bud 20-May-17
Jaquomo 20-May-17
Striker@home 20-May-17
bud 20-May-17
wyelkhunter 22-May-17
Rickm 23-May-17
wyohunter1 23-May-17
20-May-17
Hi guys, fairly new to posting been on Bowsite for awhile. I was wondering if anyone could give me info. on access, type of terrain, hunt pressure, area around and in 37 -wilderness area, private land. I will be coming out from Wisconsin with 3 others for the Archery season general tag special season Sept 15 to the 30th. I have already researched the search engine on Bowsite. Thanks ahead of time for anything you can give me.

20-May-17
If you have a general tag I would look to another unit unless you want to go guided private. 37 can be extremely difficult to find elk on public. Especially by the 15th. IMHO.

20-May-17
I wouldn't do 37. I did last year on a type 9 tag.

20-May-17
37 is a good unit early and there are some great bulls. But it can be difficult to hunt without an outfitter. Good luck

20-May-17
The only ones that can hunt early (Sept 1-14) are those with a Type 9 license. Anyone with a general license can then join the party starting the 15th.

20-May-17
Dang double post! :-(

20-May-17
thanks for all the advice so far! I forgot to mention I do have a friend two hours away from unit 37 who is a resident. I am not the head planner of this trip but I have hunted Colorado over the counter and don't feel like I would have any better success hunting in Wyoming on a two year draw tag. I personally would have continued to send in for the draw and hunted over the counter.

20-May-17
I have hunted 37. It's my back yard. Literally. Coming out of state with a general tag you need to look farther west. Good Luck on your hunt.

20-May-17
Make sure your friend gets qualified as a "resident guide" so you can hunt in the wilderness area.

20-May-17
You're wasting your time in 37 after September 15. I've killed 3 bulls in the unit, all of them before Sept 15. Once the 15th hits, the mountain turns into a city with a truck, car, camper, and tent tucked into every little nook and cranny of Red Grade Road and Black Mountain Road, the two main public access points to the unit. The elk are also conditioned to be on private land early in September and can be viewed from highway 14 above Dayton from September 7th on. There are usually 700+ head that rut on the Horsehoe Ranch, leaving very few animals still accessible to the public land hunter. I'm not blowing smoke with this response or trying to chase you away from "good" hunting. I've lived in Sheridan and hunted the Bighorns since 1991 and know how frustrating and downright maddening hunting 37 is after the 15th..

20-May-17
Stryker..truth. Wy g&f can sell hundreds cow tags in 37 with no impact on herd. Im sending you a PM OP.

22-May-17
Area 37 might be the worst general elk area IMO. I live here and have been in the area many times. I would look for a different area.

23-May-17
Well knows that area and I would trust his judgement!!

How's it going Randy? Been a while. Can't draw my dang tag!!

23-May-17
I would have to guess that everybody and their brother from County 17 hunt those 2 general units.

• Sitka Gear