy at work, an old school mma guy, cauliflower ears and the whole nine yards.

He told me if I get my legs and lungs in shape, everything else will come along for the ride. Anyway, I'm giving it a try, and beating my legs up pretty good.

I squat, deadlift and lunge twice a week. I run hilly trails and/or stairs every day. After squat day I can barely make it up the 4 steps into the job trailer at work. If I have to drop a deuce, it's kind of a controlled fall onto the throne. Getting back up is a real treat. I force myself to run and it seems to beat the soreness back a little. Stretching as well.

In the past I've always neglected legs and I know why....it sucks.

On a positive note I am 20 lbs lighter than I was last fall, and I'm fairly certain I've added lean muscle. I'd like to lose 15 more.

One more day and I'll be ripped. Ha!

26-Apr-17
Just hiking and horn hunting. 175 miles since March 1 and over 33,000 vertical gain. The only weight I carry is antlers:) Bear season is hear so with sedentary days spent glassing, the treadmill will come back into play.

26-Apr-17
HIIT cardio 5x/week, and weights 3x/week at the Koko Fit Club. Strength up 73% in 3 months, which, considering I packed out an elk last January, is encouraging.

26-Apr-17
I'm more on the same plan as Idyllwildarcher, just trying to cover lots of ground hiking. Like he said, I'll pack extra weight when I need to. In Montana its hard to do much hiking in the winter, but now that the snow is leaving, I'm combining my exercise with scouting out new elk areas. The best thing about spending lots of time hiking, is that I spend less time around the house eating.

27-Apr-17
I do some weight training. I fell, haul, cut, and split 6 chord of pine each year to heat my house. I gain 12-13 lbs of muscle doing it. Then it melts away in about 6 weeks. You buff guys can carry around all that upper body strength in the mountains. I see it as worthless dead-weight. I've done several climbs with the gym-rat buff-guy types. You do a 3-4 thousand foot climb with these guys and it brings them to their knees. It sucks to carry 200+ lbs up that far, especially when you're walking on 2 legs, not 4 - and you spent all that time working out the two that you don't walk on.

27-Apr-17
Idyll,

No reference to being buff, rather increasing strength. There's a difference.

27-Apr-17
I feel like if I can flip an elk on my own and put 60-80 lbs on my back and hike for miles on end, I'm strong enough. If I need to lift a log, I can use a lever. From what I understand, I'm sure I'll change the way I do things as I get older as we lose lean muscle mass as we age. At 38, I just don't feel the need for weights for what I do. When I'm 50 or 60, I'm sure that I'll use weights to stay in the shape that I want to be in.

27-Apr-17
RockyD, I'm all about that "post recovery drink afterwards "! ;)

When I was Ike's age no pack training was necessary either. I could strap on a loaded backpack with no pre-conditioning and head off into the wilderness for 5-10 days, no problem. Now that I'm old and decrepit it really helps to wave-train with varying weighted packs on my fitness hikes. Not so much for elk packing prep, but it helps strengthen my back, hips, lower body and core. Also great for improving balance on uneven ground, which seems to decrease with age.

27-Apr-17
When I say I spend less time eating, don't worry, I still eat plenty. HA! To me, getting into shape for hunting, is getting into shape for day after day of hiking up and down mountains, looking for elk, calling elk. Packing one out, is no fun, but it's just a one day thing, and I get it done, usually with help.

27-Apr-17
Doing a half marathon in May and waiting on my new pack to get here so I can start hitting the hills around the house. Just started back this week doing the Insanity workout twice a week. My legs are so sore right now. Want to drop another 15 pounds before September.

27-Apr-17

midwest's embedded Photo
meat heads
midwest's embedded Photo
meat heads
I'm on week 14 of a marathon training program. I ran my 1st marathon last fall on a 3 day per week running program which allowed me continue strength training and my kickboxing class. This year, I decided to try a more advanced running program and signed up for a spring marathon that would force me to run through the winter months. It's a real grind running 5 or 6 days per week when it's cold, windy, snowy, dark, but I love the mental challenge of forcing myself out the door every day and I have learned to "embrace the suck"!

It also helps to have a great group of friends who like to train as hard as you do. Most of them half my age but that's what keeps me young! These two twenty-somethings with me in the pic are currently training for their first IronMan this fall. We had just run 10 miles from my house to the next town where we did a 45 minute kickboxing class. We've done this more than once and usually into a stiff head wind just to make it a little more miserable. Feelin great at 58!

