Rob Nye 12-Nov-20
t-roy 12-Nov-20
Rob Nye 13-Nov-20
Rob Nye 13-Nov-20
Shiloh 13-Nov-20
lv2bohunt 13-Nov-20
Treeline 13-Nov-20
24-Jun-17
Considering buying a small tractor or ATV for my farmette/small acreage with some fairly steep terrain. I have 2 long driveways that require snow removal every few weeks in the winter. Any opinions on ATV efficiency for snow plowing would be appreciated. Maybe an ATV would be a wiser purchase than a small tractor???

24-Jun-17
I used my atv to plow my driveway in the winter work great for me. Get a v plow, or county plow is what I would recommend.

24-Jun-17
ATV works very well for my 200' sloped gravel driveway. With our heavy wet snow it is best to plow as it falls and not let it freeze into concrete. Why are we talking about this in June? Oh now I remember how I convinced my wife that I needed a four wheeler...yeah that's the ticket.

24-Jun-17
I can plow about 6" of snow with my Honda Rubicon 500 quad on our long driveway really fast. Once you get to a foot of new snow it takes a lot more effort, planning, ensuring the banks are back etc. That said it is amazing how much snow a quad will move. I've got a 5' Moose plow that can be readily angled to plow the driveway open in about 2 round-trips.

If it get too deep I fire up the 43 HP John Deere tractor with MFWD and a loader. When I lived in Leadville, CO I had a 6' rotary blower on the tractor three point hitch/PTO to deal with 200" annual snow falls. Sold that when I moved to Canada where we expect 5 or 10% of that most winters.

24-Jun-17
I have long drive way in Mi. and my 500 Polaris quad was not enough machine at times . I had to put new clutch in after it was stolen from dealership , while being serviced , after that I used my dads tractors .

24-Jun-17
If you want an ATV anyway, I'd go with that, but I think you'd be better off with a tractor or a skid loader. A few years back I sold a 97' F-250 with a plow for $4400.....I should have just kept the damn thing for what I got out of it. The shell and ladder racks were about $2k new.

24-Jun-17
Cant beat the truck with plow . I got 95 f-150 last year and put brand new plow on , so much warmer than tractor or quad . I use my quad for hunting only now .

24-Jun-17
I plowed with a Yamaha Kodak and a Moose plow for about 8 years here in Michigan.... it was very hard on the quad..... I have a Honda now and if I ever have a long driveway again I'll get a plow on my truck. It was fun plowing though.... I did 3 or 4 of my neighbors driveways all the time too.

24-Jun-17
Kodiak..... My Moose plow was top of the line.... WAY better than most plows ive seen for quads.

24-Jun-17
Just remember you have to have someplace to push the snow. I don't so I have a honda snowblower with tracks. Blow it over the fence into the neighbors yard(they don't come up to the mts. in the winter.

Terry

24-Jun-17
I appreciate all the responses. Actually, I drive an older GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 as my day to day vehicle - so putting a plow on that is certainly an option. Is a plow blade difficult to put on the PU if one would only need it only every so often? I would not want it on the PU throughout the winter. I really know nothing about plow blades for PUs - if I went that route, what brand names should I start looking at? I do think I can justify a ATV or a tractor due to other jobs (hauling firewood, mulch, brush, etc.) but just wanting to make the best choice before taking the leap.

24-Jun-17
I live in NE Pa.. and since 1999 when I bought my Yamaha Kodiak 400 I have used it to plow snow all the time... I got a pretty good amount to plow, driveway, parking area and around the house.. I can tell ya I'd be lost without it...Bought it new and still got the original tires. I keep it tuned and oil/filter changed regularly... One thing I would advise ya to do is what I did several years ago, and that is put chains on the rear tires... It will turn that baby into a real snow plow machine... Well worth the effort...

24-Jun-17
I bought the brand of snow plow closest to my house . They came in light , medium , and industrial , medium duty is what I went with . I was going to get used one , but after looking at plows , I went and spent the cash on new one . They put the plow on and once on , the plow is easy to take off . To put back on its easier to have someone to watch you pull up and make sure you are lined up ,but you can do by yourself .

24-Jun-17
I have a Yamaha Big Bear 400, been plowing with it for about 10 years. It worked fine in Leadville, and now in south central Colorado. No problems with the usual light fluffy snow we get most of the winter. It is a little bit tougher when we get loaded up with the heavy late spring snow, but like stated above just get out and keep up with it. I enjoy bundling up and pushing snow around.

24-Jun-17
I also have a Yamaha Big Bear 400. Pushes snow just just fine especially with better after market tires. If you really want some traction put some chains on the atv.

