smarba 05-May-17
APauls 05-May-17
Muddyboots 05-May-17
wyobullshooter 05-May-17
ohiohunter 05-May-17
txhunter58 05-May-17
Heat 05-May-17
04-May-17
What brand/type of knife(s) do you use in the backcountry? Seems like game bags and knife(s)/sharpener make up a large percentage of my pack's weight and I'm curious what others are using.

04-May-17
Havalon Pirana. Light weight and perfect for taking care of an elk

04-May-17
Most hunters carry more and larger knives than they really need. I have seldom had a need for more than good, folding, single blade knife and a small whet rock or hone. E folding belt or pocket knife is plenty. No need to carry a huge assortment. As for brand, use whatever suits you. They key is to simply, keep it sharp. I have gutted, quartered, skinned out and boned out elk with nothing but a Case, pocket knife.

04-May-17
I use Havalon knives and bring a few extra blades. But I've never broken one. I use synthetic bags, which pack small and are very light. If you are concerned about breaking a blade, I also have the Outdoor Edge EDC Lite. More traditional blade profile and the blade is better supported and, I believe, less likely to break.

04-May-17
I've skinned and boned out bull elk with a leatherman.

04-May-17
Havalon knives work really well and are really light weight. Have broken a few blades (usually when caping), but not when skinning and breaking down an animal.

04-May-17

04-May-17
Havalon Piranta....very tough to beat.

04-May-17
I use an Outdoor Edge Razor lite. I like the way the blades change better than the Havalon and I like the supported blade as well. Carry a few extra blades and no need to even pack a sharpener.

04-May-17

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Love this solid knife, needs no resharpening to get through a bull.
Love this solid knife, needs no resharpening to get through a bull.
I like a one piece solid knife for breaking down Deer & Elk. I did try the Havolon route but too flimsy & weak for my taste. Not sure what you mean by a heavy pack but with 4- elk bags, food for all day, 80.oz water, camera, gps, maps, first aid kit, extra folding knife, headlamp, etc. my Exo Pack 3500 weighs in at 13-lbs. Still plenty light to load the heck out of it with elk meat!

ElkNut1

04-May-17
Same here on the Outdoor Edge. To remove and re-attach blades on the Havalon requires you place your finger in harm's way, or bring pliers. One is unacceptable, one adds more weight than you save. Blades tend to stick to the knife when the blood gets in and starts to dry. And yes, I lube the heck out of it to prevent that from happening.

04-May-17
CRKT Droptine

04-May-17
I use the Cabela's Alaskan Guide knife. Holds it's edge exceptionally well. I tried a Havalon a couple years ago and the blade snapped within the first 30 seconds. It's now relegated to fish and birds.

04-May-17
x2 Wyo, the cabelas buck alaskan guide series are phenomenal knives, vanguard and crosslock, cross lock has saved my but several times deer hunting. I will always have one of those and a havelon. Havelons are brittle and takes a little getting used to it, they're growing on me. They also offer heavier blades for their different models. As for blade removal I'll usually purposely snap off the blade and use a stick or something to get the rest of, press firmly into the ground away from kill site or when you cleaning up for final pack out. It won't take long to rust and be one w/ the earth again.

04-May-17
medium size single blade folder, and a small (+/-4" blade") fixed blade belt knife.

04-May-17
I carry a Havalon Piranta in my kill kit and a Swiss Army Cadet Alox in my pocket as my camp knife. I can't tell you how many times I've returned to the truck after a few days in the backcountry and the bottles not be twist offs. Problem solved. No more using the door hinges to open them.

04-May-17
Yep Havalon Piranta is all I need in my pack and I always throw in about 5 extra blades as I like to use a sharp blade while breaking down. Super lightweight. Plus I always have a leatherman as well just in case of emergencies.

04-May-17
Outdoor Edge Razor Lite for me as well. The removal of Havalon blades in the back country scares me. I have several Havalons, but rarely use them anymore. I do like to use the BIG Havalon Fillet knife for boning at home though.

04-May-17
Ditto on the Havalon Piranha

04-May-17
I use a Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf. Absolutely love it.

04-May-17
box knife with extra blades and 1 bigger boning type knife

04-May-17
I have the Havalon Barracuda. Been used on a few elk and a few deer. I like it except for cutting the thick neck hide on elk. The bigger blades must make it easier to change them. I am careful but never thought it was unsafe or had any problems. I have never used a piranta.

04-May-17
Havalon

04-May-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Havalon user here on travel hunts or when caping. However I never hunt without my Bark River Drop point whether it's a backcountry hunt or at home. Whether it's turkeys, scouting, whatever, my Bark River is almost always on my belt, and sees the bulk of my knife work.

