Inshart 14-May-17
Russell 15-May-17
deerslayer 15-May-17
deerslayerjb 15-May-17
JohnB 15-May-17
SteveB 16-May-17
ELKMAN 18-May-17
12-May-17
Well first off I have to say that I’m definitely not a “word smith” like most of the story tellers on here so please bear with my spelling, grammar and lack of colorful descriptives.

We’ve (4 of us) been lucky to draw Wyoming every other year, that’s where this adventure, or maybe I should say misadventure, takes place. We always go out on the opening and hunt for 8 to 10 days.

Oh, and I need to point out that I shoot my bow all summer and mostly practice at 60 yards, which you would think would make a 20 yard shot a slam dunk. Ha, yeah right. Don’t think I mentioned yet that when I get an elk in front of my pins, I completely go to Jell-O, full on elk fever, yup, shaking, hyperventilating, blurred vision, the whole enchilada. Not all the time, if all the sudden they appear - not much of a problem, but when I have time to get worked up, forget it.

Ok that takes care of the preliminaries.

12-May-17
So here it is about an hour after day light and I’ve a bull bugling above me and another one bugling below me, I’ve seen cows going back and forth above me at about 80 yards. Oh my God, what a morning so far.

I cow called a couple times and here comes the bull from above me. I can hear him growling with a chuckle. If he continues on his path it “should??” put him at about 18 yards. I raised my bow and get ready to draw. “STAY CALM DAMN IT, STAY CALM AND PICK A SPOT” I don’t think I said it out loud but I definitely remember saying it.

OH SHIT, there he is, 40 yards and closing, directly at me, and he’s huge. He’s that kind of huge that he has to keep moving his head from side to side to get between the trees. At about 25 yards he’s tilting his head back and flaring his nostrils.

12-May-17
His nose was jet black, with his nostrils flaring, his eyes look mean, black in the center, ringed by white. He opened his mouth as if to scream at me. I can’t honestly say if he bugled or not, if he did I didn’t hear it LOL. I could see the white teeth and even see down his throat, the fleshy color and his tongue sticking partially out. All of this observation took maybe a second or two. Crap, I’m getting a little bit blurry eyed, “BLINK, BLINK” calm down and draw.

Now he’s at 20 yards and I’m at full draw, 20 yard pin, quartering hard at me, no shot. Settle down damn it, the pin is floating all over the place. I take a deep breath and all of the sudden I’m calm, the pin is locked on rock solid. “I’M GONNA KILL THIS BULL”. I’ve been holding for a long time, guessing 2 minutes, at least.

12-May-17
18 yards, still quarter too and no shot. He’s still in some thick brush. I need him to take another 2 steps. I’m thinking he will turn to his right, as that’s kind of the direction where the other bull was bugling from, below and behind me.

Sure enough as he turns to his right, 20 yard pin locked on his heart, damn the pins are getting blurry and here comes the shakes. He’s right there, I’m right there. I don’t even remember pulling the trigger, but the arrow was gone and the bull jumped and ran about 10 yards. I cow called 3 or 4 times as I pulled another arrow, knocked, pulled to my anchor point, he’s just standing there but it’s so thick I can only see his outline. I’m shaking, but not so bad that I cant push another blade through him. I can see that he’s confused as to what just happened, he’s looking down in the direction of the other bull, then over in my direction. When he turned his head to look up and away from me his antlers get caught in the brush and, it’s almost as if he gets upset and jerks his head to loosen his antlers. CRAP, I’ve got to get another arrow through him. There’s an opening about the size of a basket ball, I just need 2 or 3 steps. His body is moving but his feet aren’t, “TIP OVER, TIP OVER.”

12-May-17
Actually I’ve already gotten ahead of myself and forgot some of the exciting early morning tidbits.

