Bear Track 07-Jun-17
Bear Track 07-Jun-17
Bigpizzaman 08-Jun-17
Bear Track 08-Jun-17
30-Apr-17

Bear Track's embedded Photo

Bear Track's Link
Thursday morning we're on our way up to camp. Baits are in and in a week, we're happy to report, over half are whacked with bears on them. This is the fastest and most activity in 6 days we've ever had. Conditions are actually the best we've had in years. Some water where expected and non where there has been for years. From camp, I'll post shots of the bears we have up for next week's hunt. We have a new guide this year. Full time trapper and guide, Sean will be joining us, and at 28 years old, he'll out work us also being a farm raised young man. Pat and I will be guiding and showing Sean the ropes. he did pretty well last week baiting with Pat. Jeannine has her freezers on the trailer full of food ready to taint your taste buds.

A few years back, we had similar conditions and the beginning of June, we shot to B&C bears in one night. Would be nice to do that again. Boone and Crockett bears are hard to get, as you cannot see the skull so it's a chance you take. Myself, I tell my guests, When you see the bear you want to take home, kill it. Up first are repeat guests from Iowa and winners of our Christmas Auction from 2 years ago and first time bear hunters from BigPizza's back yard.

Uploads will start on Monday.

30-Apr-17

Ok, what the heck is that picture? Trying again.

30-Apr-17
And for those still thinking about it, those 2 openings we have May 29-June 2 are there for the taking with $1,000.00 deposits waiting to be used.

30-Apr-17
Good luck Ron! Anxious to follow your thread.

30-Apr-17
Best of luck to you this spring Ron! Someone should snap those dates up! Jeannine's cooking is worth the trip not to mention the great bear hunting!

30-Apr-17
Ron, Stan and I can't wait! 3 weeks and we will be headed north bound. Stan is coming to my home in KS and we will drive from there.

I plan on starting a semi-live thread. Started actually getting my gear together today as we had 4 inches of rain in the last 24 hours so turkey hunting was out.

That brown phase bear is awesome and was taken when Stan and I were there last year. Hopefully this will be our year for a couple of nice ones.

Take care and be well!

30-Apr-17
Have a great season Ron and Jeannine!

30-Apr-17
Ron,

Good luck this season. Can't wait to hear the updates. I'm sure it will be another great year!

03-May-17
"And for those still thinking about it, those 2 openings we have May 29-June 2 are there for the taking with $1,000.00 deposits waiting to be used."

Not anymore :)

03-May-17
Good for you Les!

Good luck up there this season Ron!

Mark

04-May-17
Ron, I hope you have your best season ever! Good luck to all your hunters this year.

04-May-17
Best of luck to you, Jeannine, your guides, and all your quests. As GhostBird said, hoping its your best ever!

04-May-17
Have a GREAT Spring! Wish I was able to join you, Clutch has me going to Australia instead. See you soon on a Javi hunt!

11-May-17

Finally got my wifi up and running. We have the cabins all ready and our first hunters rolled in on Sunday. The last thing we do before the sun goes down the day before the guests show up Sunday, is hang our sign.

11-May-17
Day one started cold and drizzly. Not the way we or the guests envision their first day at camp, but we do not control the weather. It's been chilly to darn right cold but first week can be like that. Lots of bigger bears at the bait sites, and actually it's odd there are not a lot of average size bears running around, but a few showed up in the trail cameras today. First day, Jeremy from Missouri was the only one to see a bear and it was apparently a monster in his eyes. Next day the wind was not very good for that bait and soon changed to where I thought he could try to get another look at that big one. Usually those big guys are here today then gone tomorrow and it was early into the hint week, so up the stand he went.

11-May-17
At dark, he came out of the bush very, very upset and distraught. He knew he'd made a bad shot on the big bear. I saw the video he'd made and agreed, though I was keeping that to myself. 2 of the other 5 guests in camp had scored on very nice respectable bears and after breakfast and skinning the 2 bears, 5 of us went to look for Jeremy's bear. I really felt for him and understood how he was feeling and had seen the same face on my guests all too often in the past years.

28-May-17

Ron and his happy hunter
Ron and his happy hunter
We've been extremely busy at Bear Track for the past couple of weeks, and neither Ron nor I have been able to post anything from our iPhones, so we apologize that the updates have been lacking. Thanks to Habitat for Wildlife for the reminder and the motivation!

