jordanathome 08-May-17
jordanathome 08-May-17
jordanathome 08-May-17
LUNG$HOT 08-May-17
bud 08-May-17
02-May-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
A big thanks for the encouragement by some of the REAL fitness guys on the other thread. Yesterday was kettlebell-weight day. Today was pack training day. This morning it was windchill in the teens (30 mph), snowing sideways, and it sucked. I wanted to stay inside by the woodstove and postpone it for a day.

But instead I strapped on the loaded pack, bundled up, and started up the hill. And it did suck. But after about 15 minutes it sucked less, and I kept repeating, "Embrace the suck..". And after a mile of climbing and rock-scrambling I was really glad I did it. A couple miles later as I was nearing home I was beat, wind-blasted, and really happy I sucked it up and embraced the suck.

So thanks, guys. That's my new mantra when the s#!t starts to go sideways and it would be much easier to sit it out than power through..

02-May-17
Good job buddy!

02-May-17
Good deal! The purpose must result in strivings, intent has to be translated into action which is resolution in the pursuit of one's goals. "He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake

02-May-17
I'll embrace the suck with you,

02-May-17
Sorry for sending you the sideways snow storm and wind! We had it and it was tough for conditioning outdoors! ha

Good luck, Robb

02-May-17
Good on you, but would of been a nope for me! I'll embrace the suck to actually hunt and love it, but not for training hike!

02-May-17
That's cool. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. Good words of encouragement.

02-May-17
I was out in the sideways rain yesterday as well embracing the suck and getting funny looks from passing vehicles. I have not invested in any running clothes for cold wet conditions so I went with running shorts and a Sitka long sleeve baselayer shirt. Actually was more comfortable than my running shirts. I had forgotten how quickly those things dry out. When the rain would stop and the 25 mph wind would hit me the shirt would be dry in no time and then it would rain again. Yup I was definitely embracing the suck.

02-May-17
I liked your cross-species cross-fit moose parkour program, Lou. Running, jumping, fjording, vaulting deadfall, hiding. It just seemed like more of a game. The moose provided external stimuli and encouragement. A partner to keep you going when you might be feeling fatigued.

02-May-17
Be careful, Lou, it's addictive....haha!

Nice work...one more deposit in the bank.

02-May-17
The toughest part of hunting for me: crawling out of bed early in the morning. So ... "embracing the suck" means I'm up and out of bed -- no snoozing -- at 4:40, regardless of how much sleep I've had. Exercising varies over the year from "maintenance" to "training" but always seems refreshing, never a burden. But waking up is something I always have to make myself do.

02-May-17
Lou way to tough it out. I've had some of my best days hunting when it's been a sucky day weather wise.

02-May-17
Nice...enjoy (or embrace) the journey!

02-May-17
Sitting here this morning thinking, "Damn, I need to get in shape!"

Followed by, "It is really going to suck"

Guess I need to just get up off my can and go out and "Embrace the Suck!"

02-May-17
Is it 'suck' or is it 'blow'? :)

02-May-17
Good job. It's tough to do it this time of year when you don't really have to go out in the cold. I'm headed northwest today for scouting and sheds. I'm hoping to drive out from under the storm. Warm spell predicted soon.

02-May-17
Well done Lou!

02-May-17
Lou, way to go, we all need to kick ourselves in the azz at times! I hear ya on the "after 10-15 minutes things brightened up some & you were glad you did it! My hat's off to you sir!

ElkNut1

02-May-17
"Embrace the suck!" I like it.

02-May-17
Good stuff!

02-May-17
"Embrace The suck" I love it Lou. That would've been a great title for my last year's elk hunt! LOL. I agree, it's definitely tough getting out and training in crappy weather. It's a lot easier to get up in crappy weather when actually hunting as opposed to just training which you can always put off for another day. Keep it up buddy.

02-May-17
Selfies are sooo cool!

02-May-17
Nicely done Lou!!

Mark

02-May-17
The hardest part is definitely the first step. Lack of motivation is my biggest issue some days, but seeing others do it gets me pumped. Thanks Jaq.