04-May-17
Haven't used anything but Havalon for 10+ years through a pile of animals. The 60A blades are thicker than 60 and marked improvement. For all I know maybe the 60A are all the standard now. You have to finess butchering like a surgeon, but I've completed gutless on bull elk with as few as 2 blades. I usually have 5-6 blades with me, as you never know. Sometimes they break, sometimes they get dull quicker with mud on the hide etc. Dont' think I've ever needed more than 4.

04-May-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I carry this for caping. 11$ for 10 on amazon. 1 will do the job. No changing blades and they are super light. I carry a small boning knife for the dirty work.

04-May-17
Prolly not the guy you want to hear from if you're looking to lighten up. I'm a tool guy, actually enjoy sharpening blades be it a knife or a broadhead, I carry a DMT Diafold sharpener along with a few different knives in my kill kit and a leatherman on my belt. I also carry a piranta in my kill kit with a few blades, but normally only use it for caping. A great little knife for what it does, I use it so much through the year I order blades by the case. Use it a bunch for caping pheasants. Have the fixed stainless handles for them too back at the shop caping out euro mounts. But IMO it sucks for deboning, etc.. Skinning I like a knife with a "zipper" blade (not a gut hook) to open the hide from inside cutting as little hair as possible, a modified Edge swing or flip n zip blade works well, had a browning multi blade folder with a zipper on it that was great too.

Skinned down to where it's deboning time my favorite tool is a 5" or 6" straight flexible (victorinox now) boning knife. So fast and handy, nice clean cuts that really follow the bone... the small flexible tip getting into the bone sockets real well..... backstrap that isn't all chopped up, the difference of using a filet knife or your pocket knife filleting a fish. Once you use one to debone in the field you'll think about packing one. Really handy in camp too. Those knives live in the kill kit with meat bags, hanging meat bag, first aid kit, etc, in a kifaru med. pocket on a duplex frame, all year long, in my truck right now.

I don't mind the extra weight of the right tool/gear when I want it, not a minimalist that cuts the handle off their toothbrush. I couldn't tell you if my daypack was 20 lbs or 25 lbs, but it ain't 10 or 15. If I'm worried about weight I'll find somewhere else to cut, buy a better sleeping bag or tent and really cut some weight. Or even lose an extra lb or two before the hunt.....=D

04-May-17
Depends on how far from the truck and how long the trip. I always have a Havalon Piranta. The newer blades come off easy. And usually the Fallkniven Swedish military survival issue. Solid, heavy blade, non slip handle and a good belt sheath. Just not cheap.

I probably have seven or eight quality knives that will work, half of them folders, but don't use most of them anymore.

Find the Outdoor Edge Razor to be not near as sharp as the Havalon, so that has become a truck knife.

ElkNut1, are you packing dehydrated water?

04-May-17
Ambush....where can you buy that dehydrated water! lol

If looking at the Havalon knives, I would recommend the Forge (used to be the Bolt I believe) over the Piranta. I have both and like the Bolt/Forge way better. It takes the 60A blades that aren't nearly as flimsy vs the 60XT blades for the Piranta. They also make 70A blades that have a blunt tip on them as well. They are both awesome knives, but the Forge is the better of the two IMO.

04-May-17
Ambush, never heard of it? I know my pack weight sounds light & it is! 13# loaded & 15# when I take my top & bottom rain suit. I only carry it on days where I feel I may need it! I have everything in it I need, it's been this aprox weight for many years! I cannot find a reason why it would need to weigh more?

ElkNut1

04-May-17
Outdoor razor edge for me.

04-May-17
Havalon Piranta works well for me. I have never had problems changing out the blades by hand, but they do have a lightweight plastic changer that doesn't require you to touch the blade at all.

04-May-17
Buck paklite- But now I am curious about those Havalon's

04-May-17

CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
I have a havalon and it comes in very handy but I prefer a fixed blade for just about everything. Here is the one I'm currently carrying.

04-May-17
I have a few good knives, but the Canadian belt knife may be my go to knife. I will carry something to sharpen and tune it up if going far from truck or overnight. Weather I'm going for a short hike or overnighter, I want a good knife. I'll skimp somewhere else.

04-May-17
I carry a Dozier pro guide whenever I am in the back county.

04-May-17
Fillet knife or havilon barracuda..... i hate short blades for breaking down elk.

04-May-17

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
I love something with a guthook, that holds a good edge that can be touched up in the field. Just got this from Cutco, I can make short work of an elk with this, using the gutless method.

