willliamtell 16-Jun-17
Swampbuck 16-Jun-17
Swampbuck 16-Jun-17
13-Jun-17

Jethro's embedded Photo
5 miles to go
Jethro's embedded Photo
5 miles to go
3 months from right now our gang should be rolling into WY for our elk hunt. I was looking at pics from last years trip, had to chuckle, and wanted to share a couple. We got caught in one of those situations where we had too much gas left in the tank to stop at the nice big truck stop right off the highway. So we pressed on. We don't like to stop if we can't see the gas pumps from the highway, so we pressed on. As`luck would have it, we encounter a stretch where there aren't any convenient gas stations. So keep driving.

Eventually we know we have to stop at the next exit. Luckily the blue highway signs say there is gas at the upcoming exit. The bad news is the distance to the exit is further than the truck computer shows as 'distance to empty'. I snapped this pic when we were 5 miles from the exit.

13-Jun-17

Jethro's embedded Photo
wonder how much was left in the tank
Jethro's embedded Photo
wonder how much was left in the tank
We slowed down to conserve fuel. We'd been averaging 11mpg, so we needed about 1/2 gallon. We discussed who would walk or if somebody would drive the atv down the shoulder, or siphon from atv. At the 1 mile mark, station in sight, we at least new we weren't in for a big hassle. At the exit we just hoped we didn't stall in the intersection. Luckily we made it to the pump and filled up. Took this pic to commemorate the experience. The truck has a 26 gallon tank.

13-Jun-17
LOL!.....been there before!

13-Jun-17
I always use the buddy gas app. Before the trip, I plot our gas stops. You can avoid the high price of gas in some areas and states this way. It will also give you the distance from your location to a given gas station. It still makes my father-in-law nervous when we stretch it to the cheep station. Ha ha ha

13-Jun-17
When my truck says it's empty and can't go any farther there is still a gallon or two in the fuel system.

13-Jun-17

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I haul 100 gallons in my truck I only stop to pee and eat I have a 1500 mile range before fuel stops

13-Jun-17
Thats why the truck I have now has a 36 gallon tank on it. Old truck had a 26, sucked. Always looking for gas. Right before elk camp fill it up. Then if we don't spike in we can move around and not worry about running out of fuel right away.

13-Jun-17
And there is always a 5 gallon can of gas or two in my truck.

Dan has the set-up.

13-Jun-17
LOL great story. I was heading to WY with dad for elk few years ago and didn't fill up before leaving town. Thought I'd make it to next fill up town no problem but we were loaded heavy and had a brutal headwind. Tank kept going down, down, down, started sweating & worrying.

Finally got to where we could see town, so like you noted, at least wouldn't be a HUGE hassle. Truck started to sputter, floored it and it chugged sputtered chugged. Hit the exit and nobody in sight either direction so ran the stop sign. Truck gave one more spurt of power toward the gas station then it died so I'm coasting.

No cross traffic, so rolled thru a red light and barely had enough speed left to need to tap the brakes the pump ;o) Didn't cut it that close after that.

13-Jun-17
Been there. Now I do like Rick M. Carry 5 gallons.

13-Jun-17
Didn't exactly run out in Nevada, but I missed the only station in one town and the next overpass wasn't for more than 5 miles. Figured I could make it to a major interstate intersection another 40 miles down the road. It had zero gas stations - DOH! I knew I didn't have enough left in the tank to make it to the next town or go back, so I called AAA. Weirdest thing being stuck in a rest stop low on gas but not completely out. Figured it beat the heck out of some highway shoulder when old Bessie gave her last gasp. God knows what happens to the steering when the engine is shut off. Tried to buy some off folks who showed up with quads and gas cans - no dice. Waited for a couple hours - so much for trying to save time by not backtracking.

13-Jun-17
Been there. Once ran out in the middle of nowhere in the eastern Cali desert with two kids under the age of 4 in the car. I always keep a 5 gal can in the truck for hunts and pretend like I don't have it with.

