NvaGvUp 16-Jun-17
DL 04-Jul-17
IdyllwildArcher 04-Jul-17
12-Jun-17
Nothing for me.

Good luck to the rest of you guys!

12-Jun-17

DL's embedded Photo
Sorry for the double post. My brain isn't working.
DL's embedded Photo
Sorry for the double post. My brain isn't working.
I'm not Jewish any longer. No Passover this year! I'm still in shock and have to keep looking at it.

12-Jun-17
Holy sh@t, well done! I guess I'll be celebrating Passover this year. I did draw a fairly easy tag to draw, A22.

12-Jun-17
Yeah I usually draw a D3-5 tag. Haha

12-Jun-17
Drew an AO tag, as usual, Elk a big fat NO, as usual.

12-Jun-17
When I saw that big Y I hurried through the rest. I was concerned I might get drawn for an elk and antelope. A guys heart can only stand so much.

12-Jun-17
DL,

I'll bet you'll do what I did after I'd drawn sheep tags in NV and WY in 2014 and 2016 -------- keep going back to the website to make sure it's real and that they haven't changed their mind!

Good luck and let me know I I can help in any way.

Kyle

12-Jun-17
Congrats Dave!

C-Zone for me...Oy Vay !

12-Jun-17
Did that already. Haha Once I get the notification in the mail I'll believe it.

12-Jun-17
Dave,

The Cadys are one of the units that's a hunt zone due mostly to the efforts and surveys CA WSF did and then funded a few years ago.

12-Jun-17
Grats Dave!

Dad and I both struck out. So'd my daughter. Such BS that it takes 3 years to draw a junior tag in a D zone.

12-Jun-17
Thanks everyone, I have been on my iPhone all morning and it's 2 pm. Been letting friends know and doing like Kyle did. Going back to the F&w site to make sure their is no mistake..

12-Jun-17
Good for you DL!!!

Hopefully your knee is all good to go!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

12-Jun-17
Hi Dave,

In addition to Cal Wildsheep funding and great support, SCBS (Society for the Conservation of Bighorn Sheep) are boots on the ground in the Cady's and the other ranges. We provide guzzler support to the sheep in the desert. I was just there last Wednesday for an emergency water haul to repair and replenish the guzzler. Sheep standing around waiting for us to get finished. Congrats on your draw, great range. Have many stories about it.

Congrats, Terry

12-Jun-17
I was fortunate to draw an A3 (archery in X1). Haven't hunted up there in many decades. Anyone have any honey holes they wish to share? Thanks and good luck everybody!

13-Jun-17
Dave,

Terry is "Mr. Sheep" in the So Cal desert.

Few people more about wild sheep down there than Terry.

And he's 100% right about SCBS. Without them, there wouldn't be many sheep in the desert. I'm a Life Member of SCBS and encourage everyone to join.

14-Jun-17
Terry is the one I'm using. I'm a little concerned about him though. He said Kyle's a great guy. Maybe it's another Kyle. Terry has great character. I talked with him Monday. Made no commitment to use him. Yesterday someone who drew the tag is going to use him. Terry told the other fellow that I had talked to him and I would have the first hunt. Even though I hadn't agreed to use him. He said first caller is first. 50 ram hunts and 50 kills he's guided. He said you can go by yourself and most likely get a ram. Two guys last year got there's opening day. He said they were only 5-6 year old rams in the 140s. There are rams 13-15 year olds up there he said. The Cadys don't produce the monster rams like other units but there are some 170-180" ones in there. Another sleepless night is coming up and my guts are already a mess from nerves. My wife has finally realized how big a deal this is. One of my sons friends works for Nevada in the environmental dept. he said they auctioned a tag off for $140,000 and other states have gone over double that. Clothes are going to be another issue. Terry said in December you can be in the wind at 20 degrees. Go around a mountain and it's 85. So like others Said if you ever draw a tag in ca. Terry is the person. He visits most of the units for trail cam pictures, checking on guzzlers that they put in and in some cases there organization hauls out water to fill the storage tanks. They went out a week ago to do that and sheep were there waiting for water. They moved off a ways until they were done and then came right in.

14-Jun-17

DL's embedded Photo
Some younger rams
DL's embedded Photo
Some younger rams

14-Jun-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Things just got Real. Now I don't know where to keep this or the tag. What happens if the house catches on fire. It's a winning lottery ticket. Do I sleep with it?