It took me about 45 minutes of pitch dark walking along the ridge, then down into the creek bottom and up the other side about 50 yards. I took off my sweaty clothes and put on a dry T-shirt, couple long sleeve shirts and a light jacket. Gees, sure wish I would have brought my heavier jacket, but my pack was already heavy enough as I pack for all day hunts, 3 legged stool, food, water, rain gear, snickers bars, etc.. always got to have my snickers.

After getting my stool set up, bow hanger screwed into the tree, arrow knocked and hung on the hanger, and my pack stowed, it was just turning light. I began ranging trees, first to my left, up slope in front to the left then up slope to the right, then off to my right ….. CRAP big cow elk at 15 yards staring right at me.

12-May-17
I slowly lowered my range finder with my left hand and reached to my right and picked my bow off the hanger. OH, ABSOLUTELY I WILL TAKE A COW!

Well she didn’t like what she was seeing and decided to simply turn and walk away up hill, 4 steps and she was in the thick stuff. I gave a few cow / calf calls but she wasn’t hav’n any of it and walked off. I had the down thermals so I know she didn’t smell me and she didn’t bark, ha, things are just fine.

That was cool, 10 minutes into my hunt and already a close encounter.

Held onto my bow and took a few more ranges, even had to re-range where I had already ranged as I completely forgot what they were.

Ok, shaking a bit, and smiling from ear to ear, life is good. An owl hooted, another answered and they went back and forth a few times. I really enjoy when the woods begin to waken. A timber tiger scurries past, red squirrel drops a pine cone with a thud, a small hawk goes blasting by. I’m always amazed at how they can navigate at such a speed and not get their wings ripped off.

12-May-17
A little bit later I hear thud, thud and my heart skips a beat. Stupid squirrel! Thud, thud, thud, “OH GEES, that has a cadence, my heart goes into overdrive, I sloooowwwwwly twist my head to the right looking down the trail where that cow had been standing. Nothing.

Up the hill, tan, how far, how far, 80 yards, maybe?? I’m guessing? One, two, three, four, and more behind them going from right to left, paralleling the ridge. All the sudden I hear a thud right behind me and to the left, slowly turn my head, another thud, stupid red squirrel, as if my heart wasn’t already on overdrive.

I can see glimpses of them as they just walk along and it’s obvious they have no intention of coming my way.

A bull lets out a bugle and I jumped so bad my arrow makes a loud “whack” against the riser, it’s a good thing they weren’t any closer because they for sure would have seen me jump and heard the noise.

12-May-17
Just as I was getting ready to cow call another bull lets loose below and to my left maybe 50 yards below me and 40 or 50 yards down the creek bottom.

The first bull was almost straight up hill from me so I know I have to be quiet so the lower bull wont try to get down wind of me, as it was he was dangerously close to already being at that point. This is perfect, let them go at it and come to me, hope, hope!

This was sooooo cool, the upper bull bugled again only this time he really had some meaning to his scream followed by a deep growling bawl and then chuckles. My dad had an angus bull on the farm that would beller from time to time and this elk kind of sounded like that.

The lower elk bugled, loud scream with some chuckles, upper elk growl, lower elk again.

I have to stop here for a second and say that I have never before had anything like this EVER in the elk woods. I’m totally loosing it, (symptoms mentioned previously) and smiling almost to the point of laughing.

12-May-17
I know some of you have experienced and know what I’m trying to describe???

I’m watching up hill, down hill, up hill, down hill.

Ok, now back to where I left off.

The bull had been standing there for what seamed like a very long time, most likely only 3 or 4 minutes, he takes a step, another step, I see his brisket in my basket ball size opening, (looking though my peep, 20 yard pin shaking, but enough steady to put another arrow in him) another step, shoulder blade, another step, TRIGGER, ker-shlapp, crack, I see the fletching portion of my arrow go fling up in the air.

12-May-17
The bull turns and just plows through the trees, I see branches go flying, a loud whack as his antler hits a tree and his head jerks to the side but doesn’t slow him down. His antler hit that tree so hard that I’m surprised it didn’t break his damn neck. Up the hill at warp speed and out of sight, I hear him running for a ways and then all is silent, and I mean totally silent. No chipmunks, red squirrels, birds, no nothing! He took off so fast it was just amazing but at the same time it was like I was watching him in slow motion as he dug hard to distance me.

