Fuzzy 12-May-17
AZBUGLER 12-May-17
Brotsky 12-May-17
JLS 12-May-17
deerslayer 12-May-17
stealthycat 12-May-17
09-May-17

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Thought maybe this rainbow we saw on the way in was good luck!
Thought maybe this rainbow we saw on the way in was good luck!
Well, I didn't plan on posting last years hunt but what the hell. I think most of us are always up for a good old fashioned hunt'n story so here goes.

I started the month of September off not sure how or when I'd get time to hunt. My schedule with work was super busy and not to mention I have quite a large family so It's tough finding a way to coordinate everything with my wife where I feel like she's all taken care of and equipped to handle all the duties that come along with suddenly being a "single mother" for any extended amount of time. So I told myself I would just take anytime I could get which is always better than nothing. I took my son Isaiah along with me on my 2014 elk hunt and he is now hooked to say the least. Of course his two brothers heard how much of a good time we had that year so now they really wanted to tag along as well and see what all the fuss was about.

Now, taking 3 boys (age9, 11, and 14) along on an elk hunt when your the only adult can quickly become a job in itself but I was pleasantly surprised to see how helpful and eager they were to get going on this trip. It was still early in the season and I only had the weekend to take them but we would make the best of it.

09-May-17
So, up the mountain we headed for a couple days of boys night out. Isaiah knew what to expect but the two other boys were full of a million questions which can't always be answered any other way that just getting out there and experiencing it for yourself.

09-May-17

Isaiah, Julian and Jayden
Isaiah, Julian and Jayden

09-May-17
We pulled into camp with just enough light to setup camp, gather some fire wood and get some dinner going before turning in early.

There wasn't much sleep that night with 3 young minds going a zillion miles per hour wondering about what the next day would bring. That first day was spent looking for elk sign, exploring new area and teaching them as much as I could about why we did things the way we do them. Wind, wallows, rubs etc... were all hot topics that afternoon.

Finally after spending most of the day hiking and giving a little elk 101, I had something to show them that was good. Some fairly fresh tracks with some same-day elk turds. That definitely gave them some hope as I'd explained to them at the beginning of the trip that this was a new area for me and we were going in blind with nothing more than some cyber scouting under my belt for this area. Now I'm not sure about you guys but I LIVE for grossing out kids as much as I can and this was a great opportunity. I picked up one of the elk turds and pretended to taste a bit of it to see exactly how "fresh" it really was. They all gave me the yuck face as I told them that all great hunters had to have this skill if they ever planned on killing an elk of their own one day. After about 5 minutes of keeping a stone cold straight face I told em I was just yanking the ole chain a little. They were all relieved! ;-)

09-May-17
By this time it was roughly 20 minutes before sunset so I told them we'd be back in the morning with a good place to start. There was definitely some sign through there which was better than nothing. So we started the hour long hike back to camp for some grub and hopefully sleep. We heard a few faint bugles coming from that valley on our way out which was definitely music to my ears and a little surprising because we were in a Colorado otc unit the first week of Sept. and it was fairly warm yet for that to be happening.

09-May-17

Just a few photos
Just a few photos

09-May-17
Sorry guys, won't let me rotate photos from my phone, More to come...

09-May-17
Thanks Joe, looking forward to the adventure almost as much as the boys! Way to go dad!

09-May-17
Good lookin' crew ya have there Joe!

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

09-May-17
I'm excited to read this man!

09-May-17
Kids hunting elk.....TOO COOL! Hats off to you man! You had your own herd. LOL

09-May-17
This is awesome Joe! That's what it's all about. Looking forward to following along!

09-May-17
Good for you! That's some memories being made right there for sure.

09-May-17
Keep it coming, Joe! Already a "successful" hunt.

09-May-17
I'm at work right now guys but will continue as soon as I'm off. Unfortunately they frown upon writing bowsite photo essays while on the clock.

09-May-17
Looking forward to it Joe...I still remember my Dad pulling the "deer turd" scam on me when I was very young...classic!

09-May-17
well come on.... Don't leave us hanging, work can wait... This is important!

:)

09-May-17
Sweet man! Can't wait to read the rest! You're a brave man taking not one but three munchkins along on an elk hunt. Good on ya.