27-Apr-17
I have been doing trips up and down the steps with my pack and working on the treadmill for some cardio. I used to run like an animal (well not to some) and lots of weights. I was in excellent shape in my 30's. I found that I was tempted to push myself in the mountains unnecessarily. "Yea I can go right up there" well I turned 40 and let my guard down 1 year and put on about 20 lbs. Still in shape just couldn't go as fast. I saw more elk and have since killed more elk. Be careful not to make a hunt into an exercise routine. It will cost you animals I have no doubt it did me. Being fit is excellent but when you hunt remember that its hunting not exercise:)

27-Apr-17
Great tee shirt idea right there...."EMBRACE THE SUCK"!

27-Apr-17
awesome

27-Apr-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
"Great tee shirt idea right there...."EMBRACE THE SUCK"! "

I wish I'd thought of it first Troy...

27-Apr-17
Not a shirt you would give as a gift.

27-Apr-17
"Weights, treadmill, eliptical, bike, and basketball."

As long as I don't interrupt your regime by talking bowhunting!

Scoot and I live in an area that has the elevation profile of a pool table. We might equal Jason's 800' elevation change on a 100 mile road trip! I use what we have access to. Stadium stairs & flood dike are my go to.

27-Apr-17
You take care of the marketing, Nick. I'll split the profits with ya!

And ......NO! I won't arm wrestle ya for it! ;-)

27-Apr-17
Rocky D, 'All cardio and extended mileage I would mix in ample nutrition along the way and a post recovery drink afterwards.'

Elaborate on the "ample nutrition" part if you would please. I've done long bike rides (up to a century on my mountain bike) and have always struggled with eating for the long haul.

27-Apr-17

MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
Here is my 6 pack. plan on "working out" again tonight!

27-Apr-17
I am 50 lbs too heavy, too weak, and my bad back is killing me. Other than that....training is going great. I go kill myself one day a week and suffer through the next six. Plus working 53 hours a week at two jobs, one on my feet lifting bags of dirt, compost, etc. Yeah.....I'm a winner. LOL

27-Apr-17
Midwest, you look great at 58, heck you'd look good at any age there! (grin)

Still pushing hard here in Idaho, turned 62 yesterday, maybe the elk will feel sorry for me & give me a head start! (grin)

ElkNut1

27-Apr-17
That is an old picture of Nick. He is now a skinny marathoner!

27-Apr-17

Pigsticker's Link
JDM, "Elaborate on the "ample nutrition" part if you would please. I've done long bike rides (up to a century on my mountain bike) and have always struggled with eating for the long haul. " First and foremost, understand nutrition and diet is for weight loss and exercise is for getting in shape and increased metabolism.

if you understand how the body stores fuel (glycogen) for energy then you can look at the best way to combat the depletion of fuel. By understanding that the body only stores enough glycogen for 35-40 minutes of intense activity then we can work on replenishing the source for fuel. I will share an extract to save time and to add increased credibility to this concept: "Glycogen depletion can be forestalled in three possible ways. First, during exercise, carbohydrates with the highest possible rate of conversion to blood glucose (high glycemic index) are ingested continuously. The best possible outcome of this strategy replaces about 35% of glucose consumed at heart rates above about 80% of maximum. Second, through endurance training adaptations and specialized regimens (e.g. fasted low-intensity endurance training), the body can condition type I muscle fibers to improve both fuel use efficiency and workload capacity to increase the percentage of fatty acids used as fuel sparing carbohydrate use from all sources. Third, by consuming large quantities of carbohydrates after depleting glycogen stores as a result of exercise or diet, the body can increase storage capacity of intramuscular glycogen stores. This process is known as carbohydrate loading. In general, glycemic index of carbohydrate source does not matter since muscular insulin sensitivity is increased as a result of temporary glycogen depletion. When experiencing glycogen debt, athletes often experience extreme fatigue to the point that it is difficult to move. As a reference, the very best professional cyclists in the world will usually finish a 4- to 5-hr stage race right at the limit of glycogen depletion using the first three strategies. When athletes ingest both carbohydrate and caffeine following exhaustive exercise, their glycogen stores tend to be replenished more rapidly; however, the minimum dose of caffeine at which there is a clinically significant effect on glycogen repletion has not been established." This stated most of us have heard of carbo loading the day prior to a big event . i.E. pasta and bread before a long bike ride, half marathon etc. many competitive cyclist will have pasta and egg whites before a day on the Tour De France. for most of us a heavy dose of peanut butter on a bagel would suffice for our activity. on the bike ride across Georgia (BRAG) I ate a healthy muffins and a banana every morning and on hunting trips I eat oatmeal with raisins and walnuts. That is the before and just like a car on a long trip you need to refuel along the way. Using the fact that I use a tank of glycogen every 35-40 minutes when biking I normally eat a gel pack around 35 minutes into the ride and continue to do that pretty much through out the ride. for extended periods I will take in a recovery drink like Endurox along the way after about 2 hours into the ride and will sip on this concoction during the ride and continue to eat on clif bars and gel at periodic intervals throughout the ride. This is normally a 24 ounce water bottle that will be incorporated in with additional water as the primary source for hydration.

