Badlands Mule Deer
Mule Deer
Contributors to this thread:
HNTFRK 04-May-17
LKH 04-May-17
kota-man 04-May-17
HNTFRK 04-May-17
04-May-17
Hi All, A few friends and I will be going out to do some archery hunting in the badlands this upcoming fall. We'd love to shoot some nice muleys in velvet, but we don't have high standards for needing a trophy deer. Having never hunted the badlands we are looking for any sort of advice? Approximate areas to go, techniques for hunting early season, etc. We plan on going for opener, the first week of september and doing plenty of hiking and camping off the road? I've heard most of the '4' units are good, but looking for any kind of advice from anyone who's hounted in western Nodak in the past.

Thanks!

04-May-17
SD has a public access listing. Does ND? I would definitely order some BLM maps and get a landownership chip for the GPS. They are priceless when in a new area that has almost no signage. Without you spend way too much time figuring out where you are.

04-May-17
Yes, ND has public access, but the application period for non residents is over/done.

What State are you hunting?

04-May-17
Well the plan was North Dakota, but I guess we missed the deadline for tags. I was under the impression they were OTC, but a call to fish and game confirmed that's the whitetail only tag...I'm an idiot. I guess thatll mean looking into South Dakota later in September or possibly using my MT tag during the archery season. Thanks for the heads up!

• Sitka Gear