WapitiBob 12-Jun-17
SteveB 12-Jun-17
Buglmin 12-Jun-17
NorCalVineyards 12-Jun-17
jdee 12-Jun-17
NorCalVineyards 12-Jun-17
LINK 16-Jun-17
11-Jun-17
I posted an ad looking for a elk voucher in NM. A guy called me off that ad, said he has 2 because the usual two hunters he sells them to had a change of plans this year. I am not dealing with the land owner directly rather a guy who has been buying them supposedly off the land owner for years. He says he will not send me a pic of the voucher as I could activate it (maybe that is correct). For you guys that have more experience about this than me, what is the best way for me to vet the tag and make sure this is not a "Craig's list" scam. I have already asked him to tell me who the landowner is that he bought the tags from. He said he would do that tomorrow.

11-Jun-17
We are talking about a substantial amount of money. What's the best way to get to the bottom of this? It's a western NM Tag and of course he wants the money deposit into his account, I don't blame him.

11-Jun-17
I do not have an answer for you but you could consider using PayPal for their purchase protection. I believe you only have 90 days with PayPal, but it would offer a measure of security and if he truly has them, he should agree that caution is warranted.

11-Jun-17
good idea with the pay pal.

11-Jun-17
I would contact the state and see if the guy is legitimate.

11-Jun-17
Have you googled him????

11-Jun-17
sounds fishy, instead of "tomorrow" he just as easily could've told you the LO last name. Putting it off allows him to check the list. Call G&F and ask them for help or escrow suggestions, or eat the paypal 3%.

11-Jun-17
I've googled him. Found his name as he paid for some NM guided hunts. He's from out of state but said he just built a lodge in NM

11-Jun-17
Hmmm... why don't you send me the money... I'll give it to him when he sends you the voucher. ;)

11-Jun-17
He could post a picture of the vouchers and just block out part of the ranch number and authorization number. That doesn't guarantee anything except that he probably has vouchers in hand.

11-Jun-17
That's a good idea Jeff. Think he's on the Arizona border somewhere. I'll find out what town he's in....

11-Jun-17
BSBD, I'll ask him to do just that.

11-Jun-17
Seriously, i hope it works out for you. keep us posted

12-Jun-17
I purchased 2 NM vouchers this year (1 for my hunting buddy and 1 for myself) from separate landowners. After chatting with them we exchanged information over the phone. I wanted the voucher numbers before sending a certified check overnight so that I could verify the codes were valid. Both landowners agreed and were fine with it. I then texted pictures of tracking numbers and the checks. If they wanted pay first I would want to post date a check a couple weeks so that you could cancel it before it is cashed if you do not receive the voucher. Or Pay Pal. Your situation of purchasing off of a third party would make me nervous.

12-Jun-17
What's funny is most landowners either sell the tags themselves or an outfitter buys them. Sounds like the guy is trying to be a broker, and you should also talk to the landowner. A landowner could have set rules that you might not know about till you get to the ranch. And if it's a big ranch, there might be other hunters on the ranch. You need to have direct contact with the landowner.

12-Jun-17
use a payment method you can dispute like a CC. He might be legit but there is no way t really know - unless you find bad stuff out about him. If you do not that obviously does not man he is legit still, so be careful. Best bet is always directly from LO

12-Jun-17
I bought cows tags a few years ago directly from a land owner. He wanted the money before giving codes. I paid and he gave them to me, no big deal. That said I'd be leery getting them secondhand, landowner don't want to hack stuff up because if they do they stand to lose tags in the future. Maybe you could work a deal where you put some money up front and after you gets codes you send the rest. You have to remember the person selling tags has as much to lose as you do. Who is supposed to take all the risk? Like I said buy directly from the LO and there is recourse on them if they don't come through.

12-Jun-17
Maybe some of who are local to Pie Town can help me out if I send you a pm?

12-Jun-17
Buglemin I about bought 2 6a tags on here a few years ago. Some guys commit to buying x number of tags from the LO every year for themselves and a few buddies. If someone can't go they have tags to sell. Some might buy all the tags a landowner has because the landowner wants to sell them as a package then resale the surplus. There's a lot of reasons someone could have the tags but I would certainly want a way to vet someone that's not the landowner. I would also want a unit wide tag as most are. If the ranch is not huge you run the risk of seasonal usage or low numbers.

12-Jun-17
This is a UW tag, and the situation happened just like in Link's example.

12-Jun-17
After you get the ranch owners name give him a call and check this guy out. If he actually bought them from the LO I wouldn't be too worried sending payment before receiving authorization.

12-Jun-17
I have one Unit 9 tag for sale. Unit wide land owner tag. i have 4 that I get every year, and my group will be only myself and two brothers - my dad has gotten to old to go.

i will be available via phone, bowsite private message, email, and i have some reference you can reach out to on this site.

i will take payment via Paypal only unless you have very trust worthy - mutual references.

shoot me a PM if your interested.

Not looking to make any $$$ will sell for face value ($800 i believe)

12-Jun-17
Call Mark at the Archery shop in Albuquerque. He usually brokers landowners tags.

12-Jun-17
Welcome to NM's second attempt at redeeming vouchers.

Call the Dept and they can tell you how many vouchers remain for that ranch.

12-Jun-17
I agree with Link above. Once comfortable I would get an invoice and wire the money to his account with a memo notation of what it is for. If it is a scam, he goes to jail for federal wire fraud.

12-Jun-17
We used to sell landowner tags for a couple of ranches in Northern New Mexico, as well as deer vouchers. I never touched the tags at all. All the dealings were done between the landowner and the person buying the tag. Most guys selling land owner permits are on the up and up, especially around Pie Town. Whatever you do though, do it quick before someone else catches wind of the permits and grabs them..

12-Jun-17
I would rather know my investment is safe than roll the dice with thousands of dollars.

12-Jun-17
Better get it figured out pretty quick !! My neighbor had a premium tag last week he was going to sell to a guy from out of state who wasn't sure about sending a check or wiring the money and put it off for a couple days . Another guy called from within NM and drove to his place (200 mi) with cash....Guy called back and said lets do it but the tag was sold. My neighbor said he thought the guy was going to cry he sounded so depressed....You know the saying...Money talks. Good luck.

12-Jun-17
No tears Mr Dee, all good either way.

16-Jun-17
Well, did it work out?

• Sitka Gear