Mark Watkins 04-May-17
must@huntelk 04-May-17
Barty1970 05-May-17
deerhaven 05-May-17
Barty1970 05-May-17
Scar Finga 05-May-17
bowaddict 07-May-17
03-May-17
Anyone who has shot an elk with a slick trick standard 4 blade give me the scoop. The good, the bad , and the ugly. Would you use them again. Likes, dislikes, pics whatever. Thinking of going with them for elk, just want some experiences.

03-May-17

WFGinNM's embedded Photo
WFGinNM's embedded Photo
I like them, for me they hit right with my field points. I hit this bull right behind the right shoulder at 2 yards 1/4 at me, the 100gr. Slick Trick standard buried into the hip socket on his left side. He died on the run actually crashed into the burnt snag behind his head. It's what's in my quiver.

--Bill

03-May-17
I was disappointed with penetration. At least out of my 60 lb Hoyt defiant and out of my wife's 48 lb bowtec. It was on a few shots on 2 moose.

03-May-17
I've never killed an elk, but I have killed a kudu with them. A kudu is about the same size animal as an elk. No problems experienced.

03-May-17
My hunting partner has killed a bunch of bulls with that head, 125 gr. From 52-55# recurves and Beman carbons. Total arrow package is around 450 grains.

03-May-17
They go in one side and out the other. Lots of blood and a dead critter in short order. I've killed elk, deer, bear, pig, and turkey. Never a problem with penetration.

03-May-17
Love them in 125gr, been using the Magnum since before it was called such. However, I have recently switched to the Viper Trick and think I like them better. Tough call, they are both great.

03-May-17
I also use the 125gr. Magnum on everything. Out of my set-up (Mathews Z7 @ 67lbs.), they fly great, and, more often then not, complete pass-thru. I've killed a lot tough animals with this head and I'm not changing anytime soon.

03-May-17

CObowhunter's embedded Photo
CObowhunter's embedded Photo
Sorry not a standard but I shot this bull this year with a 100gr. Mag. Complete pass thru and he only made it about 30 yards before tipping over. Very happy with Slick Tricks performance so far.

03-May-17

Dyjack's embedded Photo
Dyjack's embedded Photo
30 yards full pass through died in seconds.

03-May-17
Four dead bulls, all but one a pass through...68 lb bow, 27 1/2" draw, 421 grain arrow.

They fly right with FP out to 80 in practice sessions other than the drop about 2" more than the FP and are also obviously affected a bit more by a cross wind.

They have always been razor sharp but after the buyout they became even sharper (somehow?)....

Mark

03-May-17
I shoot Viper's and won't switch anytime soon. I shoot in the high 50# range and shot through a moose last year with them. Great head!!!! Can't see why you wouldn't like the standards.

03-May-17
I guess I'm doing something wrong. I love the way they fly, but I've never had good penetration on elk with them. I don't know for a fact, but one elk I lost seemed like it may have been a penetration issue as I thought I ten ringed him, but I didn't kill him. Was a quartering shot on a big bull.

The blades on the mags are really steep, I mean steep. If you shoot them I'd make sure you have some good arrow weight and speed.

Deer, sheep, bears, antelope, good performing head, I won't use the standard or mags on elk any longer

Good luck.

03-May-17
Been using them for 8 years. 8 Elk are in the freezer. 420gr 65lb PSE

03-May-17
I shoot the Mag 125's and get great penetration. Mostly pass thru's with the exception of my last dead elk which center punched a rib on entry and broke the rib on the exit side and barely stopped short of an exit hole. I won't soon be changing my setup. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

03-May-17
3 bulls 2 cows and its the only head I will elk hunt with. Im shooting about 62 lbs 400 grainish arrows and mostly pass thrus with one hanging up on the fletchings at exit and one that took a quartering cow in the back ribs that buried to the fletch. Three went down within sight. Thumbs up all the way

04-May-17
One elk with a 125 standard....20 yard frontal went clear through and buried in the hip.