14-Jun-17
Dave,

This is a once-in-a-time opportunity. Make the best of it!

Kyle

14-Jun-17
I stand corrected on the success Terry has had. It's 171 sheep hunts and 171 harvested rams!!

14-Jun-17
There's more to Terry than his guiding skills.

He's also involved on SCBS's guzzler projects to a degree it's hard to describe.

A couple of years ago, WSF gave Terry an award at The Sheep Show for his unselfish commitment and amazing efforts on behalf of California's desert bighorn sheep.

14-Jun-17
I vote sleep with the tag!!!!!

Good luck can't wait to see the live hunt updates.

15-Jun-17
One of the guzzlers went dry in the Cadys a week ago. Terry organized volunteers to haul thousands of gallons up to the storage tank. He said sheep were standing around waiting for water. During the drought if not for them hauling in water there could have been hundreds of sheep deaths from dehydration. Then I read on their website that there are moronic enviro-nazi groups that wasn't all "unnatural " water supplies be stopped in the desert. That way animals would learn to fend for themselves. That might be well and good if it were thousands of years ago or hundreds before the metro areas sucked every bit of water they could out of Southern California. Maybe that would kill all the wild horses and burros. That wouldn't happen though because people would hall water out to them because they aren't indigenous to that area and need help. Sorry ignorant and just plain stupid irrational people I don't tolerate well.

15-Jun-17
Dave,

Exactly.

The water table in the desert has dropped due to the tens of millions of people who live in the LA Basin and surrounding areas. As a result, seeps and springs that once existed are dry and no longer provide any water to wildlife.

SCBS is simply putting back water that man took away.

15-Jun-17
Congrats DL!!!!!! Bow or bangstick?

15-Jun-17
My bowdays are done unfortunately with all my knee surgeries I can't shoot off my knees or crawl on them I were sika pants with pads. The skin on my right knee is paper thin and a cactus or Anything sharp can puncture through it and that means a surgery last surgery I had the doctor prepared me that I could loose my leg. Then there's the shoulders that don't allow me to draw a bow. I can use a crossbow now but I hate that thing. So yes it will be a rifle. Depressing to have to lay done my bow.

15-Jun-17
I can't wait to get my hands on it to mount. I was up again last night looking at forms to do a full body mount. I'll probably take a chain saw to the form and modify it. Sleep is not coming to me. Just a few hours a night. I thought I'd outgrown that. November is going to be worse yet. I would get excited enough drawing on a deer or turkey. Elk are just beyond those. I don't know if I could shoot a bow if I could hold steady enough to shoot one. By then my guts are churning so bad I have to take anti-diarrhea mess. I've been hunting for 60 years and the thrill is stronger now than when I was a child. With all my surgical history I realize I'm one bad step from ever being able to hike the mountains again. I treat every Hunt like it's my last and savor it like a fresh kill tenderloin over a campfire. My apologies to everyone that I ramble about this Hunt. I'm as excited as I was on my wedding night.

15-Jun-17
Still good luck and hope to see pics of you with a big ram!

15-Jun-17
Congratulations DL... helluva tag. I'd recommend Terry also. A good buddy of mine drew that tag and used Terry to be successful. I got to tag a long and was impressed at the numbers of sheep we saw and how knowledgeable Terry was about sheep in California.

On a side note, on a forum several years ago I recommended Terry to a guy who drew a Ca sheep tag. NvaGvUp and some other guy blew up on my post and endorsed some other guide... I also suspect Terry was talking about another Kyle... Ed F

15-Jun-17
" NvaGvUp and some other guy blew up on my post.....

I call BS!

15-Jun-17
Dave , certainly no need to apologize!!

My goodness..... a DBHS TAG! Ramble all you want and I'll be happy to read.

15-Jun-17
I've never met Kyle Meintzer. I have met people from sheep organizations that do know him and nothing but fine things to say about him. I said what I did as an obvious joke. Things would get a little boring without him here and his experience. I also had a friend some years back that ran the western states 100. Any person that can finish that race is a stud in my book. One of the most difficult races in the US.

16-Jun-17
I'm really psyched because I have a GREAT points collection for every species! Wooo-hooo, added on again!

16-Jun-17
Dave,

I knew you were joking. It was a different poster to whom I was referring.

04-Jul-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Terry sent me a picture of this guy from last July. Rutting in July while its 120 degrees. Glad they made the hunt in December. Thanks For the Picture Terry

04-Jul-17
That one would do...

• Sitka Gear