I just realized I had been holding my breath and damn near passed out with my first inhale. It was kind of like when your swimming and holding your breath under water and realize you might not quite make it to the surface to get that first breath, ….. that kind of inhale.

I had to sit down, everything was blurry and totally “out of focus”.

12-May-17
As I sat there I started to actually laugh out loud (quietly). Oh my God, this was far and away the most exciting and fun thing I’ve ever experienced. I’m sure if someone had came by right then they would have thought me a totally insane moron.

Look at the time (I’m not sure but I think it was something like 7:45 or so, the sun hadn’t topped out enough to hit me, so I know it was still early). I told myself I would wait 30 minutes. Three hours later it was 7:55, I can’t wait any longer. I stood up and was really shaking, there is no doubt it was the mixture of the elk fever, excitement and adrenaline, together with the cold.

I went to where the bull was standing at my first shot. No blood, no hair, no arrow. I can see where his feet dug into the ground as he jumped, nothing. I looked for a bit then went to where he was standing at my second shot. I expected to see a big puddle of blood, nothing.

12-May-17
This is at that point where you hear hunters talk about going from that high to that gut wrenching, sinking feeling. I am totally baffled, not only should he have fallen right there, but there should be a big ol puddle of blood!

Ok, back to where I shot from. Line up where he was standing when I tripped the trigger the second time. I walked straight through that basket ball size opening, a few more steps and could see where he launched to the side and quick turn up hill blast. I could clearly see where the pine needles and dirt were churned up as he put the muscle into each jump.

I checked the time, it was 8:30, so now 45 minutes since my second shot.

I found a portion of my second arrow, about 12 inches of shaft and the fletching, no blood, hair, clean as a whistle. A few more minutes of looking and found the rest of that arrow, also clean. Obviously I didn’t make it through the opening on my second shot and hit the brush, that was the odd sound and me seeing part of my arrow flip up in the air.

12-May-17
It was pretty steep and following his tracks uphill was fairly easy. I followed them for about 100 yards, not a speck of blood, nothing!

Back to where I shot from, and line up where the bull was standing on my first shot.

I walked a direct line and again found where he took off from. After several minutes of looking I finally found my arrow embedded in a tree just a few feet behind where he had been standing. I somehow shot right over him. I just stood there and tried to figure out how I could have possibly missed him at 18 yards and there was the explanation. About 5 yards from him in direct line with where I was standing was a small twig sticking out of a tree, NO WAY! I looked at it and sure enough a slight knick in it.

The only solace is that I didn't wound him.

12-May-17

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
All the looking around I did, I was quiet and It’s still only about 9:30 or so, nothing smelled me, the elk didn’t bark an alarm, what the hell, I’m staying right here.

Hung up my bow, Ha, its snickers time, everything gets better after a snickers right?

Finished my candy bar and some water. The red squirrel is back. I put out some peanuts for the timber tiger (chipmunk) and enjoy watching him sneak up, grab a nut, run back and eat it. The second time he filled his cheeks with nuts and off he went.

12-May-17

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Checking the thermals, still down hill so I let out a cow call. Looking up hill, then to the right, to the left, HOLY SHIT, right there in front of a tree I had ranged at 25 yards, a cow then a calf walking down hill towards where that bull had bugled.

Cow call, grab my bow all in one motion, the calf stops just perfect but it’s the first day and it’s pretty small, it gets a pass. That area is really thick so I cant see anything until it’s literally in my shooting lane, which is about as wide as a 2 track trail.

OH, here’s another one …. a cow ….. full draw …. cow call …. it stops …. peep sight lined up with 20 yard pin just above the heart, hit the trigger and I watch in horror as I see my arrow fly just under the elk. It heads down hill to join the other 2.

