LINK 09-Jun-17
LINK 09-Jun-17
LINK 09-Jun-17
ghost stalker 12-Jun-17
stealthycat 12-Jun-17
29-May-17

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
For those of us who don't have the luxury of walking out of our front door into the wilderness with a pack on to train, what are you doing to prepare for elk season? Gym, walk/run outside, biking/cycling, all or none of the above?

As for me, my job is fairly physical but I also like hitting the gym for some extra cardio, lunges, weighted step ups, and my worst nightmare.... the stair climber with a weighted pack. I'm not much of a "weight lifter" but use dumb bells for lunges and step ups. Soon I'll start with my bike outdoors and some running as well. This is my official workout t-shirt for motivation! Ha

29-May-17
Koko Fit Club 5 days per week, M-W-F cardio and weights, T-Th, cardio.

And I'll throw 65 lbs in the pack on occasion and take a hike.

29-May-17
I started the year trying to lose a few extra lbs. So far so good, down 30 to 254. It has happened all with my change in diet. Today was my first serious day back in the gym in almost two years. The next 30 will not be as easy I am sure but it has to happen. I haven't been 225 since I showed up for football camp my first year back to college in 2002. I plan on doing a 4 day a week weight training program along with cardio outside 6-7 days a week. I am lucky with the place that I live, we have some big hills I can hike or run. Throwing around the idea of doing a "boot camp" that the gym is doing. Plan on adding the pack to my cardio workouts in early july. All I know is i am not going back into the mountains in the poor shape I was last time. I don,t have a tag of my own this year but a college friend of mine drew a wyo tag and asked me to come help! Of course I said yes. I like the shirt for motivation!!!

29-May-17
I try to be in the best shape as I can, but with Midwest hunting with us this year, I can slack a bit :)

That marathon he ran yesterday will be a walk in the park :>o

29-May-17
For a goat hunt not elk but same concept. 1 day treadmill at 30% incline with 45 lbs in my pack and boots for 1 hr...2000 ft climb. 1 day a week of the same but 30 minutes for 1000 ft climb. 1 long run of 6+ miles per week. 3 short runs of 2-4 per week. 1 day of leg workout. 1 day of another muscle group. So far since booking my trip I have gone from 195 lbs and barely able to run 1/2 mile...now down to 163 lbs and able to run 8 miles.

29-May-17
I lift things up and put them down!

29-May-17
"I lift things up and put them down!"

Me too Charlie, especially beer!

29-May-17
Basketball, softball, squats, lunges, burpees, walk with a loaded pack, and ride the bike. Will be throwing some swimming in soon.

29-May-17
Lucky enough to live close to steep terrain. But days I can't I do trails, or running hills in neighborhood. Pull ups push ups, and some easy yoga to keep loose. Most debilitating injuries I get are from over tight muscles.

29-May-17
Since i am an old baseball guy i approach it like spring training. Ease into things now until after the 4th of July then it is full on training in preparation for the season. 60 days of daily comment to work out, shoot, and get ready - we leave on Sept. 8th for two weeks. Right now I am prepping bows, arrows, and gear. This is probably not the best approach but it works for me.

29-May-17
I think I better start doing more weighted pack hikes in the steepest terrain I can find. 8-/

29-May-17

Native Okie's embedded Photo
A recent hike a Horsetooth Mountain
A recent hike a Horsetooth Mountain
I mix cardio and HIIT routines on alternating days. I recently found some HIIT routines that I like with a mixture of kettle bell, dumbbells and body weight. I have a nice workout room I put in my basement equipped with a treadmill. I like to do pack hikes like the one I did today with some good inclines like this.

29-May-17
My workout is 4 days a week ,stairmaster for 20mins. Treadmill for 15mins. with pack,core and abs for about 15mins. Then either legs,arms,chest and back depending on the day. At 60 years old and 2 bad shoulders and one elbow surgery I lift lighter now with more reps. Oh, and I hear the stairmaster will give you that Brazilian butt look. :>)

29-May-17
Drink beer and watch huntin' shows.......

29-May-17
All the above. Just returned from a 10 mile mt bike ride. This elk pic hangs on the wall for inspiration so I do not lose sight of the prize ahead. my best, Paul (age 77)

29-May-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

29-May-17
Paul, you are the man buddy! 77 years old and still terrorizing the elk woods! I love it!

29-May-17
getting into elk shape.. is a year long commitment for me. gym five days a week, lifting and cardio. as the season gets closer I hike with weight in a pack on weekends.

