zeke 10-Jun-17
Retired-11-2000 10-Jun-17
midwest 10-Jun-17
Rcross 12-Jun-17
Rcross 12-Jun-17
zeke 12-Jun-17
zeke 14-Jun-17
10-Jun-17
I live in KY and am 66 years old. I have hunted CO. OTC every year for the last 15 years. We usually get into elk and have a fair amount of success. I retired last year and spent a month in Units 70 and 711. The MD says when I get "old" I will need hips replaced, they are giving me trouble now. I decided to use my PP for LEA before I got too broken down to do a real elk hunt. I put in for and drew GMU 66 as my first choice. I chose 66 because it had a fairly high success rate and it was borderline drawable with 8 PP. I am not asking for specific areas but if anybody is willing to share a starting place (such as NE or SW etc. part of unit) or a good area to truck camp I would be grateful. Please PM. otcwill offered some help a few years ago and I would hope the offer still stands. Thank all.

10-Jun-17
Hunted that unit yrs ago when OTC unit. My first bow hunt. Got into elk every day. Backed packed up to tree line. Hunted near unit 76 boundaries.

10-Jun-17
Can't believe how the points required jumped in that unit. Took a minimum of 5 at 57% success this year.

12-Jun-17
Hi Zeke ,

I hunted that unit in 2015 and harvested a good 6 point bull on the 5th day. A couple of things to keep in mind... a lot of that unit is above 11k elevation at least where you'll find elk. I'm used to hunting 8-10 k and get a little altitude sickness. Up there I was vomiting the first 24 hours. Also, muzzy hunters come out mid month and I assumed they were there after elk and would retreat to new places-later I found out they were muzzy deer hunting and I left some good bulls behind. I like backpack style and getting away from roads so I chose wilderness areas where I could hike in at least a few miles. Get away from roads and up high . Elk were everywhere, out during daylight, and vocal. It was a great unit to hunt I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

12-Jun-17
Hi Zeke ,

I hunted that unit in 2015 and harvested a good 6 point bull on the 5th day. A couple of things to keep in mind... a lot of that unit is above 11k elevation at least where you'll find elk. I'm used to hunting 8-10 k and get a little altitude sickness. Up there I was vomiting the first 24 hours. Also, muzzy hunters come out mid month and I assumed they were there after elk and would retreat to new places-later I found out they were muzzy deer hunting and I left some good bulls behind. I like backpack style and getting away from roads so I chose wilderness areas where I could hike in at least a few miles. Get away from roads and up high . Elk were everywhere, out during daylight, and vocal. It was a great unit to hunt I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

12-Jun-17
Thanks Rcross. The last few years we have camped at about 10,200 and hunted up and down. My 42 yo son will assist and he is a little prone to altitude sickness. He always take Diamox and has no trouble. We have been up to around 12,000.

14-Jun-17
TTT

• Sitka Gear