The real question is do you want an atv or do you want the push snow? :)

photo 2245A29D-5D6A-48FE-99B9-806811C3C1D8_zpsjf5xexjm.jpg

24-Jun-17
I use a 700 Polaris and have for 5+ years and it works great. 12"-14" of fresh snow powder no issue. Actually took it in for a little service work and wench snapped this year. Will be just a little bit shorter. Great unit all year too.

24-Jun-17
I have a Kawasaki prairie with a plow. It has worked fine, though tedious, until last winter. We got hit hard and my 1/3 mile driveway got very narrow. My neighbor, who has a plow truck, had to get a grader to push his banks back. I am picking up a tractor with a bucket next week. The woods roads up here were impassable several times last winter until a D7 could bust a couple of them open.

24-Jun-17
I plow more snow with my Honda Rubicon and 60" County plow than most of the neighbors do with their tractors or trucks. The nice thing is that I don't have a plow mount hanging off my daily driver truck either. That said, the older I get the more appealing a heated cab sounds;)

24-Jun-17
I plow snow with a Honda foreman, that has a manual foot shift. I can move a lot of snow. I have a long driveway, and also plow the private road we live on. in 1st or 2nd gear, with chains on the rear tires and the front diff locked, never the slightest hiccup moving large amounts of snow. it is a beast and one of the best purchases I made.

24-Jun-17
all of the newer plows for trucks, the plow and hydraulics simply detaches from the frame. They're not like old school plows where you have the lights and hydraulics permanently attached to the front of your truck. Most trucks, you can hardly tell they have a plow for them if you don't know what to look for.

24-Jun-17
I lived on a ridge top in Wasilla, AK where days of 40-50 mph winds were common. Got a plow for my Yamaha and ended up taking it back. I could only move snow to the north where the winds came from. What happened was if I made a ridge of snow, it simply extended and heightened the drift zone. At times the snow would be so hard you could drive on it. I ended up getting a snowblower and made every attempt to keep up.

When I couldn't I would chop blocks out and take them on a slider type scoop across the road and dump them off a 15' drop.. It was a great exercise program.

25-Jun-17

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I mainly use a snowblower but after the plow trucks come thru and bury my driveway entrance---I go to my 6x6 w/snowplow!

Pic/summer though

Good luck, Robb

25-Jun-17
I plow my driveway with a foreman and can push a lot of light snow but guessing it ain't going to work uphill or sidehill.

25-Jun-17
You can buy a smaller used 40 HP tractor with a bucket and rear blade cheaper than a new ATV. Plus, when you get high winds and a 3 ft. plug in your drive, you'll be glad you did. Dale: you stated you have small acreage. Try pulling fence post with an ATV! A bucket on a tractor is like having a truck. Once you own one you'll wonder how you ever got by without it!!!!!!!!!!!!

25-Jun-17
I plowed with a truck for many years and ATV only 1. I now have a 54" blower on a John Deer 783 sub-compact tractor ($13k with 54" blower & 54" mower decks). You can get a hard cab with defroster/heater too. Will never use an ATV or my truck again. I never put the plow on the last 2 years. I have a lot of driveway, 1500'+ and 4 parking areas. With a plow you start 60' wide in December and you are lucky to have 20' wide in April. Then come out the front end loader to move some banks. My blower is 5 passes up the driveway the first snowfall and 5 passes the last.

26-Jun-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
It works okay and I use an atv because I already had one but for an acreage, I would get the small tractor.

26-Jun-17
I think the ATV works well for plowing snow. I have a 60" Eagle plow. My driveway is over 100 yards long but I also own a 33" snow blower. The problem with the plow is if you have multiple snows or very deep snow and you can't push it far enough out of your way. It starts by making your driveway wider than typical to accomodate snow that MAY come. I wanted a new ATV for hunting so I went that route. If I didn't want an ATV and could do it over probably would get a tractor with a blower. I don't think the tractor has to be big either. My neighbor has a blower on his Craftsmen riding mower and it works rather well.

26-Jun-17
I'm working on my wife as we speak using this exact angle...

26-Jun-17
I use a Yamaha 700 to plow at my place back East. Plowing drier (fluffy) snow with an ATV is fine. Easy enough up to 6 or 8 inches. Wet snow, or more snow, can be problematic.

A couple things make it more efficient. Try and plow downhill rather than uphill. Your ATV transmission will last longer!

Also, get a set of chains for all 4 wheels. I put my chains on by taking the wheels off the bike and bringing the wheels into the warm shop. Let some air out of the tires, put on and tighten chains. Reinflate tires to proper pressure. Then put tires back on bike. If you have "ends" of chain flapping in the breeze, use zip ties to snug them down so they don't beat your fenders to death or rip out a brake line.

Using the winch on the bike to lift/lower plow can be tough on the cable and cable connections. There are rubber "bumpers" made that slip onto the cable between the hook and the winch. A cheaper solution is to instead use a "Kong" rubber dog toy from a pet or feed store. Half the price and it lasts longer.