29-May-17
Elk hunting can be a real "slap in the face" when it comes to what kind of shape you are in. Had a buddy in 2013 hunt with me, had to stop many times over the course of a week, to let him catch his wind, I've got ten years on him at least.

He got serious and started training. In 2016, he won the Train to Hunt Masters Competition in Pennsylvania! He's a beast now, trains for those competitions Year-Round.

Run, Pack, and Shoot. Doesn't matter where you are...it helps when you get there.

Best of Luck, Jeff

29-May-17
For those of you who do the stair stepper with a pack, do you feel the pack makes a big difference? I haven't tried it yet but was wondering how much difference it makes.

29-May-17
I do treadmill with a pack (on a steep grade).

I want my body to be used to having that load at high elevation.

Even my daypack is 25 pounds or so...my body would go into shock if I had to hump those mountains for ten days straight, if it wasn't conditioned to the load.

Just my reasoning...

29-May-17
JLemieux, It definitely makes a difference in my opinion. If you start out with moderate weight (25lb) or so then gradually add weight every week you'll be in Good shape and it won't seem like such a huge leap.

29-May-17
Running, hiking with weighted pack, strength training. I live at 6000 plus so that's an advantage. I due this all year around. I use to work in a building with 6 flights of stairs and would run that 5 to 6 times a day with my hunting boots. Works for me.

29-May-17
You will get much more bang for your buck by doing step ups onto a bench with your pack than walking on a treadmill or doing the stair master. That said, all of them are much better than nothing.

I rode 48 miles on my mountain bike yesterday.

29-May-17
I have to modify my normal regimen. Running (My body is betraying me) has been partially replaced with spinning 2-3 days a week. Throw in walking with backpack, stairmaster, rowing.. Box steps or lunges with hand weights also. I will wear my weighted vest on treadmill or stairmaster to mix things up.

29-May-17
Do a treadmill instead of a stepper at a 30%+ incline to get some stretch into your workout. Will more than likely noe be flat foot step ups on the mtn

29-May-17
several miles a week on treadmill on incline, also lots of time on the stair climber and cutting calories to lose weight with protein to keep muscle. i aint no cam haines work out dude but my regimen works enough for me, i only feel half dead after several days chasing them at elevation instead of all dead.

29-May-17
If you want to be big and strong talk to noc 8 on thi WI forum. He's pretty cut.

Me, I've been following this woman whose workouts my wife does. Holly Rilinger.(right spelling I think). This chick is bad ass. I definitely know I'll be in elk shape by the end of June using her workouts. Call me gay if you want but I've never felt stronger than I do right now and I've only been doing them for 1.5 months. It mostly cardio using your own weight against you and light/medium weights.

29-May-17
"r those of you who do the stair stepper with a pack, do you feel the pack makes a big difference?" Yes. It's all dependent on how you use it too. Push yourself and it will.

29-May-17
Added dead lifts to my back work out today...wow! I feel like I got hit by a truck!

29-May-17
What are some of the diets/nutrition/supplements you guys use?

29-May-17
Costco is a great place for your supplements... C4 is a great pre workout just don't take it for evening workouts unless you want to stare at the ceiling all night. ON protein is also found at Costco. The chocolate is delicious and is a great protein. A scoop right after your workout and you'll see some great results. You can mix in some amino acids and Creatine (the ON protein has some) as well.

29-May-17

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo

29-May-17
Deadlifts are an awesome part of any fitness routine.

29-May-17
48 miles on a bike is impressive. I ride to the gym and back...13.5 miles. Some small hills each way. Puts the hurt on me. It definitely getting used to it.

30-May-17
Thanks guys. I plan to add the pack into my training in the next couple weeks. Overall, I'm behind the curve though.

30-May-17
Another old baseball guy here....and I never thought of it as spring training, but that analogy really fits! Start ramping up now (Memorial Day) with a mix of bike, hike, dead weights and diet. Typically don't get serious until after the 4th of July....leaving roughly ten weeks to get ready.

30-May-17
In May I've been hiking about 3 miles per day with a 35 pound pack. Like others it won't get serious until July. In June I'll add some running and stationary bike. When July hits the workouts will ramp up and I'll add a little weight lifting.

30-May-17
Year around training for me. If I didn't do it this way I'd most likely not do it to the point it would do me much good these days. The older I get the more disciplined I need to be to stay with it! My ace in the hole is I love working out, never been to a gym so am self motivated to stay in the elk hunting game as long as my body & mind hold out! (grin)

My # 1 motivation to sticking to work outs even on days I just don't feel like it is Elk Hunting The Rut! Geez it's addictive! (grin)

ElkNut1

30-May-17
I've come to realize its better to stay in shape vs. getting into shape...