09-May-17
This is great - the first "turd taste" for my son was when I took some chocolate covered raisins and made sure I got a good smattering of chocolate on my front teeth for him to see. I left him be grossed out for about 30 minutes or so before I told him.

I agree with Scar, work can wait.

09-May-17
Im hooked into this thread. Already a success in my eyes though. Congrats on getting the little ones out

09-May-17
OK back to the story. We made it back to camp about 20 minutes after dark which was a little scary for the boys Who are not used to walking through the wilderness in the pitch black. I tried to flip it around and show them how beautiful it was at night in the high country with all the stars and how visible the milky way is. I had a good time telling them how I was sure Bigfoot lived there in that exact forest. Hehe.

After a campfire and dinner we hit the sack and woke up early the next morning. We went straight back to the spot where we found sign the day before. Every Elk hunter knows what I'm talking about when I say we hit the wall of elk smell. Even the boys looked at me and asked "ewww what's that smell?" LOL

09-May-17
I explained to them that just like elk can smell us we can usually smell them before we ever see them. By this time it was about 7:30am so we decided to set up and give a few soft cow calls. I explained to them they had to be super quiet because this early in the season a lot of the bulls might come in silently to cow calls especially in OTC areas. After a few different setups and a lot of hiking with no response we were hungry and I was ready for a mid day nap. They thought I was crazy and asked how I could sleep in the middle of the woods! I told them just wait til you get old. You'll love naps almost anywhere! Ha

09-May-17
Nothing like the smell of elk in the morning.

09-May-17
An incredible job of Parenting to say the least! Great job Joe! You have clearly put the needs of your family, first and foremost!!!

You are a good man!

Keep this story rolling!!

Mark

09-May-17
After regrouping and re-energizing we decided to keep moving and explore a different area we hadn't previously planned on going. The elk had been totally silent but the signs said they were there. I kept telling the boys to just be patient! LOL we know how easy that is for young men.

09-May-17
Great story and props for gettin yours boys in the outdoors. My boys remember every trip we took.. I miss those days..

09-May-17

We headed for our destination in the next drainage over. Surprisingly we made really good time and got in there about 3 PM. It was still really hot so I got excited to find a wallow that seemed to be getting used fairly frequently.

10-May-17
We sat the wallow for about 2 hours before an afternoon thunderstorm decided to roll through and man did it feel good to cool off. I figured the elk would feel the same and hopefully get moving a little earlier than usual. It was now about 5pm and our hunt was almost coming to an end.

10-May-17

A little rain never hurts
A little rain never hurts

10-May-17

Still smiling!
Still smiling!

10-May-17
With only about 2 hours left of daylight I decided to pull out all the stops and let a rip on the old thunder bugle. I was hesitant as the elk had been rather silent and didn't want to break suit but what the hell, you only live once right! So I let a rip and right away got a response. Maybe 200 yards away up on the edge of the clearing. I quickly told the boys to get into battle formation because it was on! I sent Isaiah back behind me about 30 yards with the cow call so he could still see me. We had practiced a signal for "hit the cow call" now it was time to put it in action. (He Still doesn't know how to bugle but is in training).

10-May-17

Kinda Elky lookin
Kinda Elky lookin

10-May-17
Getting good!

10-May-17
I gave the signal for him to hit the cow call and I ripped another bugle shortly after. The bull answered and I could tell he was closing the distance. The look on all the boys faces was totally classic as this interaction took place. Just as good as Christmas morning if not better! Lol. Kinda funny but Julian is the oldest and the biggest scaredy cat of the 3 boys. Had a look on his face like he might've crapped himself! Ha. I love this stuff!

Just like clockwork the bull made it to about 60 yards and seemed like he wanted to hang up. He was off to the side of the clearing in the timber so I still couldn't get a good look at him but I was sure he was legal from the glimpse I got of him. I told the boys to stay put and had Isaiah hit the cow call again as I tried to close the distance for a shot. I got to within about 40 yards and drew my bow. His attention was on the direction of the cow call but he seemed leery. I needed him to take another 2 or 3 steps and he was mine!

10-May-17
Ahhhhhhhhrrrgh! I need to go to bed and need to know what happens next!

10-May-17
Hey Lungshot regardless of the outcome I gotta hand it to you for taking out your 3 boys on an elk hunt.....outstanding! Memories that will last their lifetime well done!