13-Jun-17
Wow, if we draw the unit we like, I can drive up and back 2 or 3 times before I have to get gas depending on AC use!

13-Jun-17
I've been known to run on fumes more than once, and it bit me in the ass a couple weeks ago. Dash showed 41 miles to empty but it didn't know I was gonna head the truck downhill while turning around. She sputtered out ! Tried to pull it to level ground with the Ranger but it was a no-go. Luckily, I had my Ranger and I was only about a mile from a country store. Borrowed a gas can, filled it up, got it in my truck and she fired right up ! I was wondering what I was gonna tell the state trooper if I was caught on the good road, but I didn't get caught.

13-Jun-17
I'm paranoid of running out of gas and have never seen a gas light in my life (my trucks anyway). I've spent probably 5 nights sleeping on I-80 in Wyoming due to weather or in one instance a multiple semi crash. I always have food, water and a sleeping bag in my truck in the winter and 1/4 tank of gas minimum. I did the 5 gallon can in my truck once and a saw blade or nail punctured it and I ended up with gas all over my stuff.

When I was in college I had a stupid Nissan truck with a 2.4L motor to save on gas. Wrong!!!! It got crappy mileage, was gutless as you'd expect and to top it off they put like a 12 gallon tank on it. Until you've had a truck with a small gas tank you'd never even think to make sure your next trucks/cars have reasonable mileage between fill ups. 400 miles works pretty good for me, I don't have an iron ass and like to get out before then anyway.

14-Jun-17
About 30 years ago in a bass tournament the guys boat I'm paired with runs out of gas with about an hour left on a hot July day, we make it back to the ramp barely with the trolling motor only to run out of gas in the truck before we got to a station. Did I say a HOT July day!

14-Jun-17
Luckily Jethro get to ride in style cross country this year plus with a 36 gallong gas tank.

14-Jun-17
Bigdan: Get a pee cup for travel it save 5 minutes for every 3 hours of driving. :)

14-Jun-17

cnelk's Link
See link for a neat site for traveling

14-Jun-17
I don't let mine get much below 1/4.

14-Jun-17
I don't let mine get much below 1/4.

For those that stretch it close, just remember this tiny bit of info. Most new vehicles have an electric fuel pump in the tank. The fuel helps to cool the pump. If you run real low the pump can overheat and stop. The cost of a tow and new fuel pump would be around a grand. Plus you just wasted a day or two of hunting. My advice don't get below 1/8.

14-Jun-17
Charlie for our group a pee cups saves more like 20 minutes. I always get mad at stops because I like to keep a tight schedule. You would think some of the guys in our group were never more than a few miles from home. They get in these truck stops and look like a bunch of women browsing the aisles for a new purse. I have watched grown men stare at a subway menu board confused on what they should get to eat. The hope with the 36 gallon gas tank is I can put off the agony of the stops an additional 1.5 hours. Basically 3 less stops 1 way.

14-Jun-17
I won't let my tank get below 1/4 before stopping. I figure one more 10 minute stop beats an hour or two of walking down the highway carrying a gas can. I also make sure I fill up at the last possible gas station before I hit camp, then I can move locations without worrying about that.

I learned early on that my truck has a funny quirk in that the "miles remaining" goes VERY quickly once I get below 50 miles. 50 miles remaining only seems to last about 10 miles for some reason before it reads zero. Now, once I see less than 150 miles on there I start looking for a convenient gas station. I also hate the exits where I have to drive off the highway a few miles to get to the station.

14-Jun-17
Back in 2011 my buddy and I were driving a state road in Eastern Montana when he realized we were low on fuel. We were headed for a small town and we spotted a town on the map about 20 miles away. Unfortunately when we got there, there was NO TOWN! Just a crossroads (gravel)where it used to be.(guess the map we were using was kinda old! ;-) The town we were trying to get to was still another 15 miles or so. We really thought we were going to have to stop at one of the ranches along the way and ask(beg) for gas. But somehow we made it- we coasted into town on fumes!