Running the seams up the legs and up the vent with the guthook takes seconds, and I don't have to be careful about the paunch.

I just put it on my pack belt, it's a little bulky, but doesn't bother me when walking or shooting.

Best of Luck, Jeff

04-May-17
I carry a big fixed blade on my belt for the day I have to knife fight a lion.... Or cut trees, rope, and stuff. I have a pope and young outdoor edge with a gut hook that sits in my pack in case I ever forget to pack knives. Have yet to use it on anything.

For animal breakdown I keep a replaceable blade knife. currently it's a havalon. 2015 I used an outdoor edge replaceable. Both are great and serve their purpose well.

I do have a small cheap sharpener in my first aid kit, but it's a just to have kind of thing.

05-May-17

Beendare's Link
I'm with ya TD. I tried the Havalons...but prefer a good knife.

Key to a good knife is the steel and there are some great resources for finding the right blade steel. My S30v blades can do 2 elk without touchup. I'm currently using this one at link- Benchmade Steep country orange handle- great tool.

05-May-17
I usually carry a custom Mike Doolittle, 3" blade - plenty long enough, strong enough, and sharp enough to gut and skin any animal. DMT sharpeners are the bomb, keep one back in camp. Like the Benchmades with S30v blades - hella sharp and really hold an edge. I know how and like to to sharpen knives so I don't need to dispose of blades when they get dull. Those things look pretty fragile for the heavy work my knives do.

05-May-17

ohiohunter's embedded Photo
Hard to handle one of these and not want it
Hard to handle one of these and not want it
After you spring the $ for s30v its all about the heat treatment. I do think the bos is hands down the best. My buck holds an edge noticeably longer than my benchmade.

05-May-17
I have a Piranta and have used it to process elk but really prefer a good fixed blade. Like kota, changing the blades spooks me.

Depperschmidt custom these days, and a tiny carbon and ceramic sharpener.

Elknut, I need some lessons on building a hunting pack. Your empty pack and 80 oz water should weigh in right at 10 lbs. What other items are you carrying in that other 3 lbs? Not being facetious, because mine is several pounds more than that with a kill kit, full survival kit, first aid kit, food, camera, game bags, bear spray, etc.. and my empty pack weighs 2 lbs less than yours and I'm only carrying 48 oz water.

Are you and the "team" sharing some stuff to keep your pack that light? Serious question.

05-May-17

thedude's embedded Photo
thedude's embedded Photo
I get the victorinox for free from the local butchers when they get tired of putting on a new edge. They are ergonomic, light, cheap and easy to sharpen.

05-May-17
I often use my caping knives for boning out game. A heftier knife like several of the knives listed above would be more ideal for boning meat. I often life smaller/lighter knives when I backpack hunt or carry gear for miles and miles. The more compact and lighter the better!

I've been using Victorinox paring knives for the past 5 years. They are super light, have a super sharp blade, and I can get an edge on them in a matter of minutes. The other thing I like about them is they are $5.00 to $10.00 each. If I loose one...no big deal!

The other knife I just started using is the free knife with disposable blades that comes with an Eastman's subscription. I really like the Victorinox paring knives but the Eastman's knife tends to keep an edge longer. I tried Piranta knives a couple seasons. They had super sharp blades that often broke and I often put a lot more holes in capes with them. I almost had a super bad accident when a blade broke on a sheep hunt and haven't used it ever since.

05-May-17
The dude, victornox is my preferred boning knife. For an 8$ knife it's hard to beat. I also use a lot of their pairing knives at home for skinning and in the kitchen.

05-May-17
I recently got a Havalon and havent tried it out on elk yet, but for the past 15+ years its been a Cutco for me

photo butcher3-1_zps98de0356.jpg

05-May-17
The new Swiss Army Hunter from Victorinox is my go-to knife. 4" blade, gut blade and saw. If I bring that, the Outdoor Edge and a small diamond hone, I'm good. I almost never want to bring one knife, but if I do, at least these two are both orange so I can find them.

05-May-17
I've really enjoyed using the Havalon Piranta the last couple years.

Then again, going in on a caribou bull mano eh mano with nothing but a havalon piranta may or may not end up in blade snapping off and riding a bull into water thus turning into a fight where drowning the caribou bull is the only option left. Don't ask me how I know.

05-May-17
Never could figure why people needed so many knives and sharpeners. I use a Buck 450 which is a black handled folder with about a 3" blade. I have a small diamond that fits in the homemade belt sheath for the Buck.