12-May-17
The previous photo is where she was standing when I missed.

12-May-17
Knock another arrow, my last arrow, as I only carry 4 arrows.

I check the thermals beginning to swirl a bit so I leave all my stuff next to the tree, including my bugle tube (foreshadowing here) and head over to look for that arrow. I walk slow and watch in all directions, as I’m looking around for my arrow, I look uphill and catch some tan moving along the ridge. I don’t know how many, more than three for sure.

I knock my last arrow and cow call, wham I get hit with a bugle, and immediately the bull from earlier this morning down hill, must have bed by the creek, he also sounds off. I kept quite for about 3 minutes and could see the elk above me continue to move along the ridge, not in a hurry, just moving along.

I checked thermals, down hill. I cow called, nothing. I bugled (without my tube) it sounded awful, but they both responded. Thermals down hill so I begin hustling at an uphill angle to cut off the bull. Ever time I cow called, nothing, bugle and they both responded.

13-May-17
I just couldn’t gain on the uphill group (they move a lot faster than it appears) so I just stopped and let go another bugle. The elk from below was now coming after me and had closed to about 100 yards or so. He was actually right about where I had been when I looked for my third arrow.

I checked the thermals, going up hill, aw perfect.

Turn around and slowly move back and down, keeping quiet and watching. He bugled again from the same place he had last bugled from.

I bugled, he responded so I hustled down to the same level as him and moved about 50 yards towards him and waited to let him make the next move. I waited for what seemed like a long time (5 minutes maybe) and let off another bugle. He didn’t respond. I checked the thermals and the wind had picked up and was swirling so I’m sure he got my wind and that ended my day.

At this point I was completely exhausted mentally and physically and the wind was really picking up in all directions so I headed back to camp to reload my quiver.

13-May-17
Not sure why you don't think your not a word smith! Ya got me hooked, really great story so far!

I know the feelings you describe, especially the "How did I just blow that opportunity" part. Big bull elk have a way of making even the most stone cold, steely veined killers come unraveled.

13-May-17
You are doing great Bob, making me grin at work!

13-May-17
Great story so far, gotta watch out for those timber tigers.

13-May-17
Got me hooked too. Great job at story telling.

13-May-17
Excellent storytelling. Love the sincere/honest description of your emotions. Your quiver must be reloaded by now. What happened next?

13-May-17
Impatiently waiting for more. Good stuff!

13-May-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
"what I want to know is, where are the rest of the peanuts?"

13-May-17
No kidding. I am hooked. Keep it up.

13-May-17
Fine story and I enjoyed it.

13-May-17

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Just got back from chasing walleyes (MN fishing opener today) fresh eyes for supper tonight.

My partners had a good laugh at my expense, I just can't come down from that high and keep talking, going through the motions of drawing my bow as I tell each detail.

They each saw some elk but were all pretty disappointed as about 2 hours after sunup the sheep with the dogs moved into their area and really screwed up their hunt.

Okay, so I'm fully loaded and ready to hit it, so off I go. Not even noon yet, but I'm still stoked and no way I can stay in camp. It's still a bit windy but at least it's consistent.

On my way in I have to go through quite a bit of timber then it breaks into a couple parks that drop off into "my" creek bottom. Just as I enter the first opening I catch movement to my left.

Crap, not paying attention and busted some elk - not sure how many but one cut in behind me and up over the top, the other ran back the way I just came from. It was odd, by the way they were acting I don't think I busted them. First thing I thought of was the damn sheep must be down in the creek bottom or something.

So I just stood there for about 15 minutes, slowly continued on my way, through more timber, just as I break into the next park, RIGHT THERE, two elk standing looking at me. Instant full on excitement, I didn't take the time to use my range finder (dumb ass).

Draw back, pin on the closest one, hit the trigger, there goes another $25 dollar arrow / broad head combination right over it's back. Well it's been a hundred dollar day so far and no blood. Ya know what, I DON'T CARE and wouldn't trade this day for a months worth of deer hunting.