10-May-17
Good stuff bud! How cool is that you have the kids dialed in to call at precise times! Now that's team work sir! That's what I call doing your practice & homework for the hunt, kudos to you & those young men!

ElkNut1

10-May-17
Good for you! This is fatherhood! Good Luck. C

10-May-17
Paul, I don't know if the word precise describes it or not. LOL. They are definitely still learning as this was Isaiah's first time playing an active role in a set up with a live elk on the scene. Nonetheless, it was super fun for me seeing them scramble like chickens with a fox in the pen LOL. I actually thought about you on our way home and want to begin teaching them the triangle strategy that you talk about. I've always been a solo archery hunter as everyone else in my family lives in Utah and hunts either the muzzle loader or rifle season's. I guess now I have a big enough team to try some different strategies. :-)

10-May-17
Lol at Lou! Sorry buddy, I got tired last night had to go to bed. Had an early morning at work today. More to come this evening.

10-May-17
Dang it LS... I thought we covered this work thing yesterday!!!

10-May-17
Joe, I think you 3 would make a great triangle trio! I bet the boys were rustling the brush & all as well as the cow calling! (grin) Good Stuff!

ElkNut1

10-May-17
Yeah, the 'work' excuse isn't cutting it with us, Joe. you need to call in sick for the afternoon and get on with the important stuff1

10-May-17
I have said it so many times but anyone who takes kids hunting with them are awesome!

Now get back to the story! I am working but am taking time out to check-in to see if you have finished! Haha.

10-May-17
So there I am bow drawn waiting for this bull to take another few steps into my shooting lane. At this point I'm all but sure this is going to happen and I'm totally stoked the boys are there for it all. Of course my full attention was on the bull and I honestly didn't see or hear any other elk with him on his way in. So it took me totally off guard when another elk from maybe 15/20 yards off to the side of this guy Let out the dreaded emergency bark that gives elk hunters nightmares. As fast as he came he was gone! Turned back and over the hill to the next drainage! I never even saw this other elk, only heard the crashes as they both took off through the timber. It was a high tide of disappointment and frustration as I walked back to where the boys were at. They were anxiously awaiting an answer as to what had just happened. I explained I just didn't have a shot and we got busted, plain and simple. They were so excited about just having the encounter that it didn't even matter to them at that point. Having a bugling bull elk that close to you changes a man! Lol. Especially when it's the first time. (2nd for Isaiah)

10-May-17

Sun setting on an awesome day
Sun setting on an awesome day
The long walk back to camp was full of "man that was cool" and "can we stay for another day?" Type of conversations. I was wishing just as much as them or maybe even more that we had more time but it just wasn't doable this time. I was just thankful that we had that one close encounter because that made the trip worth it to them. It's safe to say they are anxious about this season and definitely want to start coming on more hunts. The season was over for the boys but there was still almost 3 weeks left of elk season and I would be back at some point.

10-May-17
That had to be so awesome with your boys. I could just imagine their faces!

10-May-17

Fast forward a couple weeks to September 21. I finally had a couple more days to sneak away and try my luck this time solo. I'd only have 2 full days to hunt and was returning to an area I was familiar with. My plan was to just keep moving until I found elk. I knew they'd be herded up by now so I planned to be a little more vocal with my calling.

10-May-17
I setup camp by 7pm and in the sack by 9:00. I was up before the sun and In my spot by 6:30am. The only problem was that all the sign was about 2 weeks old and the forest was completely silent. I decided to waste no time and push on.

11-May-17

Boogie man cave
Boogie man cave
Not sure what lives in this hole but I decided against sticking my head in to find out.

11-May-17
I continued my quest for fresh sign and decided to hit a little bit higher elevation. Fast forward a few hours and it was nearing 5pm. I had made it to tho top of a canyon that I wanted to check out and had accessed it from the "back way" so to speak. I stepped into the timber and let out a bugle. Yes! An answer right back and it definitely wasn't another hunter. With such short time frame I decided not to play the cat and mouse game at all and be super aggressive. I literally took off running down the hill towards the bugle. Breaking branches and causing a ruckus. After about 50-60 yard dash I stopped quick to let out a bugle and again he answered me but was moving to the bottom away from me. I continued my sprint downward hopping logs and navigating the terrain the best I could. I figured he had cows and was trying to avoid a confrontation but he wasn't getting away that easy!

