Mad Trapper 17-Jul-17
kota-man 17-Jul-17
APauls 17-Jul-17
stealthycat 17-Jul-17
Titan_Bow 17-Jul-17
bad karma 17-Jul-17
stealthycat 17-Jul-17
15-Jun-17
I just read an article on reducing boot weight. So I am in the market for some light weight yet durable boots. Any suggestions?

15-Jun-17
it will take your feet/legs time to adjust to minimal shoes but I have 2 pairs of Lems Boulder Boots I'm taking with me and a pair of minimalist slippers.

15-Jun-17
Lowa Innox. I get to try a ton of boots and these are by far my favorite

15-Jun-17
Kenetrek Safari. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

16-Jun-17
Lems Boulder Boots are 9.9 ounces I wear mine everyday, there isn't a "break in" when I go hiking ever. Most comfortable footwear I've ever had on my feet.

16-Jun-17
Salomon GTX

16-Jun-17
I really like the Lems that stealthycat mentioned, but the flannel lining is too hot for me in the summer. For warm weather, check out the Belleville Mini Mil boots. Light weight and breath really well

16-Jun-17
Stealthycat.... how do those Lems breathe? I had never heard of them. Doesn't that cotton lining get soaked?

16-Jun-17
I really like my Lowa Renegades. I think they come in at 20oz per boot.

16-Jun-17
Asolo Reston, Piuma. Very light and low heel/toe drop. Tacky sole. By far my favorite after using Lowa Renegade II and Salomon GTX, which are both great boots too.

16-Jun-17
+1 Brotsky. Nothing but great things to say about my Renegades.

16-Jun-17
Crispi summits are hands down the best boot out there in this category

16-Jun-17
Stealthcat, I took a look at the Lems and I like the way thry look. But they are not waterproof. Did you treat them with something tovhelp with that? Wet feet are not comfortable. Thanks!

16-Jun-17
Under armor infil gtx.

16-Jun-17
I literally wear my LEMS 8-10 hours a day. To work, hiking, to the mall - they are #1 on my feet all day, every day. My feet sweat, have extra socks, aint no shoe or boot works in that regard for me. But unlike "boots" these never rub my feet or give me a blister. Ever. EVER. If my feet get that soaked, they can stay wet until the boot dries or I'll change socks I guess.

They're so light I will literally carry an extra pair in my daypack. I thought about spraying waterproofing ... but if its raining? they're going to get wet anyway. If its just dew on grass etc? They'll dry off soon/quick enough.

minimalist shoes are different - its like being barefooted almost. I used to wear an expensive pair of Russel Moccasins, I've have several pairs of boots and HATED the 3-4 pounds or more total weight. Felt like I was wearing gravity boots! No ... these fit me, they are what my feet have always wanted.

I don't feel a lack or ankle support anymore since I wear them all the time. I have zero fears of a 70 pound pack and coming down a steep mountain. My feet feel the ground now - I stop toes first, not heal first. I don't mis step ... now that's not to say I won't break my ankle elk hunting, right? but it won't be the shoe

16-Jun-17
stealthy, reading the description of the LEMS, it sounds like there's little support or cushion for the bottom of your feet. Is that correct? The reason I'm asking is I wore a pair of the old ECO stalking boots back in the '90's. They were marketed as "like walking in your bare feet". They certainly lived up to their claim, but I woke up one morning and literally couldn't walk. I developed plantar fasciitis in both feet, for which I'm still paying dearly.

16-Jun-17
Checkout the Danner Pronghorn 8" boots. They're a heavy duty feel high top that walk like a lightweight boot. They have excellent support for their weight and won't leave you feeling like you're wearing a tennis shoe while on rocks/sidehilling. And at $200, they'll run you less than many of the other expensive boots out there. I have narrow feet so I got them a 1/2 size large and wear two pairs of socks which makes them ride really nicely.

16-Jun-17
I have a pair of Han Wag Mountain Lights from Lathrop and Sons. They are more than ten years old, and still have a LOT of miles left on them.

Great, light boots. There are undoubtedly other good boots but I have a high volume foot, and these fit me perfectly.

16-Jun-17
Last year I bought a pair of Oboz Bridgers and love them. I've worn Lowas, Kennetreks, and Vasques and I like these the best. I've put a lot of miles on em so far this year shed hunting and scouting and I think I've found my go to boot.

16-Jun-17

stealthycat's embedded Photo
stealthycat's embedded Photo
exactly right wyobullshooter

minimalist shoes re-teach us how to walk ... my feet would die if I tried to wear boots again

16-Jun-17
I second the Han Wag by Lathrop and Sons. I have them and so does my son.

16-Jun-17
I'd go barefooted if I could

17-Jun-17
Another fan here of the Lowa Renegade.

