kellyharris 29-May-17
D.Victoria 31-May-17
BagginBigguns 01-Jun-17
Bigpizzaman 01-Jun-17
ESP 01-Jun-17
Bentstick81 05-Jun-17
Will 05-Jun-17
25-May-17
two months after shoulder surgery it seems whatever he fixed wasn't why I originally walked in the place,,, the pain is exactly the same! I bought a used helim and had it lowered 53# not sure how much lower it will go being 50/60 limbs but I may need to go even lighter and pick up a 40 to 45lb bow..

what do you guys think I'm coming from 65lb compounds and I need to be sure if I do go 40lbs the minimal legal draw weight can it still be effective..

I'm thinking stinger two blades and medium weight arrow so ACC's and keep the shots to 20yds max..

25-May-17
Ted, if you are hunting deer only I'd say a 40 pound bow will give you no trouble. Use any good fixed blade COC head and a 400gr arrow and you'll blow through any deer you shoot at. No need to limit range within reason out to 40. I've seen 40 pound bows do amazing things on deer and bears over the past few years.

25-May-17
Two months is not that far out from surgery. I've had more than one for shoulder and it takes a long time before it's healed. It will improve so don't panic. The waiting is tough

25-May-17
My son has killed deer with a 39# bow no problem with complete pass through using 3 blade wac'em. You will be fine

25-May-17
Agreed, Most guys I know say 6-9 months for recovery. Did your doc clear you to pull a bow back? my buddy had to wait 7 months, but his injuries may have been completely different.

Scar.

25-May-17
Went from 64 pounds to 47 pounds a few years ago to make drawing easier when sitting and in cold weather. Firat deer at 47 pound with a Muzzy broadhead blew right thru and into the ground recovery distance 4 feet from the tree I was in! lacement is everything!

25-May-17
BC , Thought the same think . I had shoulder surgery on 3/23 and i am not even lifting anything yet and the PT said be another few months before I'm even pulling a bow back with light poundage .

25-May-17
I had rotator cuff and bicep tendon surgery on 1/6/17 this year, it was a good 4 months before the original pain went away! Don't rush it! They just released me to start drawing a bow again about a week ago, you don't want to do the surgery twice!

25-May-17
Take it easy and do the PT. Do not rush shooting any bow. Take it from me, I had to do surgery twice. Twice as much pain, twice as much down time. I switched over to a crossbow for one season; I hated that dang thing, but at least I was hunting. Back to shooting 65-70 pounds vertical bow by the next season.

25-May-17
Nothing to gain by pushing yourself right now, but everything to lose. Shoulders are slow healers.

25-May-17
we have a young man in our elk camp that has killed a bull every year he has been there with a 35 pound bow and a cut on contact two blade. killed them with one shot through both lungs.

25-May-17
I'm not an ortho dr and I didn't stay in the Holiday Inn last night, but I have had rotator surgery on both shoulders. If you are only 2 mos from rotator surgery you ain't ready shoot a bow. You are only in the "dream stage" of shooting a bow again.

Also it not time for the pain to to stop or lessen. That will occur in about 9 mos. after surgery.

Listen to PT and use ice!!

25-May-17
Every surgery is different and so is everyone's healing process. I had Rotator Cuff surgery about 5 years ago and was told I would not be able to shoot for 12 weeks after surgery. Did my PT as told and the PT released me sooner than expected as I was doing so well on my own. Then at 10 weeks the Dr. told me I was good to go and told me I could shoot my bow. Went home and got my wifes 35# recurve bow and pulled it which felt like a rubber band, so them got my bow out and pulled it with no issues (70# recurve at my draw length). Shoulder is stronger than ever and no issues at all since surgery.

26-May-17
I just had surgery yesterday on my left shoulder(right handed). My personal goal is to be bow hunting by November. As far as low poundage goes, my wife has had no problem on complete pass through shots on both deer and bear. 43 lb draw, FMJ's 100 grain slick tricks. Best of luck!

26-May-17
Also get a smooth drawing 6" brace height bow, by dropping from a 7" is like adding 10 pounds draw weight. The bowtech reign 6 would be my choice!

26-May-17
I can't speak to the surgery but you can kill moose with a 45lb compound no problem. Especially today's bows.

27-May-17
Hey you guys thank you for the posts!! well first after sugery I was supposed to go to rehab but rehab was two days a week during the day which is impossible with my job but before I could really sweat that I had a post-op appointment and the doctor checked the movement in my arm and said he didn't think I needed to go to rehab and to just take it easy and keep doing certain movements so it didn't freeze up.

awesome I thought but there was nothing said about not drawing my bow so when I got home with the helim re-adjusted to 53# (pre-planning for post-op turkey hunting) my shoulder was killing me from drawing it a few times at the pro shop during set-up.

That was the beginning of April and I haven't drew a bow back since! I totally blew off turkey season and Salt water Fly fishing (heavier rods) invites to 3D's and going to the Gym...

yeah I'm getting really nervous if I miss bow season it will be the first time in 40yrs,,,, thing is with a crossbow license in Mass once you get one if they catch you with a regular bow and it comes up you have a CB permit your screwed I heard its like fraud.

I'm going to take advice from alot of you and sit tight and hope it heals but last resort I'm hoping my shoulder is okay enough to at least shoot 40 lbs the minimum here.. if I have 50/60 limbs on the helim how low do you guys thing I can go before the bolts blow out? I would love to be able to shoot that because its a new "used" bow replacing an old rival pro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its like having a new Harley and you can't ride it 8^(... really sux!!!

