bowbender77 22-May-17
Bowboy 22-May-17
Dennis Razza 23-May-17
Nogutsnostory 26-May-17
APauls 26-May-17
22-May-17

bumpinblaze4x4's embedded Photo
I've been shooting a Hoyt Defiant turbo since last november and ran into a near catastrophe saturday night. I replaced my factory strings last fall and while tuning my bow on saturday i experienced something similar to a dry fire even though i had an arrow knocked and the arrow was actually released into the target during this event. Everything resembled a dry fire but the string and one cable came off the bow when i released the arrow. Upon inspection the "peg" on my bottom cam which the cable loops around had come off of the bolt on the cam causing the cable and string to come off when i released the arrow. The "peg" hit me in the chest causing a nice bruise as well. Here's the two kickers: 1. I index all of my screws/bolts with white paint and the bolt itself did not move but the peg must have slowly unthreaded from that bolt over time (pictures included) 2. I spoke with two different reputable pro shop techs who walked me through the issues BUT also stated that this is something they have seen happen on more than one occasion in both of their shops. I have e-mailed hoyt but i wanted to spread the word to double check your bolts, etc. to avoid this issue.

Unfortunately i had to start my entire tuning process over (fortunately it happened in may rather than october).

I'm not bashing hoyt as i will continue to shoot their bows as i have for 15 years.

22-May-17

22-May-17
I blue Loctite every screw on my bow.

Glad you weren't injured...could have been much worse!

22-May-17
For real? Who would design something like this? Off to check half pint's bow...SMH

22-May-17
Its always a good thing to check screws and bolts for securement. blue loc tite is very good idea. remember anything man made can fail.

22-May-17
Thanks for the heads up.

22-May-17
this is crazy. I know anything can happen but this is the first time I have seen an incident like this and I consider myself in the loop on most things archery. Glad you made it out okay.

22-May-17
Thanks guys. As i said, i index all screws and bolts on the bow and check them regularly. The bolt that this peg threads into was indexed as it should be but what i didn't now was that the peg on the other side was threaded so i had no idea it had slowly come loose. The real kicker was that my tech friends had seen it multiple times in two different shops.

22-May-17
Wow . Glad you didn't get hurt. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for that . I've only been selling Hoyt for about 8 years but have sold and worked on a ton of them and this is the first I've seen.

22-May-17
Crazy. Never heard or seen that before.

22-May-17
Is this when you "GET SERIUOS" ?

22-May-17
I've shot Hoyt for years and never had this problem. I guess anything can happen.

23-May-17
Thanks for the heads up. Will be checking mine regularly. I had something similar happen to me in a stand while drawing. Scares the crap out of you. Mine was caused from a twig in between the wheel and the string. Jumped the string off the wheel. Glad you were not hurt!

26-May-17
What a great piece of information,I just checked mine this morning and the exact nut you described was loose I turned it 1/4" and a few other on the bow as well. This was on a Hoyt carbon defiant 34.

26-May-17
Yowza!

• Sitka Gear