APauls 08-May-17
Scooby-doo 08-May-17
Two Feathers 08-May-17
arlone 09-May-17
Tracker 05-Jun-17
05-May-17
Is that "Tree Hunter"?

05-May-17
Buy 3 LW sticks and carry a couple screw ins and buy a Chippewa Wedge-Loc stand. They make make several models and they are very easy yo hang. Do a search on here, plenty of threads on them. Scooby

05-May-17
3 LW sticks and a LW stand is my favourite way to get in a tree. I also carry 1 screw in for hanging my bow or other random application. My pack carries these items very well and they strap in quickly.

I find most bush has a certain level where the advantages of a stand are best. For me here in MB that's using three LW steps. Above or below and there is generally more brush in the way. 4 sticks it seems like I'm into the top canopy, and 2 sticks feels too low and that you haven't always cleared the low willow/hazel brush, or your angles shooting down into them aren't good enough to have openings to thread an arrow through. So it's 3 sticks 95% of the time for me.

05-May-17
Curious on what you did to deaden the LW sticks?? I use 4 LW sticks - no evergreens here - and an original LW

05-May-17
I have the LW assault with three muddy sticks that use the rope instead of a strap. I climb like a monkey using a loop of rope hanging from the bottom of each stick so I can have my sticks about five feet apart. I only climb as high as I need to letting the set up dictate how high I need to be.

I use a rock climbing harness and rope with a Prusik knot on each end. One to go around the tree and one attached to my harness. This set up let's me slide it up the tree and keep it adjusted so I can set back into it to free up both hands to work quietly.

08-May-17
DIY Sportsman has a lot of good tips at his YouTube site.

Here's a URL to one of his videos on making a strap extension for Lone Wolf sticks to get higher with fewer sticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5buumTY_oc&t=5s

Here's a URL to DIY Sportsman converting LW straps to ropes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8Yz9wMno4

And here's another YouTube video showing how to make and extension out of rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWdHpizAE9I

I thought about making a similar extension out of rope and just sliding a piece of garden hose over the rope to make the stirrup.

I also use camo tape on my lone wolf sticks to quiet them and I've seen YouTube videos of guys that take the LW sticks apart and stretch a bicycle inner tube over them to silence them. I'm sure it works but I don't think I would like the rubber smell.

08-May-17
I have 4 LW sticks and there's no way I can get to 25 feet.

08-May-17
You might be able to if you start using the strap extensions hanging from the bottom of your sticks.

08-May-17
Yeah, I suppose, but I'm not that desperate to get higher than what 4 will get me. I'm usually in that 17-18 foot range which sometimes feels too high for me. LOL. I killed deer regularly when I only had 3 sticks so I don't feel the need to get to nosebleed height.

08-May-17
I feel like I'm pretty nimble but I feel like that double extension a guy could easily have a little accidental swingaroo.

08-May-17
Young guy, yup 52 years young and I will be like my Dad and climb til I am 80 at least. Scooby

08-May-17
Hunting in the UP I would be concerned about stand noise - squeaks when the temps get cold. I have yet to have a stand noise problem with the cast aluminum stands (lone wolf) in cold temps.

09-May-17
I use both screw in steps and cheap 4 section ladders to get up the tree. The stand I use almost 100% is one of my Chippewa Wedge-Locs. My two are the standard size. I don't know if they make them any more, but I do have two 6 foot sections of Wedge-Loc ladders. None of this is for back packing-atleast for me. Use a deer cart to haul down the trails.

05-Jun-17
You guys just need t tag out earlier in the UP before it gets cold.

• Sitka Gear