Zbone 26-May-17
Scooby-doo 26-May-17
ExtremeZ7 26-May-17
ExtremeZ7 26-May-17
LKH 27-May-17
Bowriter 27-May-17
25-May-17

ExtremeZ7's embedded Photo
Not much of one for names. Maybe call him I'd like to see you opening day.
Not much of one for names. Maybe call him I'd like to see you opening day.
Hello all,

I read 100x more than I write, but I couldn't resist. I'll start by saying I am not a trophy hunter or a guy that looks for the oldest most mature deer. I look for a nice buck- self imposed 8 pt or better. I pulled trail cam pics today for the first time this season and saw this guy. Is it me or is this going to be a cool looking buck? My question is, how old do you think he is? Just curious and killing time between seasons. I am putting him at maybe 2 1/2-3. Just want some other's opinions. I know it early but he has me pumped. Our season starts in 14 weeks from tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone hunting around the world this summer. I will be reading.

25-May-17

25-May-17

25-May-17
Body looks 3-4. A lot of mass starting though the velvet deceives. Regardless, he might have a wild rack.

25-May-17
Somewhere between 2 and 4. :-). Actually hard to make a good guess with those pics at this time of year, but looks like his rack is gonna be interesting to say the least.

25-May-17
Nobody's a horn hunter until the chance of a big buck presents itself ;) Enjoy the fun, season and maybe a selective chase. You don't need to be embarrassed about trying to shoot a large antlered deer.

Looks like that could be a super cool deer. I'd guess 3 or 4 years old as well.

25-May-17
Although the has a sleek looking body, it doesn't have that young "whipper-snapper" look to it. Personally I think he looks much older. Nice deep chest, when looking at his eyes and face he's kind of gray and he looks tired (i.e. old), ha, ha, kind of like me. LOL

I'm thinking 6 to 7.

25-May-17

This was the "smaller" racked buck that came in with this guy. Big Ol'belly.

26-May-17
That's a mature buck IMO - shoulder hump, rounded ass, low throat, and as pointed out kind of a wizened face. Plus he appears to be giving the cam the hairy eyeball - no spring chicken. Body isn't too thick, but he's coming out of the slow starvation season, so he'll be putting on plenty of weight between now and the rut. I'm going to go 4+. Harvest it and tell us how close we got.

26-May-17
I think your last pic is still the same deer?

26-May-17
How old - Mature...8^)

In all seriousness, I luv bucks with character, he's gonna be a dandy...

26-May-17
I would name him "Maybe"!! I believe he may be 4 but as has been said he could be 3. Hope ya get more pics as he grows, looks like he may be a freak! Scooby

26-May-17

APauls you are correct.

26-May-17

27-May-17
Yup, the second buck definitely looks older.

27-May-17
Well, I hate to urinate on the procession but...As far as age, I have no idea, I can't see his teeth. But I can say this: At this stage of antler development, my guess is, once the velvet is gone, he may not be that big. I have no idea what your timetable for antler growth is so I can't give an accurate assessment. What I can say is, velvet makes a lot of difference. My initial reaction is, he is not that old-no more than 3. But that is just SWAG.

• Sitka Gear