Pete

09-Nov-20
I have been plowing a lot, for 12 years with a Yamaha Big Bear 400 and Yamaha plow. Our snow is usually pretty light but we get plenty of the wet heavy cement type snow in the spring. ATV's work great.

09-Nov-20
I have been plowing a lot, for 12 years with a Yamaha Big Bear 400 and Yamaha plow. Our snow is usually pretty light but we get plenty of the wet heavy cement type snow in the spring. ATV's work great.

09-Nov-20
My primary is a 40 H.P cabbed tractor with an 8' FEL mounted plow;used my old Kawasaki for a lot of years.Just purchased a 2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 and Moose plow for the light stuff and tighter spots.

09-Nov-20
Pig Doc...........What is the rig in the bed of your Ranger??

10-Nov-20
That’s roughing it in style! ;-)

10-Nov-20
If I had that setup I would be extremely disappointed when the ice melted.

10-Nov-20
An ATV wouldn't begin to touch the heavier snow storms we get. I use my New Holland 45 HP tractor with a front end loader. I usually end up plowing my neighbors out at least a few times a year, too. I really enjoy plowing, and my tractor has multiple uses around my ranch. I use it far more than my ATV.

Matt

10-Nov-20
I'm with Grey Ghost. I wouldn't stand a chance with just an ATV with plow attachment. I also run 45 hp tractor with front loader and a 78" snow blower on the back, and some times it's a job to clear the snow with those.

10-Nov-20

Treeline's embedded Photo
Have used the hell out of my ATV plowing snow in Leadville and Steamboat for a lot of years. Have a Kawasaki 650 with a plow I bought from Cabelas.

I can think of only one time when it was not enough to get out just with the ATV and plow. Last February we had a big storm with a lot of wind that packed in about 3’ of snow in front of the garage. The snow was really packed in tight and no place to push to so had to shovel out a trail to the road that the plow trucks had cleared and push it out an edge at a time.

It took a while but the wife was still able to get to work before 7:00 am.

If we have a big snow year, I sometimes have to get a skid steer in to buck back.

We bought a snowblower last year after that big storm that should make a difference.

10-Nov-20
Like Treeline, I had a place in Leadville, CO for a while. Never had a plow quad there, but it would have been useful. I used a 43 HP JD tractor with a heated cab, 6' blower on the three-point hitch plus the bucket on the front. Easy to keep the banks back with that combo. The first year I lived there..winter '08-'09 we had over 200" of snow in town, and it drifted constantly out on our 40 acres. A quad would have handled usual daily drifts, but not the blizzards.

In BC, I have a plow quad (Yamaha Grizzly with a QD Warn plow) and still have the tractor...although I sold the cab and snowblower down in CO when I moved. The tractor gets used once every other year or so for snow removal. Glad I still have it around but typically get by with the ATV.

With that I'm headed out to put the plow on the Grizzly.....4" of fresh snow this morning.

10-Nov-20
I have had a plow truck since 1972. I had an ATV with plow. In 2012 I bought a small John Deere with a 54" blower. I never used the plow truck or ATV plow since.....and I have very large (2000'+) driveway and 3 parking areas.

++ 6 passes down the driveway the first snowfall. 6 passes the last snowfall in April. No need starting with 60' wide hoping for 25' in April.

++ No snow banks to look over or around OR banks that need to be moved with the front end loader.

++ NO gravel in the driveway.

++ No sliding into a tree with the truck.

10-Nov-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I agree, Chad, an ATV would probably work for a guy in PA, but it still wouldn't be my preference. I just really love my little tractor. There are so many more uses for it around my place, including snow removal. It also makes a good deer hauler and skinning hoist.

;-)

Matt

12-Nov-20

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
CanAm 500 XT has been working great on my place for last 12 years. You have to make extra room for snowbanks yet to come on the first plow of the year. I agrre some days a cab would be nice tho might have to look into a tractor with snowblower.

12-Nov-20

12-Nov-20
Cabs are for sissies, Rob! ;-)

13-Nov-20
t-roy; you are absolutely correct shame on me for nearly getting old and soft. That is why I always let my guides drive this sissy wagon and and I stick to quads or Argos.

13-Nov-20

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo

13-Nov-20
We don’t need all that crap down here in Mississippi. When it snows down here we just suck it up and walk through it;)

13-Nov-20
It can snow a 1/2 in Arkansas and we close the schools and clear out the grocery store shelves!

13-Nov-20
When I lived in Leadville, it would snow throughout the entire school year. Only time they shut down was when they had some heater issues and it was -20.

Never shut anything down for a little snow in the high country! Heck, that is the busy season for the majority of the towns in the mountains in Colorado!

• Sitka Gear