Buck Watcher 05-Jun-17
wildwilderness 05-Jun-17
Mike the Carpenter 06-Jun-17
Lady Bowhunter 06-Jun-17
Bull-Tipper 07-Jun-17
Candor 09-Jun-17
Mike the Carpenter 01-Oct-17
02-Jun-17
I've come to you guys for some advice on a kid's 1st compound (I know Internet advice isn't always scholarly).

I'm a longbow/wood arrow guy, always been, probably always will be, BUT my son just passed his initiation into the bowhunting world by being able to pull back my wife's old (2001/02) Browning Micro compound set at 35#. He is 13, and the draw length is completely maxed out. He has tried the past 3 years to draw the bow, but was unable to do it in true hunting for (left arm extended and drawn with his back while keeping the arrow on target), but last night, when he got it back, he was happier than he has ever been on any Christmas Morning.

He got his first job at our neighborhood beach doing cleanup a month and 1/2 ago, and he is really working his back muscles, and he never realized...even after me telling him...that work produces muscles.

Now, here is my question...What is a good compound bow for me to get for him? Yes, he could use the Browning Micro, but I believe he will quickly outgrow the bow and I want to get ahead of the game and go with an adjustable 40-50# weight. Do any of you have some suggestions what used bows/arrow combinations to look for? If all goes well, I plan to have him hunting deer this fall. I'm not pushing him, he is pushing me WHICH I LOVE!!!!!

I wish I knew more about compounds so I could fully help him, but I figured I'd tap into the knowledge of Bowsite to quicken my learning curve.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

02-Jun-17
I'm happy with my Mission Hype DT. Plenty of draw length/weight adjustment. Quiet bow as well. Reasonably priced and not too heavy. Funny, my boy tries the same with my bow because I told him that as soon as he can hold it steady with good form I'll drop the draw weight and give him the bow. He's only 8 so I'm safe for a few years :)

I know most of the other major manufactures make an ultra-adjustable bow so I think your good with any of the $400 or up versions from the rest of the crowd. I think you get a bit more bow with the Mission but that's just my view.

02-Jun-17
We've had the bear apprentice and been happy with it. Plenty of adjustability for what you're looking for. My son is 13 going on 14 and was gifted the pink Mathews craze so the bear is available for loan only if you want to try it for a year or two before going to a "real bow". You pay for shipping there and back when you're done. It will come with six arrows as well. I'd give it to you but I want to give it to my nephew and he's still a few years away. Let me know if you want it.

02-Jun-17
Good for you Crusader! That's a heck of a nice offer! I have a lot of experience with the Bear apprentice, it's a great little bow. Plenty of zip to kill deer and turkeys.

If you want to buy I'd look at the Mission Craze or Hype, Diamond Infinite Edge, Hoyt Klash, or Bear Cruzer.

02-Jun-17
He killed his first buck with it last year. From the ground, less than five yard shot! Sorry, comes with five arrows cause we sent that one to Addisons family. He's only ever shot it out to 23 yds. Comes with sight and three prong rest. Both my boys used it but only the youngest gets to call himself a bowhunter! The oldest just slept in and enjoyed my inlaws spoiling him. I'd love for someone to kill another "something" with it so if MTC doesn't take it it will be up for grabs. Same deal though, give me your word you'll send it back after the second bow season. My nephew is 9 now. He'll be the next recipient. Also, if you kill, you MUST post the story on bowsite.

02-Jun-17
Shane, thank you, that is an awesome offer, and one that was completely unexpected. Sadly, I have to pass. You see, I also have an 11 year old who will also be shooting the bow as my 13 year old outgrows it...or at least that's the plan.

That is why I came here to get some ideas so that I don't waste my money. Now, once they want to switch over to traditional, I've got them covered.

Thank you for the offer, and also for the bows to look into.

02-Jun-17
No worries man, i bought that bow for a "passer downer." I just figured it'd be nice to see it used instead of on the wall in my man cave for the next two years while I wait for family to grow. My boy would still use it if he hadn't been given the upgrade.

04-Jun-17
Maybe look at the Darton Ranger, or Maverick. (1 of them replaced the other)

04-Jun-17
I can speak for the Mission Craze. I set it up for my little sister when she was 12 and she's used it for the past 3 seasons and killed 2 deer with it. It's very adjustable and she shot it well. Good luck! My daughter is less only 18 months so I've got some time until I can train her in.

05-Jun-17
See if Parker Bows is still marketing (and making) the Buckshot model youth bow. It's got a very broad draw length adjustment and they'll upgrade limbs ad the child's strength increases.

We've known several Dad's who've taken that route to fill the "which bow" quest with success.

The Quest STORM may also work.

05-Jun-17
Mission Craze.

05-Jun-17
Mission - Lots of DL & DW adjustment. AND a real lifetime warranty.

05-Jun-17
Have experience with both the Mission Craze and Diamond infinite edge. I'd recommend shooting both and seeing which one holds better for the kid.

06-Jun-17
I appreciate all the replies, gives us a lot of bows to look into. Looks like I came to the right place.

06-Jun-17
I recommend the Quest Storm. I shoot one and it has lots of adjustability for draw weight and draw length.

07-Jun-17
I bought my daughter a Diamond Infinite Edge. It shoots pretty good for a beginner bow. She's 14 and shooting 30 lbs. like it's nothing and is pretty good with it considering. Bow , 6 arrows, nice release we walked out just under $500. Definitely one to consider.

09-Jun-17
Mission Craze - My wife, daughter and son have one. The adjustability of DL and wt. are easy.

01-Oct-17

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Well, patience paid off. Was browsing through Craig's List this morning, and found a brand new Bear Cruzer Blaze listed for $350, and needed it gone ASAP.

Not really needing one, I called and offered $200 just to see what "ASAP" meant to him. To my surprise he said he'd take it because he needed the $ for tickets to the Michigan/Michigan State game coming up.

I wasn't even gonna ask to give him time to think, so I drove my son to meet him. When he opened the case, the price tag was still on it.

My son chipped in $50 from his birthday money yesterday, so he has some ownership and we drove away happy shoppers.

Went straight to Bass Pro to get it set up properly and also show me how it's all done...which by the way is amazingly simple. Then we spent a hour at our home range getting acquainted with his new bow.

In all, being patient and asking the right guys for advice paid off. Thank you all for the recommendations. Now to get him confident in his abilities and also get a deer in front of him. Probably gonna get a coat of spray paint, to tone down the orange, next year.

The bow adjusts from 19"-30" draw and 5#-70#. He should be set till he decides to kick the wheels and go back to traditional.

• Sitka Gear