Last summer I started doing the Stronglift 5x5 routine. When I reach a plateau where I cannot continue to add weight. I revert back to a 4x10 routine executing the same lifts. Seems like its about 90 days when I'm switching routines.

Cardio, I do Tues, Thurs, & Sat. I rotate between weighted pack (50# in Sky Archer.) Do either 4 or 5 miles depending on how much time I have. Running on the treadmill, various degrees of incline, but I've been doing the HIIT model were I walk then run 50% splits (walk 2 min, run 2 min.) Or lastly ride the bike, the loop in and around the neighborhood I take is 9 miles.

I'm a flatlander, age 39, looking up to Paul

30-May-17
A year round fitness routine is FAR better than the roller coaster approach. That doesn't mean you have to do high intensity stuff year round, but don't take months off without doing anything.

30-May-17
Question for you guys. I have NEVER done dead lifts. My back (old injury) is touchy and I have stayed away from them to prevent hurting myself. Much like anything, form is everything (I suspect). How do I start? Should I use a belt? THX.

30-May-17
Just like Bloodtrail said. Don't let your shoulders sag, either, and keep your core tight.

I would keep the weight low and reps high most of the time but switch it up occasionally once you get stronger.

30-May-17
Many of you are avid fitness peeps move to specific training as elk season approaches which is ideal for most.

As for the guys who try to get in shape six to 10 weeks before the hunt may work for you while you are young but is road to peril as you get older. The "embrace the suck" mindset best for motivating one to work good days and bad but is a poor concept once you are on the mountain. As we age it even more important to maintain a year around base level of fitness. As we age the ability to resurrect our body get harder and harder especially if we roll from relatively sedentary lifestyle to where we want to grind it out on the mountain.

30-May-17
YouTube is a great place to find proper and improper ways to workout.

30-May-17
Got a little lost with too much work the last couple of years and the weight went up - cholesterol went up. Still was running but it didn't help. Friend also has a nice elk tag and I would like to help him out.

So, start of April till now I have lost 41 lbs (mostly just eating right) and plan to lose another 30 to get into mountain shape (6' 4" - 175 lbs). Run 5-7 days a week, swim 3-4 days a week. Weights (dumbbells at home) 2-3 days a week. Biking/Volleyball in there also. Plan on doing some lake swims of 2-5 miles this year. Not quite ready for the 36 mile swim up north of Z Barebow though (sorry to hear that the knee is keeping you away from running).

Keep up the good work people - it will pay off in the fall.

30-May-17
Seems I spend every summer getting ready for a physical hunt. Always swear I'm going to turn that motivation into a year round fitness program...and I never do. Shortly after returning from my Western excursions, I sit in a treestand for two months leading right into the Holidays.....and boom, it's gone! Agree 100% the summer fitness rush gets tougher with age....but here I am starting another round....

30-May-17
I have found over the years it is all about legs and lungs in the mountains. Then add some upper body work outs and keep the extra weight off.

PAV, after hunting elk for 1,2,3 or 4 weeks I can not wait to WT hunt out of a tree stand.

my best, Paul

30-May-17
Yes Paul, we ALL know you are a STUD!!!!! :) Hope to be just like him someday:) I am guilty of the on again and off again thing. I really need to just stick with it, besides going up and down 20-40lbs a year is really bad for you!

Good Luck guys!

Scar.

30-May-17
Z, check your inbox.

30-May-17
THX Jason!

30-May-17
IMO, you should start with a trainer who has experience and knowledge of how to work with bad backs. Don't try it without at least some help at the outset.

30-May-17

JLS's Link

30-May-17
The Rippetoe video is really good. Also, have someone record a video from the side. Watch the movement of the bar, it should track vertically.

30-May-17
Jls good point. I will set up my phone and video myself when doing no workouts to confirm my form is good. Especially on things like squats and deadlifts.

30-May-17
I stay in decent shape all year. Run, elliptical, lift weights. I'm not elk hunting, but climbing hills with 40 pounds of whitetail gear is a lot of work. Plus I might be elk hunting next year again.

31-May-17
Run 15 to 20 miles per week (all year long) Start with hill repeats on one of our few local hills. Short spurt 150 yards long but gain close to 100 feet. Just do that till I get tired (with 60 lbs) up to 11 repeats right now. I toohave let myself go since our last hunt (2 years ago) and got to 226. As of this am I was 208 with at least 18 lbs to go before season (late sept hunt). I will start amping the miles up the closer we get to hunt time, and will look for more hills to run. I have fallen off the upper body wagon some, but try and stick some pull ups and push ups and core work into the mix.

31-May-17
Focusing on upper body/core strength to get the bow poundage where I want it to be. Pushups, other core, all the arm movements with resistance. Maintaining basic cardio, and will be really ramping it up to multiple days with heavy weight in hills. Might get into multi-hour bike rides - nothing burns calories like 60+ miles at an elevated pulse. In my experience you need to pull the draw weight and hold it steady, but there are usually days and days of extreme hikes at elevation before/if you get to that moment. Covering the terrain necessary to get into good elk sign is the weak link for most people. Silently stalking relatively short distances also takes a surprising amount strength, balance, muscle control, etc.

31-May-17
In all seriousness, I have had back pain for a long time. I recently decided to go to the Dr and get an MRI. It was revealed that I have 'Bertolotti's Syndrome'. So I had some shots in my back and got some relief, but running definitely is not in my 'elk shape' program.

Im OK with that. In all my years of elk hunting, I remember only once I RAN after some elk, and I found out 2 things:

1- You cant even keep up with elk by running

2- Its not safe - as I took a digger with a bow and a quiver full of arrows.

I have never needed to elk hunt and run with 40lbs or more of weight at the same time. So I dont

So I feel no need to 'run' anymore :) and my back appreciates that choice. Walking with a weighted pack & cardio, aerobics are for me and my style of elk hunting

31-May-17
6 pk of Bud Lite,1pk of Camels per day, atv or horse on a high fence in ranch that ran the elk off the public before the season. Shoot the elk, guide pack it out after hero pics and 1 Cuban cigar w/ a shot of Crown Royal and back to the recliner for the football game; life is good. Only day dreaming.

31-May-17
I live at the base of the Wasatch mountains, so I go find some steep hills and go for a hike. I usually go up Millcreek Canyon as it is one of the few that isn't a watershed, and therefore allows dogs, so I can take the pooch up with me. In addition to this, I go for long walks around my house, do pushups, pull ups, step ups, wall sits and ab work in my home. I have recently begun a paleo diet, and I like the results so far.

31-May-17
Working out is easy....clean diet is the hard part.

31-May-17
Doing my first ever crossfit class tomorrow. I work out 4 days a week and I'm predicting an ass kicking. A little scared and a lot excited.

01-Jun-17
Midwest, IMO, is spot on. Nothing more difficult for me than diet.

01-Jun-17
Diet! What helps me remember my diet when I want to lose a few pounds, is to post the diet on the refrigerator door in big bold letters and then also post your weight every two days as a reminder to your goal weight.

I cut out breads, cheese, milk,dairy products and stick to a lot of fruit, vegs (carrots, celery), salads and fish protein,eggs.

Heading out right now for a 15 mile bike ride. Keep at it guys. Paul

01-Jun-17
"For those of you who do the stair stepper with a pack, do you feel the pack makes a big difference? I haven't tried it yet but was wondering how much difference it makes."

I'll give my two cents on your question, Lemieux... Without training those neck/back muscles beforehand, it will be a shock to those areas the first couple of days. It happened to me a few years back. I never trained with any type of pack, and that first day when I put my day pack on, I said FUG, this thing is HEAVY! My energy was zapped and primarily (IMO) was a result to not doing any pack training prior to the hunt.

01-Jun-17
well I can join this now ...

I'm 48, Arkansan .... not hiked Colorado or Rockies in years. I'll play racquetball a couple of times a week, I'll cycle some ... but I think my biggest task will be using a weighted pack, and do bleachers at the local high school for 45-60 minutes a night. That should test these knees (3 surgeries)

01-Jun-17
I asked my Mt elk hunting partner how his elk training was going, he replied..."I ate 1.9 lbs of Sour Patch Kids" yep that should do it!

02-Jun-17
Getting into elk shape? I'll be 57 by archery season. Played soccer until I was 52, so I'm not in that bad of condition, but definitely heavier than I should be. It definitely gets tougher to get back into condition as you get older. Any exercise to try and avoid gaining weight over the winter is good. Any conditioning helps. However, to me, there is no real substitute for actually hiking/backpacking like you intend to during hunting season. Even when I was young and in really good condition, I had to train for the sport I was playing. Riding a bike or swimming didn't help much for running. Hiking is all about legs, adding upper body muscle is just more weight to pack. Of course I'd rather replace 20lbs of upper body fat with 20lbs of muscle.

