kscowboy 06-Jun-17
BIGHORN 07-Jun-17
Mr.C 07-Jun-17
willliamtell 07-Jun-17
DL 07-Jun-17
Scar Finga 07-Jun-17
goelk 16-Jun-17
05-Jun-17
What is the best way to ask permission to hunt private property when a Landowner posted a sign "No Hunting Without Permission". Contact by mail or in person?

05-Jun-17
In person, with at least one of your young kids along (looking for a place for them to hunt) ....and drive the oldest vehicle you can....and offer to help out doing whatever!

It's just like sales, you never get a yes unless you ask!!!

Mark

05-Jun-17

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
I usually drop the wife off with her bike to ride up and ask, unbelievable the spots I get!

05-Jun-17
Tim, I can't believe you don't have her bring a pizza in that basket! :)

05-Jun-17
Flash some cash around:)

Good advice on offering to help out, and willing to share your harvest. Good luck.

05-Jun-17
Don't act like dude from a tv show...

05-Jun-17
A man I know from Ca put an add on Craigslist about hunting in Wyoming. Got a pretty quick response. The land owner asked if he could send him some crab. The three of them pitched in and ordered him king crab and salmon from Alaska. They now have a permanent place to bow hunt antelope.

05-Jun-17
Dress like a local, not in your brand new $1000 outfit looking like some dude from suburban Denver.

Learn something about cows, irrigation, and/or fencing and ask him some knowledgable questions about his business. My plains muley spot came about after we talked and he learned I have an ATV and know how to work around cattle during roundup and branding. Now for 3 days of helping every year I get the run of his ranch anytime I want, and he got into the landowner voucher program just to help me out since point creep has made it an every other deal for the general draw.

05-Jun-17
If I had a wife like that I might give up huntin.

05-Jun-17
You would have to- just to keep away all the interested guys

05-Jun-17
NO Cash, just be honest and talk to them face to face. Then offer to help with whatever if you get a yes. If you harvest then in the "OFF" season take them a package of sausage, fresh huckleberries or something like that. You'd be surprised how that honesty can build a 20+ year relationship on a piece of property!

05-Jun-17
I got permission to hunt a private ranch in Wyo just by stopping by and asking. Some guys are great schmoozers...I'm not. I was polite, respectful, sat and listened to stories for an hour or so, then killed a real nice buck a couple days later.

05-Jun-17
I have 3 farms to hunt in KS and don't pay anything. Knew a guy who knew a guy and then it grew from there. Maintain those relationships with generosity, friendliness and an Omaha steak package for Christmas.

05-Jun-17
What basket?

05-Jun-17
If you saw a basket, bad news......you're gay.

05-Jun-17

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Got rid of the wife when I lost out on some prime Iowa land one year.

The new work out partner is hitting on all cylinders though.

05-Jun-17
I love it when the full moon is visible during the day.

05-Jun-17
Do you realize that if we were deer how easy we'd be to kill??

06-Jun-17
Offer to do some work around the place, maybe paint some corrals or weed eat along the fencing or wax a truck or something of trade value.

Girls in Yoga pants---oops! ha

Good luck, Robb

06-Jun-17
Become a member of groups for private land property rights then make sure I understand you are not a hunter against ranching, cattle, farming and private land owners. I do not let known democrats on my land, those people are against my way of life and my livelihood.

06-Jun-17
If we're talking about WY here the absolute best thing you can offer is to kill an antelope :) I've had success getting private access and had more than a few landowners tell me to "shoot as many as you can" or "bring your friends". I'll add that the best time to approach them is after they're done farming which means the best time to get permission for next year is between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

06-Jun-17
Maybe it's the Italian part of me, but whenever I'm a guest at someone's home or land I never come empty handed. It's only a token "thank you" gift, but I do believe it goes a long way. It could be a box of chocolates, a bottle of Wild Turkey (if appropriate), or even a can of coffee (the one place I hunt the owner and I sit for an hour just talking and drinking coffee....that's almost become as good as the hunting), or whatever.

On more than one occasion I've been told that, "You know, I've let a lot of guys hunt here and no one has EVER brought me anything. You are welcome until they cart me off!"

I guess it goes under the old saying....."It's the thought that counts."

06-Jun-17

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
I do a little sweet labor in exchange. This years results.

06-Jun-17
Just be damn sure you can "speak their language" before you ever approach them...

06-Jun-17
Bigpizzaman, I could believe that, as that's Courtney Stodden and she does like older men----married a 51 year-old when she was 16. However, she is an activist for PETA----so I have to call your B.S.!

07-Jun-17
Big Pizza Man, your post was funny! Thanks, I needed that. Wish I was younger and could hunt with you.

07-Jun-17
Be polite! and if he says no, thank him anyway and say see next year and if you need a hand this summer.... then give him a piece of paper with your name and phone already on it good luck

07-Jun-17
Around here, you have to have an inside track. Remember the landowner is "boss" no matter what.

07-Jun-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I have to go up and work 5 days to be able to hunt 25,000 acres backed up to wilderness. Lots of elk and mule deer(October). I can hunt archery elk and deer or rifle elk or deer. Nice house to stay in, walk in cooler with a nice butcher shop. Quads available if needed. Some summers all his grand kids and friends come up. The owner brings in a girl that is a gourmet cook. Quite work at five and shoot sage rats until you tire of that or go trout fishing at the neighbors lake.

07-Jun-17
DL, Let me know if you need some help, I can be available:)

Scar.

16-Jun-17

• Sitka Gear