They both spin and dive off the edge towards the drainage - the lay of the land right here is that it starts out with a gentle slope and after about 50 yards it drops almost straight down another hundred yards or so into the bottom, so when they spun and jumped I could only see them for 5 seconds or so, over the edge they bailed

So at this point my happy mood is quickly turning into frustration. I'm thinking to myself this is "F'n" ridiculous. Pull your head out and make something happen.

When I get to where I have to drop off this side and down through the creek bottom I have to go right past a mega wallow. I check it out, boy does it reek.

Up the other side I go, thermals going up, so on up I go. When I get to where I saw all the elk this morning, holy crap, what a trail. Up another 30 yards and I'm set for the afternoon.

13-May-17
Great recap and appreciate your honesty as we have all had our mishaps! Looking forward to the rest of your adventure.

13-May-17
Yeah, I'm hooked like those walleye's. Don't stop now man.

13-May-17
Ummm, I'm not Paul Harvey. I can't tell "the rest of the story" without you!

14-May-17
Just ordered a 7 arrow TightSpot Quiver:)

14-May-17

Inshart's embedded Photo
I'll be set up 40 yards from this wallow this afternoon
Inshart's embedded Photo
I'll be set up 40 yards from this wallow this afternoon
It's just shortly after noon so I know I have a long wait, hang up my bow, lay back and it's lights out.

Not sure how long I "rested my eyes" but it was needed (I never sleep much night before opener) and it sure felt good.

So now it's getting along couple hours till "go time" and I catch movement above me. Well it's public property and here comes a couple guys walking in the direction I'm expecting the elk to come from.

I waited till they were about 60 yards away and gave a soft cow call. I had to smile as they both came to a screeching halt, the guy in back went for his quiver and began pulling an arrow.

I called again, they looked and I walked up to where they were standing. They were 2 of a group of 9 hunters, some of which came up and over from the other side checking this "great looking" area out. .... That explains why I saw the elk mid day on my walk in. This sucks big time, but again it's public property.

I explained that there were 3 of us hunting this drainage and we haven't had much action so far. I pointed and let them know where and how we were hunting ... didn't make any difference, they said they found some great elk sign and were going to set up on it. I also told them occasionally the elk use this area as a travel corridor and that I planned to set up here until dark ... didn't make any difference. I wished them good luck and went back to where I was set up.

They stood and talked for a few minutes then headed right to where I hinted I was watching. Just about the time the sun was touching the top of the mountain here they came back and headed back towards the road.

I had to tell myself it was public and don't let it ruin your hunt.

Sat till dark ... nothing.

Next morning right back in the area i was yesterday ... sat till the thermals came up .... moved towards the top, sat till just after noon ... nothing.

Takes care of this area.

Next morning I was at the mega wallow by first light. Sat till about 1/2 hour after daylight and headed up (away from the road) the drainage another mile or so. It's a good area I've been to several times with plenty of wallows and parks and I've seen elk there in the past.

Spent a few hours checking things out - just as in the past the wallows were here, the tracks, the droppings, rubbed trees, looks good, I'll head back to camp, grab a bite to eat, change into dry cloths (warmed up into the 70's) and be back in a couple hours.

14-May-17

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Got set up, had the normal visitors along with a "camp robber". I wear hearing aids and when this guy came in and squawked right behind me, well lets just say he sure got my attention in a hurry.

Here is where I set up for this evening. If you look close you can see another wallow out in front of me.

That other wallow (previous post) was fairly clear and guessing it might have been a while since it was last visited. It's kind of hard to see but there is a slight trickle of water moving through it so that might clear it up quicker than if it was just standing stagnant. The mud around the edges is somewhat exposed to the sun, but does look fresh. I would appreciate it if someone with more "wallow" experience would chime in here and give me their thoughts on when they think might have been the last time this was hit???

I stood up and tried to zoom in a bit (right under the branch where that camp robber was setting) on this other wallow off to the side.

