olebuck 15-Jun-17
Aspen Ghost 15-Jun-17
Jethro 15-Jun-17
bb 15-Jun-17
Backpack Hunter 15-Jun-17
TD 15-Jun-17
15-Jun-17
so i'm headed west again.

i have been taking a small chest freezer and a 2000w honda inverter Generator for the last few years. works great. we take our meals vacuum sealed and use a microwave to heat them up.

This year i am looking for an alternative power source to help run the freezer a little more often as well as some other electronics

I am considering a 1500-2000 watt inverter mounted in or under the tool box.

I am considering powering it one of two ways - hard wired to the truck battery - using the alternator to charge. This worries me in regards to leaving something powered on and draining the truck cranking battery.

or adding a deep cycle to the tool box paired with a solar charger mounted on top of the tool box. I also thought of building this in a self contained box so i could use it in the tent to run a small fan or charge electronics.

i would still take the generator - its small and packable and i know that the inverter won't last as long as i need it to.

15-Jun-17
When the freezer compressor kicks in it needs a jolt of power. You'd need a very large inverter to handle that. Unless you have a very expensive solar array it won't provide anywhere close to the power you want. You'll need to run the generator to charge the battery anyway and with efficiency loss the net result is that you would need to run the generator longer than you would without the battery.

It would be easier to hook a larger fuel tank to the generator.

Or go with a propane chest freezer.

15-Jun-17
2000W inverter will provide 16.7 amp @ 120v. 80% of max would be 13.3 amps. Without the draw specs of your particular freezer, I'd feel confident that you'd have enough juice to run your freezer and handle the compressor kicking on.

Hard wired to your truck would be fine if your driving, but I wouldn't run the inverter/freezer while the truck engine was off.

15-Jun-17

bb's embedded Photo
bb's embedded Photo
Inverters still drain after they have been shut down, it's easy to put a switch between the inverter and battery, I use Blue Seas Switches

15-Jun-17
Jethro has the right idea. Figure out your draw, your battery capacity, and your recharge rate. More than likely you will need a large solar panel, and battery bank.

15-Jun-17
Throw in cycle times for the freezer.

• Sitka Gear