I'll update you all as best as I can, but I was away for the second week of hunting, so I have no updates or photos from that week. I suppose I should mention that I am the Sean that Ron mentioned in his original post. I lurk on Bowsite under the handle MBMule, but I don't post all that often. We will probably both be posting from the Bear Track handle as time allows.

I'll start by giving you all an ending to the story that was left without an ending from May 11th. The morning after the shot, Pat, Ron, the hunter, his grandfather and myself went to look for the bear. After a short track job, we found the bear, and let me tell you, there was no ground shrinkage on this bear. They don't get much bigger than this. He weighed well over 500 pounds, he squared 7' 8" and the skull green scored slightly over 21".The same night that this bear was killed, my hunter killed a 5 and a half footer and one of Pat's hunters killed one about the same size. This happened the night after an evening where only 1 bear was spotted between 5 hunters.

28-May-17

Pat's happy hunter
Pat's happy hunter

28-May-17

Sean's happy hunter
Sean's happy hunter

28-May-17

Thursday night, one of the two remaining hunters tagged out on a nice bear.

28-May-17

On Friday night, we only had one hunter left; a young lady who hadn't s bear all week. Midweek, she was getting very disappointed a d wanted to leave early, but a pep talk from her parents brightened her spirits. She stuck it out and boy, was she rewarded!

28-May-17

The next week, I wasn't here, so the update will be short and sweet. Ron was able to find a photo of one of the hunters bears, but unfortunately, we didn't get a copy of any of the other bear photos. Our dandelion crop is thick here this year, and bears love dandelions. Between that and the high winds, our bear sightings were lower than typical, but we still went 3 for 6, with one hunter passing up a 6 footer the first night.

28-May-17

Bear Track's Link
The weather and dandelion crop continued into the next week, but activity had picked up a bit. The first night was slow but the second night, we had a bear on the skinning table. Or, rather, we should have. The shot on video looked high and back, so we left it overnight, to be safe. Unfortunately, the wolves found the bear before we did the next morning and they consumed most of the bear. I don't currently have a photo of that bear, but I'll add them when they're sent to me.

On Wednesday, we had another bear down, but I don't have a photo of that one yet, either.

On Thursday, I put one of my hunters in a hot bait that the biggest bear had disappeared from, but still held over half a dozen respectable bears. Around 8:30, a nice, 5 and a half foot bear came in and my hunter made a perfect shot. The bear went down in sight and was back at the truck a short time later.

As some of you may know, 2 of our hunters left after the third day, disappointed at the low numbers of bear sightings. There's already a thread started on that, so I'd like to keep any comments regarding that restricted to the post dedicated to it.

The other 3 hunters were very selective trophy hunters, so they were placed not where there was necessarily a lot of bears, but there was at least one large bear coming in during or near to shooting light. When that's the situation, there's usually one of two outcomes: no bears are spotted or the target bear is killed. As often happens when targeting one particular animal, they won this time, but that just means they'll be around to continue hunting!

After a somewhat disappointing week of bear activity, I checked 5 baits on Thursday morning that hadn't been checked on for a couple of days. I was delighted to find that all 5 had been hit hard, and 4 new big, shooter bears had shown up, 2 of them in daylight in the evening. A Saturday morning check of 3 baits revealed that another target had shown up at a different bait, and a large boar that had previously been nocturnal started showing himself at the bait as early as 8pm.

I have high hopes for this week! We have at least two Bowsiters in camp, and 3 repeat clients. All but one are bowhunters, and I will do my best to keep you updated through the week!

On a related note, I started and have been doing my best to maintain and update a Facebook page for Bear Track Outfitters. I will be adding the trailcam photos to that page, as it's much easier to add several photos there than on here, especially with the slower wifi. I've included a link, and if you like what you see, please give it a "like" to follow along!

28-May-17

29-May-17
We had a young hunter and his father come early and hunt this evening, as his father said he would not hunt until his son shot a bear and he was willing to pay for an extra day to up his chances. He's a Bowsiter, so I'll let him tell the story and post photos. I don't want to spoil it!

