Z Barebow 05-May-17
huntabsarokee 05-May-17
smarba 05-May-17
Dyjack 05-May-17
donnybowhunter 14-May-17
LesWelch 16-May-17
iceman 16-May-17
04-May-17
It seems to me that I have never seen this brought up, but do most of you guys have a pack rain cover that you bring into the backcountry? I have just used a black construction-grade trash bag before, but the actual pack covers are much lighter. Not a big discussion topic, but thought I would see what some of you use.

04-May-17
I have waterproof bags for all of my gear that needs to be protected.

04-May-17
My alps pack came with one. It's bright orange and I use it more to find my pack when I forget where the hell I put it down. Whenever I retire my alps pack, the rain cover will be swappedto the new one.

04-May-17
Yep

05-May-17
My Tenzing pack has a built-in cover as well. Love it!

05-May-17
Never needed one, even during one archery season where it seemed to rain hard every day. The cordura is pretty waterproof. If I have stuff inside that needs protection, it's protected inside.

05-May-17
Most high quality backpacks are usually waterproof. I've never used or brought along a backpack rain cover here in Colo or Wyo because it generally rains for a while, clears up, and my pack generally dries out. I also hunt relatively open country with little brush so don't have to worry about thick brush when wet soaking my backpack. Rain covers are somewhat of a pain in the rear if you need to get gear quickly out of your pack (spotting scope/tripod, etc).

I bring and often use a backpack cover on all my Alaska trips because it can rain for several days at a time. I often hunt mtn goats in Alaska where there is a jungle of brush. When the brush is wet things tend to get even wetter. In humid and wet areas like Alaska things can gradually get saturated over days and days of wet weather. It also takes forever to dry so it's often worth the hassle of dealing with a rain cover. My backpack rain cover is so light and compact so it doesn't take up much room in my pack.

As backpack hunter mentioned above using dry bags is also an option. In Alaska I put my sleeping bag in super light waterproof bags and often use ziplocs for other sensitive gear that I want added protection from the elements.

If you plan on living in rain for extended periods of time I would recommend a backpack cover. If hunting arid areas where it may rain a day and your backpack and gear has time to dry it may not be worth it. A cover is a pain to deal with while hunting so it may not be worth it in many situations.

05-May-17
Yes, and it was a lesson learnt the hard way.

05-May-17
All my rain sensitive stuff is in waterproof stuff sacks or ziplock bags. I will bring one large contractor bag for various needs like....Cutting meat on, sitting on wet ground, putting my backpack inside it overnight or during heavy rains, and could be used as an emergency poncho.

05-May-17
I use one. Didn't cost much. Bought it at amazon. Very handy. I use it on my big pack that I use to pack in with. I don't hunt with the big pack on.

Like the others, I also use dry bags on some things inside the pack. But its nice to be able to throw it on if its going to rain,especially overnight. I usually don't have my bag under my vestibule.

05-May-17
When it comes to something as important as keeping my weeks worth of stuff dry I go the condom AND birth control route - double safety. Back pack rain cover and waterproof bags inside.

05-May-17
Kifaru makes rain covers for their packs, and I'd never be up the mountain without one. Without a cover the pack soaks up rain like a sponge.

05-May-17
I have a Kirafu Siwash and bought the rain cover. I now use it all of the time.

05-May-17
Not here. I carry a silnylon bag inside my pack full of spare clothes like extra pair socks and puffy. If it rains hard enough my electronics can go in there or just in my rain jacket pockets. These are items like GPS, phone, and maybe Inreach. Speaking of rain. Last year we had a few days full of rain and my gloves would get soaked. This year going to try a pair of black nitrile lab gloves. They have a slight texture and you can buy a box of 100 for like $14. Same as I use for butchering.

05-May-17
Yep, I take one when rain is anticipated. In a pinch you can sit out a thunderstorm and use it like an umbrella.

05-May-17
Another good use is hunting in snow. WHen you swap clothes you can use it to stand on and keep your feet dry.

14-May-17
I have the tensing 2220 and it has a rain cover. Its a great pack.

16-May-17
Yes. Sitka Large raincover.

16-May-17

iceman's embedded Photo
iceman's embedded Photo
These work good. You can get them at Massey's.

• Sitka Gear