Grunt-N-Gobble 30-Apr-17
t-roy 30-Apr-17
Grunt-N-Gobble 02-May-17
Cheesehead Mike 03-May-17
Grunt-N-Gobble 03-May-17
BullBuster 09-May-17
JackPine Acres 09-May-17
29-Apr-17
Im getting back into the foodplot game and have 4 small plots ive disced up a few weeks ago. I didnt spray first, however the ground was worked as good as can be with my quad and GroundhogMax. This GHM does a pretty decent job of working the soil. It works well for my needs.

I sprayed the new growth a week ago and now im debating if i should disk up again prior to seeding or just spread the seed and let the coming rain do its thing.

Im thinking disking again would be better, but looking for suggestions.

29-Apr-17
What are you planting?

30-Apr-17
Clover.

30-Apr-17
I would disk and treat the weeds one more time, after they flush. Not essential, but weeds tend to compete very well.

30-Apr-17
Personally, I would plant the clover in late July, early August and cover crop it with winter rye. This will give you some food for this fall. If you over sew with rye now the rye will mature by fall and not be real palatable to deer. Clover planted this year will be a good crop for 2018, not so good for 2017. Good luck!

30-Apr-17
Do you have access to a cultipacker? Agree, that fall planting clover generally shows better results, but I've had good results in the spring as well. Good seed to soil contact is a key factor.

30-Apr-17
I don't understand the analogy by Missouribreaks?? I have planted clover in the spring and have had excellent results the first year. When it flowers mow just the top off and next year it will be even better but first year it is still awesome. Scooby

30-Apr-17
You can have clover the first year if conditions are correct and it is planted early. In general, when establishing legumes for wildlife or livestock it works well to let them get established before grazing too hard. I also prefer to use the maden spring to control weeds, with several flushings if necessary. This is not required in many areas, just my choice. I only mentioned my own experience and preference. For me, nothing outdraws first year early to mid fall winter rye where I hunt in the Midwest, not good after late fall. There are a million ways to plant food plots and almost all will work.

30-Apr-17
By the way, the following late spring I mow the rye out and let the clover take over. You do not need cover crops but they can help, especially in low moisture years.

30-Apr-17
MB, I agree that where you are it may not be feasible but this guy is in PA and I am in NY and as long as conditions are even OK the clover will do well here planted early. Scooby

30-Apr-17
Thanks for the replys fellas. As it turned out, the generic roundup didnt have the affect id hoped after a week, so i went ahead and disked the ground again. My time is limited so i have to get done what i can when i can.

These are 4 small hunting plots, nothing big. I would have spread the seed today, except my brand new broadcast spreader decided not to work. I got to take it apart tonight and see if i can fix it. If not then back to Agway in the morning for a replacement.

30-Apr-17
G-n-G.....For possible future reference, your generic roundup was probably working fine. Sometimes it takes up to 2 weeks or even possibly a bit longer to really see the results. Some weeds burn down quicker than others as well.

02-May-17
I was able to exchange the spreader on Monday and spread some additional lime and the seed this evening after work. We've gotten some rain in the last couple days and more is coming on thursday. Time for mother nature to do her job.

03-May-17
By disking again you may have worked up and exposed new weed seeds that were not affected by your first application of round-up and they may sprout a new crop of weeds now.

I made the same mistake in the past, I had killed off a plot with 2 separate applications of Round-up and everything above ground was dead and brown. I decided to disk everything under before I planted and the weeds came up like crazy. I should have just planted the way it was with the dead weeds on top.

03-May-17
Time will tell.

09-May-17
Question along this line. I live in north, and also have small plots. My chicory, alfalfa and Small Burnet don't usually start producing until May. Therefore not helping my deer recover from winter as quickly as I would like. The clover by far starts up the soonest, but still not optimally. Would y'all recommend another perennial that kick starts really early in cold climes that provides good nutrition to stressed deer?

09-May-17
Bullbuster, if you have clover in those plots that are greening up after winter, hit them with 0-0-60 to help them pop and stay ahead of the grass. Should give you the results you are looking for.

• Sitka Gear