Jaquomo 02-May-17
Shiloh 03-May-17
Mad Trapper 03-May-17
Franzen 03-May-17
Dyjack 03-May-17
Shiloh 03-May-17
Two Feathers 03-May-17
01-May-17
Hmmmmm..... Didn't something like this happen last year? But 8 yards.....really. I think you need to get out more often. Beautiful birds and they are still around.

01-May-17
Calling in animals has a way of lighting up the guts...

01-May-17
Great pic and definitely been there Pat :)

01-May-17
Missed at 9 yards but 8, really?

01-May-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Your kindred spirit sitting here doing her homework says that's not too bad, I missed at 6!! Ha!

01-May-17
? did you pick a spot (NO ) I THINK

01-May-17
I think the closest can be the easiest to miss. Next time. :)

01-May-17
Turkeys with the bow always get me too!! Keep after em... you'll get em!!

01-May-17
One word, "Bullhead"

01-May-17
Ain't no big thing. At least you got a shot. Since we don't have any turkeys where I live, I only get to go once a year now, and we went to an unknown place this year, never even unloaded the truck. Probably wasn't a turkey within ten miles..........Ima do better next year though !

01-May-17
Sometimes those close 8-12 yard shots end in shooting just over the backs..its happened to me more than I'd like to count...perhaps its the depth perception inside the Double Bull Blind..afraid to shoot thru the fabric or window frame? I dunno...keep after em, it'll happen!

01-May-17
Maybe he jumped the string? Surely no one would challenge that reason :)

01-May-17
Thanks for the honesty, Pat. Me, too, on the excitement and I've shot more than most. "There are two kinds of turkey hunters....those who've missed,...and those who lie." Mix the excitement of calling them in, with all that goes into pulling off a good bow shot,...and shizz happens.

01-May-17
I say hunt corn fields

01-May-17
Been there done that....

01-May-17
Better stick to food plots Pat!

01-May-17
Thought this thread was going to be about me. Sorry for your misfortune Pat. Get em next time.

01-May-17
Loser.

Seriously, It's just like with a shotgun. Sometimes they are too close. I've always wandered why everyone tries to get them to 10 yards. That's a harder shot than 20 any day. Set the decoy's out there at 18 to 20 yards and kill them every shot. God Bless

01-May-17
I'm with you Pat! I can kill pin wheel a big mature bull elk or mulie buck and be very calm. Yet can have an 18 pound bird come in and I loose it and whiff shots! Darn turkeys

02-May-17
Ummmmm.... No you didn't. Yes, I did. With a Bullhead a couple weeks ago at 8 yards when I, too, rushed the shot.

02-May-17
I'm a stone cold killer with a whitetail, but them turkeys tho.... I missed at 18 yards then my second shot he was at 22 yards! I was shaking like a dog passing peach seeds! Mike

02-May-17
LOL MIKE!!!

02-May-17
Great thread. Thanks for being so honest Pat. I've been bit bad by the turkey bug...I'd hate to tell you guys how many miles and how many hours I've spent driving and sitting for these sillly things!!!

02-May-17
It happens!!

02-May-17
Ha ha you are one pathetic LOSER Lloyd!

02-May-17
12 gauge fix everything.

02-May-17
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys practice at 10 yards? I sit on a chair in my basement and pound a turkey target at 8-9 yards for 3-4 weeks before the season. It really seems to help. I know I've cleaned up my turkey killing considerably over the past 10 years by doing this. Maybe 9-12 arrows a few nights per week, takes 10-15 minutes. I know we all think "it's 10 yards, how hard can it be?" I was guilty of the same thing.

02-May-17
aw man, anybody will blow a shot once in awhile.

02-May-17
aw man, anybody will blow a shot once in awhile.

02-May-17
Pat it sounds like turkeys have the curse on you like elk did for so many years. :)

02-May-17
Pat,

Redemption will be oh so sweet!!!

Mark

02-May-17
Not only that Brotsky but how many shoot their bow at 5-6 yards and know exactly what pin to shoot? It sounds simple but it is often overlooked.

I leave my slider set on 40 yards and set my decoy at 5-7 yards.

02-May-17
I've missed twice this year!!!!!

02-May-17
Next time, keep at least one eye open.....

02-May-17
Turkeys were made by the Lord above to be shot with a shotgun. Trust me......they are the only animal in the world that I don't care to hunt with archery equipment. Bring on the tar and feathers!!

02-May-17
Blasphemy Shiloh! I've said a million times I think that turkeys were put on this earth to be shot with a bow and arrow! Ha!

