planter for corn/soybean?
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
flyingbrass 23-May-17
t-roy 24-May-17
deerhaven 24-May-17
fshafly2 24-May-17
23-May-17
I got 630 acres but mostly hardwoods. About 15 of it is food plot and mostly clover now. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a planter to plant soybeans/corn. I just broadcast my stuff now. I think it might be good to be able to cultivate a little. I like the john deere 71 flex. My friend has one so I'm a little bit familiar with it. I can't decide if I need a single row or double row. please help. suggestions are welcome.

24-May-17
I would suggest a 2 row at a bare minimum, 4 row or even a 6 row would be ideal if you can swing it. Being familiar with, or knowing someone who is, helps shorten the learning curve on how to use it or work on it. How big of a tractor do you have? It doesn't take a very big tractor to pull a planter. The less trips you make across your prepped ground when planting, the less compaction you will have, which can be an issue. You will also get more uniform rows with a larger planter, which isn't that big of a deal, but possibly could be if you are contemplating cultivating your row crops.

24-May-17
4 row JD 7100. Works great even in small spaces. It is simple tough design that has been around for a long time. Parts readily available both new and in the bone yard very easy to learn inside and out.

24-May-17
I've used a 2-row JD 71 to plant corn, chufa, soybean and sunflower wildlife food plots over the years. The plots are typically 1 - 3A. The 2-row planter is a good size for me, gets the job done and is easy to handle. -fsh

• Sitka Gear