Mark Watkins 28-Apr-17
Scrappy 28-Apr-17
wildan 28-Apr-17
flyingbrass 28-Apr-17
MK111 01-May-17
Missouribreaks 01-May-17
sagittarius 01-May-17
28-Apr-17
I'm starting a few new plots in existing old fields. I have been using a 3pt tiller to till the fields to prepare seed beds. I'm finding that even with 2 or 3 passes with the tiller, I'm hardly reaching dirt in most places, It seems like the top 3-4" are just composed of mostly grass and root clumps with minimal soil. We are under a burn ban currently (not sure why because it literally rains everyday) so burning off the existing vegetation isn't an option. My question is, should I go through the time and effort of trying to clear off this top layer of fluff, or would cultipacking then planting into it and cultipacking again be enough for adequate germination? Anyone with experience with this scenario?

28-Apr-17
What are you planning on planting?

Mark

28-Apr-17
Are the skids adjusted up on your tiller. Adjusted to the top and you should be digging down several inches.

28-Apr-17
Tillers are not made to bust sod.Bush-hog,spray with round-up(wait a week) work with a plow(an inexpensive middle buster works great @$150.00) and THEN roto-till.

28-Apr-17
mow it, spray glyphosate, wait a week, then disc it 5 times, go slow with the tractor and don't be in such a hurry. then it will work.

01-May-17
When I started my food plots it was in a pasture used for over 50 yrs. A disk just rode on top the ground on sprayed dead grass. Bought a 3 pt tiller for my tractor and on the 1st pass it dug in 2-3". On 2nd pass it dug in 5-6". The following years it tilled up like peat moss.

01-May-17
Flyingbrass is correct, that will help.

01-May-17
Spray glyphosate, wait two weeks for top thatch to brown down. If you wait another two weeks, the root system will break down enough for easier tillage.

If you are planting tiny clover seed, then yes, you could just broadcast clover seed into brown thatch and expect reasonable germination. With timing and adequate rain, this can be a excellent way to start clover plots.

• Sitka Gear