Once did 2 RM goats and a large black bear with a Gerber folder. That included fleshing and doing the lips and ears. Didn't even take a sharpener. Just picked up a piece of shale and sharpened as needed.

05-May-17
Randall # 25 in 6". Been my carry all for 17 years now. Can skin and de-bone an elk in short order without touching the blade, pry BHs from a tree, and dispatch a spine shot deer or hog with aplumb. Can process 2 elk between sharpenings. Yes a 6 year wait, and $500. But it was $230 when I ordered it and my grandson will carry it for his life when I am gone, and his children after that. A truly great knife is worth having IMHO.

05-May-17

These items are in my pack!
These items are in my pack!
Pack on scale!
Pack on scale!
Pack loaded weight minus cell phone & paper map!
Pack loaded weight minus cell phone & paper map!
Pack loaded at kill site!
Pack loaded at kill site!
Jaq, here you go sir! In the 1st photo you can see basically everything that is in my pack. 4- game bags, 80.oz of water in bladder, food for all day, GPS, glasses, compass, folding knife, carbide knife sharpener, first aid/fire kit, pills, extra batteries, headlamp, extra .357 ammo, paracord, celox stops bleeding, mole skin, 5 hour energy for pack outs, water filter straw. Not shown was my Iphone for photos & map of area I head into, they would weigh aprox 6.oz -- Total weight aprox 13# -- I did weigh my rain gear, top & bottoms & they weighed 1-lb 7.oz -- This works for me, I can add a hindquarter on the bone & a boned out front shoulder sandwiched between main bag & frame to this light load.

My knife shown above & .357 is strapped to my side so are not in my pack.

ElkNut1

05-May-17
Thanks, elknut. I can't read the scale but i believe you. I basically carry everything you do, with a more substantial survival kit but no radio. I need to figure put how to make it all weigh only 3 lbs, as you seem to have done. Good job!

05-May-17

Here's the weight minus cell phone & map!
Here's the weight minus cell phone & map!
Whoops, doubled up the photo with pack on scale. I meant to show this photo where scale can be seen best!

ElkNut1

05-May-17
I carry a Havalon for processing game, I don't carry it for weight savings so much as just for the fact that I like it. I bought a small pair of fishing forceps for changing the blades, they work great and tuck right into the case. I have a couple fixed blade knives that I usually leave in my tent, although sometimes one goes along in my pack as well.

I don't understand the guys that say they break too many Havalon blades. I learned to do a much better and cleaner job of field dressing and after I started using that knife, and I've only broken one blade ever. It forces you to use finesse instead of brute strength, much like a thin boning or fillet knife.

05-May-17
Two semi stiff victronox boning knives for me. They stay in my kit with the game bags. I have a folder in my pocket for utility use.

05-May-17
Agreed Surf. BTW Havalon has a blade removal plastic shell that works well and protects your fingers, although for years all I've done is held the blade on a stick with my boot, flexed the portion of the blade necessary for removal and pulled. Easier to do than explain, but very safe and works fine.

05-May-17
I've never felt in danger of cutting myself while changing Havalon blades either, but I do it carefully and bend the blade with right had from the back side of the blades. Me left hand it holding the knife and then my left pointer finger lifts the back of the blade and now my right hand pulls it off.

05-May-17
Mora Clipper is my go-to knife for elk. I particularly like the grip when my hand isn't clean. I can break down an elk without sharpening.

05-May-17
"I don't understand the guys that say they break too many Havalon blades....It forces you to use finesse..."

When the temperature's rising, the flies are swarming looking for a place to lay eggs, and yellow jackets want to make a meal out of either me or my elk, finesse ain't in my repertoire. To each their own, but the last thing I want to worry about is a blade snapping.

Now when I get the elk back home and start butchering, I agree the Barracuda shines.

05-May-17
F blow flies! CA was hands down the worst! We shot a bear and by the time we rolled to the bottom of the mtn it looked like it had sneezed something fierce. Now I pack citric acid and douce everything.

05-May-17
Some people use the new scalpel/razor blade knives and that is fine. For me, I will continue to use my 3.5" folding knife I got as a high school graduation present as I consider to be my "lucky knife". Never go on any hunt without it! German steel makes it good for more than 1 elk between sharpenings. From the time I walk up to a down elk, until I have it quartered and ready to pack is 30-40 minutes with that knife. Good enough for me!

05-May-17
I'm a fixed blade knife guy also. I like my Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter a bunch. Holds a very sharp edge and has the best ergos of any knife I have held. I also have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Buck 113 that I kinda like too. Also have the Victorinox boning knife, that is great for its purpose.

• Sitka Gear