kustomkulture04 25-May-17
Russell 25-May-17
elkstabber 25-May-17
Fulldraw1972 25-May-17
Treeline 25-May-17
Bowboy 25-May-17
SteveB 28-May-17
25-May-17
Hey guys Texan here headed out to Co for my first DIY elk hunt. I have read some old posts on here about unit 85 and was wondering if anyone would be willing to chat about past experiences? Not looking for your honey holes just basic info that may help me out a little. I'm totally green on this mountain stuff. Thanks

25-May-17
Welcome to Bowsite.

Suggest starting a new thread with a diff title. You should get more responses.

25-May-17
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good info here. I can't help you at all with CO unit 85 but there is not much public land there. You might find a hotspot there but I would be concerned about the extensive private land that probably holds most of the elk once the hunting season starts. There are many OTC units with lots more public land that would be great choices for your first elk hunt.

25-May-17
I worked in that area last year. Stayed in Laveta. It's a beautiful area with lots of wildlife. With that said there isn't much for public land. I am all for hunting public close to private. However with the lack of public the public land will be crowded. Or worse yet the elk won't leave the private. If you have access to private or are hunting with an outfitter it's a great unit.

25-May-17
Welcome. You can find a lot of info here. I can't help for your elk hunt. Never hunted that unit for elk. I would start with maps and possibly a call to CPW and find out who the Conservation Officer/Biologist is in that area to see if they can give you any info. Maybe plan a trip up in the summer for a little "boots on the ground" in that area to get a feel for what you are up against. Good luck!

25-May-17
Welcome and lots of great info on this site.

28-May-17
Welcome! I bow hunted 85 several years ago on a private lease with Aaron Latske. Unsuccessful. Nice country, but not sure Id go public in that area unless I had some inside intel.

• Sitka Gear