nvgoat 07-May-17
stealthycat 07-May-17
willliamtell 07-May-17
huntingbob 08-May-17
Fuzzy 08-May-17
stealthycat 08-May-17
05-May-17

Big Fin's embedded Photo
Life's tough. Even tougher when you're stupid!
Big Fin's embedded Photo
Life's tough. Even tougher when you're stupid!

Big Fin's Link
Some small excerpts that are part of our daily life producing the Fresh Tracks TV show and the Randy Newberg, Hunter YouTube channel. Kind of funny now, but it sure wasn't funny for the two days of work invested to extract him.

These clips never make TV, due to time constraints, but I put this one out there to show what many of you know very well; that public land elk hunting is not always easy. This was one of those times when I wondered aloud, with plenty of colorful words, "Randy, what the *^# were you thinking?"

I've never been known for intelligence and this Colorado elk YouTube segment is convicting evidence. But, I have found that determination, combined with the mindset of "This is going to be a pain in the ...," are pretty good equalizers for my below average talent and IQ. I often say that consistent success on public land elk goes to those who have the mental expectation that there are times it will not be "fun."

Over the two days of packing this bull out we had some groups come by as we were dropping loads at the trail head. When they asked if we had seen any elk, I pointed out plenty of elk, mostly in canyons similar to this. They demonstrated their superior intelligence by declining the opportunity to fill their tags in similar areas.

Thanks for watching. Video at the link.

05-May-17
"We' its way more fun by yourself ;)

05-May-17
After you feel better, the satisfaction is immense!

05-May-17
Randy, pain is temporary, memories last a lifetime. Or something like that! Not bad for an accountant. Congrats.

05-May-17
There was a time I worried about getting an elk out AFTER the fact. Those times are now In my rearview mirror! ;-)

05-May-17
One of the finest meals in my life was a couple SnackPack puddings and a MountainDew at the truck after a nasty pack out.

Plod (verb)- To walk doggedly or slowly with heavy steps.

05-May-17

05-May-17
Amazing how much better and ice cold Gatorade tastes at the truck after one of those packs!

05-May-17
Most of us have never learned to consider the consequences...

Always seems like its a good idea at the time ;^)

05-May-17
I've yet to find a place I wouldn't shoot an elk! There wouldn't have been elk down there if everybody had the balls to go after em!

05-May-17
Otcwill, X2!

ElkNut1

05-May-17
good stuff

05-May-17
Great job and great bull too. No better feeling than getting a pack job like this finished. The climb is brutal, but I think oak brush like that can be even more aggravating. The pain goes away, but the memories will be with you forever. A great representation of the real thing for TV. Congrats and thanks for putting this out there for people to see.

05-May-17
2 loaves of bread and eat it in place, no packing.

Terry

05-May-17
when I elk hunt, I always bring first quality scotch or bourbon, and a very good "heat it up meal" like a stew or chili. After you pack out an elk from a hole, a good meal and great drink is the cherry on top.

05-May-17
It's a labor of love.

06-May-17
This reminds me of a time I was blood-trailing a bull I shot in a similar canyon on a solo hunt. I waited 45" before getting on his trail, and when it kept going after a 1/4 mile I pondered whether to push him, or to let him bed. For various reasons I decided to push, and I will admit that (just one) of the reasons was because he was moving TOWARD my truck. (Yes, I recovered him. Yes, he saved me a 1/2 mile of packing, each way.)

06-May-17
I have made a few decisions over the years 'after the kill' and man-o-man, do I think it through before hand now!! haha

Good luck, Robb

06-May-17
#embracethesuck

:-)

06-May-17
Shoot em where ever you can. Life is short and sweet. Good luck all! C

06-May-17
I've said many times that good elk hunters are 'good suffers' -- Looks like Randy fits right in there! (grin)

ElkNut1

07-May-17
It's always "screw it.... It's not gonna happen, if I do kill him I'll figure it out later....."

whod'a thunk.... later happened.....

A week or ten later..... you'd go do the same stupid thing..... with us it's elk. I know folks who do it with wives......

07-May-17
OUCH!

07-May-17
My roommates dad said it best 20 years ago. "Shoot him, knock him down, figure the rest out later"

The brutal recoveries are part of the lifetime memories.

Nice bull Randy.

07-May-17
I would have shot him. I've hunted the oak brush in Utah and it can be brutal. Hope he was a good tasting bull.

07-May-17
I am with you guys. That is a great bull. You go shoot it and then suffer getting it out. The memories will be amazing.

07-May-17
hell yes - THAT is elk hunting right there!!

07-May-17
3/8 of a mile, 600 feet - I've done that! Right about the steepest you can consider off trail with a 70+ lb pack - otherwise you just slide back. Where Randy had the brush bounce him back - oh yeah what fun! That's a pretty good argument for sherpas, er buds with strong legs. Of course, then you end up sherpa-ing their loads, in CO's oh-so-short seasons. Question, did you guys consider really trying to scout a decent route through the brush on the way back down (answer - that was the 'decent'est route) and marking it with tape? Maybe even taking loppers to assist with each successive uphill trip? Just asking.

08-May-17
I watched it as I do with all of your videos. That oak brush and aspens when you are in a spot where they grow small and thick can be hell! As always you make some of the best. YouTube them all the time!

08-May-17
worth all the toil. Elk is some great eating, and we are only here a little while. Have to get out and DO stuff!

08-May-17
really nice 6x7 bull BTW - congrats

• Sitka Gear