LKH 15-Jun-17
Castle Oak 16-Jun-17
SoDakSooner 16-Jun-17
ElkNut1 16-Jun-17
Jaquomo 16-Jun-17
jims 16-Jun-17
ElkNut1 16-Jun-17
15-Jun-17
Heretofore I've hunted from the truck. This year I plan to work in some 3-4 day spike hunts so I'm in the process of purchasing some new gear. I have been researching packs and I can't decide what size will fit my needs. I am currently using a 3600ci that compresses nicely for day hunts but it is not large enough for spike hunting. Please provide some recommendations. And, please keep the discussion to size only-don't want to start a debate on best brand. Thanks for the help.

15-Jun-17
That'll be fine for 3-4 days. I used a 2800 for many years for exactly that type of hunting. Good luck!

15-Jun-17
The size of your backpack depends completely on how compact your gear and food is. If you're currently using a 3600ci pack and you know that it won't hold enough gear for 3-4 days then it sounds like you've got large/heavy equipment. A lightweight shelter and sleep system would save a lot of space and weight. The more space/weight that you save the more comforts that you'll have to go without.

I use a 3400ci pack and can easily do a 4 day/3 night trip hunting elk in the early season, where I don't need super-warm clothing and won't be expecting snow. This means the shelter, sleep system, and clothing are all small/light.

Lastly, you said you didn't want to talk about brands but beware that many brands rate their capacity differently. KUIU seems to measure their packs for the absolute maximum capacity, meaning that a 3000ci pack will hold 3000ci and nothing more. Other brands, especially Kifaru, under-rate their capacity so that a pack rated for 3400ci will actually hold more than 4000ci. Admittedly, it's hard to measure capacity but I've learned this from trying to put the same gear in each bag.

15-Jun-17
Elkstabber brings up a very good point. My first spike camp hunt was 7 days and a 5200 cubic inch pack. I barely fit all my gear and food in that pack. For an early season elk hunt I think I could fit the 7 days in a 3600.

15-Jun-17
For 3-4 days a 3500 - 5500 cubic inch pack would suit you just fine! Both can weigh in right at or under 4# -- Your pack loaded should weigh in the neighborhood of 35#-38# for that time frame.

ElkNut1

15-Jun-17
I like a 4500 for spike camp hunting. I have half a dozen different sizes packs and that one seems to be a good all-around compromise as a solo hunter. If several of you are going and can share stuff then smaller may be fine.

15-Jun-17
Concur with the guys above. My 3300 SG pack works fine for 3,4 days in early Sep. Need something closer to 5000 if cold weather, packing water or lot of food are required.

15-Jun-17
For Elk, I'm going large in hopes that I have to pack one out. The new Kifaru Fulcrum (upgrade from EMRII) goes from 1800 ci in daypack mode to about 8000 ci when full. For me bigger is better. Especially, if the pack goes well into daypack mode. Another favorite of mine is the Stone Glacier Talus 6900. Goes into daypack mode, is light and has enough capacity to pack out an animal.

15-Jun-17
I have done several September 3-night spike camp hunts using my Badlands 2800 backpack. This included, 1p tent, sleeping gear, stove, food and water. ( 30# +/- ) I could get 5 days of food and gear into this setup and still take a load of meat out.

15-Jun-17
Question: For you guys that hunt big stuff with 2800 ci packs...How do you pack out the animal?

15-Jun-17
I had to run so I couldn't finish my post. That year I had 7 days and a 5000 pack. Rain gear was mt050 rain gear. Not the post packable rain gear. Now days I run the cabelas space rain. Another thing was BA fly creek UL2 tent. Not a terribly big tent but since then have went to a kifaru tarp. Considerably smaller in packable size.

Food can make a difference. Me days I can have the same calories in food per day but the volume it consumes is noticeably smaller.

The last few years I have went with a soft shell jacket which packs down smaller then the cabelas jacket I had the first year. I did go to a kuiu super down puffy this year which packs down even better then the soft shell.