02-Jun-17
On that crossfit stuff, I might do it, but I'll do a couple of utube sessions first - kind of ease into it. As my PT said, some of our best customers come from crossfit. End of range-of-motion exercises with weight = no bueno. The real problem is when you start getting in shape and decide to push it. Listen to your inner slacker, let that hardbody chick make you look bad every freaking time (even if you know you could, you know, man up if you REALLY went for it). Crossfit is a tough workout, it will get you in shape just doing it.

02-Jun-17
Getting into elk shape? Maybe being in condition is over-rated. I first bow-hunted for elk 26 years ago. I was camped with Bigdan those first couple of years. I was in really good condition and hiked miles and miles of mountains every day. I never killed a thing those first few years, even though I bugled and saw bulls every day. Dan, killed something every year, passed on bulls every day, and hiked a lot less than me. He hunted better than me, and I bet he used to laugh at me.

02-Jun-17
"As my PT said, some of our best customers come from crossfit."

-My orthopedist told me the same thing. But, what would one expect combining max weight, full body functional movement AND max rep protocols. It is a recipe for injury.

02-Jun-17
Dead lifts really increase testosterone production. Actually any weight fatigue training invluding the legs does that. Squats, heavy pack training, etc. just push it hard. When you feel your quads and they are pumped full of blood during a workout, and burning, you are getting it right. Don't forget diet either. Eat clean fat and protein. Makes sure you get an after workout supplement. It's makes a world of difference.

My personal opinion is watch the pre workout supplements. They are loaded with caffeine. And drink lots of water. Both my brother and I had kidney troubles with heavy supplement use. So, drink a gallon or so of water a day to keep the excess creative, caffeine, and protein washed out. God Bless

02-Jun-17
With increasing age I see both running and HEAVY pack training to have diminishing returns or even negative results (injury). I've busted more elk by moving too fast than moving too slow. I'm never going to out condition an elk and I'm not packing one out in 2 or 3 trips. In fact, I was pretty happy with 5 trips last season. An elk liver, heart and tongue is almost a separate trip for me!

I like working out (weights, walking, backpacking, cycling) and I think 12 month consistency is the key. I'm very thankful that Cameron Hanes-type fitness isn't required to hunt and kill elk.

02-Jun-17
Guys, if you're near a Koko fit club, give it a try. It's a way of getting a workout without getting hurt in the process.

02-Jun-17
Irishman there are no negatives to being in really good shape though

03-Jun-17
If I was Bigdan, I'd have no problems sitting in a tree now and waiting for the next wall hanger to add to his 50+ already. Many of us dream about finding that next overlooked honeyhole a short jaunt off a road. Until then, lots of boot leather and making sure my bod isn't the one packing it in before it's time to pack one out (and for sure then) seems like the most sensible approach.

03-Jun-17
Great info guys. I am now 54 yo and find like most we must get in shape and Stay there. Finally found some great info on the web regarding "old guy" weight routines. Doing this 3 times per week/3 different workouts. Really working for me. I have doubled my deadlift in the last 8 weeks. For those of you oldguys like me you may be interested in this lift as it is started with the weight/bar elevated--easier on the back and really works the whole body. I use the old army ammo boxes on their side to set the weight on--works great, you can adjust height and looks pretty cool too. I try to do something every day--no rest days but I will do active recovery by riding an indoor bike the day after my hevy lift days. Feels great to get that sweat going and you do not blast the legs. I also mix in stretching, more ab work, using a rowing machine for warm ups and cardio , using a treadmill for warmups and cardio and then fitting in some jogging and weighted pack hikes. Feelin pretty good but my goal is to be able to pack out my own kill this year if I have some luck. Gunna keep at it. Luv the west and elk hunting.

04-Jun-17
I will add, at 62 I stretch out for 15 minutes 7 days a week even on rest days. My workouts in the 3-4 days a week run aprox 2 hours. Working out is not a chore for me so I really look forward to them. It does make it more doable that I can do this at home so no travel time! These year around workouts is what has helped keep me in the game. I don't feel I've really lost anything yet, I Run & Gun the same now as I did 20 years ago. Maybe I was slow then too! (grin) Keep the "Fire" burning guys!

ElkNut1

04-Jun-17
Do a lot of hiking with weighted pack, lots of reps. with lighter weights, but at 77, I am like a old bucking horse, don't jump as high or buck as hard. Peter.