Just an FYI, I don't hear worth a darn so as far as "runn'n & gunn'n" I just can't do it. I can't hear a bugle much more than 100 yards or so, and cow calls, forget it unless they are REALLY close, thus I spend most of my time setting up on trails and wallows.

14-May-17

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Nothing for tonight, but I think this will be a good area for the morning as I know they bed in the dark timber right up behind me and with the big group in the next drainage I just might get a straggler pushed by me.

14-May-17
Sounds like the same guys we ran into while hunting western Wyoming last year. We had a big group of guys from Michigan and another from Minnesota just totally over run the drainage we were carefully hunting. All these guys had crossbows and had wounded and lost 2 bulls between the two groups. No consideration about other hunters or their plans.

Enjoying your story very much! I hope there's a picture of a big bull at the end!

14-May-17
A bunch o' Cheeseheads like that is exactly the reason that I have hunted a CO Rifle exactly ONE time in my life. Spent 4 days trying to dodge those clowns and bought myself a .54

Good yarn!

14-May-17
Oops, posted the wrong pic, it was supposed to be of a camp robber sitting on a branch right next to me with the wallow just barely visible. Instead it is of the close up of the wallow ... oh well.

I was set up well before daylight the next morning and just as it was breaking day I catch movement up on the ridge about 60 to 70 yards away. I can see the legs of 2 elk moving from left to right. I was holding my bow so I stood up and got ready to let a soft cow call as they were already past me.

Just then I see a dog ... "A frick'n dog????" here what I was seeing wasn't the legs of 2 elk but that of 2 horses with the sheep herders on them. I just hung my head and knew my time here was limited as from past experience I know that they go out riding to scout areas for their sheep. CRAP!!!!

They rode on through and then I heard one of them whistle for the dog.

I decided to set there until the thermals changed and then head back to camp.

As the sun hit me the thermals began to shift so I stood up and laid my bow across my seat. I reached down to pick up my bow and a bull let out one hell of a bugle - close, close.

I looked up as I grabbed my bow and 60 yards away, here came 2 cows on the run with a bull right behind them. That is the direction I had been watching all morning and the minute I turn my back ... OH MAN!!!!

I had to freeze as they were coming right at me and in the wide open. My only hope was they had to go through a little bit of timber and maybe they would hesitate in there for a few seconds. Wouldn't ya know it, the bull stopped in the opening and the cows kept coming, yup right up to where the breezy was blowing. They busted just as the bull hit the little bit of timber.

He came right to where they busted, stopped and just stood there 15 yards, broadside for about 10 seconds and then he turned and followed them right up through the park. There was just no way to get my bow up for a shot. From the time I first saw them till they turned and ran was not more than 45, maybe 60 seconds. If I had just remained standing another 10 seconds, looking that way I would have seen them and been able to get ready in time to get a shot off.

The wind was squirrely, so I packed up and headed back to camp.

I came back in the afternoon and about an hour later here came the sheep.

Well I sure wish I could post a pic of a big 6 X, or for that matter even a cow, but for the next three days they stayed right there in "my" drainage and that pretty much took care of the rest of our hunt.

His dogs chased some elk right past one of the guys in our group (I posted a thread here on that a few months ago about that) and got extremely aggressive with him, growling, showing his teeth, and really put the scare to him. I even filed a complaint with the Wyoming Game and Fish - never heard anything back ... of course.

We spread out and only saw a couple more elk the entire rest of our hunt, as a matter of fact we left a day earlier than we had planned.

Thank you for the kind words.

15-May-17
Man o man...sounds like you had highs and lows during your hunt.

Thanks for taking us along on your adventure.

15-May-17
Sounds like you were in a good spot. Thanks for posting!

15-May-17
Thanks for sharing your story. I've also had issues with bull elk and saplings-:)

15-May-17
It's not the catch or the kill but the memories that were made! Thanks for sharing yours.

16-May-17
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us!

18-May-17
Very cool

• Sitka Gear