27-May-17
X2 on not long after surgery. I drew for first at exactly 12 weeks.

X2 do the Physical therapy.

X2 ICE,ice, and more ice.

It will take a year to get 100% of strength back

27-May-17
I have seen several people who tried to rush the healing process. Most of them got to experience "repair surgery". Which further delay the healing process and the being able to return to bowhunting.

Age also plays an important part in the speed of the healing process.

27-May-17
The therapy keeps the range of motion going and helps strengthen the shoulder back up.my hardest part was the wall washing movements.that was in 2005,,took awhile to come back,but can shoot what I want to now.

27-May-17
honestly I feel no pain unless I try drawing a bow,,, it comes from under that hump on top of your shoulder which would keep a rifle sling from sliding off. the surgery he went in and cleaned out bone spurs so i'm not sure whatever that pain under the hump is but I don't think this is bone related.

27-May-17
Labrum or supraspinatus (rotator cuff). Do lateral raises w/ resistance agitate it?

27-May-17
Tajune17,

You had bone spur removal. Did you have damaged or torned ligaments?

27-May-17
Trust me. Do not rush it. Not sure what your statement was about the crossbow permit, but assume it's a medical exception. I would hope proper documentation from the M.D. that rehabilitation has been achieved would be acceptable.

Best of luck.

28-May-17
When I lived in Loveland, Ohio years back I had a guy who bought his son a PSE Spider compound. The setup was way below legal definition it was drawing 28 lbs.

The kid killed two deer with two shots and the first was a pass thru on a 2 year old buck.

40-45 is plenty on today's compounds

28-May-17
My daughter killed her first deer at the age of ten with her Mathews Mission. Just one week before season she hot the magic number #30 actually got to #31lbs. And the deer she shot was at 21 yards the two blade buzcut went right through both lungs and I videotaped the doe fall just 80 yards away so if she can do it you can do it. Good luck

29-May-17
Good ol Loveland. Kelly did you live there when the bar still had the monkey? I used to give tours at the Loveland castle. Cool place for sure.

29-May-17
Tajue17 - I had a shoulder done several years ago and it took a good 4 months before I was cleared to start drawing any weight. Also, I've had my chest unzipped twice for various cardiac surgeries and from a pain recovery perspective, I'd elect to get unzipped vs. shoulder surgery. The recovery from shoulder work is painful and looooooooong. Take it from someone who has seen too many ORs, take your time and be patient.

29-May-17
OhioHunter yes graduated from Loveland in 1984. I was born and raised in Branch Hill my wife from Loveland.

We use to throw cigarettes at Sam the monkey and yes the funny cigarette as well.

My good friend Mark Altimeyer just bought the Train stop/monkey bar.

The basement is completely redone and looks like a bar straight out of old England!

The upstairs should be done by next summer and the patio outside done by this September.

I grew up 5 house down river of the Isaac Walton league

Now we live in Kings Mills just behind Kings Island so about 1.5 miles as the crow flys to the monkey bar

31-May-17
I tore my labrum in 2014 and had surgery 8 months later. 3 months post-op and it re-tore in pt.... Now three different Dr.'s all have different opinions and I haven't been able to draw a bow since

01-Jun-17
OP, what specifically did you have repaired with the surgery? It makes all the difference in your limitations and recovery timeframe.

That "hump" on top of your shoulder is your AC joint. It's where your collar bone and shoulder blade join together (via ligaments). If the surgeon carved out some arthritis (which I had done in December and am still recovering from), it may be tender for a while. Also, your rotator cuff inserts into the head of your humerus bone right near the underside of that area. The pain you're feeling is likely rotator cuff irritation, which takes time to calm down. Exercises that strengthen the muscles which control the position and posture of your shoulder blade will help reduce impingement in that area (by creating clearance), which will promote rotator cuff health. Take it slow, don't push it, and things will be better over the course of time. If it's still bugging you 6 months from now, then maybe something is up. But if it's feeling pretty decent after only 2 months post-op, count yourself blessed.

01-Jun-17
I was pulling 45# 3 months after shoulder surgery (rotator cuff) did very aggressive PT inclusive of exercise, stretching, dry needling and cupping. Shot a hand full of deer and hogs, no issues, used a 75gr Muzzy 3 blade. I followed my PT's program to a "T" no more and definitely no LESS. 6 months back to a 70+ pound bow and 9 months to FULL recovery. Everyone is different, but get a good surgeon and PT and do as they say!

01-Jun-17
It took 18 months after my shoulder surgery before my strength was fully back. The surgery was on the first of June and I was hunting with 55lbs in September. Do exactly what the physical therapist tells you it will help.

05-Jun-17
41# compound bow is what i am hunting with. On those 10 degree mornings, my ol joints in my fingers, and shoulder, really like that lower poundage. I messed my rotator cuff up bout 12 years ago, and didn't get it worked on, and why i like those lighter weight bows. Just bought a 40#-50# Hoyt Tribute, and it's set at 41# also. It is sweet. Good luck with your shoulder, and hope it heals well for you.

05-Jun-17
Taj - Hope you heal well man! Do the PT, religiously.

My wife shoot's 47# now, but was just at 40 for a long time (Elite, Ice) with a 24.5" draw. She shoots Eastons, I forget right now the specific arrow, but they are a "lower cost" Easton which is standard diameter - very popular for a number of years. Any way, she's had passthrough's with 4bld Magnus Stingers with that set up @ 40#.

You will be able to get stout performance with Stingers either 2 or 4bld out of your Helim @ 40-45# I'm sure.

Will

• Sitka Gear