Contributors to this thread:
Elk4Doc 05-Jun-17
raghorn 05-Jun-17
The Famous Grouse 05-Jun-17
LKH 06-Jun-17
JL 06-Jun-17
Elk4Doc 06-Jun-17
05-Jun-17
I am looking at replacing the battery in my ACR locator beacon. I have also considered buying the Garmin In-Reach. One question I had was how they alert search and rescue if you activate either one. Garmin says that the In Reach calls Geoss rescue center and ACR says that the ResQLink reaches the COSPAS-SARSAT rescue center. Does anyone know if one of these services is better/more reliable than the other? I assume that both centers call the local search and rescue and that the difference is which center is tracking down the local S&R. Both might be very reliable but it was a question that crossed my mind.

05-Jun-17
ACR is 5watts and connects to the Air Force Center(Florida) who notify the closest Sheriff dept. The In-Reach and SPOT are .5 watt and they go to their own company center who then notifies the closest sheriff. Both work. The In-Reach and SPOT can leave breadcrumbs so there is a last known spot if the unit is dropped in the river or the owner (unconscious) cannot send the SOS. The ACR requires the owner to send the SOS but it sends coordinates and a continuous signal which can be picked up with downed aircraft receivers. The ACR is same unit that is used in marine applications.

05-Jun-17
I like the versatility of the SPOT or Garmin systems. I like the tracking and the ability to "check in" to say "I'm okay". I know my wife and kids worry when I go totally off the grid in the Arctic, not knowing if something may have happened. It would just be comforting to see that I'm on the move and checking in.

The spot devices are also great for signaling to an outfitter or bush pilot when you're at the pickup point. The can watch online and then know when you arrive at the takeout or pickup point. This can save a lot of waiting and potentially long delays, if the outfitter knows you're at the takeout point, they an come and get you early in the case of weather closing in or a hunt ending early due to an early kill and now meat needs to be flown out fast.

Bottom line is the modern devices offer a lot.

Grouse

06-Jun-17
I have one of the original Spot devices and it has only failed to get a "check in" message out once when I spent the night in a very steep bowl in the Brooks.

Once I changed my need assistance message and I didn't get it right. Border Patrol agent eventually found us after he had found my buddies gut pile just north of Mexico in New Mexico. It was where I had sent the wrong message.

06-Jun-17
The Air Force typically covers land-based SAR while the USCG covers the water-based SAR. That said....the CG will fly on land SAR cases if in the area or directed to and will notify the USAF.

06-Jun-17
This is very helpful information and thanks for the responses. I have never had to use my PLB and hope to never be in that situation, but it helps to know how it works, who is coming and what to expect.

• Sitka Gear