Like Lou said. Having a budddy gets pack size down as well. I carry the tarp and stakes and my hunting partner carries the jet boil and gas now days.

15-Jun-17
As AndyJ says, "It all depends on your tolerance for suffering".

:-)

15-Jun-17
I'm in kota-man's camp on this one. I carry a 7200ci pack. Going in it might not be full, but coming out I hope it is. My pack cinches down and handles well as a daypack and has the option of using just the lid as a fannypack for ultralight carry.

One problem guys can run into with a larger pack is carrying to much stuff in just because the pack will hold it. Get your gear list finalized, then load it up and don't take things you don't need.

15-Jun-17
If I need to carry meat plus my bag, I use the load shelf setup. Puts a quarter between the frame and bag tight against your back. If I am just packing meat, I take the bag off entirely. My normal routine is to bring out camp and all my hunting gear plus the antlers the first trip. After that I am just hauling meat on the frame for a day or two.

15-Jun-17
I love my new Badlands Clutch after really liking my 2800. Here is a link to a great deal on the bigger Summit if interested....$169 and free shipping.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/823273/badlands-summit-backpack-nylon-ripstop-realtree-xtra-camo-medium

Take care. Mike

15-Jun-17

fisherick's embedded Photo
fisherick's embedded Photo
Kota-man, the 2800 pack has two floating wings joined by straps that a meat bag will fit between. Old picture of pack/gear, some gear has been updated.

15-Jun-17
I just bought a Kifaru mountain rambler pack. It's 3800 cubic inches or so counting the side pockets It would work great for your hunts. That's why I bought it actually. To do those kinds of hunts. With a guide lid and two medium belt pockets, you are getting into the 5500 cubic inch range. But, you'll have room for a pod to hold your bag and tent below the pack. Best thing is, you still have the meat shelf. It's the perfect day hunt through 7 day bag.

Food size is what it is. You aren't there to eat. If you aren't getting 3 days outta that size pack, start working on getting lighter more compressible gear. Your sleep system is where you'll make the quickest and largest gains. God Bless

15-Jun-17
Everybody is different, you know how big your bag is, how much more room do you need for your gear? You can compress a good pack down, you can't make it bigger! My opinion, go big, three or four days trips this year will lead a week or more next year. I did the best of both in my opinion, wing style bag that I can throw a duffle between the wings to pack in and have a daypack that will haul meat for while I'm hunting.

15-Jun-17
"Question: For you guys that hunt big stuff with 2800 ci packs...How do you pack out the animal?"

My math might be a little off, but that is roughly 87lbs of meat carrying capability. There are a lot of people that claim carrying that much and more weight, but not many that actually do.

15-Jun-17
Regarding the 2800, I carry my belongings in the pack and meat in between the bat wings.

Because the Clutch has a much bigger and single main compartment, i will carry my meat in the bag close to my body and put my belongings in a dry bag(s) strapped in between the bat wings.

15-Jun-17
87 lbs. of meat AND all of your gear BP Hunter? I will sacrifice a pound of pack weight for 5000 extra ci of room any day, but that is just my opinion. I like to get all my gear and a good first load of meat out to limit trips, but that is just my opinion. Not to mention actually being comfortable carrying an 87 lb. load. I have a 2800 I use for coyote hunting and while it is a decent production pack, 20 lbs. feels like 40. With my Kifaru's 80 lbs feels like 40. (And it should as it costs 4 times more). After using at least 50 different packs on several different mountain hunts, I've come to the conclusion that bigger is better for me. If you want to pack out all your gear and an elk in a 2800 ci pack, knock yourself out, but I'll take 8000 ci over 2800 ci for a one pound penalty any day. That's why we have choices!

15-Jun-17
I'm buying a Tenzing 5000 tomorrow - its going to be my solo backpack colorado muzz hunt bag this year. I think its big :)

15-Jun-17
I used a Exo 5500 last year on my first spike trip for 5 days. I had it packed to the gills. I hope to do some downsizing this year. Clothing, tent, and bag took up most of the room. I need to change from a regular to long length bag so that adds a little more bulk. I'm hoping to make up for that in clothing. Plus I can drop a few other things hopefully. I really need to disect my gear list and convince myself I can get by on less clothing. I was surprisingly cold a good bit last year.