17-Jun-17
I like my lowa renegade's, like my cheap cabelas lightweight made in china meindle's, but my favorite boots are keens, awesome boot, awesome customer service, no breakin required

17-Jun-17
Hope your feet are as tough as you think they are! I know mine aren't! Wearing crappy government issue footwear with no support of any kind in the footbed ruined my feet and that was in the Navy, can only imagine what it did for the guys humping packs in the other branches. Boots are a lot better these days. Find the middle ground unless you know your feet can handle the heavy loads with minimalist boots! And for info sake, I wasn't oldgoat yet, I was mid twenties when my feet went South.

17-Jun-17
You mean on the LEMS oldgoat ?

Footwear is changing. I always hated the "breaking in" of boots ... which is really a lie. Your feet blister and callus to the boots, the boots don't change too much. I hated never feeling the sticks and stones under my feet, made slipping around tough. I HATED the weight of boots. My feet, not unlike many feet, are wider than traditional shoes and boots - I never understood why my toes had to smash into a shoe, why couldn't the shoe just be wide ?

my son has amazing feet - he has never worn tight shoes to ammount to anything, always minimalist and most often, he goes barefooted. His toes literally flex and grip when he walks. crazy and in a good way. he strikes pad first when he runs, never heel

minimalist shoes have been around - but exploded in the past 5-10 years. Keens were mentioned above - they're a wide toed shoe. Stem was bought as I understand it by LEMS. Merrell makes a great minimalist shoe I think

As for hunting ... I think of it this way. My feet and body know these shoes, they walk everyday in them. I've never elk hunted with dry feet for very long - either they sweat, or I walk through grass, or it rains, or I step in a boggy spot .... its always something. Boots don't dry easy - these LEMS do.

17-Jun-17
Lowa uplander boots are my favorite bowhunting boots. Light weight and very comfortable. I have worn them for 3 years now and no unexpected problems at all

18-Jun-17
I wear five fingers a good bit.... no doubt don't have to break the shoes in..... you do have to "break" your feet in. Takes a fair amount of time and work. At least the discomfort of breaking in new shoes and normally over a longer period of time.

Under the right circumstances....I agree the minimalist shoes work well. I wouldn't consider them 100 lb pack out boots in rocks and shale, or most any other surface with heavy packs for that matter. There is a reason for matching the tool to the job. But I understand the concept of minimalist shoes. My purpose is for stalking. Everything else pretty much.... I have some real good boots...

If there are heavy mesquite type thorns.... stay away from minimalist. I would say if the area is infested with cacti.... use boots. The wrong move in many cases could ruin a hunt.

18-Jun-17
I need ankle support and a pronounced heel on a boot. maybe I have ruined my feet over time but, I could never wear one of the minimalist type shoes where I hunt elk and chukar.

I have tried lighter weight boots such as the lowa renegades but, I keep going back to a taller sturdier boot especially when in the mountains. the extra 6-8 ounces on each foot doesn't seem to have an effect and gives me more confidence in steep rocky terrain. at the end of the day I feel less fatigued.

good thread.

18-Jun-17
TD you make good points there. I don't hunt sticker country with the LEMS and the sharp shale etc might be a challenge. I wore them on my 2013 Colorado pronghorn hunt, around Alamosa. I don't remember too many stickers in my feet.

18-Jun-17
Try on a pair of Vasque Breeze, if they fit properly, buy them.

18-Jun-17
Well , one of the best investments I made bout 20 yrs. ago right before a elk hunt in the Bob Marshal was a pair of Russell Moccasin Sheep Hunter Boots.....Can tell ya this, from day one they felt like they belonged on both my feet.... Comfort and support, and waterproof ( got to use the right boot dressing), like no other I ever had... Wore a lot of different boots on my outside job of 40 yrs, but none like a Russell Moccasin ....

18-Jun-17
How come I end up ordering a new pair of boots every time a boot thread pops up? Just ordered Lowa Innox to try as a lightweight boot.

18-Jun-17
Scooter I still have the pair of Russell's I bought in late 1990's I guess. They are comfortable for a big traditional boot.

18-Jun-17
Ya I still got my Russell's also... They are still going strong after several Elk hunts out to Montana, countless Deer hunts during bow season here in PA; etc:..... Never did much more to em than treated them with boot dressing and some polish Lov Em;

18-Jun-17
I tried Lowa Renegades last year and loved them. Warm enough with no leaks. They are going back this year. For warm dry evening hunts.. my trusty ole Timberlands from Shoe Carnival.

21-Jun-17
Got my Lowa Innox today. Initial impressions are good. Wore them around all afternoon and I think they are ready to hike. I think I'm going to like them better than my Solomon 4D 2 GTX. Been looking for a great lightweight hiker and may have found them!