11-May-17
In the midst of this commotion and full on sprint I hopped over a downed log and as soon as I hit the ground I heard a god awful hissing right at my feet. I jumped back and realized that in jumping over this log I almost came down right on this porcupine! Literally about 6 inches from him.

11-May-17

If you look close he's under this log.
If you look close he's under this log.

11-May-17
After a quick photo I regrouped myself and continued the chase. I was now to the bottom and beginning to ascend the other side of the valley. By now the bull was going crazy and I was closing the gap. I could see legs through the timber and the smell of elk was thick. I paused for a minute to evaluate the situation. He was fully on guard but definitely getting angry. I wanted him so badly to break away from the herd but he just wouldn't. As I was sitting there exploring my options I saw movement to my left about 50 yards and closing! A satellite bull had heard all the commotion and was coming in silent to see what the hell was going on. I was caught totally off guard and only had a small sapling for cover. He was a decent 5 which for my situation and short time was a winner in my book! He came to what I thought was 35/37 yards and stood broadside. The arrow was on it's way!

11-May-17

Just missed!
Just missed!
Shit!! The shot was low missing the bull by just an inch or so! The arrow stuck in the log to his off side. He jumped straight up and looked at the log confused as to what just happened. He stood there long enough to let me grab another arrow and knock it. I now knew I had misjudged the distance and he was actually at a little more that 40. He turned slowly to walk away from the log and was angling towards me now. He turned up hill and was definitely at 30 yards now. I drew again and stopped him with a chirp! The second arrow was on its way! The shot felt good and I was more than confident he was a dead bull until... I saw the arrow deflect off a small branch high and right! CRACK! The arrow hit him high in the shoulder and I knew It was a scapula hit! $on of a b!£ch!! I could see the arrow sticking out as he took off and penetration seemed shallow but I wasn't sure how shallow!

11-May-17
I decided to give it about an hour before moving forward just in case by some miracle I hit vitals.

11-May-17

I had high hopes after finding first blood about 30 yards from the point of impact! But the blood was really dark and didn't look like lung blood.

11-May-17
At this point I had a choice to make. I could feel some weather coming in and darkness was just around the corner. It was either pull out and come back in the morning and chance the snow and or rain moving in or continue my search in the dark. What would you guys have done?

11-May-17
I decided to get out the headlamp and start looking. I knew that once the rain and snow rolled in I would have nothing to go off of besides a grid search.

11-May-17

11-May-17

11-May-17

11-May-17
By now the blood trail had started to thin out drastically. I made the decision to head back to camp get a few hours rest and come back in the morning. At this point I was sure the Brodhead had buried itself in the scapula and didn't make it through. Which would most likely result in a non-lethal shot.

11-May-17

So I was back at it early the next morning at the point where I found last blood. And that was literally the last blood that I found. The rain moved in at about 9 AM that morning and got worse from there turning to snow which completely covered any chance of picking up blood again. I spent the rest of that day doing a grid search on that mountain hoping to find him bedded down or at least Kick him up and get a glimpse of him to verify he was not mortally wounded.

11-May-17

11-May-17

Getting heavier
Getting heavier

11-May-17

The look of total disappointment!
The look of total disappointment!

11-May-17

Unfortunately this story ends with a photo of a campfire instead of an elk. But nonetheless it was fun and I learned a lot on this short trip. It is the first time I had ever wounded an animal and not recovered him. It definitely leaves a mark and made me sick to my stomach knowing I didn't find him but it definitely wasn't for lack of effort. I gave it all I had and was confident finishing the day knowing that.

11-May-17

Just a few more photos from the trip.

11-May-17

I Love rubs
I Love rubs

11-May-17

The boys taking a break
The boys taking a break

11-May-17
great story and great to see you spending time with your family in the outdoors!

God Bless,

Scar.

11-May-17

Soggy day!
Soggy day!

11-May-17
Hold your head high dude! That was a great year & hunt, best of all you built a lifetime of memories with your boys. Doesn't get much better than that sir!