The attached link is a very detailed article on what to eat on a century ride and can be altered for any long endurance event.

Now many of us who have trained for years have developed training adaptations and specialized regimens as stated above and may not need to eat as much as others. Frankly for years while in the Army long distance ruck marching I typically only required water for a five to seven hour event. Only when I started high intensity cycling did I needed to get smart about refueling.

JDM - Hopefully this helps

27-Apr-17
JDM, just in case you are wondering Rock D is my mobile handle.

28-Apr-17
Keeping with my year in--year out year round workouts.

Hiking, lap swimming, lifting, snowshoeing in the winter, yoga for the stretch and some biking now that the weather is kinda nice.

Good for you Nick! Boston Marathon for you next year.

Good luck, Robb

28-Apr-17
Thanks, Robb!

"That is an old picture of Nick. He is now a skinny marathoner!"

Down about 18 lbs. since that pic, Z. My arms are about the size of Idyl's now, so I'm sure you could take me, t-roy!

"First and foremost, understand nutrition and diet is for weight loss and exercise is for getting in shape and increased metabolism."

Worth repeating from pigsticker. You will drop some weight initially when you start an exercise program but it will quickly level off and you'll still be carrying that spare tire around the middle. You're going to need a calorie deficit to lose the fat. Several small meals per day consisting of a serving of lean protein and a serving quality carbs will get you down 1-2 lbs. of fat per week without starving yourself and have you feeling great. Cut the carbs the last half of the day if you've got a lot of fat to lose. Measure your waist instead of your weight. This is the true measure of your fitness.

I work in an office and we have crap food, sweets, etc. brought in all the time. Most people have this same stuff sitting on the kitchen counter at home. By far, the most difficult part of maintaining a clean diet is walking away from all the junk. Trade all that junk food for a few "cheat meals" per week....a big cheeseburger, fried chicken, pizza, enchiladas, beer, whatever you crave. Set a goal to just try eating clean for 6 weeks, check your results, adjust, then set another goal, repeat.

As an aside...even with all the training and proper nutrition, I still suck at killing elk. #embracethesuck

28-Apr-17
I turned 30 in March so I still just worry about the pack out once I get there. I'm reasonably active, play ice hockey year round and weigh 170lbs. I've never felt like my fitness wasn't good enough to hunt, and when I shoot something in reality it's a short of amount of time that you have to #embracethesuck and just mentally grind and get your animal out.

I doubt I'll ever get to the point where packing out an animal is just as enjoyable as carrying my normal pack, so for now I just kind of go on living my life. Running a business and having a family has it's advantages and disadvantages and with my priorities in life ultimate fitness takes a back seat. I'm OK with it, but I do envy the guys that train like crazy and get in shape both for the way they've been able to prioritize it in life, and for the fitness levels they achieve. So good on you fellas and keep it up!

I try to above all eat clean. 6 packs are made in the kitchen!

28-Apr-17
Thanks Rocky D. It may take me a while to 'digest' the information but it makes sense.

28-Apr-17
March and April are my "off months" each year. Normally I go to the gym 4-5 days per week and due HIIT and cardio. I've been slacking bad though since March. May 1 I'm getting back on the wagon and will be ready to go by September. I need to lose about 15 pounds which should not be much of an issue for me. I'm still packing a lot of weight on the weekends up and down some small hills turkey hunting this time of year which hasn't slowed me down much.

29-Apr-17
I was roughly following the "body for life" program - lifting 3 days, cardio 3 days. But I had to give the lower body lifting a break to deal with gluteal tendon problem. So I am currently just doing upper body lifting 1-2 days and lots of cardio on an elliptical machine 4-5 days a week. Once I get the tendon healed I'll get back to lifting lower body and hiking with a pack. The problem is my wife always has a million "honey-do's" that inevitably twinge my tendon. I love her anyway!

29-Apr-17
cross fit 4x a week

29-Apr-17
Dgildy, I have had excellent results using K-Tape to aide in injury recovery while still being active. Just look up K Tape instruction videos.

• Sitka Gear