Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
nmwapiti 11-Jun-17
t-roy 11-Jun-17
AKHUNTER 11-Jun-17
nmwapiti 11-Jun-17
bigeasygator 11-Jun-17
11-Jun-17
Fellas, I was curious if any of you use Scarpa boots. Wondering if the synthetic materials really are better than leather. I typically get 3 years out of a pair of leather, gore-tex Meindls. I've gone back and forth between treating the leather and not. I'll try to get my hands on some when the KUIU tour bus passes by.

11-Jun-17
No experience with them, but they are on sale on Kuiu's website for $150+ off right now.

11-Jun-17
I have used scarpa plastic boots for sheep. Super stiff makes sidehilling and digging your toes in for the steep terrain real easy. You sacrifice comfort on the flatter terrain. Did 17 miles in a day and took them off swearing I would never wear them again. Switched to Meindl and love them.

On the other hand I wear scarpa and love them in the winter when I'm chasing goats but probably wouldnt like them if it wasn't for the step in crampons.

11-Jun-17
I would probably be most interested in trying the R-evolutions which are their light hiker to start. If those worked out well, I would look at the Rebel for a mid-season hunting boot. One big concern is all the cactus down here. We wear leather boots for a reason in the desert.

11-Jun-17
I have a pair of both the Grand Dru's and the Charmoz. They are both great boots! Don't confuse the boots Kuiu sells for the plastic ones AKHUNTER describes. These are not plastic boots. The Grand Dru is a serious mountaineering boot that is fully crampon compatable. I don't know what your typical hunting is like but the Grand Dru is stiffer and meant for extreme terrain. These are what I intend to wear during my upcoming mountain goat. I don't think they are as suitable to your "typical" elk hunting (too heavy, too stiff). The Charmoz are probably a better option for typical elk hunting, though I'd almost place them in more of an early season category. If you aren't carrying heavy loads (ie, backpack hunting) they may work well. If most of your hunting is in NM I'd definitely say do the Charmoz over the Grand Drus.

I've had Meindl's but I never really liked them all that much. As far as leather boots, I've preferred Kenetrek and Hanwags. There are a lot of great boots out there. The best thing to do is find one that fits your foot well and go from there!

• Sitka Gear