02-May-17
Don't worry...Old one eye will get him!

02-May-17
In my experience, once they commit and come to the decoys, you have all the time in the world. Take an extra few seconds to calm down and relax. Bury that pin and squeeze that shot off slowly. I'm 12 for 12 but I am sure my misses and/or bad hits are still going to happen.

02-May-17
I've screwed up on more than I care to admit under 10 yds. Big toms still rattle the crap out of me and I've taken plenty. I've switched to Bullheads. Made a deal with myself that I'm not going to lose another bird.

02-May-17
Loser, boy you hit that right on the head! LOL

They sure are something! Were you in a blind, or just concealed? Can't wait to get back out here in Wisconsin.

02-May-17
Turkey void. Stick with that.

02-May-17
One thing about those headshots, it makes you focus. Those birds above with a Bullhead would be in trouble. Plus, no damage to the meat.

At 6-8 yes, pretty hard to miss. Aim right at the red on all of them. Keeps the end from going off.

02-May-17
That is okay Pat. I hit one in the body with a Bullhead @ 10 yards. I was shaking so bad and I rush the shot. Turkey fever gets me too and does not get better with age.

02-May-17
That picture alone raises my heart rate!

Every year I wonder why I'm not more of a turkey guy, because I sure love chasing them for a few days each spring. And I must agree with Shiloh, springtime toms were made to be chased around and kaboomed with a shotgun! :)

02-May-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Here you go Pat...you can thank me later! :)

02-May-17
That's one thing I don't like about Bullheads is trying to get them to hold their heads still. My daughter had one pecking violently at our decoy and it moved it's head more than a hog does on a corn feeder. Only body shots for me.

I agree with Brotsky....I don't think there is an animal more Taylor made for bowhunting than turkeys.

02-May-17
Fellas, you are subconsciously rushing the shot due to the close range. Get it out there far enough that you aren't afraid they'll see the breath leave your mouth and they are easier to kill. you'll slow down, be much more calm, and execute instead of being in a hurry and excited to get the shot off. God Bless men

02-May-17
Been bowhunting for 42 years , there is never a slam dunk shot in archery .

02-May-17
I really love to turkey hunt and I am currently right in the middle of chasing the US Slam. I have killed a handful with a bow, but I sure do love to see that shot make him flop, so I'd have to agree with your son Pat!! We are flying into Albany Friday morning to try to get to as many northern states as possible in a week. VT and NH are probably first, but we may end up in Connect I Cut. Probably gonna be running from poor weather!

02-May-17
They sure flop when a Bullhead hits 'em. Down-and-out!

03-May-17
I agree Jaq......I shot mine with a spitfire and it was deadly. Only had one try to get away. My only problem is that the bow takes away from the run n gun like Pat talked about and that is why I love yo hunt them. I actually never used a blind, but instead used a bowsniper bow blind. I don't even know if they are still around.

03-May-17
I have a confession. I agree with Shiloh. Turkeys are the only thing that I hunt with a gun anymore, except for groundhogs. Don't get much thrill shooting them from a blind. Have done that and got the Tee shirts to prove it. Shooting them with archery gear without a blind is a different proposition and a low odds one for me at that. Our birds have been chased and called to since late February. Despite what the PA Game Commission feeds us, our population in my part of the state is and has been in decline while hunter numbers increase. No, I will use a shotgun to take my bird. No apologies here.

03-May-17
Lower odds is kinda the point with bowhunting... whether it's big game, varmints, wingshooting, or turkeys. I like chasing them with the bow, even if it means my odds of connecting are low. I might bring the gun back if I go on a long 0'fer streak.

Where is your POI at 8 Pat? On my setup I'm still a tad high at the range, but drop a yard or two and my 20 is dead on. The good news is that it is hard to wound on a miss (more air balls and few non-lethal hits), and if you hit something that makes them bleed decent they will probably die. The key I think is to be sure you don't scare the crap outta them after the shot, and just make sure you look thoroughly. Of course there are always exceptions!

I'm sure the next time around will be different. Good luck!

Oh btw, I missed one this year too, but he was just a bit further than 8.

03-May-17
Pat, I did the same thing a couple weeks ago. Missed a big tom at 35 yards. Couldn't keep my s**t together and guessed instead of waiting for him to come in closer.

03-May-17
Nothing to do with odds for me. Just not something I care to do with a bow. Did it exclusively for two years before it was the thing and I just don't enjoy it. Nothing against those that do though.

03-May-17
Just write it off as turkey fever.

• Sitka Gear