11-Jul-17
I've hiked for 3 days in Colorado in my LEMS - I've had zero issues with ankle, leg, stability, bruising my feet on the rocks on the trails etc

They've done better than i could have expected to be honest

11-Jul-17
Meindels

11-Jul-17
I went into the local Cabelas and picked up the Meindl Ultrallight Hunters. I have been wearing around and they are quite comfortable. Plus they were on sale. I can hardly wait to get them out West for a test elk hunting.

11-Jul-17

Titan_Bow's embedded Photo
Titan_Bow's embedded Photo
I'm in a similar camp as Stealthycat on this one. About 6 or 7 years ago, I was suffering from plantar fasciatis so bad that I was worried I was going to be able to hunt and get into the backcountry. I read an article about how to slowly work into zero-drop, barefoot style shoes as a way to cure the pain. I started wearing New Balance MT10's and Merrell Trail Gloves everyday. I eventually started to run in them as well. After 6 or 9 months, I no longer had any pain at all. The problem now, if I wear any sort of heavier boot or shoe with any significant sole or heel-to-toe variance, my feet will start hurting. The last couple of years, I've been wearing Merrell Trail Gloves with gaiters. This has worked out OK, especially in milder temps. I even wore them for a week of spring bear this year in NW Montana. If I anticipate really wet conditions, I'll bring along gore-tex socks. The main issue I have with the Merrells, is after a week of being wet and walking dry, sweat, and everything else, they get to the point where they stink to high hell! I'd love to find a goretex version of the trail glove (I think Merrell used to sell one but no longer) I may have to take a look at the Lems. The cotton lining really kept me from considering it. I think they are making a full leather version this year too. A leather version with a merino liner is what they ought to make! Perhaps a pair of minimalist Russell Thula Thula's is in my future?

12-Jul-17
I've worn trail sneakers on multiple Western hunts and love the light weight.

12-Jul-17
Oldgoat you mean you don't wanna pack out wearing your boondockers?

12-Jul-17
I just bought a pair of Merrell Moab II Mid GTX Waterproof on sale for $109. Just did some tough miles with them and they were "broken in" from the start. I'm not saying Id take them sheep hunting.....but for early/mid season elk they will be perfect for me. Comfy and light and in wide widths too.

12-Jul-17
Titan Bow check out Altra Lone peak 3.0 .they are fairly waterproof(not gortex) Better traction than Lems. I'm in the same boat as you, can't wear anything but 0 drop. Wish they would come in camo or something beside neon green or blue.

12-Jul-17
I recently saw the Altra Lone Peak and want to try them. FYI I used the Hoka Tor Ultra Hi WP and they leaked LIKE A SIEVE first hike in the rain, that was on my 3rd hike. I contacted Hoka and explained my concern and they exchanged for a brand new pair.

Before even wearing them I filled them with about 1" of water and it leaked out of both boots like a tennis shoe. I called and explained my concern and was told all they would do is provide credit for something else. I ended up keeping them as they are relatively comfortable light hikers, but I only wear them when it's dry (here in NM).

That was couple of years ago so maybe the boots are better now, but buyer beware. I also thought that although comfortable, the soft sole made them a little bit unstable on sidehills or with heavier loads. I much prefer the Asolo Reston (or similar model) that I mentioned previously.

Carl

12-Jul-17
Intrigued by the new Danner Vital boots...

12-Jul-17
My observation is concerning this "boot" thread is: Different aged hunters, different feet, (not all are the same) different hunting conditions, different terrain, spike or bivy hunting, hunting off a 4 wheeler, or horse, all of this "conditions" might require a different boot, ie, light, medium, heavy duty. Insulated or non insulated. Breathable, water proof or water resistant. So there might not be the perfect boot for all conditions. Leather or synthetic material. The type of boot I like is one that gives me a lot of ankle support and a solid, semi aggressive tread.,( I do not want to feel the rocks) and usually around 6-8 inch in height and yea, plenty of toe room for coming down the mountain with a heavy load. A 30 oz boot seems reasonable for these conditions while elk, goat or mt sheep hunting. A Boot that has room for a good sock and liner and will keep my feet warm if needed while in the back country.

The reason why so many have recommend their boots is that, there are a lot of different hunting conditions/styles that might require a different boot.

my best, Paul

12-Jul-17
Well said Paul...I guess that's why I have 16 pair of boots! ;)

12-Jul-17
Slowalker and Titan-It sounds like I'm in the same boat as you. I have several pairs of Lems that I wear nearly every day and. Any hardly wear anything but 0 drop shoes. However, the flannel lining in their boots is way too hot in early hunting season in the south and they are not even close to being water resistant. I've been really impressed with the Mini Mil boots for hunting. Better support and they are pretty water resistant when treated with silicone and they dry quickly after a soaking https://www.bellevilleboot.com/mini-mil-trade.php

12-Jul-17
I have worn Salomon GTX since 2013. They have been a decent boot. Absolutely zero break in time on them. This year Crispi Summit GTX are getting the nod. They are definitely stiffer the the salomon boots.