14-Jun-17
I figured you guys could relate. As you've read this year we ride in huntabsarokee's brand new Tundra. Big gas tank. We've tried to plan or stops in advance but that seems to go out the window as soon as a defcon 5 bathroom stop is needed. Plus if we're on 80 we always like to stop at Sapp Brothers for the nice bathrooms. Who doesn't like a stall with a real door and walls all the way to the floor?

14-Jun-17
Bowhunter- thanks for that tip. I noticed in my owners manual that it says never let it get below 50 miles left or it could cause damage. Always wondered why. Now I know.

14-Jun-17
Out west ain't New York city. Not always a gas station on every corner! When you get down to 1/4 tank you better start looking.

14-Jun-17
I don't even like the 1/4 tank rule for some routes out west. I generally like to fill up in big towns before long stretches across some areas. I know there are some small towns and stops in some locations, but I always worry some of them might go out of business. If you leave Grand Junction, CO, headed west, you better fill up in Grand Junction

I always fill up in Amarillo before heading west from there. I know there's a few small towns in there, but seems like there's nothing but jackrabbits and antelope between Amarillo and Albuquerque.

And the tip about filling up right before leaving blacktop for a unit is good in a lot of areas. Especially eastern Nevada in my experience. Hunted Nevada twice now, and both times it was 2 hours out to the nearest gas station or services

I don't worry so much about the I70, I80 and I90 routes across the plains. Generally some good areas through Kansas, NE and SD, and not such long distances between stops

14-Jun-17
Yep, my son & I have coasted in on fumes more than once! It can be touch & go but it helps build memories of the hunt too! No one remembers when we arrived to a destination with plenty of fuel! (grin) Glad you made it ok!

ElkNut1

14-Jun-17
Every time I run my needle to E I think of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer is on a test drive...

14-Jun-17
I drive a jeep with 4.56 gears. I do not pass up any opportunity to fuel up. Plus my bladder is not as strong as it used to be. FWIW, my route to the elk woods takes me through western ok and eastern NM. Not much out there.

14-Jun-17
Yeah, I've learned the extreme limits of my fuel tank capacity coming back from an elk hunt.

You always think you can easily find another fuel opportunity...until you really need one !

Pee Cup (Widemouth Gatorade Bottle) is on my annual hunt pack list , lol .

14-Jun-17

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
My brother in law coasted on fumes to this pump in Manitoba on a fishing trip in 2009. He was pulling the 5th wheel camper and an 18' fishing boat, MPG was not good.

The route from Winnipeg to Lake Iskwasum in Grass River Provincial Park has very few places to fill up.

He had 10 gallons of gas in cans in the back of the truck but I don't think that would have gotten us to The Pas and the next station.

14-Jun-17
WOW! Talk about cutting it close! I think your brother wins the award, rock! ;-)

14-Jun-17
You could always syphon some gas out of that atv you were going to ride up to the station.

14-Jun-17
How in the heck do you pee in a bottle going 70 mph on an interstate? Some talent there I suspect.

14-Jun-17
"How in the heck do you pee in a bottle going 70 mph on an interstate? Some talent there I suspect".

In cruise control...release seat and shove it back...stand leaning backward with feet on the floorboards. Unzip, put bottle (and "Johnson") in position on seat...eyes on the road...Ahhhhhhhh !

14-Jun-17
Osage, the passenger either holds the steering wheel or the the bottle. All depends on how close the friendship is.

14-Jun-17
I drove from SE PA to Wyoming and back last year solo and my biggest worry was breaking down in a no cell coverage area and having to walk for help. Didn't want to leave my truck unattended with all my gear in it on the way out. On the way home I was worried about my meat and rack poking out the back. Probably would have just camped out along road until help arrived. Have run the gas to fumes a few times in the past but took no chances while solo.

14-Jun-17
My 14 Tundra only had a 27 gal tank. I was always worried about gas. Installed an aftermarket 47 gal steel tank. Love it. Toyota eventually caught on. New trucks have 37 gal or similar tank.

14-Jun-17
I bought a new Sierra last year that only has a 23 gallon tank. It can be frustrating.