15-Jun-17
Remember, if you are going in to a spike camp, your bulky light stuff (freeze dried meals) can be put in a trash compactor bag and strapped to the outside of your pack.

16-Jun-17
Thanks for all the input. I do need to upgrade my sleep system and I plan to do that one piece at the time as my budget allows. My buddy and I are planning to split some items-tent will broken down and divided, cook system will be divided etc. My main issue is my sleeping bag. It is a 20 degree bag that weighs 3.5 lbs but it is bulky. As some have noted, my logic for going bigger with the pack is to allow for meat pack out along with some of the camp for the first load. Again, thanks for the help and keep it coming.

16-Jun-17
Mine is 5200. Don't use all the room normally but nice to have when needed and I don't really pay any weight penalty. Plus, I like everything neat and I can fit bag, pad, tent, pole, stove and all my food inside with a bit of room to spare. Hate things hanging off my pack.

16-Jun-17

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Meat lashed to frame, all straps are on pack, this makes it very easy & fast!
Meat lashed to frame, all straps are on pack, this makes it very easy & fast!
Here's Exo Pack loaded & ready to haul out. Notice how high pack is with a total weight of a 100# -- It's adjustable, very cool!
Here's Exo Pack loaded & ready to haul out. Notice how high pack is with a total weight of a 100# -- It's adjustable, very cool!
The nice thing about my Exo Pack is that it breaks away in a hinge style at the bottom. This allows me the luxury to put a good sized load of elk meat boned or on the bone right against the frame sandwiched between main bag & frame. I'm in day mode in photo, if I were in bivy mode the main bag would be fuller & yet you can still utilize the sandwich feature to pack out your elk. This allows a good load right from the kill site. That's a 3500" pack.

ElkNut1

16-Jun-17
Elknut, how many guys are you spike camping with to share gear, and for how many days? I don't think I could get my full solo camp and hunting gear into a 3500, but maybe. Going to see how much I can compress it into the 4500 next week on a solo backpack trip to see if there's 1000 ci left over.

16-Jun-17
My preference is to go with a larger pack that is designed for heftier loads rather than using a smaller pack that has a tough time with 30+ lb loads. Most 2800 cu in packs are only recommended for 30ish lb loads. I use a Kifaru frame and have 2 different bags. One is smaller and the other used for giant oversized loads. It's always possible to cinch down larger bags. The new Kifaru bags and frames are so light there really isn't that much savings in weight over using a smaller backpack. A Kifaru frame designed for 100+ lb loads is a lot easier on your back than using a smaller 2800 backpack that is loaded to the hilt and tweaks your shoulders and back. If you harvest game you will also be able to save yourself a trip hauling out meat/cape!

One thing I would suggest is to take a test run on a short 2 to 4 day backpack trip during the summer. You will be amazed at all the "stuff" you'll want to leave at home after your first trip....especially if you try it with a 2800 cu in pack! It will likely open your eyes to how much weight/bulk a 2800 cu in pack can or can not handle comfortably.

16-Jun-17
Jaq, I've only had my pack set up & loaded for a bivy hunt but have not done an actual bivy hunt with it. Loaded it up to weigh it, it was at 38# for 4 days & 3 nights. I had the tent & sleeping bag lashed to the outside of pack & food & minimal gear on inside. I could still put a quarter if needed between frame & bag. In my case when I did this I had my whole camp with me but figured if I was with my son I could split up the tent so we both had 1/2.

I would have no issues & ample room for 5 days & 4 nights in the 3500 pack. I'm seriously considering a bivy hunt this year for the hell of it! (grin) Personally I don't want over 100# on the pack out with elk meat & gear so in that case it would take two trips with two of us or a 3rd guy.

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear