TD 06-May-17
oldgoat 06-May-17
cnelk 06-May-17
Charlie Rehor 06-May-17
hillbender 06-May-17
LKH 06-May-17
Ermine 06-May-17
05-May-17
Looking at the Montana cow decoys but I notice they are a couple pounds plus. Are they worth the extra weight? My pack is already too heavy but I reckon I will order one.

05-May-17
I don't use the stakes which weigh as much or more than the decoy. I just put a couple loops of para cord on the top at each end and hang it in a tree or brush. Much quicker than stakes too.

05-May-17
Ten four -good point about the stake wt. Few times I have been around one we were just flashing it anyway w/o staking it

06-May-17
I made my girlfriend hold it

06-May-17
Packing out an elk is much heavier...... heheheheh....

06-May-17
The Eichler model comes with bungees with clips on the end alligator clip on one end to hook too the head and I think it's called a duckbill clip on the other to clip onto the hoop. I'm made up some to use with my other models of Montana decoys.

06-May-17
Its not the weight, even without the stakes, it can be a real PITA sometimes.

Set it up, elk bugles off in the distance, go get the decoy, go chase elk. Couldnt get elk, Set it up, elk bugles off in the distance, go get the decoy, go chase elk, Couldnt get elk, Set it up, elk bugles off in the distance, go get the decoy, go chase elk, Couldnt get elk, Set it up, elk bugles off in the distance, go get the decoy, go chase elk, Couldnt get elk, Set it up, elk bugles off in the distance, go get the decoy, go chase elk, Couldnt get elk, Set it up, elk bugles off in the distance, go get the decoy, go chase elk, Couldnt get elk, Set it up, elk bugles off in the distance, go get the decoy, go chase elk......

06-May-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Shooting is easy with no effect on arrow flight!
Shooting is easy with no effect on arrow flight!
Here's an option that weighs about 10 OZ. So much easier to run and gun with and a Bowsite Sponsor. Ultimate Predator Gear. Have a great hunt!

06-May-17
Ive had alot of success without one and point taken CNElk. I think their use is similar to a turkey decoy in that some folks use them every set up some dont use them at all and some use them situationally dependent. I wouldnt pack it all the time nor use it every set up but I have seen the value of them. Ill order one and leave the sticks back at camp when I spike out here and there for a day or so

06-May-17
I carry one when I guide which isn't too often any more. Two years ago a client and I were laying down to take a nap about mid-day. We were in a timbered draw and he decided he wanted to try and bugle. He gave it a shot and we were laid back, eyes closed and about asleep when we heard a crack very close.

I was on the elk side and looked up to see a bull about 25 yards. I reached in my pack and got the cow decoy, took the rubber band off and let it flip open. I held it up and the bull was absolutely locked on to it as I moved to partly cover the hunter.

He managed to get up, get an arrow on and make one of the shots that earned him my nickname of "lumberjack".

I've also held it up and walked in the open across slopes while in view of elk at 3-400 yards without spooking them. No stakes for me.

06-May-17
Heads up decoy

• Sitka Gear