Barrera 02-Jun-17
JW 03-Jun-17
nmwapiti 03-Jun-17
butcherboy 03-Jun-17
tobinsghost 06-Jun-17
nmwapiti 08-Jun-17
JW 09-Jun-17
31-May-17
Equipment gurus, I'm looking for a little advice. I've been shooting standard FMJs and G5 Strykers for a long time. I picked up some 4mm deep six FMJs to try a couple years back. My main complaint was a lack of good broadheads in the deep six config so I switched back to 5mms. I just got the bearings replaced on my Hoyt (they were buzzing pretty bad) and it changed my tuning. I'm trying to get it dialed back in, but my 340 shafts aren't spined right any more (noticeable fishtailing that I can't correct without moving the rest pretty far off dead center). I'm messing with the poundage trying to fix it and I'll try some 300s and 400s tomorrow. THE POINT OF THIS THREAD...I was also considering trying the 4mms again, but this time with outserts. I can use my trusted G5 broadheads and shift my FOC a little forward at the same time. Anyone have any advice along those lines?

31-May-17
I shoot Firenock outserts glued on with hotmelt on Injexion 330 shafts with two Injexion steel inserts installed for weight. They fly fine with 3 Blazers and fixed blade broadheads.

31-May-17
Best to start from the basics when it comes to tuning your Hoyt. I'd first want to make sure your bow tech replaced the cam spacers in the exact same configuration and thickness as the factory set-up. This is especially critical on the bottom cam, since you can't otherwise remove cam lean on the lower cam. Then set everything to specs based on the tuning chart. Get the draw stops timed. Put the rest on center shot. Then yoke tune. You should be able to tune the bow with any shaft that meets the minimum stiffness recommendation for your set-up. I generally prefer one size stiffer than recommended.

31-May-17
I checked all the usual dimensions. Axle to axle is good. Draw stops are good. Rest is at center. I knew I didn't want to get far from that. Yokes look good without any lean on top. I'll have to look into the spacers. No idea what they're supposed to be. The shop said they replace a lot of bearings on Hoyts. If it matters it's a Spyder 34. I can usually get any spine from 300 to 400 to shoot with field points. It was shooting field points and broadheads the same with 340s at about 63 pounds. Draw length 29.5. With that history, you're probably right, there's something else going on. Thanks for the tips.

31-May-17
I shot the old Bemans for years. I think what you will find is poor tolerances with the outserts...it really is the weak spot in that system.

If you really want to shoot that system you will probably be better off using the high $$ inserts.

01-Jun-17
Kurt nailed it, firenock outserts are excellent and will work great with your injexions.

01-Jun-17
If you want to stay away from inserts the trocar deep 6 is a great choice .You got something else going on 4mm with deep six is a great choice also or the same head with the injection shaft. I have shot all those combinations and they will all work as long as your bow is set up correctly.

01-Jun-17
I also use the steel fireknock half outs. I tried the aluminum ones but they tend to bend or break if adding brass inserts behind them. The steel ones are 55gn, make for a very strong end up front. I shoot FMJ 300's.

01-Jun-17
Yessir, the halfouts are the way to go. I use them on all my shafts now, like the micro diameter shafts, just always hated the outserts. Call Doug at Firenock...

02-Jun-17
I've had great luck with the Goldtip Pierce arrows and their outsert system!

02-Jun-17
Stick, your advice was spot on. A little yoke tuning and they are flying like darts again. Now sounds like I need to try out some firenocks...

02-Jun-17
After 3-4 years of shooting the Firenock outserts...another vote for them...

Mark

02-Jun-17
I've shot the fmjs for a few years until this season. I tried the black eagle rampage with the stainless half out inserts. About 3" more penetration. But got the 300 spine .001 Great arrows

03-Jun-17
If I was going to use an outsert Firenock would be my only consideration. Great tolerances, tough and work as advertised.

I've been trying some deep six heads again and I'm really impressed with the WACem 3 blades. Every head has spun true, they're tough, blades are scary sharp and they are super accurate. My bow is shooting 310 fps and they are shooting right with field points with very little tuning. Also come in a 4 pack. Great heads, maybe give them a look.

03-Jun-17
All right JW. I have almost 2 dozen 4mm shafts. Would like to find a good setup for them. I ordered a pack of WACems. We'll see how they fly. The best head I tried last time was Muzzy Trocars. They flew okay, but with the blade channel all the way through the ferrule, they weren't tough enough to suit me especially for a bone hit on big critters. Had one pretty much come apart on a whitetail bone hit.

03-Jun-17
I've been looking at the firenock half out inserts as well. I shoot Easton Hexx arrows. Easton lists them as a 6mm diameter arrow. Anyone know what the inside diameter is? I'm thinking I saw it somewhere listed as .233? I'm shooting a 50 grain brass insert with ab125 grain broadheads. I want to try a 150 grain broadhead with a 20 to 30 grain insert.

06-Jun-17

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
QAD Exodus work just fine for me! Elk, bear and soon African animals!

08-Jun-17
JW, got my wac-ems in yesterday. Looked good. Put them on my deep six fmj's and shot them this morning. Flew great. Couple minor tweaks and I was slicing the vanes off my field point arrows at 40 yards. I really like the brass collar rather than a couple washers to hold the rear of the blade in place. They spin test like a champ. No more playing mix and match. Think I have a winner for this fall.

09-Jun-17
Jason, glad to hear they worked for ya. They really are a great broadhead.

• Sitka Gear