jingalls 04-Jun-17
LKH 04-Jun-17
lewis 05-Jun-17
LINK 05-Jun-17
LINK 05-Jun-17
lewis 05-Jun-17
M.Pauls 05-Jun-17
04-Jun-17
Do any of you guys out there know if deer would eat alfalfa hay? I often see them in the alfalfa fields.

04-Jun-17
Yes they will eat alfalfa hay, mostly in the winter more than anytime else.

04-Jun-17
Heavy eating in spring....summer...fall...and yes...winter here in KS.

04-Jun-17
Love it

04-Jun-17
I'm assuming you meant the hay, not actively growing alfalfa. They are always feeding in my alfalfa fields.

04-Jun-17
Hmmmm...Good observation t-roy! I took it as hay fields, not hay bales. Big difference!

04-Jun-17
There is nothing that won't eat alfalfa hay. Our hay yards often have high fence in this area.

05-Jun-17
Curious is it best to plant alfalfa in spring or fall Lewis

05-Jun-17
Lewis I've seen anytime in July up to as late as the first week of September in NW Oklahoma, with most being late July early August. It just needs a few leaves on the plants before first frost which is on average 3rd week of October where I live.

05-Jun-17
As with a lot of other things deer will eat, they need some exposure to it before they will eat it very good and they always hit it harder when it's cold and crappy out. Before corn became popular the outfitter I work for was putting out alfalfa hay for deer and he couldn't keep up with their consumption once they got used to it.

05-Jun-17
Thanks Lewis

05-Jun-17
I agree with them feeding in alfalfa fields at all times but I have definitely noticed them hit it way harder when it's cold. Also goes for the bales. I've fed them through out harsh winters as well as mild. Tremendous difference between cold and mild. They barely even come to the bales if it's mild. Below -30C and there'll be a herd at a round bale.

• Sitka Gear