WapitiBob 18-Jun-17
Mathewsshootr2 18-Jun-17
Mathewsshootr2 18-Jun-17
HDE 18-Jun-17
Hunting5555 21-Jun-17
GotBowAz 21-Jun-17
midwest 21-Jun-17
03-Jun-17
I recently replaced my strings, and now my peep is way out of alignment. Is there any fixes I can easily do without taking it back to the shop? I don't have the necessary equipment to press a bow and re-tie the peep myself or twist the strings to fix the issue.

Thanks.

03-Jun-17
Not really. If you don't want to keep visiting the shop, I'd suggest you go ahead and at least get a portable bow press like a Bowmaster. Search google and you should be able to find one for about 40 bucks.

03-Jun-17
One of the best archery related purchases was a bow press, screw driving a hour to wait an hour to have my peep turned back! Or try shooting without a peep

03-Jun-17
Get yourself a press and learn to do your bow work at home. One of the best investments you can make. It will make you a better archer! You can learn to do about everything by watching YouTube anymore. Besides that it's fun too!

03-Jun-17
Can't imagine owning a compound and not at least having a portable press. You can even make a cheap one with 2x4's and a pipe clamp.

03-Jun-17
So what do you recommend for a portable press? Do you need one for your specific bow or are they universal. I have a Halon 32 and an Elite Synergy. Thx

03-Jun-17
I think any press out there would press the elite, the halon ive heard is trickier. I have a pac portable press that works on my prodigy. You could look into the synunm press its a rope and pulley system.

03-Jun-17
Bowmaster should work ok, you'd just need to buy the split limb brackets. Works good with my Hoyt CST which has parallel limbs. Bows with past-parallel limb configuration makes the Bowmaster press a little more dicey to use, but guys have reported here that it still works ok.

03-Jun-17
Charlie, the bow master should work. Elite's are very easy to press. The Halon will need the wide split limb brackets as mentioned but once that is accomplished it should be pretty easy too.

03-Jun-17
"Get yourself a press and learn to do your bow work at home." -Couldn't agree more. I recommend the Last Chance Archery EZ Green bow press.

03-Jun-17
I shoot a PSE and just recently had a new string put on. Damn peep rotated on me. i'm pretty much retarded and get frustrated with stuff like that. Hooked up my portable bowmaster press and twisted the string, bam.. done.. i'm a genius. "U CAN DO IT"

03-Jun-17
You didn't mention the brand of string you put on.

There are some that don't stretch (which turns your string)

03-Jun-17
Retie the d loop in a position that has the peep right when you are at full draw.

03-Jun-17
EZ Press Green....you will never regret spending the $400. Quick, easy, safe.

03-Jun-17
I was dealing with serious peep rotation.... it was the d-loop causing the issue

03-Jun-17
In the mean time shoot your bow to help strings settle or you may have to realign it. I'm guessing that is why your peep rotated to begin with.

03-Jun-17
X2 on the ez green press, love mine

03-Jun-17
"EZ Press Green....you will never regret spending the $400. Quick, easy, safe."

100% agree

03-Jun-17
+10000 for the LCA EZ Green Press. Best thing I ever did.

03-Jun-17
If your peep is turning to much to the left. Twist your string loop if you got one . It will twist just try it. Moving the string is best. But a quick fix is just twisting your loop.

04-Jun-17
You'll need a press to add a partial twist to the string. Your peep should be facing straight back at brace and not move when you draw. Good strings don't rotate, ever.

04-Jun-17
With a new string, suggest shooting the bow 100+ times, not worrying about the peep. Then either buy a press (EZ Green for me) and start your own bow maintenance or go back to the shop and have them adjust. Stay there and shoot several until all is correct.

D-loop, string twist, and/or peep rotation all may be needed.

I've learned a bunch from my local pro shop, folks on here, reading the book "Nuts & Bolts of Archery, and researching Youtube.

Good luck.

04-Jun-17
Peeps, aren't they those little sugar covered marshmallow treats we get at Easter?

04-Jun-17
JusPassin,, Peeps means friends and if your a nonresident of Colorado.. You have no peeps from Colorado... :)

04-Jun-17
Thanks for all of the replies. I have been thinking about buying a EZ Green Press and Vice for a while now. I would like to get more involved with my equipment but am a little freaked out. I do like the Nock On Archery page, which does a good job of explaining bow related maintenance. I guess it's time to start saving and setting up a home shop. Thanks for everyone's recommendations.

04-Jun-17
I have a press but rarely use it, I have a shop 15 minutes away and it is just as easy to go use theirs. then i can just stay and shoot indoors.! Scooby

09-Jun-17
Pull your bow to full draw have some one put a Allan wrench in a hole in the wheel slowly let it down the wheel will pinch the wrench on the limb the string will be loose spend the string to make adjustments works in a pinch BE CAREFULL

09-Jun-17
Mathewsshootr2 - maybe 20 years ago with the old 2 by 4 limbs. No way I would do this on a 500 dollar plus bow with the high performance limbs of today. Asking for trouble. Get a good press that will do it right or go to a shop.

