cnelk 21-Jun-17
Jaquomo 21-Jun-17
Jaquomo 22-Jun-17
320 bull 22-Jun-17
Cowhand 23-Jun-17
Jaquomo 23-Jun-17
Sivart 27-Jun-17
21-Jun-17
So, I guided in Wyoming for 4 years, but now I am hunting for my self. I have a friend in Colorado who has some experience in zone 7. Anyone hunted here before?

21-Jun-17
Hunted the area for deer this past year and hiked over in 7 on the east side of the Rawahs. Definitely some elk in there and the majority of the ones I have seen have definitely been over on the West side of those units toward the Rawahs. Pretty steep up top but the rest isn't too bad.

21-Jun-17
Thanks Nathan, its good to hear. I think my friend hunted somewhere around Eaton Reservoir last year during rifle and saw a few. I imagine we are going to have to head for higher country though.

21-Jun-17
I've only rode through that area. Did kill a few grouse down that way last year between there and Red Feathers. Great looking country though.

21-Jun-17
I hope you drew a license? Because there isnt any leftover archery tags for those units

21-Jun-17
Ya, I put in and drew a license. My friend lives just outside Fort Collins, and he advised me to put in because there hasn't been any left over for that unit.

21-Jun-17
Good luck to you. I keep driving right past those units

21-Jun-17
cnelk, I sent you a PM.

21-Jun-17
And I replied

21-Jun-17
There are a number of reasons why those units rank among the lowest public land archery success rates in the state. Low elk density, rugged country, tough access to where the majority of elk live in September, lots of beetle-kill and deadfall, CWD epicenter, hundreds of former unit 7 and 8 elk being fed on a couple ranches in WY in winter now that aren't coming back into CO for summer, overharvest of cows during rifle seasons seasonsthat whacked the herds way down.

There aren't any leftover tags anymore (or even any second choice) because the CPW cut way back on tags to try to bring the elk herds back. If you cover enough ground you'll find some elk - and meet lots of new friends!

22-Jun-17
Also, elevation has nothing to do with where the elk are in those units in September. They are pretty much evenly distributed from 6000' to 11,000'. You out need to find them wherever you are.

22-Jun-17
^^ That cracks me up. I also hunt farther west and can't help with info.

23-Jun-17
Thanks for the input everyone. I will have horses and mules to pack in and out, so rugged country is what I am looking for as long as there are at least a few elk :-).... From all I have seen the biggest bulls tend to hold up in the toughest country.

23-Jun-17
Good deal with the pack stock. That will help but the massive beetle kill deadfall in many areas will restrict were you can take them. Hopefully you'll have a chance to scout before the season so there are no big surprises. Several of my favorite spots are unhuntable now because of that.

The three biggest bulls I've seen in those units during archery season (I live in the middle of 8) were within 300 yards of main roads, if that tells you anything. All three were honest 360+ bulls, and were likely down there because of all the hunting pressure "up high and way back" from the go-getter bowhunters whose vehicles overflow the wilderness trailhead parking lots.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk about the units.

27-Jun-17
That used to be one of my fav goto places to hunt when there was leftover tags. It's where I taught myself to hunt elk 15 year ago. The beetlekill has completely changed everything. Hate to say it, but it really needs to burn, and start w/ new regrowth.

• Sitka Gear