LBshooter 19-Jun-17
schmitjj1 20-Jun-17
ahunter55 23-Jun-17
Charlie Rehor 23-Jun-17
Franzen 23-Jun-17
jstephens61 23-Jun-17
LBshooter 23-Jun-17
30-May-17
Can anyone make a recommendation on where to bowhunt deer on PUBLIC LAND in Northern Illinois 1-2hours away from Chicago? I was hoping to get in on a deer lease but my search has been futile.

30-May-17
Hey Jim, I live in Crystal Lake. Even though I hunt a piece of private property, there are a few public state parks. The two I have hunted in the past are Castle Rock and Lowden Miller which are south of Rockford. There are also some in Joe Davies County in the northwest part of the state. I would go to the Illinois Department Natural Resourses or find a previous regulations handbook......they do have a list of all the state parks stating their size, what game species can be hunted, etc. Good luck and safe hunting!

30-May-17
Try also Shabbona State Park. It's southwest of Dekalb off US 30.

31-May-17
schmit, In case you are unaware, the quality on anything within 2 hours of Chicago will be poor. They just get too much pressure. Where exactly do you live? I'll send you a PM.

01-Jun-17
Get on idnr website click on public hunting areas click on NE section of map bingo all areas listed !

17-Jun-17
Thanks All, much appreciated.

17-Jun-17
Plenty of trophy size bucks on public land, you just have to be a really good Hunter to shoot one, as mentioned, pressure is high.

17-Jun-17
Or be lucky and be at the right place at the right time.

17-Jun-17
Of the three sites that were mentioned (Castle Rock, Lowden Miller, Shabbona) do you know if there is a daily limit on the number of hunters allowed on the property? And whether these properties are hunted hard enough where this would be a concern? I'd hate to drive 2 hours up on a Saturday morning only to be turned around because a quote is filled.

17-Jun-17
Found a good link to most of the sites that have been mentioned... http://engineeredpursuit.com/illinois-public-hunting-areas/

18-Jun-17
I can't speak for the others, but I'm pretty sure Shabbona has a limit.

18-Jun-17
Shabonna gets a lot of pressure. Desplaines consevation area and midwain used to hold a lot of deer and have decent bucks every year. But they also get a ton of pressure. The latest time I hunted desplaines conservation was about 5 years ago I did an all day sit in my climber from before sunrise til after sunset in the N/W section. Every time I saw movement and pulled up my binoculars it was a hunter walking. Some came right past and others were in the distance walking the old railroad tracks. That day I saw 13 hunters 1 doe with a yearling running when they got bumped. That was it for me. Last time at midewin the following year saw lots of hunters and few deer. Unfortunately anything near Chicagoland is gonna be crowded. Best bet is trying to get out midweek early season. First 2 weeks of November everything is packed all the time.

18-Jun-17
Shabonna has a limit of 29 hunters. A buddy of mine died out their in 2012 falling out of his treestand. He hunted out there for years and there are quality animals running around. The problem is that there was a group of regulars that hunt and they think it's their land. They play all sorts of games, like signing in ghost names to keep people out, scent bombing areas if they want to get rid of ahunter and other bs games. Wouldn't waste my time driving out there, unless you camp overnight and are the first few in line. Also, they hunters out there seem to think they can call their buck, and tell others not to shoot it because they saw it first lol. Low den Miller I have heard good things about but have never hunted it, and the Joliet training area is a qdma area, and a buck has to have at least 4 points on one side. Qualifying has come and gone, and you have to have a site permit. They always kill some nice deer out there every year, last year I believe they shot a 17 point. A buddy of mine hunts starved rock and likes it, so you need to get out and hunt. The one thing I can tell you is that you'll get meat if you want it. Also , chain of lakes has some really nice deer and lots of does running, but most of these places have bird hunters 5 days a week, so the deer get pushed around pretty well. Anyway you look at it, you have plenty of places to choose from and get out and hunt.

18-Jun-17
LB, wow sorry to hear about your friend. Do you know the circumstances? Wearing a harness, climber or fixed stand? Safety is always my priority.

I had so so many problems with public land squatters I got a CC and now carry my Glock wherever legal. Made sure the CO's know it and now they pay attention when I complain.

18-Jun-17

schmitjj1's embedded Photo
I missed the JTA opportunity, I found out about the qualifier the same day it was happening and couldn't make it out there in time. From the sounds of it Shabbona and Des Plains may be wastes of time... not because there are deer, just too much pressure from hunters and clubs. I took a look at Midewin from Google earth, seems like a lot of wide open territory and fence rows??? I didn't see what I would say was large tracts of woods like found on others. I'll keep looking, hopefully something opens up to fill my fall after my elk guiding season in CO comes to an end.

19-Jun-17
Fixed stand, no harness and stand shifted while he was reaching for an arrow. Broke his neck on the fall very sad and a lesson to all who don't wear safety harness, it's just a matter of time.

20-Jun-17

My 2008 Archery Bull - Public Land Unit 70 Colorado
My 2008 Archery Bull - Public Land Unit 70 Colorado
Thanks to all who've contributed and given me advice on public land spots, I am very thankful

23-Jun-17
Just down from Lowden Miller there is a Archery only area by Lost Nation (name evades me). When I lived in Ill. I bowhunted all these areas. We always seemed to see Deer & a few good bucks. The thing is Castle Rock, Lowden Miller & the other archery only place are all within about a half hour of each other. If you have a boat, put in at Castle Rock (Rock River) & go across to Lowden Miller, back side & that puts you where most wont walk in that far. It's 5 min run across the river. Get a DNR hunting regs & all these places are listed.

23-Jun-17
70 is a lot of fun. Congrats!

23-Jun-17
ahunter's advice may sound tempting, but just make sure current rules are followed. I believe all state property hunting now requires a "windshield" card. You may be able to place the card in/on your boat somehow if you do something like this (maybe just leave it at the truck and trailer; not sure on the requirements), but some properties also require that you park in the designated areas. Some of the rules are pretty silly, considering I don't know of any law that requires you to drive a vehicle to the property. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can count on LEO common sense in this day and age. Just give the rules and regulations a look if you are the type that cares about these things.

23-Jun-17
Windshield cards are available online.

23-Jun-17
Dirty little secret is that there are good bucks at all of the public areas, just have to hunt smarter and harder.

• Sitka Gear