ElkNut1

11-May-17
Great story! Congrats on having your priorities straight. Mike

11-May-17
It's strange, when viewing this thread from my phone a lot of the photos are sideways. But when viewing from my work PC they are all straight. Is it the same for you guys?

11-May-17
What a journey for you and your boys!!!

My hats off to you for taking them on the real deal....what a "real life" education!!!

An annual father/son trip?

Mark

11-May-17
Yessir Mark! I think it's in the category of "annual" Lord willling. Today is actually Isaiahs birthday and he doesn't know it yet but he's got a new Diamond Infinite Edge Pro in a box under my bed right now! Both Isaiah and Jayden had their bows stolen a couple of months ago when we had a break in at our house. Now we just need to get him pulling a minimum of 35lbs and he can actually hunt this year with me. Julian has a bow too and is asking to go again as well! I think this's trip truly sparked an interest for them to get more involved.

11-May-17
Not sure why my post showed up blank?

Anyway, good stuff Joe! Sorry about the outcome. Thanks for the story. I can't wait to get my boy out!

11-May-17
Oh man! Sorry about the lost elk, we've all been there. I know you've heard it before but its the truth....you can chalk that hunt up as a win. You got your boys out there and that is no joke. Your turning boys into men, that's what matters. Well done sir and keep it up. Thanks for sharing.

11-May-17
Sorry about the lost elk but you made some great memories anyway congrats sir! Get em next year!

11-May-17
It happens. But, you were very successful in the most important thing. And, that's being a dad that involves hist kids in his outdoor hobbies. God Bless

11-May-17
Thanks for taking the time to post this story. It reminded me of some of my earliest hunts with my son. I enjoy these stories more this time of year than in the fall. Not as much as another mechanical vs. fixed debate, but not bad. Anyone else out there holding out with a good story?

12-May-17
Thanks for the "real" hunting story. I have a feeling your boys will turn out to be dedicated, ethical and honest hunters. Congratulations!

12-May-17
This is why a medium like the Bowsite is so great for honest stories. A good friend who is a staff writer for one of the major print and online publications pitched a story about a difficult, challenging and rewarding hunt that ended like most do, without a punched tag. The proposal was turned down because it didn't end with a dead animal. The senior gatekeepers felt that nobody wants to read a story without a trophy kill. I think they are missing something.

Stories like yours are the real deal - family, no guide, no high-dollar hunt, emotional highs and lows.

Like, well, most of the hunts done by regular DIY guys.

12-May-17
Jaq, X2!

ElkNut1

12-May-17
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys and thank you for reading my story. I definitely contemplated posting a story this long without a kill shot at the end. But in my mind I feel like there is so much more to hunting and to these stories than just a dead animal at the end of the thread. Yes, lots of memories were made and we had a great time doing it. Weather I'm with my boys or solo, I'm always taking it all in and enjoying myself and the experience. Hunting is something that is ingrained in my DNA and I definitely feel like it's important to pass that on to our younger generation's. Of course every hunters goal is to put down the animal they persue but when that doesn't happen learn from it and don't let it discourage you from getting back out there. I think so many people give up on things that don't come "easy" in this era of instant gratification.

You're right Lou, they are definitely "missing something" worth while.

12-May-17

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
rotated the one for ya, great pics, love these threads!

12-May-17

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
Great story! Thanks for sharing. Reminds me a lot of hunting with my kids. I have seven and still six at home so I know what your talking about leaving the house for long periods of time. It gets "challenging".

12-May-17
Great story Joe! Some of the best stories on Bowsite end without a kill, I sure know most of mine don't! Ha! Spending time in the mountains with your family and reflecting on all the blessings in your life is the real trophy for me. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your trips with the boys this fall. Best of luck to you guys!

12-May-17
Great story, thank you for sharing. Kudos to you for taking your boys. They will remember that forever. You just can't beat time spent hunting with your kids.

I know your disappointment in losing the elk. I lost one last fall too. Shit happens, it's a tough pill to swallow, but in the end you either learn from it and become better for/because of it or find another hobby.

Good luck this fall.

12-May-17
Great story. They sure don't always end the way we hope, but that's legit hunting right there. Thanks for being willing to post it!

12-May-17
right more to try and find him IMO

great story except the shot/hit and great photo's

• Sitka Gear