04-May-17
Went to 125 Viper's a few years ago and I will never shoot another head a big game animal. 50 yard pass-through on my elk last year, absolutely love the head. Have had a pass-through on everything it's touched including a 210 lb whitetail shot straight down through lateral spine and out the bottom of the sternum. Sharpened and ready to go again!

04-May-17
My only elk: 125g magnum. 18 yd shot. No pass thru, head poking thru hide on the off side. Elk went 75 yds. 65lb Hoyt 420g arrow

04-May-17
Viper Tricks are what we've taken 1/2 doz bulls or so with, no issues at all. Mostly pass throughs! I like the head!

ElkNut1

04-May-17
always been happy with them I shoot the standard 100gr. Will use them again. most have piled up fast. never had a penetration issue. 7 elk so far I see no reason to change.

04-May-17
We're leaving in 16 days to Alaska for black bear. I chose the Slick Trick Razor Trick in 125 as our head, so we will hopefully have a good report soon on their performance. I like the cut on contact blade and the really short, solid metal ferrule. I've shot fixed blade heads with aluminum ferrules and had the ferrule bend, making them no longer useable.

04-May-17
I shot a whitetail and an elk with them. Whitetail was liver, no blood, and elk was high lung, also not much blood. Could have been the shots, but I wasn't crazy pumped so I moved onto other heads. They whistle a lot in flight and I have a thing for a quiet head. Prob half the reason I moved on. Found both, and they'll kill stuff dead obviously. Shoot great and is a stout, sharp head.

04-May-17
I have had great luck with a 125 and Elk but not so great with the same head and whitetail. It shoots great but I have failed to have complete pass through on two whitetail at about 15 yards. It's weird because I had great pass through on Elk at longer distances.

04-May-17

Mike-TN's embedded Photo
Mike-TN's embedded Photo
I have taken several elk and one moose with the 100 gr standard slick trick. Been shooting them for several years and have no plans to change.

04-May-17
Screw needing pass-thrus. Many times there are quartering too, or quartering away shots that wont pass thru. But elk is still dead as dead can be...

Like these two... with SlickTrick Standards

04-May-17

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Killed this one with a 19 yard frontal shot with the 100 grain magnum.

04-May-17
Cnelk,

The daily double!!!!

Sweet!!!

Congrats!!!

Mark

04-May-17

must@huntelk's embedded Photo
must@huntelk's embedded Photo
Killed this bull last year at 43 yards Pass through

05-May-17

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
Ok...these life-size elk vitals are only paper...but at 60 yards, the ST 125 gr magnums fly like darts from my Hoyt Faktor 34 at 60# ;-)

I am longing for the day I can set foot in the elk woods [I'm a British bowhunter with plans to travel] and send my arrow through the first legal elk which presents a good shot

05-May-17
Six elk in about the same amount of years. Some were shot with 125 standards and some with 125 magnums. More than 1/2 I watched tip over. I am a huge fan. My wife also shot her elk with a standard. I am a huge fan of Slick Trick but she has switched to the Viper and may also since I don't see much downside to that head.

Mike

05-May-17
Cnelk...the stars and planets and everything aligned for you, for sure!!

Epic; abso-frickin'-lutely EPIC!!

PS if you happen to feel like picking six random number between 1 and 45, do please let me know...with luck like yours...

05-May-17
As everyone else said great product. The key with ANY quality, sharp broadhead is tuning your bow!

07-May-17
I have been using them exclusively since they came out.....love them! I used to switch and experiment all the time, not anymore. They fly great, they are tough and sharp! I've never had problems with penetration(63 lbs, 125gr head, 410 gr.) Several bull elk, whitetails, mulies, sheep, goat and pronghorn. I stay away from magnums because of steeper blade angle, and you don't need the larger cut with this head. They really do create "slug holes" due to the four blade design.

• Sitka Gear