16-Jul-17
Have bad ankles and have used the Meindl Ultralight for last 5ish years. Wish I could wear lighter, but not enough ankle support. For all of you wearing those mesh or lighter shoe version, how you're not in NM as a Mojave would strike right through those! Good luck.

16-Jul-17
Lowa uplander are the best light boot I have ever worn. Great for long walks thru the mountains

16-Jul-17
Lowa Renegade's are on sale at REI right now. Just ordered a pair to try. Last year I tried the Solomon x-ultra mid GTX. They were water proof for 15 minutes. Nice boot otherwise.

16-Jul-17
Do shoes/boots REALLY give you any support at all? I thought about this all my hiking over the past week.

Why do we use boots? Steel toe work environment I get .... keep dirt/debris from getting in feet area, sure.

But wearing a 6" or 8" thick topped boot with a rigid sole .... what support is that at all really? You can't "feel" the ground, the dirt, rocks, terrain etc .... its more dangerous maybe for injury?

I think I'd feel more comfortable wearing a minimalist tennis shoe and hiking with 75# of meat on my back than wearing heavy cumbersome boots.

Just my opinion - in 8 weeks, I'll be in the mtns of southern Colorado with these LEMS Boulder Boots for up to 8 or 9 days.

16-Jul-17
Kota-man, I thought I had the boot derby won, but I think you have me beat by one pair.. ;) But maybe not.

For early season anymore I rotate between the Salomon GTX and Merrell Moabs for lower-cut, and a pair of UA 7" and older Red Wing 8" that fit me like custom boots.

Nobody talks about the Under Armour boots but they are a great super-light pair with excellent support, tread, and comfort. They weigh next to nothing too. I don't remember the specific model.

17-Jul-17
Would you guys wear these on a backpack sheep hunt?

17-Jul-17
No, absolutely not Tom.

17-Jul-17
The Under Armour Speed Freaks are an awesome light weight boot. Burnt through them, and now picked up Lowa Renegade's. See how I like em.

17-Jul-17
I will say, on a sheep type hunting environment, I might not wear my LEMS based on the fact they're not waterproof nor insulated and the abuse of high mtn rocks etc .... I don't think they'd work in that hunting situation

17-Jul-17
Ankle and/or arch support is not necessary IF you have been regularly wearing barefoot style footwear, and have been hiking with weight in the same type of footwear. Over time, you build up all the "micro" muscles and tendons in your ankle and foot, which is the main reason why some people switch to this footwear. HOWEVER, if you just throw them on and take off on a hike, you are probably in for a world of hurt. Barefoot footwear is unfortunately something you have to completely embraced and do it 100% or you are going to have sore feet. I look at the same as when I was a kid. I ran around the neighborhood, played in the woods, rode bikes all over town, all while barefoot. I could walk down a gravel road barefoot, no problem, when I was 10 or 12. However, now, if I walk over gravel or something totally barefoot, I look like I'm dying! I actually did a 8 mile hike this weekend with my kids, wearing my Xero Shoes sandals. These are like Tevas or Chacos, but the sole is just a thin layer of rubber. When I was in the Army, we'd do 12 mile ruck marches in GI leather boots. If I did that now, my feet would not make it, But back then we trained and wore those boots every day, so 12 miles with them and a pack didnt seem too bad. Wear what you are comfortable with, and wear something that you are completely "acclimated" to. I think alot of guys have problems with boots and footwear in the mountains because they buy a pair of boots in August, maybe wear them to work or around town for a week, then hit the mountains hard, in footwear that your body is really not acclimated to..

17-Jul-17
Most of these queries on the internet are useless, because what you will get is "what I just bought." I guess I'm doing the same thing. I have high volume feet, so I can't just buy the same stuff a lot of you can. I did find, years ago, the Han Wag Mountain Light from Lathrop and Sons. They are probably ten years old, were comfortable the day I bought them, and still in great shape after probably a thousand miles or better. Elk hunting, pheasant hunting, pig hunting in Oklahoma, Wyoming antelope.....scouting, and general hiking in the mountains. You name it, I have used them. They broke in like tennis shoes and don't weigh much. Only negative, the Gore-Tex liner is a little low in the back, so you'll get wet easier than you think. If you're crossing creeks, expect soggy socks. But darn, other than that....

17-Jul-17
Titan_Bow I agree

I can't believe I wore the shoes I did for the first 35 years of my life. Its not wonder I had ankle and knee issues - all the "support" and padding etc and bulk and weight and soles .... just horrible. I look at women's feet and cringe on how deformed they are :( because of the shoes they wear

• Sitka Gear