02-May-17
Good on you Lou! Embrace the suck is a good mantra to have...I usually keep telling myself the deer/elk/caribou/turkey aren't taking a day off so I can't afford to do take one off. My hunting skills are already a strike against me so I exercise hard so that my fitness level isn't a second strike.

02-May-17
Thanks, guys. The encouragement from the other thread was what kicked me in the butt when I was looking out the window, deciding what to do.

About 10 minutes into it i remembered how many days I've spent hunting the plains when the weather was as bad, or worse. Just isn't as steep or rocky out there... :)

02-May-17
Orionsbrother, having a moose for a training partner definitely adds motivation! Moose all over this year. I have bear spray on one side of my hip belt and a .357 on the other. Hoping both stay holstered all summer....

02-May-17
Good job, Lou! Keep up the good work!

02-May-17
I was halfway through my outdoor "session" yesterday when I got hit with wind/horizontal rain that almost put me into the next zip code. Went to get in the truck this AM to go turkey hunting, and the seat was still soaking wet......but the sense of accomplishment makes it easier to put one foot in front of another, when you are out there getting it done.....

02-May-17
WTG Lou!!!!!

I made the other decision Sunday.....kinda regretting it. But got to spend quality time with the family so that was good.

02-May-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Bowsite special. Only $59.95 at Nick's Teeshirt Emporium

Only smalls and mediums left. All the XXLs are all sold out.

02-May-17
I have a fly fishing t-shirt with an embroidered Royal Coachman under the words, "Bite Me!". Once at a vacation resort a woman saw it on an elevator and FREAKED OUT. Said it was the most disgusting thing she's ever seen.

I tried to explain what it meant but she wouldn't have any of that. It was "profane". I told her she needed to get out more...

Imagine "Embrace the suck" probably wouldn't go over well with her.

02-May-17
Dang it, Troy...we could have made a fortune!

t-roy had sent me a text asking for an XXL....he hadn't started training yet. lol!

02-May-17
Love the title. Hit the mountains off trail with 35 lbs for 1.5 hrs then went to spin cycle class. Legs are dogmeat now. Thought about "embracing the suck" the whole time.

02-May-17
You are a inspiration Lou I always figured you guys living out there had it easier gettin in shape.Not the case. I have tea shirts from the BITE ME BAIT COMPANY in NEWPORT ROHDE ISLAND. they don't sell any bait just tee shirts ! the world is full of tree huggers!

02-May-17
Your moms embrace the suck

02-May-17
Nick, the only reason I wanted the XXL is cause I've been overdoing it on the upper body stuff! ;-(

At the very least, we should have trademarked it!$$

02-May-17
I remember my drill instructor in Marine Corps boot camp (78) yelling Embrace the Suck.. Loved it then and its even cooler now. Motivating stuff.. Thanks

02-May-17
Given the authors history, I was hesitant to even open this thread.

03-May-17
I'm actually surprised at how many dirty jokes WEREN'T made after reading the thread title. You guys are really beginning to disappoint me! :-)

03-May-17
This phrase has been a mainstay of the Navy Seals. On my last sheep hunt when my internal motor was sputtering on the hike in, my guide looked back at me in disgust and asked me if I was slowly dying. I was quick to respond, "No, I am just embracing the suck." Lou you are an inspiration. I need to get out and do more embracing with my pack on, lest the above accounted incident reoccurrs this fall...

03-May-17
I'll trade you that hiking weather for my July Arkansas weather which will be 105 degree's and 95% humidity .... those days the asphalt sticks to the soles of your shoes in places and makes a cold windy day a dream !!!

03-May-17
Stealthy,

I was embracing the suck the other day with wind chills around zero. I was thinking how much I'll be longing to be cold in 2-3 months and it made me laugh.

03-May-17
You are definitely inspiring. Maybe need a WWJaqD wrist band.

03-May-17
I have two yellow stickies on my bathroom mirror. One says "Harden up!". The other says "What would Bob do?" As in, Bob Ameen, aka Blacktail Bob.

Bob once told me the mountain he climbs almost every day is a "small mountain"..... The fitter you get, the smaller the mountains get. My June 1 goal is to get to the top of the "small mountain" behind my place with a full pack. It's steep, there is no trail, lots of deadfall logs and rocks.

As RockyD taught me, setting realistic goals is an important part of the fitness process. Whether that's running a marathon (NOPE!) or reaching some other measurable performance goal, it's critical to have something to point toward for measurement, rather than simply "going elk hunting".

03-May-17
That's a big X-2 Stealthy, do know where you are coming from.

03-May-17
My mantra could not be so Freudian. I'd develop a complex.

03-May-17
I need one of those what would Bob and Jaq do stickers.

03-May-17
I'm taking my 16 year old son high country backpacking in July and he asked me a day or two ago while we were walking (getting used to packs etc) what the weather was going to be like

LOL young kids .... what's the weather going to be at 12,000 feet !!! he'll find out ... oh he'll find out ... :)

03-May-17
@stealthycat, questionable with a high chance of adventure. Have fun!

03-May-17
Yep, heat and snow in the same hour. Enjoy the adventure with him!

03-May-17
I rode my mountain bike with my brother this afternoon. When I got home my wife asked me if I wanted to grab our packs and hike the bluff. Halfway up I was muttering "embrace the suck", and my wife was giving me weird looks.

My legs are trashed....

03-May-17

Native Okie's embedded Photo
Native Okie's embedded Photo

04-May-17
The devil on one shoulder saying (in a homer simpson voice) 'beer good', the angel on the other saying 'It's only 4 months to elk season big boy, better get 'er going.' Then again, it was 85 degrees today. More of a dehydration issue. Hard to say that sucks. Still, grinding the miles, the elevation , and the weights in preparation is much the same.

04-May-17
Beer is my reward. My "cool down" after kettles/weights tonight was the cold air from the fridge door opening.

Quality of life is about balance..

04-May-17
You got that right, Jag!

04-May-17
Jaq, not chocolate milk...

04-May-17
Nice work Lou!! Been going to Bikram yoga with my lady once a week. 26 holds and movements over 90 minutes in a 105 degree room. The first class I barely survived....now I'm addicted and convinced it's gonna make me live forever.

06-May-17
Embraced the suck this evening with a banzai turkey hunt after work. Worked up a sweat, sent out some sweet yelps, busted ass to 3 different setups.......nada. But I gave it all and was a wet nasty noodle by the time I got back to the truck 6 miles later. So really....it was a cardio backpack run with several 30 minute sit downs watching empty woods with no gobbling.

06-May-17
I have two yellow stickies on my bathroom mirror. One says "Harden up!".Does that come with a little blue pill in the medicine cabinet!! Sorry I couldn't resist..

06-May-17
Back to the point where if I don't do something each day, my brain says "the day ain't over".

06-May-17
I just do pelvic thrusts for a half hour every night. That's how I embrace the suck.

07-May-17
"I just do pelvic thrusts for a half hour every night."

She said 2 minutes...tops. :) :) :)

07-May-17
Ike, I didn't realize playing air guitar and dancing in front of a mirror was considered "working out"..

You kids these days!...

;-)

07-May-17

jordanathome's embedded Photo
Found these down in a hole chasing turkeys that were not there today. I embraced a load of suck hiking back up outta that motha........

08-May-17
Ok I'll bite Jordan, what is it?

08-May-17
Ore carts from an old mine. I shoulda gone over closer but I was half way out of the hole and not interested in expending any extra effort. Some day I will get up close and personal with them as I am a huge mining enthusiast and love to pan and sluice.

08-May-17

This is a very small piece of the hike outta that hole.

08-May-17

And the view down in from about 1/3rd of the way out........well worth embracing the suck to go down in there. This is the lower flat part.

08-May-17

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Golf ball sized hail and some larger!
Golf ball sized hail and some larger!
About racquet ball sized
About racquet ball sized
I sure hope no one was "embracing the suck" in the foothills area near Denver today. You'd likely have a few knots and a headache.

08-May-17

bud's MOBILE embedded Photo
bud's MOBILE embedded Photo

Turkey hunted Sat morning then went shed hunting. Got cliffed out had to cross waist deep snow drift. Got to the top wife said,That Sucked. I pirated your line Jaquamo. Honey just embrace the suck.

• Sitka Gear