14-Jun-17
the tank capacity on short beds suck mostly. Also worth noting probably.......Gatoraide makes some qt jugs with big openings. Screw on cap. I make sure there are a couple empty in the cab before a long drive just in case. I've been trapped in a traffic on the 405 freeway in Los Angeles where I wished I had a couple.

14-Jun-17
Bigdan, are you including the fuel tank on your truck too? Which size tank does your truck have, 29gal? What's your mpg. Did a little math, seems safe usable fuel with a 100gal + 29gal = 126gals. So you're only getting 12mpg? It's a 7.3 right? Are you towing a heavy load? I can get close to 600 miles to a tank full (highway) running at 80-85 I'm averaging 16mpg, if I drop down to 75 (2000rpms) I'm closer to 18mpg.

Just curious , I'm driving north this summer towing my boat, going 1700 miles. Thanks, J

By the way, I always carry 5gals of diesel on highway trips, diesels DON'T like running out of fuel!!

14-Jun-17
My truck will make it to 350 miles. Don't try to take it one mile further.

14-Jun-17
Thanks cnelk! That's a great link you posted.

14-Jun-17

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Swamp I have my main tank 26 it a short box and two over the wheel wells in the box one is 38 the other 42 if I have my camper on and pulling my trailor I get around 15 If I just have the camper I get around 20

14-Jun-17
"Running on empty" means two different things when you're driving in the east/midwest and the WEST. In places like Wyoming and Nebraska it can be 30+ miles between exits. When you add to that a head wind (and I mean a head wind where you have to keep the front wheels turned at a 45 degree angle in order to go straight down the road) that gas gauge goes down quick.

Carrying a 5 gal can is a good idea.

14-Jun-17
You waste more time figuring out where to spend the morning hunt than you saved pissin in jar at 80 mph. Adults should know better.

15-Jun-17
My situation was a little different. I stopped in at SAPP Bros truck stop and gave them my debit card so I could fill up. Filled up the dually and went inside and paid. The total was $98 and change. She gave me receipt and I was on my way to my Honeymoon/Elk hunt. No more than 5 miles down the road my new bride scream What the H@&&! I'm like what??? She said , where the hell did you put $980 of fuel!?? So we went back and showed her the mistake and she told me it will be put back on your card in 7-10 business days!(not) (with a big tantrum from me and the wife) That was a huge chunk of our budgeted money. We did our two week hunt. We had very little money left for the trip back so we team drove back without stopping, 2350 miles one way from Kali. Mt to SC. A week later the money finally showed up in the account. Valuable lesson learned!

15-Jun-17
YES! Pay cash!

15-Jun-17
Used white gas from the camp stove once to get two mile to the nearest gas station just off the highway. Where I hunt in AZ I am 33 mile from the nearest gas station so now I carry a 5 gallon can just in case. good stories guys and lessons to be learned. Paul

15-Jun-17

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Here is a better view on my in box fuel tanks I had to find a popup for a mini truck to fit between my tanks You can also check gas buddy before you leave and find the best prices of fuel before you get there when I go south I try and never buy fuel in Utah I think there taxes push the price up

15-Jun-17
WORD OF ADVICE............

If your journey east/west takes you through Illinois, make sure you gas up either in Iowa or Indiana, because our gas taxes here in the Land Of Corruption are confiscatory to say the least!

15-Jun-17
I got you all beat. Driven out west quite a few times with my massive 11 gallon tank. :)

16-Jun-17
You get better mileage on the last 1/4 of a tank (less weight). Besides, if you're stopping before you really have to you're wasting time. My daddy taught us kids right - no peanut bladders in my family. That being said, late night is not a good time to really need gas.

16-Jun-17
Woods, How are deisel prices in Illinois? I'll be running through there 57/74/39 on my way to northern Wisconsin. Im pretty sure I'll need fuel right before I cross the northern state line. They're $2.35 a gal right now down here. Thanks, J

16-Jun-17
Woods, never mind. Just used Gasbuddy, that site is awesome.

• Sitka Gear