09-Jun-17
I do it every day on my C4 but, better make sure the cam system will let you do it. And it'll mark your limb.

10-Jun-17
Like I said it will work in a pinch I rap my tool with shirk tub or duct tape

12-Jun-17
1. Get Bow Press 2. Press Bow 3. Pull Peep. 4. Throw in trash 5. Get large kisser button, install 1" above D loop. Easy! 6. Solved forever.

Seriously. One of the greatest things for indoor target archery, is a prop. One of the WORST THINGS for hunting is a peep.

12-Jun-17
I have a Mathews Creed that I bought used. I took the peep out twice to adjust, turn and tied it in without a press. It was pretty darn easy after watching a 15 minute Youtube video. I did however need a press to change cams. Love the idea of the packable presses.

13-Jun-17

13-Jun-17
If you have string silencers, just slide them up or down the string. This will cause the peep to rotate. Once it is in the proper position, retie your D-loop to correspond to the peep and you will have no more rotation problem.

14-Jun-17
I have had a generic bow press for many years. I purchased an Elite Synergy recently and the press would not work. The limbs were too parallel. I purchased an EZ Green and highly recommend it. Too bad they weren't around when I purchased my first press. The comment about any press will press an Elite is not true, gotta have one that will press parallel limbs

14-Jun-17
WW is correct. If it is just out of position and not spinning wildly you can slide a string silencer or install a small piece of serving in the opening above the peep. You can then force it between the two halves and slid it up and down the string to get the peep to turn. Google Reo Wilde and you will almost always see a piece of serving in his string. It serves two purposes, adjusting peep rotation and it marks the center of a solid colored string.

14-Jun-17
I started shooting without a peep and can't believe I didn't start sooner, installed a kisser and don't see any difference in accuracy.

18-Jun-17

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
This has worked for me. Easy

Get it as good as you can under the press and then just to be sure tie the d-loop with a "tail" of about 1/8" on one of the knots instead of no tail. Position the d-loop in such a way that the peep, at full draw, is perfect aligned with your eye and then serve the "tail" against the string in that position so that there is no way that d-loop will ever rotate and have the peeP misaligned.

ON THIS PICTURE THE SERVED TAIL, SECURED FLAT ALONG THE CENTER SERVING, IS TO THE RIGHT.

When doing this it makes no difference how the peep is position when the bow is at rest, but when drawn it will be perfectly aligned every time. Just insurance, but it will not fail.

18-Jun-17
Now that tail is a great idea!

18-Jun-17
Thanks to Bou, I am going to get a new D-Loop and some tail !!

18-Jun-17
Back in the 70's we served in our loop rather than tied them on.

18-Jun-17
There were releases in the 70's?

18-Jun-17
^^^ Kinda what I was thinking...

18-Jun-17
One of the many things I like about my APA bow that many other bow manufactures may not offer, you do not need a bow press to work on your strings or cables. When I replaced my peep myself, I rotated the upper string loop 1/2 turn or so to get the correct peep alignment. It didn't mess up the cam timing at all.

https://apaarchery.com/exclusive-features/#camlock ""Cam Lock APA’s innovative Cam Lock allows the average archer to replace strings or cables, make adjustments, install accessories and tune their bow without the need of a standard bow press. Saving a service call to NASA.""

18-Jun-17
yep, ledges, rope/spike to name a few. Buncha kids on this site.

18-Jun-17

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo

18-Jun-17

18-Jun-17

Mathewsshootr2's embedded Photo
Mathewsshootr2's embedded Photo

18-Jun-17
"1971"

Guess it's cause I didn't really get into "modern archery" until the 80's.

21-Jun-17
I actually saw guys using several of those releases in the mid-80's when I was in high school shooting indoor leagues. But generally, the rope models we shot without D-loops. Just wrapped around the string directly.

Bou, thanks for the idea! Hadn't heard of that one. Rather than a crimp on nock, I have been using one of the nocks with a little tab on the back. Besides being insurance on peep rotation, it also helps keep the D-loop from pinching the arrow too much.

21-Jun-17
You do not need a bow press to change the angle of your peep. After shooting your bow a few times, recommend 40 plus time after replacing string, Just remove the top serving over your peep, insert a string through the hole above the peep and pull it up the twist until the peep straightens out. Leave the string in place and tie it off and reserve your peep. If it's off just a little you can also just reserve your peep in the direction it needs to go, that can help too.

21-Jun-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Killed my first few deer with this one before switching over to that ball bearing Pro Release.

• Sitka Gear