elkman52 05-Jun-17
t-roy 05-Jun-17
Buckiller 05-Jun-17
Zim1 06-Jun-17
Zim1 06-Jun-17
MQQSE 06-Jun-17
12yards 06-Jun-17
03-Jun-17
Just burnt 5 points for zone 5. Haven't been there since 2010 and can't wait to go back. Just wondering how many bowsiters are applying?

04-Jun-17
First year of actually applying. Have accumulated enough points to draw a different unit--I hope. I would like to be in Iowa this November.

04-Jun-17
Just another point for me. Soon as I line up some property I will be cashing them. Hopefully that's next year.

04-Jun-17
Starting over in Iowa this year....bought point #1.

04-Jun-17
I am sitting on 5 points and applied in zone 4 , should have no problem drawing a tag . Cant wait for sweet November .

04-Jun-17
I bought another point to give me 3. I am pretty sure I will draw next year for the unit I want. Scooby

04-Jun-17
Just bought number 4 ! Soon !

04-Jun-17
Put in for zone 5 with 3 points. Good luck to all in the draw!

04-Jun-17
Good luck to all of you guys!

04-Jun-17
I'm in for this year. Keeping fingers crossed with 3 pts. Good luck to all.

04-Jun-17
Also hoping to draw with 3 points. Been hunting as a NR there since 1990. Disappointed when Huntin Fool began promoting it a few years ago. That caused a delayed point creep that you are beginning to see now. Was at 2 points most my first 20 years but before you know it it's going to be like Colorado elk point creep. I'm reading about a lot of these first timers who now have the points to draw, but haven't devoted even one day to scouting. Crazy.

04-Jun-17
I'm in. Should be better than 50% odds as far as I can tell. I wish Iowa would post better statistics so we could calculate/guess better. Not including exactly how many people in the lowest point pool and the point pools that didn't draw decreases the ability to calculate odds.

04-Jun-17
For those of you first timers to Iowa. Just curious if you intend to hunt public land? And have you scouted? Or intend to power scout two days before your hunt? And how many are from our west that started applying due to HF. Just curious.

Iowa manages their public land a bit different from what you may be used to................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYKlpCgTfAM&ebc=ANyPxKoT4o_Efce2U522BJVgYsDEpGnf2cceqDLD9SwJdAQ65Zr6k-bWEtTvJ6jf8E0m54pnbDIfOey0fcHWsPp4CcrRzyN2EA

When there's lead in the air, there's always hope.

04-Jun-17
I've never even been to HF's website. I was offered access to a colleague's family farm to hunt. I'll be hunting that farm and public land depending on wind direction.

04-Jun-17
Just purchased another point, have 6 now. Maybe next year...

04-Jun-17
I'm also in the draw for Zone 5 with 3 points. Good luck everyone!

04-Jun-17
put in for zone 4 with 3 points.

04-Jun-17
I have scouted a bit out where I want to hunt, but I also have found a couple other spots that look real promising and talked to a couple locals and they said the spots I am looking at get little if any pressure. Scooby

04-Jun-17
I'm a resident, so I don't have to draw (thank goodness cause I can't draw a premium tag out west to save my soul)! I see some guys keep buying more points with 5-6 +points banked. I've never heard of it taking more than 4 points going into the draw to pull a tag in the hardest zones to draw. Has anyone not drawn with 4 pp? Also curious why some guys keep banking points when they already seem to have enough to draw? Concerns that it may take more points to draw down the road? Just curious.

04-Jun-17
t-roy, I asked one guy about that who had 6 points. He said it was just in case they opened some new public property special hunt, or if IDNR came out with some point cheapening scheme like all the western states have done (Such as Arizona last year). I don't think either one of these is worth wasting $50/year but that's what he said.

04-Jun-17
I most likely would draw with 2 in the area I want and maybe even 1 but I just want to be sure so I can plan my hunt for next year. I think others figure the same. They pick a year they can go and want to make sure they absolutely draw thus they just keep buying points. 50 bucks is less then most guys spend on coffee each month. Scooby

04-Jun-17
4pt for Zone 4. Hoping it's a slam dunk but will wait for the draw results.

04-Jun-17
I have drawn my unit in Colorado for first rifle for many years with no points this year no draw. Magazine articles screw up a good thing. Hope 5 points gets it done in iowa

04-Jun-17
I've been to Iowa twice. Both times I bought a pt one yr and then bought another pt and got a license the next yr. The yrs I hunted were 2009 and 2011. We had 3 guys applying in 2009 and 4 in 2011. My son in law has family there and we had approx 3500 acres to hunt on. Is it different now? Does it require more pts to draw?

04-Jun-17
The economy sucked back in 2010 I drew with 3 points and gas was 3 dollars a gallon and now economy is better and gas is cheaper more people putting in

04-Jun-17
Just another point for this guy. Hoping for next year. If not 2019

Good luck to everyone else.

04-Jun-17
Didn't draw last year with 3 points and have never needed more than that. Hopefully 4 is enough for this year. Amusing how some like to spend other peoples money. I have points in a lot of states that I may never use or maybe not until retirement with other hunts lined up every year. Guess that would be like someone chasing a "top tier" AZ elk unit when I could draw a "lesser" unit and go and enjoy 3 or 4 elk hunts in the same amount of time and still have a chance at a slammer. Guess its just how you look at it. Good luck to all.

04-Jun-17
I bought 227 acres in Decatur county and have never hunted it. I live 25 minutes from my farm on the MO side. With 4 points I am cashing it in and also getting my son a Muzzy tag. This year we are leaving some beans standing!

05-Jun-17
I would think if you want to hunt unit 4 or 5 then the more points the better. Other units 2-3 should do. Scooby

05-Jun-17
3 pts. has always been enough for 4 ,gun hunters 1pt sometimes 0pts. agravating to say the least.

05-Jun-17
It helps lessen the sting of never drawing a sheep/goat/moose/deer/elk tag in those western states Charlie;-)

05-Jun-17
Dad moved to Iowa about 11 years ago. Applied for my first tag this year. Anyone know about when the draw results are out?

06-Jun-17
IDNR has July 15 posted but they've been out as early as the 1st recently.

06-Jun-17
"Illinois allows 25,000 NR archery tags and Iowa allows 2,100. Geographically similar size state. Dream state to be a resident archer."

Charlie, On top of this, Iowa spreads these 2,100 NR's out among 10 zones unlike Illinois where 24,000 of them are allowed to cram into west central area. Our public is prostituted out.

06-Jun-17
It's another example of the failures of the broken state known as Illinois.

06-Jun-17
Keep checking your preference status starting in early July. If you suddenly have one more preference point, you didn't get drawn. If you suddenly have 0 preference points, you got drawn.

• Sitka Gear