Scrappy 01-Jun-17
Irishman 01-Jun-17
Bigdan 01-Jun-17
pop-r 01-Jun-17
IowaHawkeye 01-Jun-17
Barty1970 02-Jun-17
Florida Mike 02-Jun-17
01-Jun-17
Notwithstanding the recent hard winter and likely winterkill reducing elk numbers, I'm looking at the MT fish and game elk harvest estimates for the 2015 and 2016 seasons with a view to selecting unit[s] and would be grateful for clarification as to how to find archery harvest stats for non-residents...am I correct in taking the number of elk killed with a bow, dividing by the number of non-res hunters multiplied by 100? Eg in unit 388 for 2016, there were 16 non-res hunters and 3 elk killed with a bow...3/16 = 0.1875 x 100 = 18.75% Any and all assistance greatly appreciated.

01-Jun-17
I'm just beginning my research as well, I didn't see where it gave the number killed by weapon, just total harvest. As well as the numbers they post were not accurate due to the fact Montana dose not have any kind of maditory check-in procedure.

For those in the know could ya share a little in site on this subject for us newbies.

01-Jun-17
I'm pretty sure that they just do surveys of hunters to estimate the harvest. Most of the time I miss their calls. I'm not sure what percentage of people they actually contact to get their statistics.

01-Jun-17
Yes they call a few hunters then they come out with there results. Its only a gess

01-Jun-17
They say they're pretty accurate surveys. I haven't a clue if that's the case or not.

01-Jun-17
My buddy and I hunted Montana last year. I harvested and he did not. I answered the phone call and he did not. Like stated above, just a guess. Would be great if they did mandatory reporting in my opinion. FWIW

02-Jun-17

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
Thanks guys; given we can only take MT's stats at face value, my original question relates to how best to interrogate the figures to get the information to help plan which unit[s] give the non-res bowhunter the best/least worst chance of taking an elk

Taking the first Hunting District in Region 1, 100, as another example...173 NRs took a total of 12 elk [all bulls], 3 of which were taken with a bow...so a success of 1.73% for NR archery??

Math was never my best subject at school...

02-Jun-17
Out of the 173nrs how many hunted with a bow?

• Sitka Gear