29-May-17
Nice bears Ron, It's strange I read on another thread you don't have many bears in your area. LOL. Have a safe rest of your season.

30-May-17

Bear Track's Link
We added a bunch more trailcamera photos today, check them out at the link above!

30-May-17

Hunter Welch and his father, Les, with Hunter's 3 legged bear

30-May-17

Ed Pylman and Pat with his bear taken at Hydro bait
Ed Pylman and Pat with his bear taken at Hydro bait

30-May-17

Let's try that again. That's not even my photo!

30-May-17
Ron, was that the same 3 legged bear we saw on the trail cams when we were there 2 years ago?

30-May-17
With all the discussion about wind direction while hunting on stand on some of these forums, what are your thoughts on wind and scent control ?? I've seen several videos of Bears stealing bait off the quad when the guides go in to bait at stands and then return to the quad. Those Bears obviously didn't care about human scent. I try to control my scent as best as I can.... but I don't consider wind direction when hunting a bear bait. Right or wrong ??

01-Jun-17

Ed and Pat
Ed and Pat
SteveB, this is Sean posting, but no, it wouldn't have been. This bear got caught in a wolf snare that an irresponsible trapper didn't pick up after the end of trapping season. It happened since he came out of the den this year.

BIG BEAR, I can't speak for Ron, but I put hunters in stands where the wind is blowing away from the bait and away from the trails. If it's a bait with a big boar currently hitting it regularly and but I can't get away with hunting it with the wind direction that night, I'll hang a lock-on stand if the trails allow it to be hunted from another stand. Maybe the big bears don't care if they can smell you, but if they do care, why risk educating them and possibly blowing your opportunity?

We have killed a few bears this week and currently have 3 hunters still holding out. Ed from Michigan killed this dandy on Monday night at 6pm at Hydro bait. It's not the biggest bear that was at the bait, but it was still a great bear.

01-Jun-17

Les and Sean
Les and Sean
We had Terry from Michigan tag out on Tuesday at Trapline #2, but I don't have any photos of that one, sorry!

Les from Wisconsin was hunting a giant bear at Indian Trail #1 on Tuesday, and at Indian Trail #2 on Wednesday. He's killed several bears in Wisconsin but never in Manitoba, so he was looking for a 5 and a half foot bear or better, and when one came out, he made good on that opportunity. While he was waiting to be picked up, the giant came out to the bait to check things out.

01-Jun-17

Big Manitoba boar
Big Manitoba boar
This is the one that barely got away. Look at the size of him compared to his sow and the barrel!

01-Jun-17

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
The carp are really running this week up here. While his dad hunted, Hunter shot his first carp! This morning, the two of them shot several dozen before heading back to Wisconsin.

01-Jun-17

We decided to give the Indian Trail and Paddle Trail baits a break today and hunt this big boar that just showed up with a sow last night at Pennzoil bait. Bowsiter Trad Mike is at this stand tonight after passing up a 6 footer in Paddle Trail #2 last night.

02-Jun-17
Things are really heating up fast. Wish I had another tag this week, heck or even a flat bottom to run up in them reeds for a few days!! :)

Thanks Sean, it was great getting to spend some time with you, everything was much appreciated.

07-Jun-17

Thanks Les! I had lots of fun, too. We hope to see you and Hunter again soon.

We killed a 7 and a half footer with a green Boone and Crockett skull at Bear Creek on the lake a couple of nights ago. This is the second potential B&C boar we've killed this spring. Nick Spenningsby was the lucky hunter and his father, Greg Spenningsby, was the winning bidder for the 2016 Bear Track Bowsite Christmas Auction.

07-Jun-17

Last night, the other Nick in camp, Nick Hammond, killed a nice bear. We followed the blood trail for about 60 yards but could hear a bear popping its teeth at us, and without knowing if it was the bear he shot or another bear, we elected to back out and try again this morning. Another 60 yards down the blood trail lay the bear in a little, picture perfect meadow.

08-Jun-17
I know personally Tom Hoffman's last animal of his slam that DIDN'T qualify for P&Y was his Black Bear, so 2 B&C bears in one season is nothing short of Amazing! Congrats the Lucky hunters and guides!!!

08-Jun-17

Don Amsden killed this great bear last night at Tire bait. Some of you may remember that stand.

• Sitka Gear