04-Jun-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Never pass up a high heat and humidity afternoon to get in some misery miles....92 deg., full sun.

#embracethesuck ;-)

04-Jun-17
Second week of deadlifts. They have become my favorite excercise. Feel a little weird setting up my phone to record my sets but it's a great way to make sure the lift is being performed correctly. 5 sets of 2 or 3 at 315. I can already feel my hams, gluts and back. Hopefully I can walk tomorrow!!!

04-Jun-17
Stealthycat, I agree no negatives. I just spent the last 3 days hiking the mountains in central Montana. It won't make me a better hunter, and it won't turn me into a 30 year old again, with 30 year old knees, but it will help me keep doing what I'm doing.

05-Jun-17
I agree with WV Mountaineer. I worked out on an elliptical all winter that I could up the resistance on and it just burned my quads big time. I noticed I had a much easier time transitioning to my 3 mile runs in the spring. I also kept at summer weight (read didn't put on the winter pounds) throughout the winter.

05-Jun-17
Midwest I was out there as well, I done 10.4 miles but cheated. I ran in town on the bike path were it was partially shaded.

05-Jun-17
Nice work, Scrappy!

05-Jun-17

I packed a 4.5 year old in my ExoMountain yesterday up a popular local incline trail. She's a talkative load!

05-Jun-17
She looks like a firecracker native oakie!

05-Jun-17
Stretching - very important. Sometimes I will sacrifice sleep to get the back, glutes, and calves (especially) stretched. Shoulders I do all the time in doorways etc. Was hiking with my wife and noticed that if you do stepdowns (aka reverse leg presses) on a steep downhill s-l-o-w-l-y it really hammers the thighs. Speaking of elk shape and then some, how about the guy Alex Honnold that just free solo'ed El Capitan in Yosemite? That's one movie I've gotta see. Before he (probably) gets killed.

06-Jun-17
Howdy, I'm a respiratory therapist and this is my 5th year trying to get an elk to die......HA! Live in Austin, Texas. The best training I have done (including standard workouts are very similar to yours) is carrying a pack with 40 pounds of weight, every day. My first two trips out west, I found, no matter the workout, I was good for day 2 and into 3. But its the grind of 5-7 days. I didn't calculate how physically demanding carrying a heavy pack, for multiple days, would be. So, I ramp up 6 weeks from departure date carrying my pack up any hills and any thing, but making sure I get 4-5 miles per day, 5 days a week. 2 weeks before departure I go 2.5+ in the morning and 2.5+ in the afternoon, heavy pack, to simulate what will happen to me. 48 years old, resting heart rate is 52. Never been in better shape. Travel is usually a 2 day deal - that's a rest period getting into elk country.

- Ranch Fairy Out

Starting Message: LUNG$HOT-

For those of us who don't have the luxury of walking out of our front door into the wilderness with a pack on to train, what are you doing to prepare for elk season? Gym, walk/run outside, biking/cycling, all or none of the above?

As for me, my job is fairly physical but I also like hitting the gym for some extra cardio, lunges, weighted step ups, and my worst nightmare.... the stair climber with a weighted pack. I'm not much of a "weight lifter" but use dumb bells for lunges and step ups. Soon I'll start with my bike outdoors and some running as well. This is my official workout t-shirt for motivation! Ha

08-Jun-17
I did beachers with a 40# pack for 35 minutes Then played hard competitive racquetball for 1:45 minutes

wow .... I can still do it at 48, I just do't recover as fast as I use to and I hurt more

09-Jun-17

LINK's embedded Photo
Above treeline at 5500' SD. Lol
LINK's embedded Photo
Above treeline at 5500' SD. Lol
Okie I usually make my wife carry the dead weight.

09-Jun-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Just kidding the 35 pounder rode up on my shoulders. The mile hike with over 700 vertical feet from the cabin was the highlight of our mt Rushmore trip. We were trying to see the side profile of the presidents from the north but when we got close to the top we were cliffed out.

09-Jun-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I carried the light one down and let my middle child walk most of the way, at some points carrying both. Once back a nap was in order.

09-Jun-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Grand staircase Utah or as my then 4 year old called it "bear mountain", 4 years ago when the loads were a bit lighter.

12-Jun-17
I workout year round almost everyday. weights, hiking and do a boxing routine.

12-Jun-17
and .... my 2 surgeries left knee is giving me problems ... :( dammit this body getting old thing sucks

• Sitka Gear