Greg S 22-Jun-17
del_binari 24-Jun-17
Elkstuffer 24-Jun-17
Dan Mallia 11-Jul-17
wkochevar 14-Aug-17
drycreek 14-Aug-17
LKH 14-Aug-17
20-Jun-17
I was the lucky guy that drew the one nonresident tag for Hart Mt archery pronghorn this year. After 18 years of building points in most of the western states I finally applied and will be going on my first "trophy quality" hunt out of state. I've been on 3 unsuccessful spot and stalk pronghorn hunts in MT. I plan on sitting water holes for this hunt as it starts on Aug 3rd and should be quite warm. If anyone has the slightest bit of info on this hunt or knows someone that might I would greatly appreciate it. I live 9+ hours from the unit so I'll be limited to one scouting trip with a ton of research to do in a short amount of time. Thank you!!!!!

21-Jun-17
Congrats. Nice antelope cover the entire unit, Lots of water holes to choose from. As you might suspect the easiest holes get the most pressure. Most blinds are set up at the earliest date possible. The refuge will send you information on the exact time and date that it is legal to place a blind. If you can't get there for that don't worry. Most will shoot nice goats early and vacate. Enjoy the refuge as it is a beautiful place with nice camping and friendly people from all walks of life.

21-Jun-17
Thanks TurboT, Yeah I'm feeling a little overwelmed as it is fast approaching. I was on the phone for a couple hours yesterday gleaning as much info as possible. Once I get that info packet things should start to fall into place. I'm planning a trip down on the 29th to do some scouting and place my blind. I am a little concerned about leaving a $400 double bull blind out there for 4 days unattended so I'll take a spare with me just in case it"s gone when I get back down. My 11 yr old son is going down with me for the hunt so we're looking forward to spending some time sight seeing after the hunt is over. Thanks again for the info!!!! Let me know if you think of anything else.

21-Jun-17
Hart mountain is an awesome place to hunt.I personally have drawn 4 deer tags there since the early 90's.I'very heard that there's lots of competition for the water holes during the goat hunt. Get there as early as you can and get your blind up. The biggest antelope I ever saw was up on top near the west rim. Good luck, this will be a hunt you will never forget.

21-Jun-17
Drive 4 fence posts in a square patter about 6 feet per side, go top of post to top of post with heavy wire to build a frame, and wrap in burlap. I did that decades before 2bulls were even a twinkle in some guy's eye. Night want to have some thing plywood wired to the top for sun protection. Will take about an hour or two to build and will cost about $40 or so. If there are cattle there drive four additional fence posts and add two strands of barbed wire.

21-Jun-17
I hunted the other end of the refuge on the Nevada side two years ago. It's a nice area with good numbers of goats and some big ones. The later it got in the hunt, the more action I saw from larger bucks.

Good luck. It's probably the only time you will hunt Oregon as a NR for antelope!

21-Jun-17
Go 3-4 days before the season starts and find and good waterhole to setup your blind, and just sit.......they will come.

21-Jun-17
The best and most popular camping is near the headquaters at the hot springs. There are limited spaces so have a back up plan. There is also camping at the post meadows horse camp, but there is no shade. Also a few spots on guano creek that are nice especially if you find a water hole on the southern part of the unit. OHA local chapters made a really nice camping area with fresh water on the western side of the unit. There are literally antelope everywhere from on top of warner peak to all the flats. You will have a greater challenge staying cool and entertaining your son during the long days! Don't forget chairs for the blind!! Most of the roads are really good gravel with some wash board areas. Some of the less travelled roads are very rocky and rough so a UTV/ATV is useful

21-Jun-17
Great info guys!! Thank you!! I'll be towing our new 28" travel trailer so I'm not sure if that will limit me on where to camp or not. I will also have a quad with me if you think I will use it much. I'll know more after my trip down the end of July. Keep the info coming if you think of anything else. Thanks again!!!!!

22-Jun-17
What was the best map of the unit that any of you found most useful? I ordered one from "The Friends of Hart Mountain" website. The USGS maps show spring locations but was last printed in 1991 so not sure how active they might be. Any thoughts?

22-Jun-17
It's a really cool place I spent almost 3 weeks there when I had the tag 3 years ago. First week scouting, then blind set up day. People will sit out in the desert a whole day prior to the setup deadline to save their spot. This is a wetter year though so there should be lots more holes than when I was there. Most people leave then till the day before season. Almost half will shoot their goat first day and leave. A few will struggle and be there all season. If you see a good goat you want pick water hole closest to him and good chance he will come to your hole. Pm me if you have further questions. I'm happy to help.

24-Jun-17
Piling on to Greg S's comment. If you see a dandy that you want to target, try to see where he goes for water. They will water at any time but I found the bigger bucks come in the morning thru to about 11-12, and some will come in at last light if they are pressured. Usually they will be within 100-300 yards of where they bed down in the morning, but they will start moving as soon as the barest sliver of light on the horizon in the morning. Find which water hole your buck is using. They will water at some and not others for what ever reason. I have seen them walk right by a water hole and go another mile to water. If there is lots of water, if they sense a hunter on a water hole they will pass it as well. For them to walk another mile or two for water is no big deal. The big ones get that way cause no one has out foxed them.

24-Jun-17
Great advise!!! Thank you! Let me know if you think of anything else.

11-Jul-17
I hope to draw that tag in 12 years! Good luck, can't wait to hear how it goes!

14-Aug-17
So I am interested in how this hunt went....??

14-Aug-17
wkochevar, you and me both !

14-Aug-17
Sent him a P.M. telling him of the interest.

• Sitka Gear